A Christian anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1464379) wrote:
Okay yeah, so that applies to wisdom, but what about story? Thanks to a recent movie, I have one word for you: Tron. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you should probably go see it. People thought it was a great movie... Now go watch the original and compare the two.

Is this an excuse to write a copy of a work by someone else? - Well, there's a way to do something... and then there's a way to do it better. In other words, don't try to copy, but know that every component of a story is based on human experience or something derived from experience.

I think TRON:Legacy had the same writer as TRON.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby AJV » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Well I'll admit I wouldn't mind watching a blatantly Christian anime as long as is it wasn't like a preachy Sunday school cartoon or something.
Maybe a Slice-of-Life story similar to those Christian webcomics like Kingdom Come,Skipping Tomorrows, and that one were about a group making a christian video game (?).

I do think subtly is the way to go because like others have said, you can have a story with a good christian message without ever having Christ show up in the picture because His message can show up in the most unlikely places.
Like Naruto for example, now I know it's a shounen show with plenty of violence and crude language but there's one thing I couldn't help but notice: How Naruto is always trying to bring Sasuke "home" and no matter what Sasuke does he still forgives him.
He even let people who wanted to kill Sasuke beat him up in Sasuke's place.
Also no matter how many times people (even his friends) try to stop him, he still has faith that Sasuke can be saved.

There's Tohru Honda from Fruit Basket who's actions and personality are very "Christian-like" too that I've noticed in my days of watching anime.

Right now, I have a story in my head that's not necessarily a "Christian-Story" especially considering most of the characters in it aren't exactly "normal" but there's things that are kinda Christian-like for example: one of the characters does all he can to resist the temptation to suck blood, another one is one who is treated very inhumanely yet it even so he's kind hearted and forgiving, and I'm still thinking of other things I could do to possibly make the story (which looks a bit secular) have a good Christian message without being all in your face.

I am hopeful that in the future there will be more Christian and Christian-Like anime in the market.:)
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Postby ABlipinTime » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:58 pm

Atria35 (post: 1464397) wrote:BUT if a Christian anime were based on the Bible... we'd be seeing the story of Adam and Eve, Noah and the Ark, etc.- and again, those stories are not exciting... I would not watch an anime that was based off the Bible as in retelling Biblical stories.

Ok, I see what you mean.

mechana2015 (post: 1464402) wrote:I think TRON:Legacy had the same writer as TRON.

And he made money copying himself. What a genius.

AJV (post: 1464424) wrote:Well I'll admit I wouldn't mind watching a blatantly Christian anime as long as is it wasn't like a preachy Sunday school cartoon or something.
Maybe a Slice-of-Life story similar to those Christian webcomics like Kingdom Come,Skipping Tomorrows, and that one were about a group making a christian video game (?).

I do think subtly is the way to go because like others have said, you can have a story with a good christian message without ever having Christ show up in the picture because His message can show up in the most unlikely places.
Like...Naruto is always trying to bring Sasuke "home" and no matter what Sasuke does he still forgives him.
He even let people who wanted to kill Sasuke beat him up in Sasuke's place.
Also no matter how many times people (even his friends) try to stop him, he still has faith that Sasuke can be saved.

There's Tohru Honda from Fruit Basket who's actions and personality are very "Christian-like" too that I've noticed in my days of watching anime.

Hm... We may attribute those attributes to Christianity, but that's because we're Christian. Non-Christians look at those actions and go, "Oh look, aren't they self-sacrificing/kind/nice/(in some cases)stupid(for being unselfish) people." They're not necessarily going to see that the good has some meaning or purpose behind those actions other than the character's natural trait unless that audience/reader is told that such a character believes in Christianity or some religion. It's when you have a contrast of individual belief systems that the belief system is associated with the good actions.
- God is always with us, especially when we feel most alone.
http://ablipintime.deviantart.com/
Htom Sirveaux (post: 1435089) - "We should all start speaking telepathically."
Midori (post: 1457302) "Sometimes, if I try hard, I can speak in English."
(post: 1481465) "Overthinking is an art."
Goldenspines - "Fighting the bad guys and rescuing princesses from trolls and all that. "
ABlipinTime

Postby AJV » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:05 pm

ABlipinTime (post: 1464592) wrote:Hm... We may attribute those attributes to Christianity, but that's because we're Christian. Non-Christians look at those actions and go, "Oh look, aren't they self-sacrificing/kind/nice/(in some cases)stupid(for being unselfish) people." They're not necessarily going to see that the good has some meaning or purpose behind those actions other than the character's natural trait unless that audience/reader is told that such a character believes in Christianity or some religion. It's when you have a contrast of individual belief systems that the belief system is associated with the good actions.

Well, you have a point. I hadn't thought of it that way, though it does make sense.

I suppose I'll have to keep that in mind when thinking of stories.
[url=ajvsblog.blogspot.com]Image[/url]ImageImage
AJV

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews