Which Ghibli film deserves a sequel?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Which Ghibli film deserves a sequel?

Postby sonicfan » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:20 pm

Studio Ghibli announced that Porco Rosso is going to have a sequel. Which other movies that Ghibli has produced do you think deserves a sequel?

For me, I would say Whisper of the Heart. While the ending was alright, alittle more could have been told in the plot of the movie. (Dont say the The Cat Returns is a sequel. Although, Wikipedia labels it as a sequel, I considered it more of a spinoff.
sonicfan

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:37 pm

Can we vote on which one deserves a redo? I would vote Howl's, myself.
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Jul 09, 2011 4:38 pm

With Mamoru Hosoda as the director, I hope.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:41 pm

The good ones tend to feel complete when they're done, so I can't think of any off the top of my head.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Rri X » Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:59 pm

They all seem finished to me, but I'd love to see another featuring the Totoro. :)
Rri X

Postby ChristianKitsune » Mon Jul 11, 2011 2:35 am

I think Howl's was fine, considering the source material. I like both the book and the movie.

I'm REALLY mixed on Porco Rosso getting a sequel. I'd like a backstory, but not anything afterwards. It FELT done to me.

I guess I'd like a sequel to Spirited Away. I want to see Chihiro and Haku when they are older.
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 4:24 am

I love most of the Studio Ghibli movies and think they're all pretty complete without sequels. That said, I would love to the rest of the Nausicca manga made into movies (with a less nihilistic ending).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby TWWK » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:54 am

You know, it seemed like the fan reaction toward a Porco Rosso sequel (is this confirmed? last I heard it wasn't for sure) was decidedly negative. But I thought it was a fantastic idea. The new film is open for a lot of exploration - besides our hero, no character would have to return, leaving room for Miyazaki's imagination. There's also a lot that could be explored by either moving the film to an earlier time or to a later one, in terms of setting.

The Whisper of the Heart manga has a nice final chapter, but not something that could fill a movie. And the original film was all about the beauty of youth - I think moving to a later stage in the protagonists' lives would totally defeat what Whisper of the Heart is all about.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:31 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1490153) wrote:I love most of the Studio Ghibli movies and think they're all pretty complete without sequels. That said, I would love to the rest of the Nausicca manga made into movies (with a less nihilistic ending).

Wouldn't that kind of defeat the message of the manga, though?
Atria35

Postby Nami » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:05 am

I'm with Kit-chan. The only film I'd like to see a sequel to is Spirited Away. That one felt good, but it left a nice gap for a sequel. XD
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Sheol777 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 10:39 am

Grave of the Fireflies II: Revenge of the Fireflies
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby Sapphire225 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 1:25 pm

I would like to one for The Cat Returns, given he only appeared once in the first place!

At least Porco Rosso is getting a sequel. I can't wait.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:15 pm

Since I've never been a fan of open endings, I still say that I'm down with a sequel to Porco Rosso
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:16 pm

Sheol777 (post: 1490192) wrote:Grave of the Fireflies II: Revenge of the Fireflies

Best. Movie. Ever.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Mon Jul 11, 2011 11:44 pm

I'm really a big fan of all the movies. Yes, even Ponyo which most people claimed to dislike. Personally, I thought it was enjoyable and sweet, not as good as Miyazaki's other work, but still I loved it. I'd like to see a sequel to Howl's Moving Castle, since there's still more to the series. Personally, I don't mind the changes they did in the movie. It's a whole new interpretation to the story, and I personally think it was done well. Even though it was a bit rushed at the very end, I still loved it. I agree about Spirited Away having a sequel though. It was nice the way it ended and was almost perfectly done in every way....a sequel to it would be nice though. Just for funsies. :3 IDK why but, I'd like to see a sequel to Castle in the Sky, and maybe Nausicaa. I loved those movies very much....it just makes me so curious about what could happen next sometimes...and Pazu and Sheeta are like the cutest couple EVAR!!!!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby mechana2015 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:13 am

Kiki's Delivery Service. It has the possibility for more happening more than any other movie really.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Tue Jul 12, 2011 8:40 am

mech you are my new favorite person.

Seriously, I have no idea why Kiki's is my favorite Miyazaki film but I love that movie to pieces.

Edit:I just found this and it is relevant.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:10 am

I also agree that it'd be cool if Spirited Away had a sequel. Darn it, now I almopst feel like creating a fanfiction XD!!
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Atria35 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:15 am

The problem with a Spirited Away sequel is that I read a fanfiction that was so amazing that nothing Ghibli put out could top it. I wish I weren't serious, but I am. That fanfiction is a work of art.
Atria35

Postby AnimeGirl » Tue Jul 12, 2011 10:34 am

Atria35 (post: 1490385) wrote:The problem with a Spirited Away sequel is that I read a fanfiction that was so amazing that nothing Ghibli put out could top it. I wish I weren't serious, but I am. That fanfiction is a work of art.

Link o kudasai? (via PM)
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Juliannesan » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:30 am

I would love to see a Howl's Moving Castle sequel and Spirited Away sequel, and a Ponyo sequel. Oh yes, and Castle in the Sky!
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:05 am

I would like to see a Howl's Moving Castle redo. Unfortunately I doubt there's an animation studio out there that could make it work. Pixar maybe, but they don't really do adaptations.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Nami » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:31 am

Atria35 (post: 1490385) wrote:The problem with a Spirited Away sequel is that I read a fanfiction that was so amazing that nothing Ghibli put out could top it. I wish I weren't serious, but I am. That fanfiction is a work of art.

Hmm, Hmm? :D Linkage pwease?

There are quite a few that would do well with sequels. XD
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 10:40 am

The rest of the Nausicaa manga is ripe for animating. What I've read is pretty great. We need a 6-7 episode OAV of the rest of that.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby hey » Mon Aug 01, 2011 4:24 pm

Rri X (post: 1490064) wrote:They all seem finished to me, but I'd love to see another featuring the Totoro. :)

At the Ghibli museum I watched a quick animated short, and before the short started they had a mini clip show of all of the Ghibli films. One of them featured catbus, kittenbus*, and mei. My guess is it was also a short film, but it seemed pretty cool.

*I don't think it was called that, but that's the best name I can think for it.
hey

Postby Roxi » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:45 pm

sonicfan (post: 1489941) wrote:Studio Ghibli announced that Porco Rosso is going to have a sequel. Which other movies that Ghibli has produced do you think deserves a sequel?

For me, I would say Whisper of the Heart. While the ending was alright, alittle more could have been told in the plot of the movie. (Dont say the The Cat Returns is a sequel. Although, Wikipedia labels it as a sequel, I considered it more of a spinoff.

Exactly! Whisper of the Heart's ending was SUCH a Cliff Hanger!! I wanna see them on their separate journeys and when they get married etc... :dance:
Roxi

Postby Maokun » Sat Aug 27, 2011 11:10 pm

Kiki's Delivery Service has a lot of material to build unto. It's not like other more self-contained stories which pretty much rounded up everything that made them happen in first instance. It could even be turned into a TV series. I'd watch it.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Nekomimi » Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:06 am

I'm torn about the Porco Rosso 2 (had to look it up once it got mentioned). On one hand, yeah, it was a great movie, but on the other... I guess I'm with ChristianKitsune. A backstory would be great, but who knows what Miyazaki has planned. I don't know which Ghibli movie deserves a sequel, honestly, but I do know "Tales from Earthsea" deserves a re-do!
Nekomimi

Postby Narnian » Wed Sep 07, 2011 2:56 pm

A sequel to Nausicaa could be interesting as could one for Howl's Moving Castle or Whisper of the Heart (which didn't feel complete to me. A sequel for Porco Rosso seems a bit odd. It feels like a complete story/saga and that there wouldn't be much to work from unless they did a back story or side story.

I agree The Cat Returns was more of a side story. It just didn't fit well as a straight up sequel.
[align=center]Christ follower, cosplayer, and anime fan. Jesus is the best!

2 Corinthians 2:14-15
14 Now thanks be to God who always leads us in triumph in Christ, and through us diffuses the fragrance of His knowledge in every place. 15 For we are to God the fragrance of Christ among those who are being saved and among those who are perishing.

MAL
Blog
DA
Christian cosplayers unite!
DA
Narnian

Postby A88mph » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:55 am

Nasicaa: New Vegus :sweat:

But seriously, I want Howl's moving castle, Totoro, and Ponyo to get sequals. Totoro would be prime to get one dubed in the US since we saw him again in Toy Story 3 :cool:
A88mph

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews