Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:30 pm

Ah, my apologies. This is what I get for always answering both threads simultaneously. It should have an anime, though.
uc pseudonym

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:52 pm

Yeah, Yuyu and Bleach I've seen both of. They're fantastic shows. I guess I oughta start taking another look at Yuyu. I just ordered Ranma 1/2 at work today. It's been a long time since I watched it, but I remember liking the fight sequences.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Mononoke » Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:55 am

I need an anime...Ive liked: Ergo Proxy, Samurai Champloo, Gunslinger girl (although I haven't finished it), Zero no Tsukaima, melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I want to see an anime thats action packed, I dont like mech or w/e its called, blood and gore isn't a problem for me so if its 10/10 for violence all the better :D
Mononoke

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:16 pm

Well, if you liked Samurai Champloo the obvious recommendation would be Cowboy Bebop if you haven't already seen it. So far you've listed less-mainstream series, so I have no idea if you'd enjoy all the anime in the same vein as Naruto. They are certainly "action-packed" and there are a lot of them, but at the same time they're not really like the titles you've listed so far.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mononoke » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:17 pm

yea I like animes that are "less famous" I guess, like you said less mainstream. I was thinking about cowboy bepop, but there isn't a lot of blood in it is there?
Mononoke

Postby Fish and Chips » Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Mononoke wrote:I want to see an anime thats action packed...blood and gore isn't a problem for me so if its 10/10 for violence all the better :D

I'm tempted to recommend Basilisk or the Hellsing OVAs (both series with a healthy amount of bloodletting), but those series all have other elements that you might not be so lax on, so I'm hesitant to tell you to run out and grab a copy. If you can catch a showing on television or a friend's copy first, I'd suggest that first.

If you liked Gunslinger Girl, then definitely give Noir a chance. I understand it's by the same director or something along those lines.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mangafanatic » Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:36 pm

Noir seems to naturally lend itself to your list of requirements, as Fish and Chips mentioned. It has a very similar atmosphere to Gunslinger Girl, it's action packed, and, while there are always a gratuitious number of bullets fired in every episode, almost all of the bullet wounds are bloodless. I enjoyed the show immensely.

You can see the anime reviews portion of the site to see about any other content issues in the show. :)
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Mononoke » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:28 am

Fish and Chips wrote:I'm tempted to recommend Basilisk or the Hellsing OVAs (both series with a healthy amount of bloodletting), but those series all have other elements that you might not be so lax on, so I'm hesitant to tell you to run out and grab a copy. If you can catch a showing on television or a friend's copy first, I'd suggest that first.

If you liked Gunslinger Girl, then definitely give Noir a chance. I understand it's by the same director or something along those lines.

is Basilisk's full name "Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls"? And if so...is that the anime in the review section labled "Ninja Scrolls"

review: http://www.christiananime.com/reviews.php?display=94
Mononoke

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:35 am

No, you're thinking of a different Anime there. Basilisk hasn't been reviewed on CAA yet, which I may change given due time and finances.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mononoke » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:21 pm

hmm ok, so is Basilisk the full anime's title? cuz I google searched it and found Basilisk: The Kouga Ninja Scrolls
Mononoke

Postby Fish and Chips » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:29 pm

Yes, that's the one, but it's more commonly referred to as just Basilisk. And it serves as a worthy excuse to fulfill my primal urge to see ninjas killing other ninjas in particularly horrible ways.
Fish and Chips

Postby Mononoke » Sun Apr 01, 2007 1:50 pm

ahaha im going to give it a try :D thanks
Mononoke

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:25 pm

Given your criteria, I second the recommendation of Basilisk.

Mononoke wrote:I was thinking about cowboy bepop, but there isn't a lot of blood in it is there?

Heh. Well, if seeing several gallons of blood every episode is a prerequisite to enjoying an anime for you, then it might not be the best choice. But almost all the episodes have martial arts and/or gunfights, and when characters are cut or shot they bleed as you would expect them to do. The violence content reminded me very much of Samurai Champloo.
uc pseudonym

Postby Mononoke » Sun Apr 01, 2007 11:01 pm

yea I saw cowboy bepop the movie, I loved it :D
Mononoke

Postby Mangafanatic » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:09 am

Hey guys,

So my school's anime club (hooray!) is looking for a some good series or movies we can see in one day (and by "day," I mean 4-6 hours.) We're going to watch FLFL on the 12th, but are there any other exemplary one day anime excersions you guys suggest?
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:48 am

good movies eh? you need to try Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. it's like a must see, even if you aren't a fan of the series.

as for mononoke, you should try Bleach and Monster as well. Monster isn't an action title, but it's still an awesome anime. you might also want to THINK about trying Berserk. be aware, there's quite a bit of nudity and sexual content (not as much as the manga) and also lots of gore and blood. though the ending really kills the series, it's an excellent anime.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby AsianBlossom » Sat Apr 07, 2007 10:23 am

Hm...Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind was good, but I have a few warnings about that:

#1: the blood, but that's mentioned in the review someone posted on here (I say if it's Miyazaki, it'll have a review)

#2: I'm trying to figure out if Nausicaa is wearing riding pants or something, because the skirt for her dress is rather short and occassionally flips up in the back. Since it's undetailed, and because her legs are a slightly different color than her hands and face, she might be wearing some. But I still thought it was worth mentioning.

And now, I am going to ask for a recommendation. I have seen Nausicaa, Whisper of the Heart, the Cat Returns, Azumanga Daioh, Angelic Layer, Sonic X, most of Diamond Daydreams, and various episodes of Pokemon, Hamtaro, and Kaleido Star. With that said, I would like to know if anyone can recommend a series that has little sexual content/nudity (I'll go as far as swimsuits), very little or no magic, moderate language (like the 'd' and 'h' words; the stuff in Azumanga) and little blood. (Comedy would also be appreciated). Thank you for your help. :)
RESPECT THE UNBORN AND CHOOSE LIFE...your mother did.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Mononoke » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:17 am

jon_jinn wrote:good movies eh? you need to try Cowboy Bebop: The Movie. it's like a must see, even if you aren't a fan of the series.

as for mononoke, you should try Bleach and Monster as well. Monster isn't an action title, but it's still an awesome anime. you might also want to THINK about trying Berserk. be aware, there's quite a bit of nudity and sexual content (not as much as the manga) and also lots of gore and blood. though the ending really kills the series, it's an excellent anime.

im going to give Bleach and Monster a look at, berserk i'll probably leave alone because of what yoyu said about the ending, I hate...HATE movies/series that have a bad ending. thanks :D
Mononoke

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Apr 07, 2007 11:22 am

I'm afraid it is unlikely I will have many recommendations for you. However, I do want to ask a question of clarification: what type of magic content, precisely, bothers you? I ask primarily because Teen Titans has some fairly dark "magic" content (the Raven episodes, mostly).

AsianBlossom wrote:#2: I'm trying to figure out if Nausicaa is wearing riding pants or something, because the skirt for her dress is rather short and occassionally flips up in the back. Since it's undetailed, and because her legs are a slightly different color than her hands and face, she might be wearing some. But I still thought it was worth mentioning.

Heh. I spent a good portion of the movie wondering exactly the same thing. But she is wearing riding pants.
uc pseudonym

Postby AsianBlossom » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:05 pm

Well, I'm sort of a pick-and-choose Teen Titans fan. It is because of that that I don't plan on buying the fourth season when it comes out, and I'm still grappling with wondering whether or not I should let my brother buy the third season. But still, even with the episode "Spellbound", Raven did eventually realize that she was doing dark magic, and that she shouldn't have at all (of course, I don't even know what could've gotten into her head in the first place, what with doing magic at all...I guess when you're lonely, you'll listen to anything that sounds good, even if it comes from a book that's just talking to you. Please note that I haven't seen that episode, and I really don't plan to, but I know so much about it because of my friend and brother, who have both seen it. And on another side note, the Raven episode "Hide 'n Seek" was actually really good.)

But anyways, what bothers me is stuff like witchcraft, with (good) characters using spells (I'm guessing what Raven says is a mantra and not a spell, because to the best of my knowledge, spells are supposed to do different things, not be "multipurpose"; and she even says it when she's meditating, so...), drawing magic symbols, vampirism, and worshipping anything evil, specifically demons and stuff. I tend to get analytical, so most often I try to figure out where the source of some character's powers are, which is often a problem, but I can't exactly help it. Also, anything Harry Potterish bothers me, like putting a heavy emphasis on learning witchcraft and that magic is the only thing that matters...yeah. I hope that helps.

And thank you!! That's quite a load off my mind. My friend was actually the person who told me they might've been riding pants.

"Do not underestimate the power of the muffin! The muffin will smite all those who question it! The muffin will crush all nay-sayers! He who controls the muffin shall control the entire world!" -Taishi, Comic Party English Dub
AsianBlossom

Postby Alexander » Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:15 pm

Ah! AsianBlossem, you sound like a Shojo fan like myself. (Sensitive to blood, language, profanity, witchcraft, ect.)

So, after reading your list, here are my suggestions:

Spirited Away by Hayao Miyazaki. If you're afraid of the spirits theme that the films been described as, don't be. There are spirits who visit the bath-house, but there isn't any deep references to anything spiritual. And while one of the characters, Yubaba, is called a sorceress, she doesn't really do anything of the sort except for creating a ball of (power?) to stop something from advancing, and when she cleans up her office with what appears to be magic.

Lastly, near the middle of the film theres a scene with a Japanese dragon who is injured and bleeding. There isn't an excessive amount of blood and gore, but I thought I would note it for you.

If your interested in a film with a deep story and characters, then I would heavily suggesting anything by Makoto Shinkai. None of his films have any content in them you would find objectionable. The Place Promised in Our Early Days is the best film to start with.

That's a start, if you would like anything else, you could drop me a PM. (I'm filled with suggestions).

Both these films are relatively easy to find in a movie renting store. I hope I've been of some assistance to you.

Oh, and pseudonym, THANK YOU. I thought Nasucca wasn't, wearing, anything under her skirt. *sighs of relief* Well! I am absolutely going to see it again then.
Alexander

Postby AsianBlossom » Mon Apr 09, 2007 3:46 pm

Arigato gozaimash'ta, Alexander! I had been debating for a little while over Spirited Away, as one of my friends (the one I keep referencing on here; still don't know if she's signed up on here yet) has been begging me to watch that (or Howl's Moving Castle, but I'm firmly against watching that one).

And thanks for telling me that The Place Promised in Our Early Days is easy to find; I read the review for it and it sounds quite interesting, but I thought it was an obscure sort of movie. So again, thanks for clearing that up. :)

And yeah, I was relieved as well, lol. I mean, it's only rated PG, right?

BTW, I loooove your avie. It's so kawaii.

AsianBlossom

Postby KBMaster » Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:35 pm

I need another anime to watch. I tried to watch Rurouni Kenshin, but there was just way too many filler episodes. I've decided that buying the manga and only the manga will be a better investment. That aside, here's a list of mangas/animes I've seen(to give you a taste of what I like)
Inuyasha
Full Metal Alchemist
Haibane Renmei
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Kenshin
Azumanga Daioh
Fruits Basket
Shaman King
Witch Hunter Robin
30 CM per second
Howl's Moving Castle
Spirited Away
Millenium Actress
Yotsuba

Basically I want something with a compelling story line and nothing outrageous as far as objectionable content goes(i.e. Cowboy Bebop is too much). Thanks for the suggestions!
KBMaster

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Apr 10, 2007 10:47 pm

KBMaster wrote:I need another anime to watch. I tried to watch Rurouni Kenshin, but there was just way too many filler episodes.

KBMaster wrote:here's a list of mangas/animes I've seen(to give you a taste of what I like)
Inuyasha

...I'm not going to say one word.

You seem to have quite a few slice-of-life dramas chalked up on your list, so based on what I've seen, His and Her Circumstances should be right up your ally.
Fish and Chips

Postby Scarecrow » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:28 pm

Ooh sweet... I needed some new suggestions. Im almost at the end of my anime list.

Stuff I liked:
Ah, My Goddess
Berserk
Cowboy Bebop
Neon Genisis Evangelion (not so much the mecha aspect but the story telling and the bizarre weirdness)
Hellsing (OVA still on my to see list though)
Vampire Hunter D/VHD Bloodlust

Stuff I didn't like:
Ghost in the Shell SAC (too many fillers in between the main laughing man case. I hate that. If it just stuck to the laughing man thing without all these extra cases in between, I would have liked it MUCH better)
Pokemon and the like... Yugioh etc etc etc.
Howls Moving Castle (Im not a big Miyazaki fan at all really)
"Take me down, shake me out. Give me a brain, that I might know You better"
Scarecrow

Postby Fish and Chips » Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:40 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Cowboy Bebop

Then your next logical step would be Samurai Champloo by the same director, Shinichiro Watanabe.
Fish and Chips

Postby AsianBlossom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:49 am

KBMaster, have you tried Angelic Layer? I'd totally reccommend the anime to the manga, because the battle scenes are much better to watch choreographed. While the first episode is a little slow, the series itself has a good storyline.

AsianBlossom

Postby KBMaster » Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:39 pm

Fish and Chips wrote:...I'm not going to say one word.

You seem to have quite a few slice-of-life dramas chalked up on your list, so based on what I've seen, His and Her Circumstances should be right up your ally.

To clarify why that title is on my list, I've also decided not to buy the Inuyasha anime and just buy the manga(as I'm doing with RK), as the third season has about three episodes of original plot. And why spend a million dollars on an anime series that ends HALF WAY. I regret buying the first two season(at least I only spent 45 dollars for both :P), and I don't plan on buying anymore. I said animes AND mangas. :D

His and her Circumstances seems interesting, although I read that the anime was cut short due to a argument between the creator of the manga and the director of the anime. I'll give this one a try. Plus the boxset is pretty cheap. :P

Angelic Layer might be a BIT too cutesy, but I'll give it a try. If the characters and storyline can maintain my interest, then I'll continue it.

Keep the suggestions coming, people! :P
KBMaster

Postby AsianBlossom » Wed Apr 11, 2007 1:27 pm

Thanks...well, I hope you enjoy it.

Anyways, Nausicaa was also pretty good, but has a more serious tone to it than, say, the Cat Returns or Whisper of the Heart. It's definitely not cutesy, but I don't think that the objectionable content goes to far.

AsianBlossom

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Apr 11, 2007 5:26 pm

Scarecrow wrote:Berserk

Did you like it for the European swordplay feel or the grandiose cosmic stuff? If the former, I would recommend Claymore. Unfortunately, the anime is brand new (two episodes old as of this post) and hasn't been brought to the US yet, so I don't know how you feel about that.

I'd also second Samurai Champloo.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews