Growing Bored with Anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Growing Bored with Anime

Postby Xeno » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:21 am

Not sure if this is appropriate place to post then, and I hope I don't get flamed to death for saying all this, but here we go.

About 3 and a half years ago I stopped watching anime. It wasn't some knee-jerk decision I made, but something that happened over the course of time. I initially started having trouble finding anime series that interested me, and when I was able to find something I liked I would often be let down by how it ended or where the story arc went. At first I thought this was because I'd just seen so much great stuff like Cowboy Bebop and Yakitate! Japan that nothing could be as awesome or amazingly random as what I'd seen thus far. But as time went on I began to think I was simply out growing it.

My interests changed to domestic live action shows such as Chuck, Reaper, Psych, White Collar, The Good Guys, Dexter, etc. And I found anime becoming less and less appealing. The IRC channel I attend is filled mostly with anime lovers, and yet I can only talk with them about series from the late 90s and early to mid 00s. My main discussion point with them now is American science fiction such as Star Trek and Babylon 5.

I ended up swearing off of anime for good some time in 2008, with the exception of allowing myself to re-watch shows that I had really enjoyed or watching series that I had wanted to see when I was still into anime but never had the chance to. So in that time frame I've re-watched Cowboy Bebop, Gundam Wing, the re-envisioning of Evangelion into movies (I'm just mentioning it, not starting a discussion about it) and I watched Bubblegum Crisis 2040 for the first time. I attempted to watch Noir all the way through again and failed. I tried to watch X the series and didn't make it past the first episode. Same thing happened with Gundam 00, and a number of other series that I was repeatedly told that I would love.

My dislike of most anime eventually led to me disliking most of the fans of anime, namely the ones who use the term Otaku as a badge of honour*. Then I found this terrible, I guess it's a reality, show on Hulu named America's Greatest Otaku. Now despite the show making me want to eat a gun, I remembered a few other series that I had loved in the past, and I've recently began re-watching Initial D like a mad man. However, I'm not sure that I can ever really get back into anime.

Have any of you ever had this problem before? Be it with animu or something else? Is there a chance I've just been looking in all the wrong places for a decent show, or could someones tastes really change that much in 3-4 years to completely shun something that was previously a pretty big part of their lives?

*Note: I've stopped feeling that way about the mega-animu geeks, however, I do still have a problem with using the word otaku with any meaning that what it really is, a degrading term for someone who is so obsessed with a particular part of fan culture that they fall out of regular society just to appease their fandom.
Xeno

Postby Sapphire225 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:35 am

I had this way with cartoons for a short period of time. After CN went down, I tried to watch new cartoons but couldn't get interested in them. After they started showing old shows, I began to grow bored with them. But after some time, I began to get back into some shows, although not as much.

I have no problem with the word otaku mainly parce que it is something like a nerd. I refer to myself as a nerd (and geek) although they are usually used in a degrading sense because of my interests. Although that is just me.

Also, Dexter rocks.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Atria35 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:56 am

I know that I go through fits and starts with anime. I've actually had instances where an anime series is so bad that it's put me off anime... for a few months.

During those times, I will get back into live-actions, but I've found most of my favorite shows end up getting cancelled... or they start getting bad. And then I have to wait in between seasons.

So I try to find anime that are along the lines of shows that I watch- since I'm into dark stuff, I will watch horror and mysteries, etc.
Atria35

Postby TWWK » Thu Mar 31, 2011 12:26 pm

Well, there's definitely been a shift in what anime shows are all about these days and how they're animated, and that might have to do with your movement away from it. The shows you mentioned liking were from a different age (<--- too strong of a word?) of anime, with most shows these days not resembling them. Maybe someone more educated in this area can give more details.

But perhaps you just haven't found a good series to watch. Noir is, well, really boring. I quit 13 episodes in - I mean, by that point, you'd think I'd be so involved that I'd finish, right? But I just couldn't take it anymore - despite beautiful animation and a nice soundtrack, the show was too slow, particularly for a thriller. Perhaps you should head over the anime recommendations thread, where you can find something more to your taste.

Then again, you might just be moving on. I watched almost no anime between about 2006 and 2009, until the Anime Network, and particularly Key productions, got me back into it.
Beneath the Tangles: Where Manga Meets the Maker

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
~ "Economy of Mercy," Switchfoot
TWWK

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:06 pm

I used to have this problem, but I learned to pace myself and not try to cram down so many episodes at once, and to never judge a series by the first couple of episodes. Also, most of the newer series don't appeal to me, so I watch a lot of old stuff nowadays.

Anime pacing takes some time to get used to, especially with the longer series (38 or more episodes). Usually if you can stick it out, the ending pays off, but...not always. It depends. If you're finding yourself consistently failing to make it past the first episode of something, then maybe you just don't like anime.

By the way, I don't like the term "otaku" either. To me, it's got too many negative connotations. The word "nerd" doesn't bug me, but if you call me an "otaku" you'd better be ready to explain yourself. :p
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby MightiMidget » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:28 pm

I tend to go through phases of "I want to watch anime" or "I want to watch live-action" or "I want to watch cartoons." Etc. I recently went through a phase of just wanting to watch Danny Phantom (which is awesome).

Now I just tend to follow the stuff that's airing, because it's, well, paced for me and every now and then there's a gem in there for me. Legend of Legendary Heroes and Shiki are a couple I really enjoyed. Have you tried Trigun? :) It seems most people who like Cowboy Bebop like Trigun...(though I was not a big fan of either)

It could just be you're moving on, but even if so, you can always come back to it later if you have the urge. =)

And...Reaper is hilarious. xD
MightiMidget

Postby Mouse2010 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 1:51 pm

I'm new to anime, so I haven't had this happen with anime, but it's happened with a lot of other things in the past. (There was a time when I wolfed down fantasy novels, for instance. Now I rarely, rarely read fantasy, and when I do, it's usually urban fantasy, which is a far different genre.) I think it's normal to be really excited about something at one point in your life, and then move on and develop other tastes. I don't think that moving on to other interests is something you have to regret or be disappointed about. That's just part of life.

And yeah, Dexter rocks, although I generally feel like the live action TV I really like usually gets canceled after one season.
Mouse2010

Postby Ante Bellum » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:14 pm

I used to watch TV all the time. Now I rarely do, and it's only when somebody's already watching something (History/Discovery/Science channels, some movies, or Star Trek: TNG). You got bored with anime, I got bored with television in general! It could be a phase, or maybe you're really just bored with it. It's definitely not unusual, I'd say.
Ante Bellum

Postby Nanao » Thu Mar 31, 2011 2:26 pm

Xeno (post: 1468584) wrote:Have any of you ever had this problem before? Be it with animu or something else? Is there a chance I've just been looking in all the wrong places for a decent show, or could someones tastes really change that much in 3-4 years to completely shun something that was previously a pretty big part of their lives?

Over a 3-4 years someone's tastes can change a lot. I mean, think of all the ways that you change as a person over a 3-4 year span. That's roughly the time that it takes to complete high school or be almost through college. I know this has happened to me several times. That doesn't mean that you won't like anime anymore (but maybe it does), it just means that you're needing some new outlets. It's not a bad thing by any means. You just have to find what's going to make you happy in the long run.
[color="RoyalBlue"]My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.[/color] Psalm 121:2
[color="Pink"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color] Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
Nanao

Postby Xeno » Thu Mar 31, 2011 10:10 pm

MightiMidget (post: 1468605) wrote:Have you tried Trigun? :) It seems most people who like Cowboy Bebop like Trigun...(though I was not a big fan of either)

Indeed I have, it was one of the series I watched back when I was into anime, and I enjoyed it thoroughly.

Nanao wrote: Over a 3-4 years someone's tastes can change a lot. I mean, think of all the ways that you change as a person over a 3-4 year span. That's roughly the time that it takes to complete high school or be almost through college. I know this has happened to me several times. That doesn't mean that you won't like anime anymore (but maybe it does), it just means that you're needing some new outlets. It's not a bad thing by any means. You just have to find what's going to make you happy in the long run.

This is a good point. I've been out of high school for so long that spans of 3-4 years have just seemed to blow by. I have no real concept of time it seems anymore. Days just mesh for me.
Xeno

Postby Nami » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:57 am

I understand the meshing of time. It sucks, so I try to make everyday unique.

As for myself, I've not watched anime in a while because I can't access it easily. I would watch Durarara!! If I could, I've heard that it is really good and the manga is awesome.

Have you seen Rurouni Kenshin? I would assume so considering you like the more aged anime. Rurouni Kenshin has a good feel, the story moves pretty fast at first, then some hilarious fillers take place and of course, the major parts. I don't understand the reason they messed with the ending of the anime, but people are weird. I'd recommend the manga. Manga hasn't let me down like Anime, so I'm more of a manga person than anime. ^^; one anime I can stand to re-watch in English, is Kodocha. Kenshin is another one, but I don't watch that as much.

As for Psych and White Collar, those shows RULEZ!! :D I love them.
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Lynna » Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:14 pm

I guess this sort of Happened with Inuyasha for me. When I was 12, I loved that show to death. It was my first anime. I loved all the characters, especially Sango. But now, I don't really have the desire to watch it. Not even when the new series came out. That makes me pretty sad. I hope someday I can watch it again, and watch this new series. I guess part of why I got bored with it was because I read the last chapter, and that kind of spoiled the suspense for me.
I Believe in the Sun/Even when It's not shining/I belive in Love/Even When I Don't Feel it/And I Believe in God/Even when He is silent/And I, I Believe ---BarlowGirl
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators
DeviantArttumblrBeneath The Tangles
Avatar (lovingly) taken from The Silver Eye webcomic
Lynna

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:05 pm

I wouldn't call this a "problem" so much as I would call it the reality of changing tastes. XD I'm not nearly as interested in most anime as I used to be, but I still keep some shows around, either for nostalgia or because they told legitimately good stories. I don't go looking for new anime anymore (aside from the occasional movie from a director I follow), because most anime that's being released now just isn't as interesting to me as some of the older shows were.

Basically though, for me, getting away from the "anime scene" has gotten me to a place where I would rather watch something to appreciate a well-told story than I would to watch something for a specific animated style. I appreciate wider forms of animation and art styles (an important thing for me, as an illustrator XD), and I can still have fun watching anime from time to time. So yeah, personally, I think my own disinterest in many anime shows turned into something good. That doesn't mean all anime these days aren't worth watching, it just means my tastes have changed and grown into something new. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby blkmage » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:03 pm

Peoples' tastes change over a few years. I'm a clear case of the opposite, where my tastes grew into anime and the shows I'm watching today are definitely not the same shows I was watching a four or five years ago. What I do think would be fallacious is to imply that there are no or less good shows than before. There are a number of reasons, most of them having to do with perception of what constitutes a representative snapshot of the state of the medium.
blkmage

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Apr 01, 2011 10:30 pm

I actually had a phase from last summer to this January where I really lost interest in anime, without realizing I had lost interest in it. It wasn't until I watched Birdy the Mighty:Decode and saw this OP and got all nostalgic for anime that I got back into it. It wasn't even that I was watching bad shows; Star Driver and Bakemonogatari are both fantastic shows and I need to finish the former. It's not as if you're obligated to get into anime; you'll get back into it eventually or you might not, but it doesn't really matter as long as you're happy with watching it or not watching it or whatever.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby ClosetOtaku » Sat Apr 02, 2011 8:56 am

I've found anime a real "time sink", and haven't watched it nearly as much as I used to. But I don't watch TV much either (I haven't watched network shows in years, and only went through Battlestar Galactica on DVD).

I go through intense anime watching periods, though -- I've just finished watching Gunslinger Girl, Summer Wars, and Baccano! very recently -- and these viewings usually correspond to anime conventions.

So, like others, I watch, and then go for long periods without watching. "Law of Undulation", as C.S. Lewis would call it. At least for me. I wouldn't be surprised that some folks "outgrow" anime, as it were. For me, it's just taken a smaller portion of my attention than before, but shows no sign of vanishing completely.
"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world." -- C.S. Lewis
ClosetOtaku

Postby GeneD » Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:18 am

I think I may be at the beginnings of what you are describing, as I have found it very difficult to find a series that catches my attention completely. That said, some of the most recent anime I've watched have been FMA Brotherhood and Baccano and everything seems a little dull after those. XP

But I decided to not force myself into watching anything and at the moment I am just jumping between the first few episodes of a number of series and I'll see what grabs my attention. I agree with ShiroiHikari that pacing is a good thing.

In the end, just watch what is entertaining to you, anime or not.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby DangoDaikazoku » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:53 am

This might actually be a good thing, not necessarily a bad one. I find that half the time I just want to drop anime completely. It takes too much time aways from homework, writting, and most importantly God. I love anime/manga too much right now to just drop it. So lately I force myself to take month long "breaks" and then get back into it. I also am trying to pace myself. So look at this as a way to spend more time with the things that are truely important to you. Instead of watching anime for half an hour go hang out with some friends/familly or read the Bible. If you just can't find an anime that suits you, then that's fine. Although if you are looking for a good anime Clannad and other animes made by Key (such as Air or Kannon) are great. Just follow where God leads you. ^_^
Thank You For Your Time,
DangoDaikazoku
DangoDaikazoku

Postby ABlipinTime » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:21 pm

I'm with DangoDaikaoku - it takes a lot of time, time away from other things I could be doing and sometimes would rather be doing.

It's normal to get tired of something after awhile. I used to hate cartoons... well, okay, I still don't like American cartoons (except Dexter, lol, I'm with you guys).
I can sympathize with you - it is hard to find a show you really want to watch.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby Wallachia » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:41 pm

You could always try watching the shows that don't look or sound interesting to you. If you judge a book by its cover, chances are you might miss out on something.

I've found plenty of shows that I would have missed out on if I simply went by what I read about them online, or if I had dropped them after an episode or two.

To give an example, I thought Mushishi sounded rather boring but it was something I ended up absolutely loving. I went and watched Planetes right after since it was another show I thought I'd dislike, and I ended up loving it too.

Slayers was simply old, and although I didn't want to be put off by the age of a series or its early lack of budget, I settled into it pretty quickly and it became another favorite of mine.

Clannad was something I was slightly put off by back when I had made the error of leaning onto the side of that big, moe-hate bandwagon. To my surprise, it was especially good during ~After Story~ and has made its way into my top five.

After that, I was able to settle into other shows that had a pacing slower than what I was used to, shows that looked like they were about cute characters doing cute things, and old shows with less than stellar animation.

Of course it has been a bumpy ride. There are plenty of times where I slow down and can only drudge through an Anime over the course of a couple months. Anime with lacking execution, shows with uninteresting tropes, or series that revolve entirely upon fanservice to keep your interest... However, if I stay for the ride, then I eventually find something that was tucked away in a pile of crap. When finally coming across something delicious in a sea of rotten food, the journey was all worth it.

Wallachia

Postby blkmage » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:01 pm

I'll second stretching out and watching things that you wouldn't normally watch. In fact, that's the reason I got back into anime and that's what I mainly do now, in having the bulk of my anime viewing in watching brand news shows. Of course, it helps that I have people to talk about it with, which is half the fun, especially if something is not entirely great.
blkmage

Postby TWWK » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:44 am

Though not entirely on-topic, this might be helpful to others who are growing bored with anime:

Preventing Anime Burn-Out

In the colors of Your goodness/In the scars that mark your skin/In the currency of Grace/Is where my song begins
TWWK

Postby Abi-chan » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:49 am

I have a problem similar to this, but not exactly the same.
See, I used to be obsessed with anime/manga. But it only lasted about a year.
My manga collection consists of about roughly 25 volumes, which is the result of constantly buying and buying them.
But last summer I just lost interest.. I haven't bought any manga since my birthday in July, and stopped watching anime around that same time, only making small exceptions, like watching the Shugo Chara Christmas specials on Christmas Eve.

I think I partially stopped because I ran out of anime to watch, and money to buy manga with. My mom let me watch and buy, but only certain manga and anime, since some have some really bad language or sexual content. She doesn't mind the violence.

I would love some suggestions as to some anime shows that could get me back into watching. Help me out? :]
Evil beware, we have waffles. :3
Abi-chan

Postby TWWK » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:11 am

Abi, try the Anime Recommendations Thread. It would be a good idea to list your favorite series, and maybe someone will come up with a terrific suggestion for you!

TWWK

Postby Rusty Claymore » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:17 pm

(I just had to stop in and say that everytime I read this thread's title in 'new posts' it says, "Growing beards with anime." I'm currently on my 6th doubletake. XD)
Proverbs 31:32 "...when she watches anime, she keeps the room well lit and sits at a safe distance."
Rusty Claymore

Postby TWWK » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 am

Rusty Claymore (post: 1470807) wrote:(I just had to stop in and say that everytime I read this thread's title in 'new posts' it says, "Growing beards with anime." I'm currently on my 6th doubletake. XD)

And I thought you wrote that you were on your sixth beard. I was about to congratulate you for your rugged manliness.

TWWK

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:46 am

Slightly off-topic:

I find the notion of "outgrowing" anime to be, well, for lack of a better word, inaccurate. Outgrowing something insinuates (at least to me) that it is a childish/adolescent activity and that once one reaches the requisite level of maturity, one will cease to be interested in it. As we know, anime is a medium targetting a wide range of demographics, including grown women and old dudes. There isn't really a magic age that at least some anime out there doesn't target or appeal to.

Basically, I think this kind of language is a holdover from the framework we've inherited that says animation equals for kids.

I realize that people might have meant that their other interests have crowded anime out. If so, a different way of stating the case would be more appropriate.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby ShiroiHikari » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:13 am

Doc, you bring up a very good point. Saying you're too old for anime is like saying you're too old for TV.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Scatcatpdx » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:46 pm

I would not let what others get in the way of enjoyment of Anime. I do use the word Otaku playfully. Crazed fans is no reason to drop anime.

What help me is I not a big viewer of anime in itself, it pat of a life long interest in Science Fiction.
Scatcatpdx

Postby teigeki_calesa » Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:16 am

Well, I haven't lost interest in anime per se; I just happened to well, expand my choices in entertainment, so I end up watching less anime. Not to mention that the more recent ones that gain popularity tend to be too much of gratuitously grimdark angst fests for my tastes.

I find the notion of "outgrowing" anime to be, well, for lack of a better word, inaccurate. Outgrowing something insinuates (at least to me) that it is a childish/adolescent activity and that once one reaches the requisite level of maturity, one will cease to be interested in it. As we know, anime is a medium targetting a wide range of demographics, including grown women and old dudes. There isn't really a magic age that at least some anime out there doesn't target or appeal to.

Basically, I think this kind of language is a holdover from the framework we've inherited that says animation equals for kids.

Quoted for emphasis; especially since I've been getting this reaction from a lot of people in my place, most of whom are stuck with this mindset. More ironically is that one of those people actually works in the same animation studio as I am (yes, someone who works in animation actually thinks cartoons and animation in general, not just anime, are something to be outgrown).
Excuse my blinking, just got too many shifts this week.
teigeki_calesa

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews