August 4, 2004

Devotional guides to help strengthen your walk in Christ

August 4, 2004

Postby Rev. Doc » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:30 pm

Enemies

"But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you,"
Matthew 5:44

God is a God of love. That love is directed towards every man, woman, boy and girl. He has called us, His children, likewise to be a people of love taking his example. But if we are to love everyone like He does, that means those we might consider enemies will be included. Can we really do that? If we are serious about being everything He wants us to be we will.

Peter Miller was a Baptist pastor who lived in Ephrata, Pennsylvania during the American Revolution. It was his fortune to enjoy the friendship of George Washington. In Ephrata also lived Michael Wittman, an evil-minded sort who did all he could to oppose and humiliate the pastor. One day Michael Wittman was arrested for treason and sentenced to die. Peter Miller traveled seventy miles on foot to Philadelphia to plead for the life of the traitor. "No, Peter," General Washington said. "I cannot grant you the life of your friend." "My friend!" exclaimed the old preacher. "He's the bitterest enemy I have." "What?" cried Washington. "You've walked seventy miles to save the life of an enemy? That puts the matter in different light. I'll grant your pardon." And he did. Peter Miller took Michael Wittman back home to Ephrata--no longer an enemy but a friend.

Prayer: Ask the Lord to give you the ability to love everyone, even those you might consider enemies. Pray to have a positive influence in their lives for Christ.

"If we could read the secret history of our enemies, we should find in each man's life sorrow and suffering enough to disarm all hostility."
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
"The secret of a good sermon is to have a good beginning and a good ending, then having the two as close together as possible."
~George Burns
Rev. Doc

Return to Devotional Readings