The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Postby Ashley » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:39 pm

Many, many thanks to Cap'n Nick for this thoroughly excellent review!

http://www.christiananime.net/reviews.php?display=253
Ashley

Postby rocklobster » Sat Sep 23, 2006 2:45 pm

So, when's this heavily buzzed title coming here?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:02 am

BTW. Just as a warning, the review has some spoilers.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:28 pm

i personally don't believe that this anime should receive a 16+ rating since that's basically giving it an "R" rating (same goes to trigun). also, i believe that the violence content level should be at least a 5. though there's very little violence in this anime, the violence that's shown is quite disturbing and bloody. not to mention extremely shocking.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mangafanatic » Sun Sep 24, 2006 11:01 pm

jon_jinn wrote:i personally don't believe that this anime should receive a 16+ rating since that's basically giving it an "R" rating (same goes to trigun). also, i believe that the violence content level should be at least a 5. though there's very little violence in this anime, the violence that's shown is quite disturbing and bloody. not to mention extremely shocking.

We leave the quick index (in general) upto the discretion of the reviewer. Looking at the ratings, having seen the show, I think the ratings were appropriate. Perhaps they are not exactly what I or you would select, but the descrriptions that accompanied that quick indexs is complete. The index isn't really supposed to be the guiding force of the review anyways.

Furthermore, I couldn't feel comfortable giving this show a suggested age of anything less than 15. With that said, sixteen, erring a bit on the side of caution, is probably a good plan, IMHO.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Momo-P » Mon Sep 25, 2006 5:01 am

If it's not too much to ask, could anyone give a better explanation of the religion portion? Cuz I'm open to spoilers (not to mention saw the first two or three episodes) so it's kinda hard to see how that happens. ^^;
Momo-P

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:41 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Furthermore, I couldn't feel comfortable giving this show a suggested age of anything less than 15.

that's what i would've given it. a 15+ rating. it may just be in my head but i think there's a BIG difference between a 15+ and a 16+ rating. maybe because the 16+ rating would apply to "M" rated games also.

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Ingemar » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:06 am

[quote="Momo-P"]If it's not too much to ask, could anyone give a better explanation of the religion portion? Cuz I'm open to spoilers (not to mention saw the first two or three episodes) so it's kinda hard to see how that happens. ^^]The title character, it is revealed, is God. This may be upsetting to some (but maybe not others) because Haruhi is omnipotent without being omniscient. In fact her "omnipotence" is called into question since, for all her fascination with the paranormal and otherworldly, cannot bring herself to accept it (though ironically she attracts all sorts of weird characters without realizing it).

Some also may be offended that God likes to strip buxom schoolgirls and force them to wear bunnysuits (of the Playboy-esque variety).
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby Momo-P » Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:11 am

Ingemar wrote:The title character, it is revealed, is God. This may be upsetting to some (but maybe not others) because Haruhi is omnipotent without being omniscient. In fact her "omnipotence" is called into question since, for all her fascination with the paranormal and otherworldly, cannot bring herself to accept it (though ironically she attracts all sorts of weird characters without realizing it).

Some also may be offended that God likes to strip buxom schoolgirls and force them to wear bunnysuits (of the Playboy-esque variety).

Ah, ok, thanks for explaining a bit more. Then in that case I definitely think I'm hooked. Kinda reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where that little boy could make whatever he want happen. *heh*

But thanks for writing the review Nick! Quite happy the fanservice isn't in almost every episode like some people acted.
Momo-P

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm

Momo-P wrote:Ah, ok, thanks for explaining a bit more. Then in that case I definitely think I'm hooked. Kinda reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode where that little boy could make whatever he want happen. *heh*

But thanks for writing the review Nick! Quite happy the fanservice isn't in almost every episode like some people acted.

yes. the fanservice is only present is some of the episodes. other episodes carry more serious tones and the fanservice is basically meant to bring comic relief and (or course) to please "fans".

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:20 pm

Eh, I don't know. The fanservice was pretty consistent in my book. I can think of few episodes when there wasn't atleast some reference of the bust size of Asahina, some forced constume change, or a bunny girl costume. Now, I'm sure there were exceptions, but I just don't want you to walk into it unaware.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby jon_jinn » Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:05 pm

even so, the fanservice wasn't bad enough to earn the 16+ rating. most PG-13 movies would probably feature such content, if not even worse.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:03 pm

jon_jinn wrote:even so, the fanservice wasn't bad enough to earn the 16+ rating. most PG-13 movies would probably feature such content, if not even worse.

Yes, I suppose that would boil down to a personal opinion, so I won't argue the point. In the end, we must each do what our conscience compels us to do, even when that might mean slapping what some might consider an very conservative age label on MHoS.

Mangafanatic

Postby Cap'n Nick » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:11 am

To be fair, when I wrote this review I did not equate 16+ with an R rating. If I had to rate it that way I would put it somewhere between PG-13 and R. It's a tad racey for PG-13 but its more intense moments are definitely in restricted territory. That and the low but constant hum of teenage hormones and anti-Christian worldview mean that a rating of 15+ or 16+ accurately reflects my feelings on the general offensiveness of the show.

To everyone younger than sixteen out there, I am not trying to insult your maturity. I know of plenty of young teens I would allow to watch this show (and some twenty-somethings I wouldn't). It is a very rough guide, not an iron-clad ultimatum.
Cap'n Nick

Postby Ashley » Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:01 am

Cap'n Nick wrote:It is a very rough guide, not an iron-clad ultimatum.

Which is all a review really ever should be.
Ashley

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:15 pm

Cap'n Nick wrote:To be fair, when I wrote this review I did not equate 16+ with an R rating. If I had to rate it that way I would put it somewhere between PG-13 and R. It's a tad racey for PG-13 but its more intense moments are definitely in restricted territory. That and the low but constant hum of teenage hormones and anti-Christian worldview mean that a rating of 15+ or 16+ accurately reflects my feelings on the general offensiveness of the show.

To everyone younger than sixteen out there, I am not trying to insult your maturity. I know of plenty of young teens I would allow to watch this show (and some twenty-somethings I wouldn't). It is a very rough guide, not an iron-clad ultimatum.

thank you for justifiying your decision. i was simply stating my opinion of the review so don't get the wrong idea. :sweat:

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:58 pm

Only a seven? Image
Joshua Christopher

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Tue Oct 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Joshua Christopher wrote:Only a seven? Image

Yes only a 7
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:08 am

Joshua Christopher wrote:Only a seven?

yep. that sorta surprised me also. however, it's the reviewer's choice so yeah.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Cap'n Nick » Sat Oct 07, 2006 6:55 pm

I could give it an eight if it baked me some brownies.
Cap'n Nick

Postby jon_jinn » Sat Oct 07, 2006 8:36 pm

Cap'n Nick wrote:I could give it an eight if it baked me some brownies.

if you give it a nine, then you'll get brownies from me also.

[SIZE="1"]
- John MacArthur

- Abraham Kuyper

- John Piper

-John Piper

- R.C. Sproul

- Mark Driscoll

- Martin Luther

- John Bunyan

- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Joshua Christopher » Mon Oct 09, 2006 12:44 am

Cap'n Nick wrote:I could give it an eight if it baked me some brownies.

Pfft. That whole awesome concert sequence was so brownies.
:)
Joshua Christopher

Postby crossovershippe » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:22 pm

jon_jinn (post: 980283) wrote:i personally don't believe that this anime should receive a 16+ rating since that's basically giving it an "R" rating (same goes to trigun). also, i believe that the violence content level should be at least a 5. though there's very little violence in this anime, the violence that's shown is quite disturbing and bloody. not to mention extremely shocking.

i think it should be rated 'r' since haruhi molests mikuru often
crossovershippe

Postby goldenspines » Sat Mar 19, 2011 8:48 am

Wow, this is a major gravedig. Just as a general note, we discourage posting in a thread that's older than a year since the people who were posting in this thread probably haven't been around for a while, nor would they care much about the thread anymore.
Therefore, Crossovershippe, please be mindful of post dates in the future and try to post in more recent threads.

Thanks!
goldenspines

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews