Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:54 pm

EricTheFred wrote:Mezzo and Getbackers are both good action shows with engaging characters and plots (and no mecha). Mezzo is episodic (not much long term arc) while Getbackers is very much a single, continuing story.

yes. i forgot to mention Getbackers. it's a good action anime with lighthearted humor and fun, likable characters. the ending, however, is somewhat unsatisfying...
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby EricTheFred » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:44 am

jon_jinn wrote:yes. i forgot to mention Getbackers. it's a good action anime with lighthearted humor and fun, likable characters. the ending, however, is somewhat unsatisfying...

While I very much agree, I did think the ending was more or less appropriate to the show. I would have liked a better wrap-up too, but what they did, somehow fit.

I have similar feelings about 'Samurai Champloo', 'Noir', 'Now and Then, Here and There' and 'Black Lagoon', all shows that I consider first rate. I wanted all these interesting people to somehow find happier endings than they found, but where they ended up was consistent with the rest of the story.
May the Lord bless you and keep you.
May He cause His face to shine upon you.
May He lift up His countenance and grant you peace.

Maokun: Ninjas or Pirates? (Vikings are not a valid answer, sorry)

EricTheFred: Vikings are always a valid answer.

Feel free to visit My Writing.com Portfolio

Largo: "Well Ed, good to see ya. Guess I gotta beat the crap out of you now."

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:00 pm

EricTheFred wrote:While I very much agree, I did think the ending was more or less appropriate to the show. I would have liked a better wrap-up too, but what they did, somehow fit.

i think the series could've kept going for another dozen episodes or so. it left too many of the characters' pasts unanswered...

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Oct 21, 2007 3:11 pm

sad and depressing and capturing huh? well, if you can handle Saikano and Elfen Lied, then give Berserk a try. anyways, hello and welcome to CAA.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:24 am

I would suggest my all-time favorite serious Sci-Fi anime series, "Now and Then, Here and There" (ignore the sacharrine cheerfulness of the beginning sequence; things go downhill really fast, but there is something inspiring about the main character's inner strength, and the growth several characters go through.)

The emotional side of the action series "Noir" isn't about romance, but friendship.

For stuff that really isn't action, sci-fi, or fantasy in any way:
The classic would be a Miyazaki film, "Grave of the Fireflies". Brilliant, very moving, and agonizingly bittersweet.

I don't know if it's available in English, but another Miyazaki film, "I Can Hear The Sea", is a bittersweet romance. Sad and captivating.

"Rumbling Hearts" is supposed to be a good sad romance type, but I haven't seen it yet.

Jamie Hyneman: "It's just another lovely day at the bomb range. Birds are singing, rabbits are hopping about, and soon there's going to be a big explosion."
EricTheFred

Postby Aleolus » Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:22 am

Can anyone tell me anything about Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann? I looked it up on ANN, and it seems like it has potential.
"Please stand down, I don't want meaningless bloodshed!" chaos-Xenosaga

"Who are you?"
"If I knew that, I wouldn't be suffering." - Hakuro, Utawarerumono

"Dirty thoughts are bad!" Mahoro, Mahoromatic

Help my dragons to grow, please!
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Aleolus

Postby EricTheFred » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:19 pm

I watched about five episodes of Gurren-Lagann in Japanese, which means I was missing a fair amount of the jokes (sukoshi wakarimas, but only sukoshi I have a long way to go) yet I was still laughing enough to hurt. So, I haven't seen the rest, but I will be, eventually. Bear in mind, this means I could have been missing a fair amount of inappropriate content. I can tell you, they sure play up the phallic symbolism of a drill in the first episode.

EricTheFred

Postby Kairi » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:52 pm

Could anyone tell me if Lovely Complex is okay, content-wise? I have several friends who like it and have recommended it to me, but I just wanted to know if there's anything really inappropriate in it before I start buying the manga/watching the anime.

I've seen a little bit of it and it looks funny, but I still wanna be on the safe side. (Especially since there are like, 17 volumes of the manga and I don't want to waste my money. ToT)
Kairi

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:57 pm

Haven't read it, sorry.

Aleolus wrote:Can anyone tell me anything about Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann? I looked it up on ANN, and it seems like it has potential.

Fair amount of fanservice of the random variety, nothing overly offensive but I can't tell you too much more about content. After 6-8 episodes I developed an extremely low opinion of the series and dropped it due to lack of interest. However, I know it has rabid fans, so if they read this thread they may be able to explain what they find appealing.
uc pseudonym

Postby Aleolus » Sat Nov 17, 2007 11:12 pm

OK, I'm looking for some new animes. Problem is, I don't know how do describe the kind I like. So, I figure I'll just list my favorite animes, and if anyone can see a pattern among them, let me know, as well as your suggestions for new ones to check out.

My favorite anime are, in no particular order, InuYasha, Venus Versus Virus, Psychic Academy, Tenchi (all except GXP), Angelic Layer, Utawarerumono, Fate-Stay Night, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, Ranma 1/2, Slayers, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Amaenaideyo, Zero's Familiar, DearS, Sorcerer Hunters, and I'm interested in checking out Dragonaut some more.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby Sami_jane » Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:12 am

Ok so the list below is most of what i have seen. Its kind of lengthy but I watch a little bit of everything. so if you have any suggestions thats not on the list please tell me. I also have seen parts of rumbling hearts and didnt like it so you dont need to suggest it :D Im really up for anything

The Myazaki movies
Gunslinger girl
most of chobits
tsubasa chron.
most of kenshin
blood+
inuyasha
bleach
naruto
slayers
dnangel
fruits basket
FMA
basilisk
blue gender
baki the grappler
escaflowne
kodocha
kiddy grade
last exile
noein
virus buster
Mar
GITS- all
one peic
paranoia agent
pilot candidate
saiyuki
shaman king
spiral
POT
trigun
samurai champloo
samurai X
samurai deeper kyo
cowboy beebop
tenchi muyo
trinity blood
Sami_jane

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:25 pm

Sami_jane wrote:Ok so the list below is most of what i have seen. Its kind of lengthy but I watch a little bit of everything. so if you have any suggestions thats not on the list please tell me. I also have seen parts of rumbling hearts and didnt like it so you dont need to suggest it :D Im really up for anything

Based on the things you've seen, it looks like you'd enjoy Utawarerumono. You might enjoy Air, as well. Both series are licensed and are currently being released on DVD.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Sami_jane » Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:22 pm

I will look into them. thanks :D
Sami_jane

Postby EricTheFred » Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:11 pm

Aleolus wrote:OK, I'm looking for some new animes. Problem is, I don't know how do describe the kind I like. So, I figure I'll just list my favorite animes, and if anyone can see a pattern among them, let me know, as well as your suggestions for new ones to check out.

My favorite anime are, in no particular order, InuYasha, Venus Versus Virus, Psychic Academy, Tenchi (all except GXP), Angelic Layer, Utawarerumono, Fate-Stay Night, Yami to Boushi to Hon no Tabibito, Ranma 1/2, Slayers, Love Hina, Ai Yori Aoshi, Amaenaideyo, Zero's Familiar, DearS, Sorcerer Hunters, and I'm interested in checking out Dragonaut some more.

Normally, I can detect a pattern. You are straining my abilities with this list.

Well, they are all fantasy or science fantasy, but that description covers most of the anime out there. Strong female leads or love interests in almost all cases... again an anime standard. Most of them are not in the horror/ghost genre. The supernatural is usually more human in these. Some of them get borderline 'adult', but don't push it too far. Several of these have are action oriented, and most of them are originally targeted to teen-twenty male audiences... hmm.

Okay, here goes...
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Air Gear
Bleach
Shakugan no Shana
Witch Hunter Robin
Oh, My Goddess
Magic Knight Rayearth

And a couple that occasionally get a bit iffy here and there. These are ones where a mature viewer shouldn't be too offended, but if you can deal with an occasional eyebrow raiser, you get rewarded with a good story (I would put 'DearS','Yami', and possibly 'Love Hina' into the same category.)

Chobits
Please Teacher
Please Twins
Maze
Mahoromatic

EricTheFred

Postby Gy273 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 8:38 pm

What are some good comedy/slice of life anime? or just anime that is..well..entertaining yet no plot..:). The ones that I am watching are Pani Poni Dash, Azumanga Daioh..and I'm not sure if Doki Doki school hours is slice of life/comedy but I'm watching it..:). Hope that give you a general idea of what I am talking about. :) :) (Now there is an even amount of smilies)

Edit: Please pm me or post on here if you have suggestions(if possible pm because well, personally I think it would make it much easier..for me at least..:))
Gy273

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:20 pm

Gy273 wrote:What are some good comedy/slice of life anime? or just anime that is..well..entertaining yet no plot..:). The ones that I am watching are Pani Poni Dash, Azumanga Daioh..and I'm not sure if Doki Doki school hours is slice of life/comedy but I'm watching it..:). Hope that give you a general idea of what I am talking about. :) :) (Now there is an even amount of smilies)

here are my recommendations:

Mushishi
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Great Teacher Onizuka
Cowboy Bebop

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Gy273 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:34 pm

I did forget to post Haruhi..that is a good one, just haven't finished it. Mushishi..at least from the trailers looks serious but it's one to consider..:) Thank you for the suggestions. I look forward to more..:) I like serious anime of course but not as much as comedy. Ah, GTO does seem familiar. However, if I have seen it I have only seen the first episode..maybe the other episodes will be better..it's worth a shot. As for Cowboy Bebop I am quite certain I have not seen that.
Gy273

Postby ADXC » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:51 pm

Would you perhaps be daring enough to watch Bobobo-bobo-bobo? Ive seen just about every episode of it, and I think it is hilarious. But it can get sidetracked from the actual plot sometimes, but it never fells to put a smile on my face. It can get pretty weird sometimes as well.
ADXC

Postby Gy273 » Sun Dec 30, 2007 10:54 pm

I don't mind getting sidetracked from a plot. That's actually what I was looking for, a show that doesn't have a plot but does..if you know what I mean or not..:) No matter, thank you for the suggestion though. :)
Gy273

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:39 am

Gy273 wrote:I did forget to post Haruhi..that is a good one, just haven't finished it. Mushishi..at least from the trailers looks serious but it's one to consider..:) Thank you for the suggestions. I look forward to more..:) I like serious anime of course but not as much as comedy. Ah, GTO does seem familiar. However, if I have seen it I have only seen the first episode..maybe the other episodes will be better..it's worth a shot. As for Cowboy Bebop I am quite certain I have not seen that.

Mushishi's more of a slice of life/drama series. you won't find much comedy in that one. GTO's full of comedy but it blends in drama and slice of life aspects into the series quite cleverly. Cowboy Bebop's just a fun, cool series that doesn't really have much of a plot. it's more character driven, with lots of awesome tunes and background music.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Gy273 » Sun Jan 06, 2008 11:18 pm

What are some good anime movies? I've seen Spirited Away, Howl's moving castle(great movie by the way..:)), Steamboy, Grave of the fireflies, and Origin: Spirits of the past,and Princess Mononoke. Of course, I like Miyazaki movies and Studio Ghibli movies so please don't mention them. :) (unless you feel like it) or a website would work just as well.
Gy273

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:15 pm

Gy273 (post: 1189851) wrote:What are some good anime movies? I've seen Spirited Away, Howl's moving castle(great movie by the way..:)), Steamboy, Grave of the fireflies, and Origin: Spirits of the past,and Princess Mononoke. Of course, I like Miyazaki movies and Studio Ghibli movies so please don't mention them. :) (unless you feel like it) or a website would work just as well.

Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
The Girl who Leaped Through Time

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby eternalprincess » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:20 pm

I haven't watched some anime in some time and I would love to.

But the problem is that I have five younger siblings who dig through everything, so having some more mature anime would be impossible.

So I need some recommendations on some anime that would be kid safe, so I could enjoy watching some without the fear of my siblings watching it.

So basically some anime that you would not mind showing you 6 or littler christian sister or brother. It can be semi magical but not like overly magic (supernatural dolls, etc.), if you know what I mean.

(Any manga of the same sort would be nice too )
Thanks for any help! :D

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Tyrel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:50 pm

eternalprincess (post: 1190033) wrote:I haven't watched some anime in some time and I would love to.

But the problem is that I have five younger siblings who dig through everything, so having some more mature anime would be impossible.

So I need some recommendations on some anime that would be kid safe, so I could enjoy watching some without the fear of my siblings watching it.

So basically some anime that you would not mind showing you 6 or littler christian sister or brother. It can be semi magical but not like realistic magic (Real spells, etc.), if you know what I mean.

(Any manga of the same sort would be nice too )
Thanks for any help! :D

Well, I'm not sure what you meant by "not real spells".. but in any case, here are some suggestions.

Snow Queen ----- {Highly recommended}
Fate/Stay Night ---{some "nudity" but no real nudity, fighting}
Naruto ---{fighting}
HunterXHunter ---{fighting}
Shakugan no Shana --{some "nudity" but no real nudity, fighting}
Last Exile ---{Again, Highly recommended}

Those are just some off the top of my head. How worried are you about them seeing violence? You might look into Digimon, or monster Rancher..

I can't say I understand why you can't simply hide the anime away in your own folder though. It's really not hard.. but in any case, those are my top suggestions for you to try out.
Tyrel

Postby eternalprincess » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:02 pm

Tyrel (post: 1190044) wrote:Well, I'm not sure what you meant by "not real spells".. but in any case, here are some suggestions.

Snow Queen ----- {Highly recommended}
Fate/Stay Night ---{some "nudity" but no real nudity, fighting}
Naruto ---{fighting}
HunterXHunter ---{fighting}
Shakugan no Shana --{some "nudity" but no real nudity, fighting}
Last Exile ---{Again, Highly recommended}

Those are just some off the top of my head. How worried are you about them seeing violence? You might look into Digimon, or monster Rancher..

I can't say I understand why you can't simply hide the anime away in your own folder though. It's really not hard.. but in any case, those are my top suggestions for you to try out.

I am not worried about volience (just not something you see in a horror flick).

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out. :sweat:

What I mean by magic wise, somebody had recommended to me a anime with supernatural dolls... that is some thing I do not want for the kids.

@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
eternalprincess

Location: Texas: Sitting at the computer writing, and explaining anime to someone who found out I'm into it.

Postby Tyrel » Mon Jan 07, 2008 8:10 pm

eternalprincess (post: 1190050) wrote:I am not worried about volience (just not something you see in a horror flick).

Thanks for the suggestions! I will check them out. :sweat:

What I mean by magic wise, somebody had recommended to me a anime with supernatural dolls... that is some thing I do not want for the kids.

OOOOOOOOOOh

I almost forgot.. Rozen Maiden.

That show is amazing, and really kid friendly.. I don't know how I forgot about it. It's up there with Last Exile and snow queen.. but if this is the one you had a problem with... well, I don't think it is.. but if it is.. why would you have a problem with it?
Tyrel

Postby Aleolus » Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:01 pm

I've only seen a few episodes of Rozen Maiden, it's interesting. As long as you make sure your kids understand that the stuff in it is not normal, nor something that should be taken lightly, there shouldn't be a problem.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby EricTheFred » Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:40 pm

Eh... in "Shana" the initial story arc is directly about supernatural dolls. Thought I'd mention that.

Okay, here's what I think. Many older anime are great stuff for younger kids, especially given the frequently more grown-up content of the newer stuff. The following aren't intended for kids, but they come from a more innocent era of Japanese television. Note that there are occasional (usually obscured) flashes of semi-nudity in a few of these. Generally, it is 'featureless'.

Some real golden oldies came available just this last year:
Macross
Cat's Eye (subtitled only)
Orguss (subtitled only)

Others that have been around a while, all classic magical girls:
Sailor Moon
Urusei Yatsura
Magic Knight Rayearth

One that is about dolls, but not 'supernatural dolls', is "Angelic Layer". It's a piece of fluff, kind of anime cotton candy, but very endearing. And I can't imagine it scaring anybody.

And finally, some (but not all) of the Miyazaki films will fit the bill. Some people might cross their eyes at Kiki's Delivery Service (since the heroine is a witch) but it's completely innocent as best as I could ever tell. And, the Cat Returns, Castle in the Sky, My Neighbor Totoro, Porco Rosso, Nausicaa and Princess Mononoke all fit the bill for you as well.

I've been told that Spirited Away (in my opinion his best) gives some kids problems.

One magical girl series I dearly wish you could legally buy is "Tokyo Mew Mew". The 4Kids wrecking-ball job ('Mew Mew Power') is, as best as I can tell, not available, or I would recommend buying it to be legal, leaving it unopened, then downloading the fan-subs so you can see what it was supposed to be.

EricTheFred

Postby Aleolus » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:33 am

OK, i just found a series, and I can already recommend it. Histories Greatest Disciple Kenichi.

"Who are you?"

Aleolus

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:39 am

Wedding Peach is another good Magic Girl show though lighter than some of the others.
mitsuki lover

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews