First anime you ever saw

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

First anime you ever saw

Postby rocklobster » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:14 pm

OK, I know this topic has been done before, but there've been so many newbies lately that I think it deserves re-visiting. What was the first anime you remember watching?
For me, that would be Voltron, known to Japanese audiences as GoLion. At the time, I had no idea what anime was, but I enjoyed it. The giant robots, the action, what's not to like? In fact, it wasn't until Sailor Moon and Dragonball were brought over here that I actually knew what anime was. By the time I saw Ronin Warriors, I was hooked. In fact, even though I know Voltron was horribly edited, I still have a soft spot in my heart for it just for the fact that it introduced me to anime.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Vega » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:34 pm

The first anime I ever saw was sailor moon.I didnt understand the story but the cool characters and their powers amused me....I was small!
The mind is so complex when your based. 32 levels. Welcome to my world. --Lil B
I'm not guna let anything take the love from my heart, the love of life and spreading peace and positive, thank you earth I'm alive. --Lil B
Swag like I'm marrow, in my bones. Swag in my bones. Bone Marrow Swag. -- Lil B
Shouts out to Lil B "The Based God".
Vega

Postby Mr. Rogers » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:35 pm

For me, it was Trigun. Still one of my favorites.
Mr. Rogers

Postby Hohenheim » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:44 pm

For me I think it was Pokemon. When I first saw it all those years ago, I thought it was the coolest thing ever. I even still remember a bit of the first season's theme song. Oh the decade that was the 90's...:grin:
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby rainbowchick_02 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:09 pm

Sailor moon :D
:3
rainbowchick_02

Postby steenajack » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 pm

For me, it was Kiki's Delivery Service. X3! I saw it when I was a young kid (I'd say about 5, 6, or 7) I didn't even know what anime was at the time, I just really loved that movie. My sister and I used to watch it a lot, and we used to play a pretend game about it. Ah, the memories. :D
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Atria35 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:56 am

Sailor Moon. I had no idea what anime was at that point, but I was too excited to care because it was more grown-up than the cartoons I had been watching. I was hooked. But the first one I knew was anime was this one called Final Approach, which is an awful example of what anime is but my friend thought was great. I'm so glad I didn't let that impression permanently turn me off....
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:57 am

Well, besides Pokemon, the first anime I intentionally watched was Naruto. The first good anime that I watched, on the other hand, was FMA.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby MightiMidget » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:41 pm

First intentional? Fruits Basket. First timeline wise? Pokemon. First middleground-knowing-what-it-was-but-not-really-acknowledging? Howl's Moving Castle.
MightiMidget

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:44 pm

I sporadically watched Voltron and Gigantor when I was super little. The first series that I made a serious effort to follow was Dragon Ball Z.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Hitomi » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:28 pm

not knowing it was a anime pokemon or sailor moon i watched sailor moon with a one of my older sister ( i was talking about it the last time i saw my sister) know it was a anime i would say avatar the last airbender even tho its not a true anime.
Hitomi

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:39 pm

I remember sometimes watching Sailor Moon at a neighbour's house. I didn't like the series much, it was very girl-orientated for one, but I thought the art style was interesting.
Speed Racer and Astro Boy were my second and third foray into anime. Speed Racer was ridiculous. Astro Boy had its moments of greatness.
Then when I was in high-school Pokemon was all the range with kids. I admit I watched it off and on but I much preferred Digimon. The art, story, creatures and characters were more complex and interesting and it wasn't just a marketing campaign (okay, maybe it was still one but it was much more subtle about it).
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Winry » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:32 pm

Dragonball Z
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby Wyntre Rose » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:45 pm

First one ever? Superbook. Had no idea it was an anime, though, until I actually lived in Japan, and watched it in Japanese. And realized that what I'd thought was gobbledygook that was supposed to be undecipherable was actually just bits that weren't dubbed. I was pretty shocked watching it again and realizing that I now understood those parts!

First one I watched intentionally? Either Princess Mononoke, or Case Closed, can't remember.
Wyntre Rose

Postby airichan623 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 11:58 pm

Unintentionally my dad introduced me to anime with Speed Racer (it was his fav as a kid) when I was around 7. (he now regrets it) :lol: jk. i liked my cousin's pokemon cards and video games, but i never saw an episode, so never got into it. when i was in middle school i started to copy the styles i saw on the covers of anime in best buy for my drawings. my first manga and true anime was tokyo mew mew- and not mew mew power either. :D i joined my local "jpop" club after that and...after that i was hooked.

the end.

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby AnimeGirl » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:00 pm

First anime I watched? Pokemon, if I remember correctly. Second one was Cardcaptors. These two animes is what had me fall in love with Japanese animation (especially Cardcaptors, my fave of the two <3).
"For what use is there in praying if you will only hear what you want to hear." - As I Lay Dying *The Sound Of Truth*

Let's make an AMV together!

Kokoro no Uta The thoughts of an aspiring mangaka (yeah...this is my blog >.>)

Ooh look! I have fanfiction! YAY!!!!!!!
http://www.fanfiction.net/~sevencandlesticks
If you like Tsubasa and Cardcaptors, then you might like what I've written (if I didn't slaughter the series... XD)

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds - Pslam 147:3
AnimeGirl

Postby Bobtheduck » Mon Mar 29, 2010 12:18 am

First intentional: Green Legend Ran, I think.
First actual: Superbook
First completed: Akira
First TV Show intentionally: Tenchi Muyo (OVAs)
First Purchased: Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals
First addiction: Sailormoon
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby Sailor Kenshin » Tue Mar 30, 2010 9:48 am

rocklobster (post: 1384021) wrote:OK, I know this topic has been done before, but there've been so many newbies lately that I think it deserves re-visiting. What was the first anime you remember watching?
For me, that would be Voltron, known to Japanese audiences as GoLion. At the time, I had no idea what anime was, but I enjoyed it. The giant robots, the action, what's not to like? In fact, it wasn't until Sailor Moon and Dragonball were brought over here that I actually knew what anime was. By the time I saw Ronin Warriors, I was hooked. In fact, even though I know Voltron was horribly edited, I still have a soft spot in my heart for it just for the fact that it introduced me to anime.

Though I didn't know they were anime at the time, Speed Racer and Gigantor.

The first anime I saw that I KNEW was anime was probably Sailor Moon, followed by Inu Yasha and Yuu Yuu Hakusho.
Fics an' pics from the Royal Otaku-ness of Squee

Heart of Sock!

"Those who never know a sleepless night cannot become strong; that is the rule."
Sailor Kenshin

Postby Falx » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:10 pm

Alps no Shoujo Heidi
and
Mitsubachi Maya no Bouken

Both of these were incredibly popular in South Africa when I was a pre-schooler. They were dubbed into more languages than I can remember, from Afrikaans to Zulu.

The first anime I watched knowing it was an anime was Tenchi Muyo... stumbled across it on the Sci-Fi channel late one night when I was a teenager. I hit a big dry spell of a few years but one night at a LAN someone gave me a show called Blood+ and it ignited a hunger in me for more. I now have more anime than all but one of my friends, and I own the most legitimate dvd's.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Lilac#18 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

[color="Plum"]The first anime I've seen before I knew it was anime and that I wasn't interested in was Speed Racer. The first anime I've seen that I really liked and still didn't know it was anime was Sailor Moon. The first anime I've seen that I knew was anime that I liked too was Tenchi Muyo. [/color]
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:14 pm

The first anime I saw (without knowing what it was) was either My Neighbor Totoro or Pokemon; I saw those around the same time.

And then the first anime I watched while knowing what it was was either Spirited Away or FMA; I saw those around the same time as well.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Makachop^^128 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:31 am

Sailor moon was mine, though when I was little I thought that was lame but I liked the drawing so I found kenshin :)
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby thejackal221 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:56 pm

While there may have been others I remember watching (around the same time) Voltron and Digimon. It was Digimon that got me interested in anime in the first place!
thejackal221

Postby KougaHane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:50 pm

The first anime I ever saw was kids shows like dragonball z, pokemon, sailor moon, and yu-gi-oh. however, I was kinda young and didn't make much of a distinction between anime and american cartoons. Later on at about age 14 I did, and because I heard that "nerds watch anime!" I dismissed it all as garbage, in a bigot prejudiced sort of way that I'm not proud of. Later on, I saw an ad on youtube for Jyu-oh-sei, and I thought: "ok, that seriously looks awesome, I'm going to forget I "hate" anime. One show led to another (literally), and now I love it.
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby Alcuinus » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:43 am

My first was .hack... why? 'cause it was first on this site's list :P :P :P

I loved it so much! It was fascinating! It was captivating! When I saw the end I... hated it. :|

I watched all the .hack series and came to the conclusion that only one (liminality) ended well, imo. :|

Best anime story-wise I've seen to date has been Ouran.

PS: lol at the image in the_wolfs_howl's sig XD
Deo Volente Deo non Fortuna
Alcuinus

Postby JerRocks2day » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:21 pm

I think mine was Superbook and Flying House, even though I didn't pay attention to Flying House until now. For some reason, Superbook kinda reminded me of the TV show, Inspector Gadget XD
JerRocks2day

Postby Wolf-man » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:37 pm

I think mine was probably Superbook as well. Though, Pokemon was my first anime that I was aware of what anime was and that it was foreign.
Wolf-man

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 11:56 pm

First intentional: Tsubasa Chronicle and D.N.Angel
First unintentional: Superbook or that Flying House one when I was three.
First that just so happened to become popular so I watched it to see what it was about when I was six: Pokemon
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby jim_wijit » Fri Apr 16, 2010 12:34 am

Oh man! Superbook! I'd totally forgotten that one. That was my first. Second and first intentional one would be Digimon. I'm sort of surprised that's not a more common answer.

... Superbook. Whoa...
jim_wijit

Postby Sammy Boy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:41 am

Golden Warrior Golden Lightan. This was back in 1983 (yes, I am old!).

For those of you who play "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom Ultimate All Stars", he is the golden robot character.

He is one of my favourite robot characters, so I decided to buy a diecast Bandai "Soul of Chogokin" version of him when I went to Hong Kong recently. It set me back a fair bit, but it was worth it. :)
Sammy Boy

Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews