best legal site to watch anime

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

best legal site to watch anime

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:45 am

OK, I've been keeping you guys updated on hulu, crunchyroll, crackle, and youtube's anime, so I was wondering which site you think is the best. My vote goes to Crunchyroll, with hulu a close second. The main reason I like Crunchyroll: they have a 100% free app for your iPod with NO hidden fees! (unlike Hulu)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:28 am

I prefer Hulu because they have more series I like/watch- even more than CR. I don't have an iPod so that has no bearing on my opinion.

The Funimation site really should be on here, because virtually all their shows can be watched on there. That's impressive, and rivals both CR and Hulu in terms of how many they have.

Crackle has almost nothing in terms of anime, so they fall into last place.
Atria35

Postby Seto_Sora » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:21 am

I voted for hulu because of quality (and yes, I pay for hulu to play on my PS3). The hulu player usually plays the best quality of video and I've liked there selection best. Funi does have a better selection but their site is a beast. Its slooow. But honestly, that's just my preference of player. I'll watch an anime on any of those sites if any one such will only show that anime.
This

Seto_Sora

Postby Xeno » Thu Nov 17, 2011 6:51 am

While I don't really watch anime much at all I must ask why Netflix was excluded from this list? Is it because they don't carry ongoing series? Because the site has several series on it that I counted as being of high caliber when I did watch anime.
Xeno

Postby akorecki1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 7:47 am

What about *modsnip*.
You can die at any time living takes real courage. - Someone of FMA

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA moderators.

Always be yourself unless you can be a unicorn then always be a unicorn.:rock:
akorecki1

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 8:29 am

[mod snip] is illegal, this is only for legal sites. Mods, snip that one.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:27 am

akorecki1 (post: 1516152) wrote:What about snip or snip or Veoh or Snip.

The ones I took out are all illegal sites, and it's against the site rules to post them here. Veoh hosts a lot of their anime illegally, so yeah.
Atria35

Postby akorecki1 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:43 am

Really sorry i had no idea that was my fault.

akorecki1

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:55 am

So long as Crunchyroll continues to be the only site that acknowledges my existence, it shall remain the only site that gets my money.
blkmage

Postby goldenspines » Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:41 am

Crunchyroll, because they have shorter ads. =D Though, Hulu is nice enough to host the dubs as well as the subs, but CR still has a bigger selection.
goldenspines

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 17, 2011 12:43 pm

And hulu does occasionally let you skip the ads for a longer, two-minute ad. They also have a nice big screen that doesn't really need enlarging.
Also, akorecki1, since you opted out of pm's, I'll tell you a big reason to avoid illegal sites: I used to go to them quite often before I discovered sites like CR and Hulu. One of them was one of the sites you mentioned. It gave my computer a pretty bad virus. None of the legal sites have ever given me a virus. If you want to keep your computer working fine, they are your best bet. (and before anyone says anything about keeping anti-virus programs up to date, even the best virus protection software won't stop every virus from getting in)

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:18 pm

I vote Crunchyroll, since they don't make you create an account with them to watch mature stuff. I used to get around Hulu by going through Funimation, but I hear Funi makes you set up an account now, too.

Other than that, it's pretty close. I've watched great stuff on both.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:23 pm

You don't need an account for Funimation's streaming video. What they have done is start a subscription service a la CrunchyRoll in which they have exclusive stuff that only subscribers can watch such as Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Panty and Stocking and Chaos;head.

Some legal sites not mentioned:

[url=niconico.com/anime]NicoNico[/url] - Their player needs improving, and they're a bit redundant to Funi (for obvious reasons), but they have a growing library. For anyone who wants to keep up with the currently airing stuff Funi streams (apart from Torkio and One Piece) but doesn't like Funi's site or player, NicoNico would be ideal.

[url=theanimenetwork.com]The Anime Network[/url] - Affiliated with Sentai; has lots of exclusive content, some you have to pay for and some you don't. They are also simulcasting more lately. It's where I watched Legends of the Dark King =). For free stuff, they have a FREE HD option, which is an improvement on the rest of the free/legal sites.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby A_Yellow_Dress » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:26 pm

Hulu doesn't like me, I'm Canadian. Crunchyroll is my fave. But youtube is the next best. Funi took a lot of stuff down recently from youtube, but it's still good. Youtube is the most free too...... *totally watched Princess Tutu over youtube!~*
Netflix would be awesome, but their selection over here isn't as huge as the one in the states.

Two cents on illegal sites:
Not to mention, but with illegal sites, you don't always get the best quality vids. Plus, you support the anime industry by using the legal sites. ^^
A_Yellow_Dress

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:37 pm

[quote="TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1516221)"]You don't need an account for Funimation's streaming video. What they have done is start a subscription service a la CrunchyRoll in which they have exclusive stuff that only subscribers can watch such as Trigun: Badlands Rumble, Panty and Stocking and Chaos]
Oh! My mistake; thanks for telling me that. ^^
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:42 pm

I love Nico Nico Douga, but for reasons entirely unrelated to their streaming of anime.
blkmage

Postby Neane » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:42 pm

Crunchy Roll is my major source, and then Hulu and Nico Nico.
The Good thing about Youtube is that you get to list all your shows in playlists and so if someone asks for shows you just give them the link to your list.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:49 pm

[quote="FllMtl Novelist (post: 1516225)"]Oh! My mistake]No problem, happy to help =).

Incidentally, I think that Funi is following CR's lead and giving subscriber-only stuff away for free after some time passes. They currently do this with Fairy Tail.

I really hope they do not make Fafner subscriber-exclusive, as I really want to watch that show. Just seeing it there, but not being able to access it...ugh.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:50 pm

I didn't actually watch the whole video of this because some of the questions were incredibly terrible (Will you make a third season of Darker than Black? was one) but apparently in a live Q&A Funimation said something about trying to get the player to work for Canadians, though I'm not sure if it is just their paid accounts of if they're working on fixing it.

As for myself, I typically find Crunchyroll is much less of a pain when I want to watch things, but it also usually means I cannot buy the show after I finish and love it. I typically find the videos they have to have better quality, anyways.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:55 pm

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs (post: 1516233) wrote:Funimation...Will you make a third season of Darker than Black?

Also: poor Crackle. Sky Crawlers and Tokyo Godfathers = not good enough for CAA. EDIT*(JOKEJOKEJOKE)
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Neane » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:02 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1516234) wrote:Also: poor Crackle. Sky Crawlers and Tokyo Godfathers = not good enough for CAA.

Did they not have those on Youtube at some point?
I remember seeing those on Youtube.
And I believe that Sky Crawlers was one of the free movies there.
Neane

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:06 pm

Neane (post: 1516235) wrote:Did they not have those on Youtube at some point?
Don't think so. Not legal ones anyway. It was a bit of a big deal, or so I thought, that Sony let their properties get streamed for free at all. Lucky Crackle (or maybe not, considering the poll above).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Here's the thing about Funimation: at this point, I don't care whether or not they're fixing their player for us, because it should've been fixed a year ago. It really isn't too much to ask for something to work if they've promised it. And Funimation wonders why they've earned the ire of everyone outside of the United States of America.
blkmage

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 10:01 pm

TheSubtleDoctor (post: 1516234) wrote:Also: poor Crackle. Sky Crawlers and Tokyo Godfathers = not good enough for CAA. EDIT*(JOKEJOKEJOKE)

I'd be much more interested in crackle if Tokyo Godfathers wasn't one of the few things on it that wasn't somewhere else already, and their list wasn't so limited in general. It would also help if their site worked better. Selecting TV and Anime nets you american live action shows, and that's a little irking when you're trying to see only their anime selection.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby akorecki1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:04 am

Do you have to pay for crunchy roll?

akorecki1

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:06 am

not necessarily. If you don't mind sitting through ads, it's free. You just have to wait at least a week for new episodes for shows like Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, or Eyeshield 21. It's all a matter of what you want. You don't even have to register, unless you want to post comments and pay lots of money. But I hear they give you free weeks if you're a member.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby akorecki1 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 8:15 am

rocklobster (post: 1516387) wrote:not necessarily. If you don't mind sitting through ads, it's free. You just have to wait at least a week for new episodes for shows like Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, or Eyeshield 21. It's all a matter of what you want. You don't even have to register, unless you want to post comments and pay lots of money. But I hear they give you free weeks if you're a member.

oh okay

akorecki1

Postby battletech » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:09 am

rocklobster (post: 1516387) wrote:not necessarily. If you don't mind sitting through ads, it's free. You just have to wait at least a week for new episodes for shows like Naruto Shippuden, Bleach, or Eyeshield 21. It's all a matter of what you want. You don't even have to register, unless you want to post comments and pay lots of money. But I hear they give you free weeks if you're a member.

I'm a none paying member and like every three months they give me a 30 day free trial. Oh by the way my name is bluebattletech on Cruchyroll. If your on there and want to friend me.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews