What anime are you watching?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Re: What anime are you watching?

Postby Nate » Fri Apr 11, 2014 4:26 am

ClaecElric4God wrote:Anybody want to expound on this? It's on my watch list, so I'm very interested in hearing if it's something I should drop. I wouldn't mind a PM.

I may even throw up a review after I get through it (depending on how long it takes me to get through it dependent on my friend's work schedule :V) but it's a really fanservice-heavy series is the quickest way to explain it. Clothes are always flying off (in fact Ryuko's finishing attack is to literally slash her opponent's clothing to ribbons). That said, obviously none of it is explicit and KLK takes place in a weird dimension where men have nipples but women apparently don't, and some of it is done as parody. For example, Ryuko's teacher has a habit of stripping off his clothing while he explains things to her.

I can't say for sure but some themes seem to be emerging. Satsuki (primary antagonist) for example in the most recent episode I watched talked about how people are no better than pigs and need to be controlled, and she uses the school uniforms (which give the wearer superhuman powers) as a method of control to subjugate the impure masses.

But regardless of whether the fanservice is parody or genuine the fact remains there's a lot of it and if you're not down with Ryuko's thong-clad butt being prominent during her fights, you're gonna want to skip it.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby faithb4sight » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:26 am

Just finished all of Good Luck Girl!. It was a little much at times as far as sexual content, but it was more comedic than obscene. In the end this series has some surprisingly positive marks to it. The importance and worth of friendship and selflessness, for example. I especially liked how SPOILER: Highlight text to read: the main love interest was chivalrous instead of lecherous.
Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby Jonathan » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:25 pm

I started watching Bottom Biting Bug, Dark Side Cat, and Polar Bear Cafe on Crunchyroll.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby ClaecElric4God » Fri Apr 11, 2014 3:33 pm

Ah, okay. Thanks, Nate. Yeah, I probably will drop it, then. Not my thing. I appreciate the heads up.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby Mouse2010 » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:51 pm

Panda4christ:3 wrote:So I finally finished Noragami. The only thing I really have to say is that I was completely dissatisfied with the ending and I'm now turning directly to the manga.
Really? I liked that ending a lot. I mean, yeah, it left a lot open, but I liked how it handled the relationship dynamic.

I'm with you on the wanting to read the manga thing, though.
Mouse2010

Postby Panda4christ:3 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:53 am

Mouse2010 wrote:
Panda4christ:3 wrote:So I finally finished Noragami. The only thing I really have to say is that I was completely dissatisfied with the ending and I'm now turning directly to the manga.
Really? I liked that ending a lot. I mean, yeah, it left a lot open, but I liked how it handled the relationship dynamic.

I'm with you on the wanting to read the manga thing, though.

Oh I thought the relationship was done quite well ^^ I feel like some of the characters were left dangling *cough*Nora*cough* but other than that it wasn't a bad ending at all~
"People need fear, we experience it so we can grow stronger"-Maka Albarn
Panda4christ:3

Location: There are some things you should just keep to yourself

Postby Nate » Sat Apr 12, 2014 2:02 pm

ClaecElric4God wrote:Ah, okay. Thanks, Nate. Yeah, I probably will drop it, then. Not my thing. I appreciate the heads up.

Not a problem though I'm curious why you would be interested in the first place given that Ryuko's battle outfit is pretty indicative of the series as a whole, and it's featured pretty prominently on most sites that mention the show. :B

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby ClaecElric4God » Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:10 am

Nate wrote:
ClaecElric4God wrote:Ah, okay. Thanks, Nate. Yeah, I probably will drop it, then. Not my thing. I appreciate the heads up.

Not a problem though I'm curious why you would be interested in the first place given that Ryuko's battle outfit is pretty indicative of the series as a whole, and it's featured pretty prominently on most sites that mention the show. :B

To be perfectly honest, I don't remember. Someone might have recommended it or I might have read a good review about it or something. But as far as visual, the only thing I ever saw was the Wiki page, which makes it look pretty neutral.
He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the Lord require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God? -Micah 6:8 KJV
They have shewed thee, O teen, what is good; and what doth the world require of thee, but to fit in, be wealthy, have good looks, and be rebellious? -Peer Pressure 1:1
"I hate milk; it's like drinking vomit." -Edward Elric and me. :fmed:

ClaecElric4God in regards to Wolfsong - You're the coolness scraped off the top of this morning's ice cream, after being pulled out of a beautiful summer day!
ClaecElric4God

Location: By the time you read this, I'll probably be somewhere else...

Postby nillapoet » Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:21 pm

I just got done with season one of Fairy Tail and now I'm going through Sword Art Online.
nillapoet

Postby TheAlbinoMoose » Mon Apr 14, 2014 3:48 pm

Sword Art Online!! ^_^ Hope you enjoy it! It loses its epicness after the 14th episode, sadly...

I just finished Ouran High School Host Club and am currently watching Naruto (which is basically a life-long commitment :P)
Do you see this gorgeous creature?
That graceful profile. Those striking eyes. Behold the albino moose.
A wise man once said, "you can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose. But you can't pick your friend's nose."
TheAlbinoMoose

Postby Jonathan » Tue Apr 15, 2014 5:58 pm

Now I have started to watch Chi's Sweet Home and Folktales From Japan. I like both of them so far.
"And Jesus said unto him, 'Why callest thou me good? There is none good but one, that is, God."-Mark 10:18

"But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the son, but the father."-Mark 13:32

"Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I."-John 14:28
Jonathan

Postby GoldenEagle » Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:19 pm

TheAlbinoMoose wrote:Sword Art Online!! ^_^ Hope you enjoy it! It loses its epicness after the 14th episode, sadly...

I just finished Ouran High School Host Club and am currently watching Naruto (which is basically a life-long commitment :P)

I agree with the 14th episode thing... I wonder why... lol

I guess I'm currently watching Trigun, Naruto, and gonna start watching Fate Stay Night or Fate Zero soon. Haven't watched anything for a while though.
こんにちは、皆さん! 始めまして!

The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can't always be sure of their authenticity. - Abraham Lincoln

http://myanimelist.net/animelist/FlockOfEagles
GoldenEagle

Postby faithb4sight » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:16 pm

@ TheAlbinoMoose
Naruto, huh? You've got a long trek ahead of you my friend. Better pack rations. I tried to catch up with Naruto once... Alas, I failed in that quest, and Naruto just rode off into the sunset and left me cold and alone as the massing episodes forever widened the gap between us. :sniffle: Maybe one day...

I've started Aria the Scarlet Ammo. Through episode 5. A little too much focus on the female form, but there are some surprisingly good points to the series as a whole. Enough to keep me watching, at any rate.

Image On the summit - even in the valley... God is good. I praise Him for all of everything.
"Now the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that ye may abound in hope, through the power of the Holy Ghost." Rom. 15:13
faithb4sight

Postby GeneD » Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:53 am

Since the relevant season threads are mostly dormant now:

Tonari no Seki-kun ep 15: A quintessential example of shipper goggles.

Yowamushi Pedal ep 27: As much as I like the other characters, I miss Onoda. He's had little screen time lately and it's just not the same. He really is what gives the show it's spark.

I've also been watching Giant Robo, up to ep 3 now.
GeneD

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:24 pm

So I finished Aria the Scarlet Ammo (including the OVA). It was interesting, certainly. Biggest let-down was the vast amounts of cleavage and sexual innuendo. I liked that the main character turned away from situations like these (even if he had his reasons for doing so). The plot was interesting but left holes - I believe they're about to start working on a sequel which is good.
I guess the biggest plus of the series was SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Kenji and Aria's almost-romance. I'm easy to please when there's an adorable/shy couple to root for.
faithb4sight

Postby Cat96 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 pm

I'm currently watching Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, and Inuyasha.

I find that the "demons" in Inuyasha are a lot more like monsters, so my mind thinks "monster" when they call characters like Shippo a demon or Inuyasha a half-demon. This anime is alright to me, but it is still not bad. Whenever Kagome says "sit" to Inuyasha, I keep on being reminded of the Maka-Chop and what I like to call the Winry-whack, which is when Winry throws or hits Ed with her wrench (I don't know of any official name for it, so whenever I explain things I just say Winry-whack). :lol:

Fairy Tail was an anime my friend was about to watch and I was extremely bored on a Sunday (watching Fairy Tai is a result of my boredom). I'm not a big fan of the fanservice at all, but the characters are interesting and funny. I'm so frustrated at the lack of episodes 13-48 on hulu. Fairy Tail is a nice break from darker, but still awesome, animes like Fullmetal Alchemist.

I'm slowing down with Soul Eater now that I only have a few more episodes to go before I finish the series. Black Star's fight with Mifune was so awesome! :rock:

Fullmetal Alchemist was an anime I found to be surprisingly very good. Most anime I prefer subbed, but the dub cast did a fantastic job as well. I would even go as far as saying that the Dub is very close, if not equally, as good as the Japanese. If only hulu had more than four episodes dubbed! :mutter: I didn't like it much at first, but after episode 9 when (I'm putting it in spoilers just to be safe) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: Ed totally outsmarted that Yoki guy and gave the town back to the people in exchange for a night's stay at the local inn I found that I really enjoyed this anime. I enjoyed the complexity of the plot, and I can proudly say that this became one of my favorite animes (and the fact that it is a lot cleaner than Soul Eater and Fairy Tail helps a lot). I liked that the anime still had its funny moments, despite the fact that it got very dark at times SPOILER: Highlight text to read: like in episode 4, when Clause called Ed a "whiny little pipsqueak" and Al "a talking trashcan". Poor Al. I couldn't help but laugh at how he went into depression while Ed got every mad as usual. XD . I think I have about four more episodes to go. I already bought this anime on DVD because I liked it so much and I want to watch more dubbed episodes.

And that concludes my unnecessarily long post about the animes I am currently watching. :rant:
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby Cat96 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:16 pm

I'm not sure what happened, but my post posted twice. And I need help getting rid of this post.
"While I live, I want to shine" -Grovyle (Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Sky)
Cat96

Postby faithb4sight » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:52 pm

@Cat96
Are you watching the original Fullmetal, or are you watching Brotherhood?
I know what you mean about it being cleaner than Fairy Tail/Soul Eater. If only they didn't have the fanservice.
I also tend to think of "demons" in animes as "monsters" rather than servants of satan.

Oh FYI: creating an online account on Funimation.com opens a certain number of episodes of their licensed series (Fairy Tail, FMA, Brotherhod, etc.) to watch for free (both sub and dub).
faithb4sight

Postby Cat96 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:14 am

I'm watching the original mainly because of hulu. I was hoping to try the second one, but the first is pretty good so I know I'll likely enjoy the second (even if it is darker than the first, which is what I heard about Brotherhood).
I like being able to watch anime without worrying to much about fanservice. It can get really bad at times in Soul Eater. Fairy Tail as well, and I'm only on the 12th episode (seriously, I hate getting into long, never-ending anime).

I'll try that. Thanks.
Cat96

Postby MomentOfInertia » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:53 pm

faithb4sight wrote:So I finished Aria the Scarlet Ammo (including the OVA). It was interesting, certainly. Biggest let-down was the vast amounts of cleavage and sexual innuendo. ...

If you weren't expecting that you must have seen a very different show description, the one I saw heavily implied that that was where the show was going.

Cat96 wrote:I'm currently watching Soul Eater, Fullmetal Alchemist, Fairy Tail, and Inuyasha.

I find that the "demons" in Inuyasha are a lot more like monsters, so my mind thinks "monster" when they call characters like Shippo a demon or Inuyasha a half-demon. This anime is alright to me, but it is still not bad. Whenever Kagome says "sit" to Inuyasha, I keep on being reminded of the Maka-Chop and what I like to call the Winry-whack, which is when Winry throws or hits Ed with her wrench (I don't know of any official name for it, so whenever I explain things I just say Winry-whack). :lol:

IIRC Inuyasha came from an older era of translations where a lot of words that didn't have direct translations into English were shoehorned in anyways to keep the quantity of Japanese words in the release to a minimum(may not have been the justification but it was the result). So what got translated to "demon" is not really the same thing, I think a literal translation would give you "supernatural critters" or something to do with spirits. Monsters is a bit general but I think it would cover it too. Goldy could probably tell you more (or would at least have a better idea who to ask).

---
I owe this thread a good long post about my recent fit of anime watching but, for now:

Kill La Kill (finished) I
Is crazy good & crazy but very much not for kids (fanservice, violence, fanservice, blood, and fanservice) (though it should be noted that while many people spend a lot of the time running about ...'in' severely immodest garb, the show does not dwell on this fact. much.)

Putting on the "I wish I had someone I could recommended this to" list.
--
Log Horizon (0-9) (I blame Hats)
A quality implementation of the old 'we're trapped in the game' trope. More focused on what's involved in living within the world our heroes now inhabit than anything else at this point. Recap is a bit heavier than I'd like but I've been watching in blocks and I already know many of the terms they're using so it's probably just about right for the more average viewer.

Unless it goes all to pieces I'm going to have to put this one on the recommend list.
--
Hellsing: Ultimate(0-IV)
Dark, violent and bloody; a tale of monsters and those who fight them. Also Nazis, ya gotta have Nazis. My greatest concern with this series is that I'm going to have to figure out how/when I'm going to see the last two episodes (they haven't been licensed yet as far as I can tell).

I believe I have discovered a truly horrible pun. It is terribly subtle and clever (and may have been in the original version, imagine that a bilingual pun!) and I need to find someone that I can burden with this knowledge.
---

Until next time. o_o/
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Cat96 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:06 pm

Thank you for explaining that to me. I don't know Japanese yet, so knowing what was originally said is tough. I still think they could have come up with a better word for it though.
Cat96

Postby KazeShiki » Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:54 pm

Eh, the thing with translating words like demon or other supernatural entities is the cultural and contextual difference, especially for religious people/Christians. Even when anime uses the literal word for demon, it rarely refers to the Christian idea of a demon. Furthermore, it's a question of degree of localization (i.e. how much you change the wording to fit a different culture) and a translator's personal opinion on how the word is used in context and culture. A lot of English speaking people who watch anime are not Christian, even less when it comes to the translators, and their view on the word "demon" is probably far less stringent than your opinion. For example, many people do not distinguish a difference between the words "demon" and "monster." In this particular case, "demon" is a word choice that is less localized but still gets the meaning across effectively. I think you'd be surprised how much translators change what is literally said in order to match the meaning in English language and culture.
"It was then that I found the darkness in my heart, but I wanted to become a strong person who didn't yield to such weakness." - Nana Mizuki
KazeShiki

Postby faithb4sight » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm

MomentOfInertia wrote:If you weren't expecting that you must have seen a very different show description, the one I saw heavily implied that that was where the show was going.

Before starting this particular anime all I'd seen was a 2-sentence description of it, which sounded pretty mild. I found Aria (and the last few series I've watched) by browsing Funimation's available selections (I have a Roku so I can stream directly to my tv. I love technology.) The TV-14 rating threw me off a little since Sands of Destruction is rated the same and it's not bad at all. Goes to show you can never trust Funimation age ratings.

I do think the series was worth my time. I liked the characters and would watch a second season. Honestly Fairy Tail shows more skin (If you don't count Aria's OVA) - Aria just has a few awkward conversations to add to the mix that makes it less clean than Fairy Tail, IMO.
faithb4sight

Postby Mullet Death » Thu Apr 17, 2014 4:49 pm

So, I just discovered that crunchyroll has the library episodes of Fairy Tail up to the current episode. The problem with my plan to catch up is that videos don't play very well on crunchyroll on slower connections. Even when it's cloudy outside, I can usually get a good enough signal to watch things on hulu because hulu videos allow more buffering. Every time I try to watch a crunchyroll video it will barely play, espeically during the first few minutes of a video. It sucks. Anyhoo. Fairy Tail, episode 137, crunchyroll willing...

I Am Mullet Death, Undisputed Ruler of the Mole and Crab People! Fear me!
Mullet Death

Postby Cat96 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Mullet Death wrote:So, I just discovered that crunchyroll has the library episodes of Fairy Tail up to the current episode. The problem with my plan to catch up is that videos don't play very well on crunchyroll on slower connections. Even when it's cloudy outside, I can usually get a good enough signal to watch things on hulu because hulu videos allow more buffering. Every time I try to watch a crunchyroll video it will barely play, espeically during the first few minutes of a video. It sucks. Anyhoo. Fairy Tail, episode 137, crunchyroll willing...

Is crunchyroll free? I've already joined funimation. As I said earlier, I mainly use hulu, but they don't have many episodes of the anime I like. I'm having an issue with their lack of Fairy Tail episodes 11-48. Its still a great site though. I want to watch FMA Brotherhood, but I know it doesn't have many episodes. I hope to watch it dubbed since I heard the voice actors are the same. FMA is one of those very rare shows that I have found to have a spectacular dub cast (and this is coming from someone who very rarely likes the dub for any anime because I don't feel as if the English cast fits the characters well).

I just finished FMA (the original). I cried so much at the ending. I found the ending to be bittersweet (but still good), like the ending of Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Time/Darkness/Sky (and yes, it is a video game, but I still count it) SPOILER: Highlight text to read: I was literally crying so much. It really showed the cost of changing the past. I was just so happy when the hero came back after the credits ended. I also played the special episode in Sky and I was so happy to see that all of the future Pokémon survived somehow. I mean, having them not survive would be a bit dark for a Pokémon. I admit that the game was a bit dark for a Pokémon game, but it helped make the game more interesting. . I also watched the FMA movie, the Conquer of Shamballia, and I also really enjoyed it. It had its flaws (like how it assumes you've already seen all 51 episodes of the original show), but overall it was a great movie.

:bang: I went into a rant again. This is what happens when you finish watching anime at midnight and are really in a strange mood. :rant:
Cat96

Postby faithb4sight » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:25 am

@Cat96
Brotherhood is based off the manga and goes in a completely different direction than the original, so be prepared. It's amazing, though.

I... could not stand the Shamballa movie. At all. I personally pretend it doesn't exist. But it's good you liked it because it means the animators didn't waste their time :)

I understand getting emotional over a video game. In Kingdom Hearts SPOILER: Highlight text to read: when Sora sacrifices himself by stabbing himself with the Keyblade, I felt such sadness.
faithb4sight

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:48 am

Cat96 wrote:
Mullet Death wrote:So, I just discovered that crunchyroll has the library episodes of Fairy Tail up to the current episode. The problem with my plan to catch up is that videos don't play very well on crunchyroll on slower connections. Even when it's cloudy outside, I can usually get a good enough signal to watch things on hulu because hulu videos allow more buffering. Every time I try to watch a crunchyroll video it will barely play, espeically during the first few minutes of a video. It sucks. Anyhoo. Fairy Tail, episode 137, crunchyroll willing...

Is crunchyroll free? I've already joined funimation. As I said earlier, I mainly use hulu, but they don't have many episodes of the anime I like. I'm having an issue with their lack of Fairy Tail episodes 11-48. Its still a great site though.

I don't know what Funimation has, but I do know that both hulu and crunchyroll currently lack the episodes 11-48 of Fairy Tail. This isn't a problem for me personally because I have all of the Funimation blu-ray releases so far. If you have a little money, then I recommend investing in a little Fairy Tail. Blu-ray is by far the best way to watch anime. Otherwise you'll have to wait until either Hulu or Crunchyroll has those episodes again (hulu once did, that's where I watched them first).

Mullet Death

Postby faithb4sight » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:27 am

Fairy Tail eps 1-48 are on Netflix right now. $8 for a month's subscription. They also have SAO, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, etc. Funimation unlimited access has more selection though and I think it's also $8/mo.
faithb4sight

Postby Cat96 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:40 am

faithb4sight wrote:@Cat96
Brotherhood is based off the manga and goes in a completely different direction than the original, so be prepared. It's amazing, though.

I... could not stand the Shamballa movie. At all. I personally pretend it doesn't exist. But it's good you liked it because it means the animators didn't waste their time :)

I understand getting emotional over a video game. In Kingdom Hearts SPOILER: Highlight text to read: when Sora sacrifices himself by stabbing himself with the Keyblade, I felt such sadness.

I heard both series are equally amazing. I'll be trying it soon. I can't wait! :D

Yeah the movie had its flaws. I can see why people didn't like it. I was just glad to finish the series on a slightly happier note (I do admit that the ending of the show itself was great without the movie). I also found Ed's line about being short at 18 to be hilarious. :lol:
Cat96

Postby Mullet Death » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:25 pm

Now I'm on episode 151 of Fairy Tail. Oh man. This arc is going to be awesome.

Mullet Death

Previous Next

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews