[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5080: mysql_connect(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): Too many connections
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5106: mysql_query(): A link to the server could not be established
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 5107: mysql_fetch_assoc() expects parameter 1 to be resource, boolean given
Anime you think don't deserve the heaps of praise, and why they don't. - Page 7 - CAA: Christian Anime Alliance

Anime you think don't deserve the heaps of praise, and why they don't.

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TopazRaven » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:16 pm

You know, I actually don't get all the hype over Naruto either now that I think about it. Don't get me wrong, I really like the series. Especially the newer episodes even though I have only seen one or two around so far {I adore Sai. xD} It's just you know...there is better stuff out there. Naruto can get very reptative and boring in some episodes.

Another for me would be Hellsing. I read the first manga and saw the first 2 or 3 episodes of the original anime. It was interesting, but not enough to draw me into the series as it's been about three years since I watched/read anything about it. Not to mention the gore made me feel a bit squeemish.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby Sapphire225 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:29 am

TopazRaven (post: 1466282) wrote:You know, I actually don't get all the hype over Naruto either now that I think about it. Don't get me wrong, I really like the series. Especially the newer episodes even though I have only seen one or two around so far {I adore Sai. xD} It's just you know...there is better stuff out there. Naruto can get very reptative and boring in some episodes.

Another for me would be Hellsing. I read the first manga and saw the first 2 or 3 episodes of the original anime. It was interesting, but not enough to draw me into the series as it's been about three years since I watched/read anything about it. Not to mention the gore made me feel a bit squeemish.

Well, Naruto is overrated, a good number of anime fans will be able to agree with you there.

Hellsing I loved though, but that is because I watched Hellsing Ultimate first before the original series and I'm a huge fan of gore and real vampires *coughcoughnotedwardcullencough* like Dracula.

But was is all this hype about Lucky Star? Don't get me wrong, I love the show but it has more popularity than it deserves IMO.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:14 am

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1456993) wrote:This is the thread for you to complain about why a usually critically acclaimed anime isn't actually that good. I'm not just referring to any popular work that isn't a masterpiece, so don't come here to complain about why Naruto isn't actually the most amazing thing ever to come out of Japan.
Come on guys, I listed a specific example of what doesn't belong in this thread. At least try to read the first post.

And, to defend Haruhi, or at least the Mikuru groping thing, I found that I typically kind of separated that from the rest as kind of a stylization thing. It's the same reason I can read FMA and still be okay with it despite all the times Winry beats Ed with a wrench. That would be horrifying for her to really do, but it's stylized, she didn't really hit Ed with the wrench, it's exaggerated for comedy. I tend to put the more extreme stuff Haruhi does to Mikuru there, as well, even if it doesn't switch art styles or whatever.

And you didn't like Yuki, really? She has personality, it's just about her learning what it's like to be a person. She doesn't show it as much as anyone else, but the whole time she's learning what it's like to be a person. Remember The Day of Saggitarius, where Kyon was all surprised that she's being competitive? I mean, it's not like the emotionless girl slowly gaining emotions hasn't been done before, but I thought it was pretty well done and stuff.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Wallachia » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:19 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1466374) wrote:And you didn't like Yuki, really? She has personality, it's just about her learning what it's like to be a person. She doesn't show it as much as anyone else, but the whole time she's learning what it's like to be a person. Remember The Day of Saggitarius, where Kyon was all surprised that she's being competitive? I mean, it's not like the emotionless girl slowly gaining emotions hasn't been done before, but I thought it was pretty well done and stuff.

A better example for Yuki's character development would be [spoiler]the entire Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya arc in the novels or the movie.[/spoiler]

Wallachia

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:20 pm

I've only seen the first season of the anime, so you would know better than I.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby aliveinHim » Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:26 pm

I love Naruto. I'm not a fan just because it's popular but because I like it. I would still love it if it weren't popular. Haruhi Suzumiya is good it's just that some people can't relate to people like her. I know people like Yuki and Mikuru. I'm a bit like Haruhi myself (except I don't touch other girl's breasts nor harass them to change into skanky outfits). I'm just hyper and energetic like her.
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby blkmage » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:15 pm

I'd say that most of the characters in Haruhi become a lot more interesting in the later novels. It's probably not surprising at all that Yuki is the most interesting character and receives a ton of development, but I think that Itsuki is the one who receives a fair amount of illumination after Disappearance as well. It's a lot more subtle than Yuki's development, but you see much more of Itsuki's thought process and mindset later on. The only reason he doesn't seem so at the moment is because he hasn't let on about very much yet.

And while she's not as interesting as the others, Mikuru also gets more interesting.
[SPOILER]I think a big point of development later on that isn't as apparent in what's in the anime so far is the amount of tension and distrust between Yuki, Itsuki, and Mikuru. In the early parts of the story, they appear to be getting along well, but that's only because we see everything from Kyon's point of view.[/SPOILER]
blkmage

Postby aliveinHim » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:14 am

Is Dragon Ball Z overrated?
"And you He made alive, who were dead in trespasses and sins, in which you once walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit who now works in the sons of disobedience, among whom also we all once conducted ourselves in the lusts of our flesh, fulfilling the desires of the flesh and of the mind, and were by nature children of wrath, just as the others.
But God, who is rich in mercy, because of His great love with which He loved us, even when we were dead in trespasses, made us alive together with Christ (by grace you have been saved), and raised us up together, and made us sit together in the heavenly places in Christ Jesus, that in the ages to come He might show the exceeding riches of His grace in His kindness toward us in Christ Jesus." Ephesians 2:1-7

http://oribichan94.deviantart.com/
aliveinHim

Postby Fish and Chips » Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:10 am

Not if you're posting with a Naruto avatar.
Fish and Chips

Previous

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews