Is Durarara! worth finishing?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Is Durarara! worth finishing?

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:07 am

I just watched the first two episodes of Durarara! today and I'm not really sure wither I like it or not. I'd rather not waste my time with it any further if it's not that great of an anime and since I don't think there is a review up for this yet I figured I'd ask the opinion of everyone here on CAA. What is this anime even supposed to be about? I'm a little confused. I watched the episodes on demand with Comcast and they didn't give a very detailed description. I already don't like one of the characters (which is rare for me, I usually don't have a true dislike for characters in most shows). I can already tell Izaya Orihara is going to get on my nerves. :lol: That's honestly besides the point though. So anyway, yeah, does anyone else here watch this? Do you like it? Would you recommend it to anyone else?
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

NIV, Romans 8:38-39.
TopazRaven

Postby MrKrillz0r » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:10 am

Yes, yes and yes! Its awesome! There is some slight fanservice and some characters really have a bad mouth, but if thats not a problem for you its totally worth watching. Though I'm so bad at explaining so I think I'd rather wait for someone else to do that, I'll either spoil it or make it seem like a bad show if I try. -_-
Game on!
MrKrillz0r

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:19 am

With such a large cast of characters (and I think I counted out at 12 'main' ones), there are going to be some you dislike- in fact, there's at least one you're supposed to dislike. The first few episodes do seem a bit slow, but it's definitely worth sticking out for a while more.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:23 am

This was the CAA "Let's Watch" a while back. I think the general consensus was that it was an original and well made show, with good characters, solid plot, and a few storytelling problems in its second half.

Personally, I thought it was superb (if you couldn't tell by my avatar).

As far as content is concerned there is some swearing (don't remember how much), violence without fatalities, and one scene showing near total female nudity in a non-sexual manner.

I would whole-heartedly recommend that you continue to watch it, and pretty much everybody else on CAA would say the same. It takes a little while for the characters to.... develop, so give it some time. You will probably like all of the characters by the end, barring Izaya (who will always act like he does in the first two episodes). In fact, if you don't like most of the characters then something is wrong with you.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jul 20, 2011 10:34 am

Yeah, so far Izaya is the only character I can't stand. Everyone else seems pretty interesting. I can honestly say I think my favorite character so far might be the black rider or whatever the heck she's called. I'm sure you know who I'm talking about. Anyway thanks for the advice so far guys! There are two more episodes on demand left for me to watch so I guess I'll give them a shot later.
For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

TopazRaven

Postby MomentOfInertia » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:02 pm

Keep going the first few episodes were confusing for me too, then it all started to come together.

It takes a while before they show you everything that's going on.
ep 3 or 4 (I forget which it might even be 5) is a backstory for the rider she's a very interesting character.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby TopazRaven » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:44 pm

I just finished the first four episodes a little bit ago and am now fully interested. Celty certainlty is an interesting character. I also like Shinra and Shizo. Hoping I spelled their names right. xD Though I had to wince at the part where they where disecting Celty. Poor woman. 0.o

TopazRaven

Postby mechana2015 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:57 pm

Celty Shizuo and Shinra are probably my favorite charachters in the show, so you seem to be off to a good start. :D

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby crazypackersfan » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:27 pm

I've watched the first 5 episodes (one per week on Adult Swim) and I've had a hard time getting into it. It's very slow in its pacing, and I'm not a big fan of the way a different character narrates every episode. (Narration is great if you have a good narrator like Kyon in Haruhi, but these narrators have been lacking.) I'm still giving it a chance, though, since there is so much hype over it. Surely it's got to get better soon, right?
Anime Bowl (my blog) - the most unusual anime blog possible
crazypackersfan

Postby Furen » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:52 pm

I've been told by many MANY people to watch it, so it must be good.
And this I pray, that your love would abound still, more and more with real knowledge and all discernment. Be prepared to preach the gospel at a moment's notice. Do you know the gospel well enough to do so yourself? Be ready.
Furen

Postby Kaori » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:11 pm

crazypackersfan (post: 1492543) wrote:I've watched the first 5 episodes (one per week on Adult Swim) and I've had a hard time getting into it. It's very slow in its pacing, and I'm not a big fan of the way a different character narrates every episode. (Narration is great if you have a good narrator like Kyon in Haruhi, but these narrators have been lacking.) I'm still giving it a chance, though, since there is so much hype over it. Surely it's got to get better soon, right?

After only five episodes, everything probably still seems fairly disconnected, right? That's one of the main things that changes in the next several episodes--things connect together much more as the series progresses. There's also a fair amount of character development that you haven't seen yet.

I'm on episode 21 right now, and so far episode 11 is my favorite for reasons that are far too spoilerish to state, so I guess I would encourage you to stick with it at least for the first half of the series (up through episode 12). But then, I liked Durarara!! quite a bit from the very beginning, so it's possible that if you don't like it yet, your opinion might not change much even if you continue to watch.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jul 25, 2011 5:30 am

It's currently on Adult Swim, Topaz. I've been watching it ever since it debuted there and I've liked what I've seen so far.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TopazRaven » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:34 am

I've been watching it on Adult Swin as well. The newer episodes in least, I caught up to Saturday's episode by watching the first four on demand. xD

TopazRaven

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews