New Anime Announcements

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:49 am

blkmage (post: 1492427) wrote:This is great news for everyone who's a fan of Muv-Luv (which is basically only me)
This is an adult game, right?

Also:
ANN wrote:A promotional campaign for the Hunter X Hunter manga has confirmed that a television anime series has been green-lit to air this fall. More details will be provided in Weekly Shonen Jump magazine.
This is simultaneously good and (perhaps) bad. Good b/c we get more HxH animated (presumably all or part of the ants arc?), but potentially bad because this theoretically gives Togashi more of an excuse to not work on the manga.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 24, 2011 12:17 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1492428) wrote:This is an adult game, right?

Not that it matters because the patches aren't available anymore, but it is, unfortunately, but in the same way that Fate/stay night is: with the offending content fairly minimal in length compared to the rest of the game at large, unnecessary, and skippable and also has an alternative all-ages version anyway.

The only reason I bothered to mention it is because it is one of the best mecha stories I've read or watched and Total Eclipse should be pretty good.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:43 pm

Yeah, I sort of expected the anime adaptation to be toned down, as usually happens when H-games or visual novels are the source material. The fact that there's an all-ages version is pretty cool though. I wasn't aware of that.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:16 pm

Most of the big 18+ visual novels have all-ages versions. It's not hard when you can pretty much rip out those scenes since they're superfluous to the 30-50 hour story. Heck, some fan translators give you the option to in their installers.
blkmage

Postby Agloval » Sun Jul 24, 2011 2:42 pm

I've been sort of aware of Muv-Luv for a while -- it has traction in a couple of places I visit regularly -- but the faffing-around to acquire its various bits and make them work has always put me off actually trying it.

Will be interesting to see an anime, even if it's only a sidestory.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby MasterDias » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:16 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1492428) wrote:Also:This is simultaneously good and (perhaps) bad. Good b/c we get more HxH animated (presumably all or part of the ants arc?), but potentially bad because this theoretically gives Togashi more of an excuse to not work on the manga.

I kind of lost interest in Hunter X Hunter when I saw the nonsense Togashi was pulling. He needs to finally finish the arc he's been on for years though, or this new anime is going to have a non-ending.

The only reason I bothered to mention it is because it is one of the best mecha stories I've read or watched and Total Eclipse should be pretty good.

Well, you've piqued my interest with this statement at least. I'm a bit surprised they chose to animate a side-story first.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:00 pm

It's probably because Muv-Luv is super hard to adapt. The entire thing is longer than Clannad or Fate/stay night, so the length alone is a big issue. The other thing is the massive genre shift that it pulls. The first quarter of Muv-Luv is a completely normal school life comedy. And while it's not as huge of an issue as some other visual novels, the meta alternative universes and route shenanigans factor in a bit too.
blkmage

Postby mkalv » Mon Jul 25, 2011 8:48 am

More Hunter X Hunter? Awesome. I hope this means that Togashi will finally finish this arc in the manga, and move on to a new arc.
No pain, no gain. I would prefer no pain, but still gain.
mkalv

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:17 am

blkmage (post: 1492529) wrote:the length alone is a big issue
This seems like less of an issue than the genre shift, considering we are talking about Japanese animation studios here. They are not afraid to rip one section/route out of the context of a larger story and try to cash in with an anime. And they also often start anime projects before the source material is even finished, which is sort of related because usually they only end up adapting a part of that original material.

The genre shift seems like a bigger roadblock.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Juliannesan » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:28 am

airichan623 (post: 1483580) wrote:
I agree. I was never a Kenshin fan, but now I could speed watch it to make my friends happy without watching 200+ eps!

There wasn't even 100 eps. Just sayin'.
It's either you like it or you don't. There's not really an inbetween.

I am a devote fan of Kenshin, and I loved everything up to 75th-80th eps. I disliked the last 20 or so. Whenever the Shougo arc finished. I actually enjoyed that arc (which also didn't exist in the manga). I just wish they had waited to finish it until Watsuki finished writing the manga and end that way, instead of trying to rush the ending with especially the last 2 arcs of filler.
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:14 pm

First I find out the Berserk film will be a remake of the TV series' story, then this. The new Hunter x Hunter will also be a remake that starts from the beginning of the story. [s]The staff is the same as the 1999 TV show's[/s], but they've changed networks.

Preeeetty disappointing.

*EDIT - Oh, my fault MD. Thanks for checking that. I misread the post and didn't bother to check it myself. The post says, "The production staff and voice cast are renewed." I thought this meant "renewed" like renewing a book, rather than getting an all-new staff.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby MasterDias » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:01 pm

Huh? No, that's a completely new staff. Kazuhiro Furuhashi directed the original H x H series, not Hiroshi Koujina. Still seems rather redundant to me though. At least a hypothetical Kenshin remake would/should be a complete series.

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby blkmage » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:18 pm

I wonder if they're anticipating that the manga will be finished by the time the anime catches up.
blkmage

Postby MasterDias » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:58 am

The Code Geass Gaiden Bōkoku no Akito anime that was announced over a year ago is now set for next year. Kazuki Akane (The Vision of Escaflowne, Noein - to your other self, Birdy the Mighty Decode) is directing.

MasterDias

Postby R86 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:54 am

Hunter x Hunter was one of the first anime I ever watched, and so I feel like some of the others at the forum thread linked above: now I don't have to rewatch it. So I'm kind of excited about the remake and will definitely give it a chance. I am curious to see whether the art style changes, and what the new voice actors do with these characters. And though I'm well aware it could indeed turn out to be a disappointment, if new Gon : old Gon :: Pegasus Tenma : Pegasus Seiya, I will be geeked for sure.

As for Berserk, that too was one of the first anime I ever watched -- and I would feel the same way as for HxH, except I think the grittiness was a little too much for me to look forward to seeing it again.
R86

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:55 pm

Hoshi o Ou Kodomo (Children Who Chase Lost Voices From Deep Below) on BD November 25 and contains English subtitles (limited edition ¥8715, regular edition ¥5775).
blkmage

Postby Falx » Fri Aug 12, 2011 12:01 am

There's a new anime series called Copihan that started quietly without anyone really noticing. Nobody seems to be subbing it and I don't know anything about it other than it's a collaboration between Gonzo and KEI the illustrator for Hatsune Miku, that it's a comedy and it's set in 2034.

That's it.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby airichan623 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:09 pm

MasterDias (post: 1494739) wrote:The [url=http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-08-01/producer/next-season-of-code-geass-aimed-for-2012]Code Geass Gaiden Bō] anime that was announced over a year ago is now set for next year. Kazuki Akane (The Vision of Escaflowne, Noein - to your other self, Birdy the Mighty Decode) is directing.

OMG yaay!!!!!!! I've been anxiously waiting for this to start for FOREVER!!!!!! And I loved Birdy, so I'm it will be done well. :D

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Postby Neane » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:40 pm

Falx (post: 1496848) wrote:There's a new anime series called Copihan that started quietly without anyone really noticing. Nobody seems to be subbing it and I don't know anything about it other than it's a collaboration between Gonzo and KEI the illustrator for Hatsune Miku, that it's a comedy and it's set in 2034.

That's it.

Yes, I am currently watching the first Episode. It looks great. Too bad I don't know a cent of the Japanese Language. From what I gather, part of it has to do with Baseball. It seems to only last for 5:42 minutes.
Neane

Postby Atria35 » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:13 am

Another one that I would like to point out:

Redline

an anime movie that came out last year, really.
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:19 am

Good morning blkmage and MrHatNClogs.

Oh and some movie from 2009, Redline, is coming to BD/DVD on November 14.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:47 am

My face widens in anticipation.
blkmage

Postby Falx » Sat Aug 13, 2011 10:09 pm

Neane (post: 1497103) wrote:Yes, I am currently watching the first Episode. It looks great. Too bad I don't know a cent of the Japanese Language. From what I gather, part of it has to do with Baseball. It seems to only last for 5:42 minutes.

And dropped. It seems to only exist as a vehicle to deliver bouncing boobs and panty shots.
Blessed be the LORD my strength which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight:
My goodness, and my fortress; my high tower, and my deliverer; my shield, and he in whom I trust; who subdueth my people under me.

神はそのひとり子を賜わったほどに、この世を愛して下さった。それは御子を信じる者がひとりも滅びないで、永遠の命を得るためである.

My MAL Profile. Please check out my Dad's Christian eBook on Facebook.
Falx

Postby blkmage » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:26 am

Koji Yamamoto, the producer for noitaminA, let it slip on twitter that Black Rock Shooter is getting a TV anime which will air during noitaminA in January. Oh, looks like there's an official website too. It seems like the announcement might have come as a TV commercial too.

In related news, I think I can safely say that noitaminA as a brand has now ceased to have meaning.
blkmage

Postby Fish and Chips » Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:58 am

blkmage (post: 1498116) wrote:Black Rock Shooter is getting a TV anime
It's over. Anime is finished.
Fish and Chips

Postby blkmage » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:18 pm

[S]Zero no Tsukaima is getting a fourth and final season in fall. This brings the show count for J.C. Staff in fall up to four (Zero no Tsukaima IV, Shakugan no Shana III, Bakuman 2, Kimi to Boku.). As an exercise, figure out which shows will be getting all the budget and which shows will actually be good.[/S]

whoops, turns out it's just a recap season, which is still a portent of an upcoming final season, but still

which means the answer to the exercise above RE: budget is Shana
blkmage

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 20, 2011 10:39 am

Details for the new Rurouni Kenshin anime production: it's a 2-part OVA remake of the Kyoto arc and is getting a theatrical release in December. And even though it's Deen, they seem to have a competent director and writer on board (Furuhashi Kazuhiro who directed the original and Okada Mari who's been writing some pretty good anime in recent seasons).
blkmage

Postby Juliannesan » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:45 pm

blkmage (post: 1498575) wrote:Details for the new Rurouni Kenshin anime production: it's a 2-part OVA remake of the Kyoto arc and is getting a theatrical release in December. And even though it's Deen, they seem to have a competent director and writer on board (Furuhashi Kazuhiro who directed the original and Okada Mari who's been writing some pretty good anime in recent seasons).

:eh:

Probably means they won't show till the end of the manga. :(
Oh well, I guess we'll have to wait and see how it turns out...
ImageImage
Juliannesan

Postby blkmage » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:54 pm

This is pure unfounded speculation on my part, but it could just be a warmup for a TV anime that covers the Jinchuu arc.
blkmage

Postby ChristianKitsune » Sat Aug 20, 2011 3:53 pm

Also, if that's just the first of two OVAs maybe the second one will be what we want? Perhaps the first episode is something that "new" fans can enjoy (a newer character to latch on to perhaps?) And then the next episode will be the Jinchuu arc?

But the thing is.... She wasn't THERE during the fight? If I recall correctly...
ImageImage
Stick Monkey Chronicles
Web-Manga Hosted by: The Project
ChristianKitsune

Location: In my sketchbook of wonderment and puffy pink clouds! *\^o^/*

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews