How has CAA helped shape your viewing habits?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

How has CAA helped shape your viewing habits?

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:26 am

I've been on this site for years, and not only has it helped me become a better Christian, it's also helped my viewing habits. Are there any ways this site has helped to shape your viewing habits? Such as, titles you were introduced to because of discussions and reviews, that sort of thing.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:30 am

I'm not sure what you mean by viewing habits?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:35 am

I mean are there any shows you watched because you read reviews or discussions on this site?
I'll give an example for me: Haibane Renmei. I saw the old review we had for it and thought, hm this might be interesting. Then I watched it and I loved it!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TopazRaven » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:54 am

Ah, I see! Sorry, I was having a moment. Hm...I don't think I've watched an anime yet due to reviews on here, but that's just me being lazy.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Maokun » Thu Sep 15, 2011 10:29 am

Well, I owe my watching Madoka to the CAA, and that's a pretty big deal.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Gojira » Thu Sep 15, 2011 5:41 pm

It really hasn't influenced any of my viewing habits...
Gojira

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Sep 15, 2011 6:09 pm

CAA prompted me to watch Princess Tutu and to start reading One Piece. For these things, I am grateful.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:43 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1504726) wrote:CAA prompted me to watch Princess Tutu

Same here.

There were some other titles I'd heard of and thought of watching, and then reading reviews on here helped me make my decision. I can't really recall very many though, because I typically looked at reviews because I wasn't sure if I could handle the content, and then after reading the review I decided I would prefer just not watching. :sweat: Lol. XD :eyeroll:
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Sep 15, 2011 8:49 pm

Without CAA my anime experience probably would have ended with Bleach & Naruto, I would have lost interest there an moved on to other things.

I wouldn't have seen Trigun and Soul Eater, or read FMA. I would never have watched Spice and Wolf or Durarara!! or be watching FMA:B and Ghost in the Shell:SAC. I wouldn't care about a 'Penguindrum'

So thanks guys, for keeping me from wasting my time on youtube and sleeping in on Sunday mornings.

... and ponies. I blame you for the ponies, without you guys I wouldn't have accepted the idea that ponies could not suck, let alone be worth some of my time.

So thank you CAA for making my life...

:cool:

20% cooler.

YEEAAAAAAAH!!!!!
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby AnimeGirl » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm

Well, I got good insight from the CAA people to get into both the manga and anime of Fullmetal Alchemist. I actually never planned on watching it. When I saw one of the ads for it on a Tsubasa volume for the anime I didn't think it was all that appealing. But seriously, the series is BETTER than that trailer. I was so glad I was urged to give it a try. Now it's one of my top favorites and, believe it or not, out of all the secular anime and manga I enjoy, makes me think of God.

Also, reading the old manga review for Dream Saga got me curious and so I tried it out. Loved it. I need to procure the last 3 volumes. As well as I got into Kimi ni Todoke via recommendation. I also discovered the site CrunchyRoll!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Neane » Fri Sep 16, 2011 1:52 am

I found Iria - Zeiram the Animation because of CAA. That caused me to watch it and find more anime like it. For that, I thank CAA.
Neane

Postby AngelicTotoro » Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:49 pm

I never would have bothered with SDF Macross if it weren't for some people on here talking about how great it was, (I heard about Minmay being nude at one part and had decided not to watch it, but then my brother pointed out that I could always skip past that scene... Ah, why hadn't I thought of that? 0_o)
Also, Rurouni Kenshin didn't look like the type of show I'd like, but again, people here were talking about how fantastic it was so... yes. I watched it and I love it.
The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want. He makes me lie down in green pastures; He leads me beside quiet waters. He restores my soul; He guides me in paths of righteousness For His name's sake. Even though I walk though the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; for thou art with me; Thy rod and Thy staff, they comfort me. Thou dost prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies; Thou hast anointed my head with oil; My cup overflows. Surely goodness and lovingkindness will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
AngelicTotoro

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:19 pm

I watched a few shows I wouldn't have taken notice of otherwise, like Maruwaru Penguindrum. The individual threads devoted to a particular series makes me take notice, because it's *almost* guaranteed to be good!
Atria35

Postby sandalwood » Thu Sep 29, 2011 8:10 pm

Basically, all it's done for me so far is helped me feel more comfortable watching anime (as I've heard a lot of Christian anime haterz bash the entire entertainment medium like crazy) and it's made me a little more uncomfortable with Yu Yu Hakusho because of the review.
:pikka: My DeviantART :pikka:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

(╯°__°)╯︵ ┻━┻ - Mark 11: 15-17

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="3"]~Life doesn't have to be perfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]believe[/color] in God.
~It doesn't have to be imperfect for us to [color="YellowGreen"]need[/color] Him.[/SIZE][/font]
sandalwood

Postby MightiMidget » Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:54 am

It's helped me understand the medium better overall, in addition to giving me the resources to sift between things that have content I might not want to deal with. CAA has also helped me find the majority of the anime I've watched with blkmage's season guides.
MightiMidget

Postby ABlipinTime » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:41 pm

Like MomentofInertia, I watched Trigun because of CAA. I also tried FMA, but didn't like it. But I have begun to consider watching more anime than I normally would have, thanks to CAA
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Smileloviene » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:18 pm

It's given me a place where I can talk to others about anime without being 'weird' ;) Which is nice. the reviews have also kept me from watching a few things I shouldn't have been tempted to anyway, and helped me find some awesome titles like "Wolf's Rain" and a few others. I'm grateful :thumb:
[font="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="4"][color="DarkOrchid"]The LORD God is my strength, and he will make my feet like hinds' feet, and he will make me to walk upon mine high places. ~ Habakkuk 3:19[/color][/SIZE][/font][PHP][/PHP]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Yellow"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color][color="Cyan"][font="Comic Sans MS"]Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/font][/color]
Smileloviene

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Oct 02, 2011 7:12 pm

Atria35 (post: 1505194) wrote:I watched a few shows I wouldn't have taken notice of otherwise, like Maruwaru Penguindrum. The individual threads devoted to a particular series makes me take notice, because it's *almost* guaranteed to be good!

^Pretty much this, for me. I don't think I'd have ever seen The Tatami Galaxy, Spice and Wolf, Natsume Yujincho, or any of a bunch of other really good anime.

Or ponies. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Yamamaya » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:00 pm

I was introduced to Madoka thanks to blkmage.
Yamamaya

Postby ich1990 » Sun Oct 02, 2011 11:56 pm

Well, the people and reviews on here gave me a reason to keep watching anime and reading manga, so CAA didn't shape my viewing habits as much as create them.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon Oct 03, 2011 10:49 am

ich1990 (post: 1508150) wrote:...CAA didn't shape my viewing habits as much as create them.
^ This!

In my case, because I found CAA right as I was just starting to get into anime and manga, it has definitely been an actual creator of my viewing (and reading) habits, as well. :) And that's a very good thing!!
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby theladyeri » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 pm

the reviews on this site have introduced me to less common manga and anime that has been wonderful! there are some titles that I never would have tried but for caa! It is also helpful to be able to see the objectionable content in a series, that is always a good thing.
[font="Arial Black"]A moment of thought bests a year of mindless talk.[/font]
theladyeri

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:53 pm

I'm certain it's not the intent of the OP, but this thread has certainly made my day. It's gratifying to see how sacrifices made by the mods and conversations generated by the members have effected people. :D Thanks, guys!
Mithrandir

Postby rocklobster » Sat Oct 22, 2011 5:50 am

Actually, Mith, that was my intent. I was wondering how much help this site has been to its members. I've been introduced to many titles thanks to the people at this site. In addition to Haibane Renmei, I got into the following as well:
Slayers
Rahxephon
Cowboy Bebop
Princess Tutu
Angelic Layer

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GeneD » Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:09 am

The site and specifically the podcast is a big source of what to watch/read for me. Baccano, Durarara, Birdy the Mighty Decode, Paprika, Higurashi, Bakemonogatari, and Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro are some of the anime I watched because of CAA and pretty much all the manga I read too.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews