Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:08 pm

Aleolus wrote:OK, i just found a series, and I can already recommend it. Histories Greatest Disciple Kenichi.

It should be noted that this is a martial arts series (for anyone concerned about violence) and also contains fanservice (mild but women's bodies are portrayed in ways that may irritate some). I can't say too much more, having only read the manga.
uc pseudonym

Postby Aleolus » Tue Jan 08, 2008 3:21 pm

True, however most of the fanservice is in the form of people either admiring or being jealous of the main female character having a very well-developed body for her age, though there is some with the girl at the dojo who is a master of weaponry.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby ilikegir33 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:20 pm

eternalprincess (post: 1190033) wrote:I haven't watched some anime in some time and I would love to.

But the problem is that I have five younger siblings who dig through everything, so having some more mature anime would be impossible.

So I need some recommendations on some anime that would be kid safe, so I could enjoy watching some without the fear of my siblings watching it.

So basically some anime that you would not mind showing you 6 or littler christian sister or brother. It can be semi magical but not like overly magic (supernatural dolls, etc.), if you know what I mean.

(Any manga of the same sort would be nice too )
Thanks for any help! :D

Have you seen Angelic Layer yet? It's not about supernatural dolls per se, but about fighting dolls. It's actually fine for little kids. Anything by Clamp except for Chobits, Legal Drug, and xxxHoliC.
:dizzy: [color="Orange"]People are so crazy these days. If you are one of those crazy ppl, then copy this into your sig![/color]:dizzy:
MOES. "Take off every sig for great justice"
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks To All The CAA Moderators.
What I'll be reviewing in the future:
SoulTaker (soon to start)
Whoever loves discipline loves knowledge, but he who hates correction is stupid. Proverbs 12:1
ilikegir33

Postby eternalprincess » Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm

Yeah, Rozen Maiden was the one, I thought that the my siblings should not watch.

They have seen almost all of the Miyazaki films. I love studio Ghibli. lol

I rented the movies from the library, and the siblings loved them.

They saw Grave of the Fireflys and died. By the time it was over everbody was crying, and my little sister says "That is the worst, saddest, dumb movie ever!" while she was crying. I don't blame her though.

Thanks for your guys help! :D

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Gy273 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:11 pm

Well, I would have mentioned Howl's moving castle. But you said you've seen most of them so I bet that was one that you've seen. Well, there is Origin: Spirits of the past. It's not a bad movie can't think there was any foul language or scary scenes. Oh, Steamboy that's not a bad movie either. Hope that helps..:) I also enjoy Ghibli movies.
Gy273

Postby Gy273 » Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:18 pm

The girl who leapt through time does seem like an interesting movie don't know what it is about though...fine it seems like a popular movie. :) I wonder if 5 centimeters per second is any good.
Gy273

Postby Aleolus » Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:54 am

Gy273 (post: 1190947) wrote:The girl who leapt through time does seem like an interesting movie don't know what it is about though...fine it seems like a popular movie. :) I wonder if 5 centimeters per second is any good.

...Isn't the Girl who Leapt through Time a hentai series? I might be misremembering, but I seem to recall seeing an H-manga series with that title. Might have been a doujin, though.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:16 am

"The Girl who Leapt through Time" is a well-known recent movie (2006 in Japan, I think). It's a science fantasy about a girl who unexpectedly develops the ability to make short hops backward in time, and of course begins trying to change things that happen during the story. Completely non-H.

Of course, pretty much everything on the market is a target for Doujinshi. I imagine even Shin-chan has been H-ized at some point in Doujin.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby jon_jinn » Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:18 pm

Gy273 (post: 1190947) wrote:The girl who leapt through time does seem like an interesting movie don't know what it is about though...fine it seems like a popular movie. :)

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=6733
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Godly Paladin » Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:07 am

Just finished Scrapped Princess and loved it. Similar anime? Not in terms of fantasy, necessarily. What appealed to me was the rock-solid, fully closed ending, the likable characters, and the moving drama. Any ideas?
Godly Paladin

Postby Gy273 » Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:17 am

Scrapped Princess did look like a good anime(from the trailer). :)
Gy273

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jan 21, 2008 11:13 am

I've only seen three episodes of Scra-Prin, so I could be off on these. However, you may like a number of different animes, depending upon what you specifically liked about this.

The anime is a Science Fantasy, a melding of Sci-Fi and Fantasy, probably my favorite genre. I will be watching more of this one someday.

Plenty others pull sci-fi and fantasy together. However, the very specific nature of Scra-Prin, I can't really place in another science fantasy. They tend to have very different natures. Here's a few:

Zero's Familiar (Zero no Tsukaima). Some will be put off by the regular whippings the female lead gives the male lead, and by their sleeping in the same room. Despite the otherwise innocent nature of their relationship, this comes off a bit off-color.

Mai-Otome: Different type of story by far, but similar advanced-science-as-magic premise.

Fullmetal Alchemist. Lots has been said by others on this subject. You can find plenty of info on FMA here at CAA.

Busou Renkin: Lesser known, very very good series also based (very) loosely on medieval alchemy.

Ah, My Goddess (aka Oh, My Goddess): Very different than above, second series created by the Mangaka who gave us the very-long-standing You're Under Arrest series. Goddesses and Magic mixed up with Engineering students at a technical university. Sweet love story, tends to get very off-color and then pull a completely innocent switcheroo. Very funny.

It's a better manga than anime, though. The anime has been done in an OVA, a movie, and in a multiple-season TV anime. They haven't done the live-action yet (as they have with You're Under Arrest, which was silly, but not half-bad) but I'm sure they'll get there.

Now, trying to instead think about series that seem to have a similar feel to them, instead of a similar scenario, I come up with these suggestions:

I almost always suggest Orphen and Slayers to anyone who is interested in a fantasy. They are both 'a small group of people on a quest' stories. I'll include them here, but I think a Scra-Prin fan could possibly also enjoy:

Lost Universe
Samurai Champloo
Elemental Gelade

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Godly Paladin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:05 am

Thanks again!
Godly Paladin

Postby Momo-P » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:36 pm

I don't know how many recommendations I'll get from these two titles, but I gotta try. XD

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (So long, Mr. Despair) and Higurashi no Naku koro ni (When they Cry). Anything around the same content lines as these should be fine, but anything less would be most appreciated. I just happen to like these shows very much (especially Higurashi) so it's much easier to ignore the bad parts. ^^;

Basically either a good mystery or a good laugh.
Momo-P

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:43 pm

[quote="Momo-P (post: 1193939)"]I don't know how many recommendations I'll get from these two titles, but I gotta try. XD

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (So long, Mr. Despair) and Higurashi no Naku koro ni (When they Cry). Anything around the same content lines as these should be fine, but anything less would be most appreciated. I just happen to like these shows very much (especially Higurashi) so it's much easier to ignore the bad parts. ^^]

Oh, OR! (Phew!) You had my brain in a knot there for a minute, attempting to imagine the intersection between these two titles.

Mystery: "Ghost Hunt" is pretty good stuff, as is "Dennou Coil".

Comedy: Seen "Seto no Hanayome" yet? It's spectacularly funny. Another recent comedy, (except with a little more story and a little less bizarre in it) is "Oh! Edo Rocket." I highly recommend both.

EricTheFred

Postby Godly Paladin » Wed Jan 23, 2008 6:03 am

Thanks for the heads-up, Eric. I rented the first disc of Ah! My Goddess and it's great!
Godly Paladin

Postby Momo-P » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:38 am

Thanks for the recommendations Fred, I'll have to check them out! ^^
Momo-P

Postby jon_jinn » Thu Jan 24, 2008 2:24 pm

[quote="Momo-P (post: 1193939)"]I don't know how many recommendations I'll get from these two titles, but I gotta try. XD

Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei (So long, Mr. Despair) and Higurashi no Naku koro ni (When they Cry). Anything around the same content lines as these should be fine, but anything less would be most appreciated. I just happen to like these shows very much (especially Higurashi) so it's much easier to ignore the bad parts. ^^]

try these series:

Monster
Paranoia Agent
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Momo-P » Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:31 pm

Ok, I got a really strange request here...

When I first got into anime, it was around the time where stuff like Ranma and Magic Knight Rayearth were big. Where sub only tapes were common and most of the shows actually had a fun plot with loads of action and comedy...not like today where it every other show is some annoying drama with super pretty animation and girls hanging around a guy.

In short? I want some shows like the ones -I- consider to be the best. Sure story and animation wise they don't beat some of the stuff today, but that's the style I like. It's like how my dad likes Loony Tunes type material since that's what he grew up with. So anybody got some titles? And just to make it clear, it obviously can come from someplace besides the 90's...it's just most shows that style will be from that era. ^^;
Momo-P

Postby EricTheFred » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:21 pm

Two mechas come immediately to mind, "Dai-guard" and "Patlabor".

Slayers was great stuff. Also, the Hikaru no Go anime was good, but of course it was not action.

For older stuff, you might check out Urusei Yatsura (short on story, long on humor.) Also, the older Lupin III and the 'Cat's Eye' series.

Newer stuff, I think there might be a few, but it is likely you've seen the titles anyway. Maybe you can give us a hint where you think the boundary between 'fun plot' and 'drama' lies? Some titles you felt fit the bill and some you didn't?

EricTheFred

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:32 pm

you want the best, my friend? Cowboy Bebop is the way to go.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby animewarrior » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Hey guys. My anime interests are VERY unique (as one day its action, then romance comedy, then mecha.. lol) But I'm running out of good series right now so I was wondering if you guys could recommend (preferably english dub but if the dub is badly done then sub is fine)..And here's what series I've finished or working on..

-Naruto
-D.N. Angel ^.^
-Gundam SEED
-Gundam SEED Destiny
-Pretear
-Black Cat

*My parents are kind of edgy with the spiritual kind of stuff so make sure that is clean please so FullMetal and Death Note are already off my list of OKs maybe I'll watch them when I'm older...*

Anywayz onto the recommending.... ^.^
~ The fainter the heartbeat the stronger the soul~

*They're just an incomplete group of people wishing to be whole; and to that end, they're desperately searching for something.* - Namine (Kingdom Hearts 2)
animewarrior

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:20 pm

animewarrior (post: 1196962) wrote:Hey guys. My anime interests are VERY unique (as one day its action, then romance comedy, then mecha.. lol) But I'm running out of good series right now so I was wondering if you guys could recommend (preferably english dub but if the dub is badly done then sub is fine)..And here's what series I've finished or working on..

-Naruto
-D.N. Angel ^.^
-Gundam SEED
-Gundam SEED Destiny
-Pretear
-Black Cat

*My parents are kind of edgy with the spiritual kind of stuff so make sure that is clean please so FullMetal and Death Note are already off my list of OKs maybe I'll watch them when I'm older...*

Anywayz onto the recommending.... ^.^

I'd suggest the Rurouni Kenshin anime to you. It's fairly clean, with only a small spattering language about the same amount of violence that I'd assume Naruto has. It's a good series that I'd recommend to someone with your tastes.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:33 pm

How are your parents with respect to language? I can think of a few that might fit the bill, with the possible exception of occasional swear words flying around.

EricTheFred

Postby minakichan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:43 pm

...Looking at your choice series, I can't see I see anything particularly "unique," it's pretty much the popular series that everyone else is into (or was, a couple years back). Following the same vein, I guess actionwise I'd recommend the other popular Shounen Jump titles like Bleach or whatever, mechawise Gundam 00 and Code Geass are other angsty pretty boy giant robot shows, and for pretty frilly magical shoujo, maybe Tanemura Arina works like Full Moon o Sagashite or Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne.
ImageImage
minakichan

Postby Radical Dreamer » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:55 pm

minakichan (post: 1197019) wrote:...and for pretty frilly magical shoujo, maybe Tanemura Arina works like Full Moon o Sagashite or Kamikaze Kaitou Jeanne.

If her parents are iffy on the spiritual content in shows, I wouldn't be so quick to recommend those two. Full Moon, though it's one of my favorite series, has shinigami and themes of death and the afterlife that her parents may or may not be comfortable with her seeing. As for KKJ, it's got very convoluted, if unintentional, ideas of God that I don't think her parents would be comfortable with her seeing at all, if they aren't comfortable with something like FullMetal Alchemist.

As far as "unique" goes, I think she meant to say something more along the lines of enjoying a broad range of genre.

Regarding your post again, Animewarrior, I'd also suggest you check out Kaleido Star. It's a clean series, though there is a "Spirit of the Stage" that uses fortune telling, though it's not particularly often. You can check out the CAA reviews for more information, but otherwise, I think it might be something you enjoy.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:24 pm

I would like to recommend this new anime I found on a Newtype USA DVD, (This month's, in fact) called "Emma: A Victorian Romance." Granted, it's a little dated, but the story line looks pretty darn good!
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby One_piece__ » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:24 am

Tryin to look for something new to watch, my favorites are Neon Genesis Evangelion, Rahxephon, Elfen Lied, Rurouni Kenshin: Trust and Betrayal, and Last Exile.

I also just watched the NGE movies. I like really trippy/psychological stuff like NGE and Rahxephon.
One_piece__

Postby Sohma » Tue Feb 05, 2008 1:35 pm

I'm looking for a place other than Cartoon Network to watch anime. I only have regular cable (70 or so channels) so I don't have the Anime Network. I heard that Spike TV was adding some anime but I don't know what, and being Spike, I don't know how clean it would be. ;P Could someone help? Sorry if this is the wrong place to post. :/
Any reccomendations on some clean (action packed) anime movies would be great also! =)
Sohma

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:22 pm

Do you have a decent internet connection? If so, there are a variety of channels that also have episodes available for online streaming. For example, if you want the kinds of titles carried on Cartoon Network, try these links:
http://www.toonamijetstream.com/
http://www.adultswim.com/index2.html

Sohma wrote:Any reccomendations on some clean (action packed) anime movies would be great also! =)

What do you want to be "clean"? Language, violence, sex?
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews