September 7, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

September 7, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:11 pm

Criticism

"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
Proverbs 25:11

How a person reacts to criticism often means the difference between success and failure. Take the case of Ole Bull, the famous Norwegian violinist of the past century.

His practical father, a chemist, sent him to the University of Christiania to study for the ministry and forbade him to play his beloved violin. He promptly flunked out and, defying his father, devoted all his time and energy to the violin.

Unfortunately, though he had great ability, his teachers were relatively unskilled, so that by the time he was ready to start his concert tour he wasn't prepared.

In Italy a Milan newspaper critic wrote: "He is an untrained musician. If he be a diamond, he is certainly in the rough and unpolished."

There were two ways Ole Bull could have reacted to that criticism. He could have let it make him angry, or he could learn from it.

Fortunately he chose the latter. He went to the newspaper office and asked to see the critic. The astounded editor introduced him. Ole spent the evening with the 70-year-old critic, asked about his faults, and sought the older man's advice on how to correct them.

Then he canceled the rest of his tour, returned home, and spent the next six months studying under really able teachers.

He practiced hours upon hours to overcome his faults. Finally, he returned to his concerts and, when only 26, became the sensation of Europe.

Prayer: Ask God to help you listen for words that will help you to grow, even if they may be wrapped in criticism.

"He has the right to criticize who has the heart to help."
~Abraham Lincoln.
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Postby c.t.,girl » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:16 pm

i don't think he should have gone up to the 70 yr old man and done that. and if you're directing that prayer towards e'ery1 then thanx. we all need criticism, that's how we becum better at what we are srivin' for.
[color="DarkOrange"]"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things... hey... the good things don't always soften the bad things; but vice-versa the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things and make them unimportant." -11th Doctor

"The advice I like to give young artists, or really anybody who’ll listen to me, is not to wait around for inspiration. Inspiration is for amateurs; the rest of us just show up and get to work. If you wait around for the clouds to part and a bolt of lightning to strike you in the brain, you are not going to make an awful lot of work. All the best ideas come out of the process; they come out of the work itself. Things occur to you. If you’re sitting around trying to dream up a great art idea, you can sit there a long time before anything happens. But if you just get to work, something will occur to you and something else will occur to you and something else that you reject will push you in another direction. Inspiration is absolutely unnecessary and somehow deceptive. You feel like you need this great idea before you can get down to work, and I find that’s almost never the case." - Chuck Close[/color]
c.t.,girl

Postby Riku777 » Mon Sep 06, 2004 8:20 pm

it's a great lesson to learn but ct girl if he did the right thing why do u think he shouldn't hve done that?
Adopted by Sammy-chu ^-^ *Wishes Sam*ron would come and visit sometimes*

Proud Owner of a limited edition Kaemmerite (AKA Nate) Plushi!!!

Mary had a little lamb.... AND THEN I ATE IT >:D BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :evil:
Locke wrote:When life gives you lemons, make it into a blog and get comments. =/

Nate wrote:[color=black]Screw TNT: CAA Knows Drama.
[/color]
[color=#ffa500]"Thank you for killing this thread...
dragging it's poor comatose body into
the freeway....and allowing the trucks
of rabbits trails of offtopicness drive it
into the pavement. Please, feel free to
spit on it's skid mark remains.
You monster."
-Ark

[/color]
(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
[color=lime](> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination... [/color]Or I'll eat you, all up. Mwahahahahaha
@_@All my base are belong to bunny@_@
[color=mediumturquoise]猿]
Riku777

Location: Where we live in Igloos, it's below freezing ALL the time and where we talk about the Hockey Lockout

Return to Devotional Readings