[Let's Discuss!] Usagi Drop: Single Parenting 101

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

[Let's Discuss!] Usagi Drop: Single Parenting 101

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:37 am

Earlier this month, I discovered an anime that is, for all intents and purposes, the cutest freaking show I've ever seen since "Hamtaro". (And yes, I actually watched "Hamtaro". Don't look at me like that.)

The show is called "Usagi Drop" or "Bunny Drop". The story follows 30-Year-Old Daikichi as he goes to his maternal grandfathers funeral. When he arrives, he meets a shy little 6-year-old girl in a black dress named Rin. It is soon revealed that the girl was the lovechild of Daikichi's grandfather and maid. The mother abandoned Rin, leaving grandpa to raise the little girl until his death. Naturally this is a big scandal to the rest of the family who would just as well have nothing to do with the little girl. Daikichi, having established a small bond with the child during the funeral, and tired of his family trying to pass the buck, steps up and takes little Rin into his home. And thus "Usagi Drop" begins, following Daikichi and Rin as they adapt to their new living situation, taking on the day-to-day challenges of being a single-parent household.

Sooo...that being said...what do you guys think of this show? I found it very refreshing, very nice and gentle, and the individual stories up to this point are really well narrated.
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:23 am

Love it. I loved it before it aired- I'd been reading the manga for at least a year... year and a half before the anime aired. I like how it deals with some fairly realistic issues in Japan. People who's parents died are often shuffled on relatives that often don't want the 'burden'. I admit to not knowing the full story, but it's a cultural thing.

And then you also have the trauma of dealing with death that Rin goes through, which was handled in a wonderfully sensitive way.

But them slowly getting to know and like eachother... it's just beautiful. You can see in the way they treat eachother and say that they love eachother, and it warms my heart! I admit, the anime only covered pre-timeskip, and I haven't read much of the timeskip, so I really want to know how it turns out.
Atria35

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:37 am

Atria35 (post: 1504320) wrote:And then you also have the trauma of dealing with death that Rin goes through, which was handled in a wonderfully sensitive way.

I agree. I love the fact that it wasn't all "magically resolved" by the second episode. We actually see how this girl works through this whole situation and how it shapes her personality. I also love the fact that we see how Daikichi changes as well and all the sacrifices he has to make in order to make sure he is there for Rin]

Atria35 (post: 1504320) wrote:But them slowly getting to know and like each other... it's just beautiful. You can see in the way they treat eachother and say that they love each other, and it warms my heart!

[color=RoyalBlue]Watching all of relationships develop is one of the hallmarks of this series. It happens so gradually and so naturally, you can't help but love it. I love the episodes that involve the relationships with Yukari and Kouki. They make such a nice family, and there's this harmony with the four of them that really makes this series a joy to watch.

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby blkmage » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:34 pm

Usagi Drop is fantastic, largely because its characters act how you would expect normal humans to behave.
blkmage

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:03 pm

I fell in love with the first episode.

The anime is beautiful. The animation is stunning, the music is both sweet and catchy, the characters are amazing.

They all feel so....Human.

The plot never feels forced, and the comedy is spot on for anyone with siblings or cousins or anyone who has ever babysat. Honestly, if you were a kid, chances are you can relate somehow to this series. (I think I may have been a Reina who cried allllllll the time...My poor parents....)

Everything feels so real. Rin and Daikichi`s relationship, the problems the characters face, everything is spot on.

I know if this ever gets dubbed I going to force my mom and dad to watch it.
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Fri Sep 16, 2011 12:06 am

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1504788) wrote:The plot never feels forced, and the comedy is spot on for anyone with siblings or cousins or anyone who has ever babysat. Honestly, if you were a kid, chances are you can relate somehow to this series. (I think I may have been a Reina who cried allllllll the time...My poor parents....)

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]There were moments when I could completely relate to what some of the older characters were going through with regards to the kids. My nephew had a lot of Kouki in him when he was growing up. The humor is not so much joke-based as it is situation-based which makes this series click. [/color][/SIZE][/font]

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1504788) wrote:I know if this ever gets dubbed I going to force my mom and dad to watch it.

[font="Trebuchet MS"][SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"]That's a good topic of discussion right there. Who would you like to see get the license for this show, and who would you like to see cast? [/color][/SIZE][/font]

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby TWWK » Fri Sep 16, 2011 6:53 am

The show is excellent. It deals with very real issues in a fairly realistic way. In fact, I found myself connecting to characters and parenting issues in every single episode, even though I'm not a single parent. FANTASTIC show.

Hmm...casting...that's a great question. I wanna hear what others think as well.

Oh, and by the way, Hamtaro was a very good show. :)
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Mouse2010 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:52 am

I finally watched the last episode today. This was so good . . . for all the reasons people mentioned. I am always a sucker for a series with good character development, but what I really liked about the development in this was how slow and subtle it was. I liked how gradually the friendship between Daikichi and Rin and Yukari and Kouki develops, until by episode 10 and 11 they do function more like family or life-long friends.
Mouse2010

Postby battletech » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:16 am

I'm going to mess it. It was one of those little bright spots in my week.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:18 am

And for casting, I have no idea.... I almost want to say it would be better to have unknowns, or go with the approach that the sub took and cast age appropriate. (Rin's actress is only 10, from what I've read.)
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Atria35 » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:01 pm

A_Yellow_Dress (post: 1506641) wrote:or go with the approach that the sub took and cast age appropriate. (Rin's actress is only 10, from what I've read.)

This. I can tell when a 20 year old woman is trying to sound 10 (in English, because I'm a native speaker), and it is almost always massive fail.
Atria35

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:32 pm

I would agree with the age-specific casting for the kids. If I recall correctly, Aaron Dismuke was around about the same age as Alphonse in the original "Fullmetal Alchemist" series and he was awesome in the role. As for the adults, the only voice that I can think of casting with any sort of confidence is Travis Willingham as Daikichi. I like the more subtile, quiet work he did in "Mushi-Shi" and I think he could play the role of flustered single parent quite well.

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby AdriantheSecond » Mon Sep 26, 2011 1:55 pm

Saw this thread the other day and decided to give Usagi Drop a try. I'm about half-way through (I'm sick right now so I have plenty of time to watch anime), and I LOVE it. It's adorable. I enjoy watching Rin and Daikichi become closer, and Rin's moments remind me of my 5 year old sister. I really don't entirely understand Rin's mother, but I guess in some respects I can. I suppose I feel like Daikichi; Rin's just so cute, how could her mother not want her? XD
AdriantheSecond

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:06 pm

[quote="AdriantheSecond (post: 1507074)"]I really don't entirely understand Rin's mother, but I guess in some respects I can. I suppose I feel like Daikichi]
I think this is a cultural thing that's present (but to a lesser extent) in the US/Western world. Over in Japan, when you get pregnant and have a kid, that's it. You have no career after that. You stay home and raise the children as a housewife. You give up everything career-wise, and ths is reinforced by the companies and people around you. It's touched on more in the manga, but Daikichi's mom suffered because she was give aaaaallll the stressed of raising a kid (dads don't really factor into that over there- not in the way we expect them to) and then had to work, too.

So she really did have to make a choice. It was either following her dream or having Rin, and as cute as Rin was, her mom wasn't ready to give up on her dream.
Atria35

Postby ABlipinTime » Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:27 pm

anyone seen the movie?
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby AdriantheSecond » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:08 pm

Atria35 (post: 1507076) wrote:I think this is a cultural thing that's present (but to a lesser extent) in the US/Western world. Over in Japan, when you get pregnant and have a kid, that's it. You have no career after that. You stay home and raise the children as a housewife. You give up everything career-wise, and ths is reinforced by the companies and people around you. It's touched on more in the manga, but Daikichi's mom suffered because she was give aaaaallll the stressed of raising a kid (dads don't really factor into that over there- not in the way we expect them to) and then had to work, too.

So she really did have to make a choice. It was either following her dream or having Rin, and as cute as Rin was, her mom wasn't ready to give up on her dream.

I can understand that...not super-far along so I don't know much about Rin's mother yet. :) I think it's partly a little hard for me to understand because I'm from a family of seven. XD Having five younger siblings just changes the perspective of a whole lot of things. I definitely am going to read the manga though, since I like this show alot.
AdriantheSecond

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:44 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1507080) wrote:anyone seen the movie?

Nope, but I really want to, though. From the trailer I've seen it looks really good. Interesting thing to note is that Kenichi Matsuyama, better known as "L" in the live action "Death Note" movies, will be playing Daikichi in the Usagi Drop movie. That will be interesting to watch!

KhakiBlueSocks

Postby TheMewster » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:47 pm

This show sounds great! Where can I watch it legally? God bless!
So the poor has hope, and injustice shuts her mouth. ~Job 5:16 WEB~
For you are my hope, Lord Yahweh; my confidence from my youth. ~Psalm 71:5 WEB~
TheMewster

Postby Atria35 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:28 pm

TheMewster (post: 1507309) wrote:This show sounds great! Where can I watch it legally? God bless!

Crunchyroll.com
Atria35

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:22 pm

I'm totally watching this next.
I loved a show with a similar premise: Aishiteruze Baby, so I'm sure I'll enjoy this.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews