What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby faithb4sight » Thu May 01, 2014 7:49 pm

ForeverInspired wrote:I think that some of the voice actors for the sub version were changed before ep 85 (I detected a change around ep 50). I have no idea about the dub though.

Dub actors remain the same. At least through episode 108.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby CinniScrib » Sat May 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Fairy Tail (2014) episode 5

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei episode 5

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Sun May 04, 2014 11:23 pm

Isshuukan Friends episode 5

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: The episode the air-head appears! Oh Saki... you're too pushy but well meaning! Just don't make others take care of you! Oiii

Nobunaga the Fool episode 17

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: FINALLY learning about Nobu and Himiko's past together though Da Vinci is too much, "I must ask all men to leave the room." "BUT YOU'RE A MAN." "I'm a painter." Meanwhile Caesar lays on the burns! He got Mitsuhide's one true love already and now he's just being a pill. And King Arthur's true? face!? Souless eyes man, I'm calling it. But Jean and Himiko are officially rivals even though Himiko has been all over that since the start. Nobu you have no idea what's coming. Though I'm happy Caesar finally explained his mask; I hope we see him without it at some point.

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Thu May 08, 2014 6:08 pm

Attack on Titan ep 1 (dub)

For airing time reasons they totally cut the epic opening down to like... 15 seconds. Have to wait for the next episode to hear everyone's older voices (well in a sneak peek we get to hear Eren)

Soul Eater NOT! ep 1

CinniScrib

Postby Davidizer13 » Fri May 09, 2014 12:16 am

Finished Diebuster: Aim for the Top 2!.

I love Gunbuster. Probably to an irrational degree. But really, it is the total package, an intense, sci-fi/mecha drama about two women taking the weight of humanity on their shoulders in an escalating war against an incomprehensible, endless enemy force, gloriously animated by the goons at Gainax into six episodes of anime gold.

Which is probably why Diebuster borrows so much from it. Like, straight up remakes of its best scenes, shot-for-shot. But when it's not doing that, things feel a little hollow emotionally. Gunbuster had tons of emotional gravitas, while this one cranks up the moe and gives us some pretty animation to fill in where it's skimped on that. There's a few scenes that finally do get to match its predecessor in that field, but they're towards the end, where it's become too late to make up the ground it lost by not building up to them when it could have. And then, the flavor of them is different - Gunbuster draws its most tragic pictures from relativity and its effects on time, the fact that they're working to save friends on earth who might not even be there by the time they get back. Diebuster's symbolism focuses on growing up, and how you can't go back once that's done. Two different themes, but either way, Gunbuster does it better.

So as a sequel to Gunbuster, it doesn't quite get the job done. However, it does work as a prototype to Gurren Lagann's last few episodes - the animation style is very similar, as is the way it ramps up the physical scale of the battle, a couple character designs and poses... In that aspect, it's a success.

Also: Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (2012), eps. 1-2.

DIOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
Davidizer13

Postby CinniScrib » Sat May 10, 2014 12:46 am

Fairy Tail 2014 ep 6

CinniScrib

Postby nillapoet » Sat May 10, 2014 8:22 am

FMA:Brotherhood. At least until I get my funimation account set up. Then I'm going to catch up on Fairy Tail.
nillapoet

Postby CinniScrib » Sat May 10, 2014 6:11 pm

Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei episode 6

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm waiting on the manga but I swear if this turns into a blatant sibling love story I will flip. Japan loves their sibling complex characters but these sister->brother and brother->sister borderline stalker/lover stories are creepy because the characters are unhealthy themselves in how obsessed they act. Though in this Miyuki fantasizes her brother loving her since he can't feel extreme emotions but just... so many of the shots are to show a close relationship but they're basically like romantic-lover type stuff... Mmmmm. Given she is indebted to him for saving her life but just this close to being incest stories (mainly it's one sibling's obsessive acts)

Captain Earth episode 6

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nice metaphor with "put the flower in her vase" since Hana means flower. HAH!
Poor Daichi! Such a tender happy moment ruined by bonking his head haha! Also: "mysterious as the dark side of the mooooon!"

CinniScrib

Postby Chronicler1701 » Sun May 11, 2014 10:48 pm

I just started watching the dub of Fairy Tail. Can't say I agree with everything in it, but it's funny. I currently just finished episode 48, ending season one.
And I read ahead in the wiki, so something upsetting doesn't make me so sad. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Elfman didn't kill his little sister, Lisanna. Something to do with "Edolas." That's all I'm gonna say.

I don't entirely approve of SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Taurus' dispotition toward Lucy, and SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the portrayal of Virgo is verging on slander, but on the whole it's alright.

My favorite moment so far is in the episode "Dear Kaby", the part where Lucy explains the book. You can feel an undeniable Christian influence. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: A father's final work is a letter to his beloved son that took him three long years in prison to write. He put an enchantment on it, so that the words are completely different than before.

I really like Erza Scarlet, especially in the "Tower of Heaven" Arc. Happy is hilarious in his cut downs.

I'm looking forward to watching more, just as soon as I get my next financial aid, or Netflix adds more episodes.
Thank You, Jesus, for everything You've given me.

His Love is deep, His Love is wide
And it covers us.
His Love is fierce, His Love is strong
It is furious.
His Love is sweet, His Love is wild,
And it's waking hearts to life.

Current astronomical equipment:
Telescope: Meade ETX-90(pending repair)
Eyepieces: Meade Series 4000 26mm Super Plössl

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Ed, Edd n Eddy is awesome!
Best Pokémon, ever: Deoxys
Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

Revelation 2:17
“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby Adie » Sun May 11, 2014 11:51 pm

Just started Soul Eater. I'm really enjoying the characters and visuals so far, and the storyline is pretty neat, too.
Adie

Postby GeneD » Mon May 12, 2014 12:54 pm

CinniScrib wrote:Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei episode 6

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm waiting on the manga but I swear if this turns into a blatant sibling love story I will flip. Japan loves their sibling complex characters but these sister->brother and brother->sister borderline stalker/lover stories are creepy because the characters are unhealthy themselves in how obsessed they act. Though in this Miyuki fantasizes her brother loving her since he can't feel extreme emotions but just... so many of the shots are to show a close relationship but they're basically like romantic-lover type stuff... Mmmmm. Given she is indebted to him for saving her life but just this close to being incest stories (mainly it's one sibling's obsessive acts)

Captain Earth episode 6

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Nice metaphor with "put the flower in her vase" since Hana means flower. HAH!
Poor Daichi! Such a tender happy moment ruined by bonking his head haha! Also: "mysterious as the dark side of the mooooon!"

I'm glad to see I seemed to make the right choice in dropping Mahouka. And nice catch with the flower thing, I totally missed that and didn't really get that line until now.

Tonari no Seki-kun ep 19: I haven't laughed this hard in this show for a while. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Rumi's little book-shake and scream as Seki picks the wrong glasses was the best.

Yowamushi Pedal ep 31: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: So much creepy smiler in your face. Of course since they're all tied all the "tension" is reset to zero, which is a bit of a cheap trick. I might explode before the end of this race.

Giant Robo ep 5: SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I'm glad they are introducing new characters because a bunch of the old ones just got killed off. Except for those few that seem to be able to walk away from any injury. Looking at you pink coat man and weird red mask samurai-ish guy.
GeneD

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon May 12, 2014 3:01 pm

Ouran High School Host Club episodes 1-4

Watching this at all has come as a surprise :lol: It was a sort of spur-of-the-moment choice of a friend of mine. I've always said that the only way I would watch this anime was if a friend plonked me down and made me watch it, so it looks like it's finally happening. And I do like it. It's quite funny, if often irritating and facepalm-inducing at the same time. It'll never be a favorite, but it's enjoyable enough that I think I'll finish it even if I don't get a chance to finish it with my friend. I tried reading the manga at one point, but somehow the humor just didn't connect the right way. I didn't find it funny, and I especially didn't find the twins funny. But I think animation, timing, and voice acting does wonders to get the point of this show across. It makes a lot more sense to me now, and is much more funny.
the_wolfs_howl

Postby MangaRocks! » Mon May 12, 2014 4:34 pm

Tonari no Seki-kun episodes 18-19:

Ep. 18: OH MY GOSH. QUITE POSSIBLY THE FUNNIEST EPISODE YET. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: It was so perfect that Seki would do magic tricks, and have Yokoi be his 'audience.' (And THAT FACE after he did each trick... :lol: :lol: ) And then her trying and trying and trying to ignore him as he kept on trying and trying and trying to get a reaction, until he finally surprised her so much she couldn't help herself... :lol: :lol: :lol:

And ep. 19: Ohohoho, so Yokoi SPOILER: Highlight text to read: likes glasses! :grin: (Not gonna lie, I kinda have a thing for them, too... :grin: ) Oh my gosh, though, I couldn't stop laughing during the entire section where she wordlessly SPOILER: Highlight text to read: forced him to pick the 'right' ones, bwahahaha!! :lol: :lol:
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:19 pm

I made it up to episode 4 of Fairy Tail dubbed and I love it! I'll probably wait to watch more once I have the money to either A. Buy the DVDS (yes, I enjoyed the first four eps enough to actually want to but the series now) or B. Pay for a Funimation subscription. I finally have a Funimation account so now I can watch TV-MA rated shows on there now (the violent ones not the perverted ones!). Last week I started browsing through their shows and decided to try Trigun...and I am SO glad I did. :D The story and characters and themes are great! I also like the way they handled Christianity too. I'm honestly having a hard time deciding who my favorite character is though...Vash or Wolfwood. XD The only thing I didn't like about it was that it felt a little anticlimactic at the end, so I'm probably gonna start the manga soon. I also watched the Trigun: Badlands Rumble movie (all these dubbed btw) and while it had all the elements that made the Trigun show great, I really didn't like all those awkward pauses and the way they changed Wolfwood's character so much but it was still enjoyable. ^_^ Now it's time to resume Tonari no Seki-kun!
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."
"God expects spiritual fruit not religious nuts."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Chronicler1701 » Mon May 12, 2014 6:29 pm

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:I made it up to episode 4 of Fairy Tail dubbed and I love it! I'll probably wait to watch more once I have the money to either A. Buy the DVDS (yes, I enjoyed the first four eps enough to actually want to but the series now) or B. Pay for a Funimation subscription. I finally have a Funimation account so now I can watch TV-MA rated shows on there now (the violent ones not the perverted ones!)

If you buy Fairy Tail from Funimation, you can get the first 48 episodes on Blu-ray and DVD for less than $60. That's what I'm planning on doing. The episodes and the commentary and special features, all in the best quality possible.

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Favorite Fairy Tail Guild member and supporting character: Erza Scarlet and Loke. They're both willing to sacrifice everything they've got to protect those they hold dear.

“He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give some of the hidden manna to eat. And I will give him a white stone, and on the stone a new name written which no one knows except him who receives it.” (NKJV)
Chronicler1701

Location: In the Royal City of Edolas, researching new techniques of building vehicles.

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Tue May 13, 2014 11:33 am

Chronicler1701 wrote:
PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:I made it up to episode 4 of Fairy Tail dubbed and I love it! I'll probably wait to watch more once I have the money to either A. Buy the DVDS (yes, I enjoyed the first four eps enough to actually want to but the series now) or B. Pay for a Funimation subscription. I finally have a Funimation account so now I can watch TV-MA rated shows on there now (the violent ones not the perverted ones!)

If you buy Fairy Tail from Funimation, you can get the first 48 episodes on Blu-ray and DVD for less than $60. That's what I'm planning on doing. The episodes and the commentary and special features, all in the best quality possible.

Dang. $60? Thanks for the info! I'm definitely checking into that! :D
'What one does not understand one fears. What one fears, one destroys.' -Native American Indian Proverb
"Man: What surprises you most about mankind? God: That they get bored with childhood, they rush to grow up, and then long to be children again. That they lose their health to make money and then lose their money to restore their health. That by thinking anxiously about the future, they forget the present, such that they live in neither the present nor the future. That they live as though they will never die and die as though they never lived."

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Chronicler1701 » Tue May 13, 2014 12:00 pm

Yeah. Technically, it's two different items (Collections 1&2), but together, they amount to less than US$60, and because it's more than $50, shipping is free (within the US, anyway.)

Would you like a link directly to it?

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby CinniScrib » Tue May 13, 2014 3:26 pm

Soul Eater NOT! episode 6

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Whoo! The Thompson sisters are here! The main trio mimicking of the gangster girl cop drama in the beginning was funny.

Sweating a little since they're catching up to the manga, unless of course the translations of the series is just way behind. Seems like they're going to bulk up the anime a bit in comparison to how the manga is though since we already have the completed Soul Eater series to reference from (and this takes place during the same timeline). Wonder if they're going to make it different from the manga or just follow the Soul Eater anime or manga line, but naturally focusing on the NOT students.

CinniScrib

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:02 pm

Chronicler1701 wrote:Yeah. Technically, it's two different items (Collections 1&2), but together, they amount to less than US$60, and because it's more than $50, shipping is free (within the US, anyway.)

Would you like a link directly to it?

Yes please. :)

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Chronicler1701 » Wed May 14, 2014 12:23 pm

Here you go.

http://shop.funimation.com/Shop/Shop_Fi ... ue=5&sf=sf

A word to the wise, parts 2-4 are included in collections 1&2.

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby nillapoet » Wed May 14, 2014 3:11 pm

I'm almost done with the Oracion Seis story arc on Fairy Tail. That funimation account is coming in handy. :)
nillapoet

Postby PLCDreamcatcher14 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:32 pm

Chronicler1701 wrote:Here you go.

Eep! Thank you! :D

PLCDreamcatcher14

Postby Davidizer13 » Thu May 15, 2014 2:42 pm

JJBA (Phantom Blood), up to episode 7.

Forget all this talk about Hamon and breathing and whatever, the real superpower here is the characters' ability to suspend time so they can inform the audience about the blatantly obvious.
Davidizer13

Postby Chronicler1701 » Thu May 15, 2014 3:10 pm

PLCDreamcatcher14 wrote:
Chronicler1701 wrote:Here you go.

Eep! Thank you! :D

You are more than welcome, Dreamcatcher.

Sincerely,
The Chronicler

And it covers us.
It is furious.

Elements:
Water
Electricity
Heat
Cold
Wind
Magnetism
Time

Forces:
Strength
Speed
Beasts

And, finally:
All

Chronicler1701

Postby CinniScrib » Thu May 15, 2014 11:59 pm

Blade and Soul episode 1 - 7

Based on a video game, I thought I'd check it out.

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Hints of GL/yuri between the girl villains, though it's mainly one who has her hands on the leader.

Episode 7 was interesting... like an abbey but really a cult! YEESH

CinniScrib

Postby MangaRocks! » Fri May 16, 2014 4:00 pm

Rewatched Tsuritama, because I ran across a couple of AMV's which reminded me how fantastically sweet and warm and touching and fun and awesome and just plain happiness-inducing the series is, and how much I'd been wanting to watch it again. :hug: (Seriously, if you ever need a pick-me-up, this show will definitely give it to you!) Everyone should watch this. <3
Saved by grace.

MAL (Anime) - MAL (Manga) - MAL (Profile)

(^ And if you also have a MAL account, please feel free to send me a friend request there! :) )
MangaRocks!

Postby GeneD » Sat May 17, 2014 9:49 am

Ok I'm probably not gonna be making friends this way but...

Can anyone explain to me why Giant Robo is so popular here? (At least among the older members, some of whom aren't around anymore) Because I've been watching it and I just don't get it.

Before anyone mentions it, it's not the animation style, granted it took me a bit to get used to, but it's not something that would put me off. Also granted, I just watched episode 6 (which was my favourite so far) and maybe it all comes together in ep 7 and this post is premature. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I think why I've enjoyed ep 6 much more than the rest so far is that we got to see more of the Magnificent Ten, which I find leagues more interesting than most members of the Experts of Justice. Most of the Experts of Justice's members I do like get killed off and I find the main characters driving the story, Daisaku, Ginrei and Ganya to be rather whiny and annoying. And then characters I like are killed protecting the former two and just gaaaah.

It's not a bad show per se, but, I don't know, maybe my expectations were too high and that's why I feel disappointed. Maybe I'm a terrible person and it just doesn't resonate with me. If anyone wants to shed some light or engage in a discussion I'd be very much obliged.
GeneD

Postby drill » Sat May 17, 2014 10:27 am

Just finished Cowboy Bebop. While it wasn't as good as Champloo, it was still pretty good overall. Also, I was really surprised by that ending. SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Honestly, why did they have to kill Spike off D:
drill

Postby CinniScrib » Sat May 17, 2014 4:02 pm

Fairy Tail 2014 ep 7

SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Arcadios is so hardcore! I mean it's been what, 2 years since this arc in the manga? BUT YEAAAH LOKE! I love that guy! Seriously it's a good thing he was exiled for those years so he can summon himself to the other world using his own magic so it gives Lucy a break... though oh snap Aquarius must have been in the middle of a date again (and here her boyfriend Scorpio was summoned before)

Captain Earth episode 7

Isshuukan Friends episode 7

CinniScrib

Postby CinniScrib » Tue May 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Soul Eater Not! episode 7

CinniScrib

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews