Higurashi

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Higurashi

Postby KougaHane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:58 am

I recently had a horrible experience with a show I won't name because I don't want to admit to watching it. Needless to say I now make sure and read this site's opinion before picking up a show. However I came across a show called Higurashi no naku koro ni via an amv of a song I love, and it looked interesting but I found no review on this site. There basically just two questions I want to ask before giving it a shot. Number one, is there any nudity/sexuality? Two, is it depressing? I can't watch shows with either of these, number one is obvious, but two I can't watch depressing shows especially if it ends badly (i.e. characters dying or being separated for eternity, etc.) because I get seriously depressed and act differently for weeks at a time. I worry about what I watch now because I wish I'd never seen that last show. :sniffle:
chatbot 09:36 - KougaHane asks, Will you be my friend?
My answer: No
KougaHane 09:36 - T_T
KougaHane

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:01 am

If you can't stand a show that has negative endings or content, Higurashi is not the show for you. Despite it's art style it's a rather dark horror murder mystery show with some even darker twists, and quite a bit of gore. It's pretty disturbing at times, but well told for the most part if one can get past the content required for the show to work as it does.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby KougaHane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:04 am

mechana2015 (post: 1407699) wrote:If you can't stand a show that has negative endings or content, Higurashi is not the show for you. Despite it's art style it's a rather dark horror murder mystery show with some even darker twists, and quite a bit of gore. It's pretty disturbing at times, but well told for the most part if one can get past the content required for the show to work as it does.

I can handle gore and violence it's just any nudity or sexual content I have a real problem with.
KougaHane

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:46 am

KougaHane (post: 1407701) wrote:I can handle gore and violence it's just any nudity or sexual content I have a real problem with.

Then you should be fine. In the second season, you do have the implication of a girl being physically (and possibly sexually) abused, but nothing is really shown onscreen.

As to it being depressing, well.... The last arc of the first season is where things start to look up. It still has a 'bad end', but shows that things are changing and will get better- but the characters will have to work for their happy end.

Which reminds me- the first season is basically a bunch of pieces to the mystery surrounding the town. You have to watch the second (Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai) to get the answer as to what is going on.
Atria35

Postby KougaHane » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:20 pm

Atria35 (post: 1407710) wrote:Then you should be fine. In the second season, you do have the implication of a girl being physically (and possibly sexually) abused, but nothing is really shown onscreen.

As to it being depressing, well.... The last arc of the first season is where things start to look up. It still has a 'bad end', but shows that things are changing and will get better- but the characters will have to work for their happy end.

Which reminds me- the first season is basically a bunch of pieces to the mystery surrounding the town. You have to watch the second (Higurashi no naku koro ni Kai) to get the answer as to what is going on.

think I may give it a view then, see if I like it.
KougaHane

Postby mechana2015 » Thu Jul 08, 2010 2:27 pm

I wasn't really meaning that the gore is the disturbing part. You mentioned charachter death and things ending badly, and that's what I was referring to. The show is a sort of repetitive cycle that essentially demonstrates how many ways something can go horribly wrong. The character back stories are in some cases horribly depressing as well with child abuse coming into play at one point. Higurashi is NOT a happy show, and if you have problems with being emotionally effected by anime, stay away.

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby Tsukuyomi » Thu Jul 08, 2010 3:22 pm

I personally loved Higurashi, but didn't finish it :(

Here's a link to the discussion thread http://www.christiananime.net/showthread.php?t=52847

There may be some spoilerific spoilers, though ^^
Tsukuyomi

Location: I am a figment of your imagination... I live only in your dreams... I haunt you ~(O_O)~

Postby Sapphire225 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:56 am

Higurashi is violent and gory, but there is no nudity or sexual scenes, as far as I can recall I should say. Not for minors or those who can't stand gore. Also, it is horror, so I have to say, if you wanna sleep at night, you better watch the show in the daytime.

Anyway, I loved the show, it has its twists and turns and you pick up what's happening after a while.
"Because the World isn't as cruel as you take it to be." ~ Celty, Durarara!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
~Deuteronomy 31:6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We live in a fantasy world, a world of illusion. The great task in life is to find reality. ~ Iris Murdoch
Sapphire225

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:11 pm

Well, there is some mild nudity in at least one episode, but they manage to keep it from being very fanservice-ish.

KougaHane (post: 1407697) wrote:I can't watch depressing shows especially if it ends badly (i.e. characters dying or being separated for eternity, etc.) because I get seriously depressed and act differently for weeks at a time. I worry about what I watch now because I wish I'd never seen that last show. :sniffle:

Honestly? I dunno if you'll be able to make it to the "happy" part. I really like Higurashi, but it's one of the most relentlessly depressing and unsettling programs I've EVER seen.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Yamamaya » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:28 pm

I love Higurashi!

However while watching it you have to prepared to see your favorite characters go insane and go through horrendous ordeals. The gore isn't that awful but in some situations it is very disturbing.

But it is a great series if you enjoy mystery and horror.

Besides mild fanservice there's no nudity or sexual content I can think of.
Yamamaya

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews