Animah Or Aimeh Or Animeee

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:55 pm

Technomancer is right and all, but I'm convinced that someone a long time ago needed to be in a straight-jacket. I can just imagine someone fiddling around with the language, saying "I wonder if people'll use this one!"

Ahem...
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:00 pm

I gotta ask myself (and everyone else here)...does it really make that much difference how it's pronounced? We'll never all agree on the same thing anyhow. And Annette...don't worry about the hick thing...people who say that are just insecure. ;) *sits back and waits to get bashed*

BOOSTER: Hey, No.1! Where's my cake?!
SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.
BOOSTER: What? THIS thing's a cake?

You have the power to say anything you want, so why not say something positive?
- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

Avatar by scarlethibiscus from LJ.
inkhana

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:04 pm

Consider yourself bashed. You can stop waiting now.
uc pseudonym

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:16 pm

Aw, heck.... :sniffle:

SNIFIT 1: Booster, Sir! There's a 70% chance the object you're standing on is a cake.

- Frank Capra

(in response to an interview question "Do you have a pet peeve having to do with this biz?")
People who write below their abilities in order to crank out tons of books and make a buck. Especially Christian authors who do that. Outsiders judge us for it, and make fun of us for it, and it makes Jesus look bad. We of all artists on earth should be the most concerned with doing our best possible work at all times. We of all people should write with all our hearts, as if writing for the Lord and not for men.
- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Postby Shinja » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:17 pm

wow, i kinda wish i had an accent, the one i had growing up i lost after we moved to the city.

but i still say aint and yall:thumb:
MATT
Matt blends in - and hates it.

Give me a bike and a road by which to travel.
Shinja

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:21 pm

Wow, rereading my own post, I guess I could be taken as quite inconsiderate. Accept my apologies, and my correction.

I wasn't actually bashing you in any way shape or form. That was pure sarcasm. In fact, I kindof agree with you. Please don't feel bad!
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:23 pm

*shrug* The pronunciation's no big deal, unless your're trying to speak authentic Japanese really. I mean the English language has a long tradition of borrowing from other languages, and changing the word to suit the local phonics.

(and it's pronounced left-tenent I say! left-tenent! :grin: )

[edit: Is that a record for simultaneous posts? Inkhana's was the last one up when I started writing!
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby inkhana » Thu Jun 19, 2003 7:23 pm

Uh oh....now you've done it...now I'm gonna unleash my secret moderator powers on you! *gets pies and hurls them at ebd!* OK, I couldn't come up with a good secret moderator power that wouldn't hurt ya. Be glad..;)

- Frank Capra

- Athol Dickson

inkhana

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews