Anime Recommendations Thread

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby Maokun » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:45 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1594923) wrote:Perhaps I will unwittingly reveal myself as a sociopath but I actually never found Baccano! or Bebop to have largely amoral casts. For instance, I to this day do not understand why people think Claire is this terrible amoral person. I wouldn't even say he's a sadist, honestly, I think his, errr, messy tendencies are more a result of him making sure the job is done, which is not necessarily a bad thing to do if you want someone dead in the Naritaverse.

I think you are thinking about /i/mmorality which is a moniker I'd also would hesitate to tag any of those characters with. But most of them are definitely amoral: there are no qualms whatsoever when a short or long term goal they are aiming for is on the stakes. No consideration for other people's feelings (or lives) if they are on the way.

I'd feel a bit more sympathy for Claire but the first scene that jumps to mind when I think of him is how he was enjoying himself a bit too much when... dealing with Czeslaw.

Anyhow, a few more suggestions after comparing our lists: Boogiepop Phantom, Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040, Escaflowne, Rebuild of Evangelion movies (even if you only gave a 7 to the series (also, apparently you haven't watched the ending movies?)), Gankutsuou, Kurau Phantom Memory (which I somehow think you'll like better than I), Paranoia Agent, Rurouni Kenshin (for historic value), s-CRY-ed (for goofy shounen goodness) and Wolf's Rain (which, like Ergo Proxy, for some reason I'm not sure you'll really like.)

Let me know if you want more info on any of those.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
-Edward Elric[/SIZE][/font]
Maokun

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Oct 28, 2012 1:05 pm

Maokun (post: 1594948) wrote:I'd feel a bit more sympathy for Claire but the first scene that jumps to mind when I think of him is how he was enjoying himself a bit too much when... dealing with Czeslaw.
To be fair, he did just see Czes trying to kill the entire population on the train and also knew he was immortal, so it's not like he was just taking it out on some random kid. Czeslaw took a shotgun blast to the face and didn't flinch so I think Claire knew exactly what he was doing.

Boogiepop Phantom
I've actually been interested in this for a while because of all the Baccano! comparisons, but thanks for reminding me.
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Interesting, you are the first person I've seen to say anything good about that show.
Escaflowne
I've been planning to show this at my club anyways but I'm super stoked about it.
Rebuild of Evangelion movies (even if you only gave a 7 to the series (also, apparently you haven't watched the ending movies?))
Ah, another good reminder. I'll probably file an ILL request for the first one soonish. As far as old Eva stuff goes, I loved the show when I saw it but like Darker than Black I'm not terribly confident in my 14-year-old tastes so I've been meaning to see it again. I never watched EoE because I read what happened and didn't like it, so by the time I've heard that I should it had been so long since I'd seen Eva that I never got around to it.
Gankutsuou
Ah yes, Gonzo's only good show right? Another one I'm surprised I haven't seen yet.
Kurau Phantom Memory (which I somehow think you'll like better than I)
What did you not like about this and why do you think I'll like it better? Original Bones shows have an excellent track record with me so it's probably a safe bet but I'm curious about your opinion on it.
Rurouni Kenshin (for historic value)
I've actually read Kenshin twice and I'm a pretty big fan of it, but I remember not liking what I saw of the anime. I do mean to see Trust and Betrayal though.
s-CRY-ed (for goofy shounen goodness)
Goofy shonen is my secret love, don't tell anyone.
Wolf's Rain (which, like Ergo Proxy, for some reason I'm not sure you'll really like.)
I've actually been pretty interested in Wolf's Rain for a while, plus, again, original Bones things tend to work really well for me (see my undying love of Xam'd) so why do you not think I'll like it or Ergo Proxy?
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Neane » Sun Oct 28, 2012 4:01 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1594923) wrote:Anyways, I appreciate whatever recommendations you guys give, and honestly, I'm not so afraid of watching a bad show that I'm worried about what recommendations I get.

I would recommend the following:

Now and Then, Here and There (Since you liked Kaiba and Madoka)
Berserk (Since you liked Game of Thrones so much)
Gyakkyou Burai Kaiji: Ultimate Survivor (Why haven't you watched this yet?)
Welcome to the NHK! (Since you liked The Tatami Galaxy)
Kara no Kyoukai (Since you liked the way Baccano! works and it has pretty good animation.)
Neane

Postby Maokun » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:31 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1595020) wrote:Interesting, you are the first person I've seen to say anything good about that show.

It is not the greatest thing ever but the plot is quite interesting, the character/machine design splendid and it has great action and a satisfying resolution.

Ah, another good reminder. I'll probably file an ILL request for the first one soonish. As far as old Eva stuff goes, I loved the show when I saw it but like Darker than Black I'm not terribly confident in my 14-year-old tastes so I've been meaning to see it again. I never watched EoE because I read what happened and didn't like it, so by the time I've heard that I should it had been so long since I'd seen Eva that I never got around to it.

Man, if you are considering to revisit Eva give it a high priority!

What did you not like about this and why do you think I'll like it better? Original Bones shows have an excellent track record with me so it's probably a safe bet but I'm curious about your opinion on it.

I think you'll like it because the whole Bones thing. I don't particularly dislike it but I found it a bit too slow at moments and dragging. The balance of slice-of-life and sci-fi thriller always felt a bit off for me.

I've actually been pretty interested in Wolf's Rain for a while, plus, again, original Bones things tend to work really well for me (see my undying love of Xam'd) so why do you not think I'll like it or Ergo Proxy?

I'm not really sure, call it a hunch, but I feel that their undeniable flaws are the kind that you get easily snagged onto and ruin the whole thing for you. Tell me how you liked Gankutsuo when you watch it and I think I'll be able to tell you how you'll like those two.

Also, no mention or comment on Paranoia Agent? It's good stuff man. I bolded it because I hadn't thought of it before but I think you'll quite like it.

[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][color="YellowGreen"]There is no point to lessons that don't bring with them pain. People cannot gain anything without sacrificing something, after all.
But once you have successfully endured that pain you will gain a heart that's stout enough not be overcome by anything. Yeah, a heart made fullmetal. [/color]
Maokun

Postby steenajack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:38 am

Hey...I'm kinda interested in a few of these titles. Can any of you guys give me a summary of the content? Sex, violence, language, other objectional themes...etc...I'd really appreciate it.

Kid's On the Slope

Guin Saga

Children Who Chase Lost Voices

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water

Hero Tales

Wolf Children

Any help on any of these would be great. :) Have a great weekend!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby Falx » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:54 am

Guin Saga is rubbish. Characters have all the personality of a lump of wood. It's moderately violent, and that's about all I can remember. It's extremely forgettable.

Children Who Chase Lost Voices was pretty good, beautiful art and a pretty good story.
Kind of violent, took me by surprise but it's not gratuitous. Theme does deal with re-incarnation and they mention and spoiler [spoiler]meet[/spoiler] "god" but it's definitely not any god you'd find the in the bible. Zero nudity/sex.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:31 pm

steenajack (post: 1595704) wrote:Hey...I'm kinda interested in a few of these titles. Can any of you guys give me a summary of the content? Sex, violence, language, other objectional themes...etc...I'd really appreciate it.

Kid's On the Slope

Nadia: Secret of Blue Water

Wolf Children

Kids on the Slope - At one point, Yurika asks Junichi why he didn’t have sex with her, and there is some child abuse talked about. During one performance a US sailor tells them to not play any (insert racial slur here) jazz – in keeping with the time it’s placed in, but could throw the unwary off. Other than that, this is a very clean series.

Nadia - From the THEM Anime Reviews review: "This series was originally commissioned to run on NHK, which is the Japanese equivalent of the American PBS. As such, it's generally suitable for all ages, although there are a few moments of relatively harmless sexual innuendo. Near the end, there are some scenes of violence that may scare younger viewers."

Wolf Children- Hasn't come out from fansubbers yet so unless any of our members in Japan have seen it, there will be no information.
Atria35

Postby steenajack » Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:43 pm

Okee Dokee! thanks guys!
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby DecooPunk » Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:03 pm

Anyone know a good mystery anime with no yaoi or yuri and a rating of tv-14 or lower?
Also im not big on romance, but kissing is fine.
And I also don't watch stuff with demons and the like.
DecooPunk

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:52 pm

DecooPunk (post: 1595848) wrote:Anyone know a good mystery anime with no yaoi or yuri and a rating of tv-14 or lower?

Detective Conan
Spiral: The Bonds of Reasoning
Gosick (some of the mysteries appear supernatural but aren't. Is partially a romance, but only some kissing at the end)
Phi Brain
Detective Academy Q
Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple
Atria35

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:34 pm

Maokun (post: 1595102) wrote:Man, if you are considering to revisit Eva give it a high priority!
Man, it's gotta wait in line like other stuff. I still haven't finished rewatching Xam'd, I've got like two episodes left so you'd think I'd just do it but nope. Admittedly that's for some personal reasons but it could be a while. Rebuild might kick off a desire to do that, though.

Also, no mention or comment on Paranoia Agent? It's good stuff man. I bolded it because I hadn't thought of it before but I think you'll quite like it.
It's something I've been planning on watching for a long time because I like Satoshi Kon and the premise is fascinating, so it'll be something I'll get to eventually.

Though I need to apologize to everyone who graciously gave me ideas because I'm marathoning Giant Killing before it expires on Crunchyroll. If it's any consolation, the show is excellent.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby goldenspines » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:01 pm

DecooPunk (post: 1595848) wrote:Anyone know a good mystery anime with no yaoi or yuri and a rating of tv-14 or lower?

Depending how you feel about anime movies and puzzles and mysteries, the anime movie Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is great.
Un-Go is also a good mystery anime. It gets pretty twisted/confusing near the end, though.
Hyouka is also excellent, but currently hard to get a hold of.

Atria35 (post: 1595877) wrote:Agatha Christie no Meitantei Poirot to Marple
Wait, this is actually a thing?

brb, going to go fulfill my life now.
goldenspines

Postby skreyola » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:14 pm

goldenspines (post: 1595892) wrote:Un-Go is also a good mystery anime. It gets pretty twisted/confusing near the end, though.

That was my first thought, but I didn't recommend it because [SPOILER]one of the main characters[/SPOILER] is a demon, and it's TV-MA.
skreyola

Postby goldenspines » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:50 pm

skreyola (post: 1595894) wrote:That was my first thought, but I didn't recommend it because [spoiler]one of the main characters[/spoiler] is a demon, and it's TV-MA.
Oh rats, that's right, I completely spaced. D: It's rated MA, though? Man, maybe I should go back and watch it again to see why, because I totally can't remember. >_>;;

Sorry about that, I retract that recommend for you, Decoo. ^_^;
goldenspines

Postby skreyola » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:59 pm

[quote="goldenspines (post: 1595904)"]Oh rats, that's right, I completely spaced. D: It's rated MA, though? Man, maybe I should go back and watch it again to see why, because I totally can't remember. >_>]
Probably for the gorn... and mature themes... and depending on whom you ask, there may be some nudity in it; I love the show, but it's not safe for work. :)
skreyola

Postby DecooPunk » Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:13 am

Wow, awesome recommendations guys ^_^
and they have a agatha christie anime? Epical!
DecooPunk

Postby Atria35 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 7:34 pm

DecooPunk (post: 1595952) wrote:and they have a agatha christie anime? Epical!

Eeeh. It's not as great as it would seem - it *was* made for kids (and not in the epic way Kemono no Souja Erin was made for kids) - but it is fairly decent.

Also, forgot to mention Sherlock Hound.
Atria35

Postby Maokun » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:08 pm

goldenspines (post: 1595892) wrote:Wait, this is actually a thing?

brb, going to go fulfill my life now.

I had this exact same reaction when I first heard of it back when it was only news of its coming. Then, as Atria said, it turned up to be a kiddy Detective Conan-like affair and I was like

oh...

uh.

eh

Maokun

Postby eightluvver888 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:23 pm

So, an anime for me to watch with my ten-year-old brother?

Violence - He's pretty okay with violence, but no gore, excessive blood, or images that will send him to his room hiding under his bed for weeks. :) Minimized deranged, serial killing psychopaths with disturbing mentalities would be optimal as well.
Language - He's pretty mature and won't repeat anything, though preferably less swearing. Ex: nothing more than Fruits Basket.
Nudity/Stuff - What I'm most picky about. If there is a comment or two thrown in that would go over his head, then it's probably tolerable. Other minor censorable things I can handle.
Religion - I'd try to veer away from any magic and stuff. No witchcraft or anything of the sorts.
He's watched and loved: Black Cat (his fave), some of Rurouni Kenshin, Humanity has Declined, Hikaru no Go, some of GetBackers, and Angelic Layer. If it's girly, it has to have elements of awesomeness so he doesn't notice too much.

Ah yes, and I would be watching it too, so no little kiddy shows that are painfully stupid.

Any suggestions?
[SIZE="3"][/SIZE][font="Garamond"]Oh no, he's already fallen off one building today!
[SIZE="1"]MAL[/SIZE][/font]
eightluvver888

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 16, 2012 3:34 pm

eightluvver888 (post: 1598167) wrote:So, an anime for me to watch with my ten-year-old brother?

Violence - He's pretty okay with violence, but no gore, excessive blood, or images that will send him to his room hiding under his bed for weeks. :) Minimized deranged, serial killing psychopaths with disturbing mentalities would be optimal as well.
Language - He's pretty mature and won't repeat anything, though preferably less swearing. Ex: nothing more than Fruits Basket.
Nudity/Stuff - What I'm most picky about. If there is a comment or two thrown in that would go over his head, then it's probably tolerable. Other minor censorable things I can handle.
Religion - I'd try to veer away from any magic and stuff. No witchcraft or anything of the sorts.
He's watched and loved: Black Cat (his fave), some of Rurouni Kenshin, Humanity has Declined, Hikaru no Go, some of GetBackers, and Angelic Layer. If it's girly, it has to have elements of awesomeness so he doesn't notice too much.

Ah yes, and I would be watching it too, so no little kiddy shows that are painfully stupid.

Any suggestions?

...... One Piece sounds like it would work. I mean, the powers the people get are from weird fruit (so it's not unlike getting hit by radiation in comic books), the girls do wear clothes that aren't the most modest but no sexual comments or anything like that, and the violence isn't anything he hasn't seen in Black Cat. The only potential problem is that one character does have a bit of a potty mouth, but for the most part it really isn't more than in Fruits Basket.

Yu Yu Hakusho is a classic shounen. It would fit everything, except the religion part where he's killed off the bat (NOT gruesomely) and has a chance to redeem his soul, because even though he'd been horrible all his life he died saving the life of a small child. Whether this might cause an issue? I can't tell.

EDIT: Also, Toriko for an awesomely hilarious show about food and cooking.
Atria35

Postby Falx » Fri Nov 16, 2012 8:24 pm

Dennou Coil

Excellent SciFi show, has elements of a children's show but the story is amazing. Clean as a whistle.

Space Brothers

Another awesome SciFi series, currently airing. About the astronaut selection process with a slightly goofy main character. Might be some mature comments here and there but thats about it.

Nichijou

Wacky off the wall comedy with each episode divided into little skits. Clean as a whistle.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

Falx

Postby DecooPunk » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:02 pm

I don't think Nichijou is very clean actually.
DecooPunk

Postby Falx » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:48 pm

You're going to have to point out what exactly you mean, because I'm not understanding where you're coming from.

Falx

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:09 pm

^I think DecooPunk may be refering to the fact that Mio is very talented at drawing bishonen artwork. XD
"Contract?"
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby Falx » Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:19 pm

Eh, it's hardly graphic enough to be even slightly offensive.

Falx

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:06 am

So, i need an animr to watch...

langauge: Doesn't matter too much...as long as it's not used to an insane extent, like half there sentences...

Violence: i have no problem with blood loss, but when it gets gory...Meh...

Sexual themes/fanservice: I'd like as little of this as possible, once in a while i can stand...but not all the time...

spirit-y relgious-y stuff: Honestly i enjoy shows with supernatural things in them, as long as they aren't like, worshipping demons or anything...is there even a show like that? O.o

Oh, and for genre's i like action,comedy,suspense, romance...only a bit...not too much.
And creepy things don't bug me, i enjoy darker themed anime :3...so...uhm, i obviously too picky about this X3
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby skreyola » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Panda: Sorry if I just haven't been paying enough attention, but what are some shows you've enjoyed in the past?
skreyola

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:58 pm

Oh gosh, sorry, should'a mentioned that >v<;

Tsubasa Chronicle
Soul Eater
XXXHolic
Ghost Hunt

Those are the only ones i can think of right now XD

Postby skreyola » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:06 pm

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sadly, I haven't seen any of those except a few episodes of Soul Eater, so these may be totally off base, but...
Have you seen KenIchi or Rideback?
skreyola

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:07 pm

Neither :< i'll look into those two...

thanks for the suggestion! :3

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews