anime and spirits

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

anime and spirits

Postby angelcake » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:46 pm

Hey everyone,

There's something that's been bothering me a lot, especially lately. This is related to anime and God. I am basically confused. Or maybe I know the answer and I just don't like it. Either way, I'd like to know what you guys think. I did send a message to someone here cause I wanted to talk about it with this person and find out what the person thinks. I hope the person didn't take the message the wrong way, that's why I decided to post it here.

This is something kind of personal and that's why I wasn't sure if I should post it here. But here we go ...

I admit that the holy spirit reveals more things to me the more I grow in God. I sometimes do feel that a lot of the topics or things in anime are probably things that God does not like. I've mentioned before that I've only watched a few of them, but even in some movies, I get this little feeling inside (holy spirit maybe?) that I probably shouldn't watch it, or my heart starts to beat a little faster. There has been times when I ignore this feeling because I like the anime. Because some of the things that are in many of these anime series or movies are things that maybe can only be seen in the spiritual realm, may affect us in some ways and we may not know it. May be it sounds like I am exaggerating but this has been bothering me.

Let me give you an example. Miyazaki movies are good examples. We know that there are many things there that's related to spirits, idols, etc. Because these are things that we are watching, even if we don't believe in them, there's a possibility that we are inviting in these spirits into our homes, and in ourselves. We may not be able to see it, but it's a possibility that this may happen. I want to please God and I want to what is right. However, this feeling doesn't leave me alone and I know that most animes have things related to spirits (mostly evil spirits), idol worshipers, witch craft, etc. I feel like I need to accept this but at the same time it's hard for me to let it go because I really do enjoy watching anime. I can't think of any from the top of my head that don't have anything related to spirits and stuff like that.

Honestly, I used to think that maybe it's just something that is part of their culture and I didn't have to believe in it just because I watched it. I used to think, "well if it doesn't affect me in any way, then it's ok to watch it", but I am starting to think that it may affect me in ways that cannot be seen.

I already struggle with things on my own like many of us do. Being a Christian doesn't mean your problems go away. I try to be a better person, to seek God more, and to please him. I don't want to invite the enemy into my life by watching things that promote spirits and such. I just wanted to share this with you guys.

It is pretty personal but I felt like I had to tell someone who might understand me.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks!
angelcake

Postby Kaligraphic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:33 pm

Anime, even anime that depicts such subjects, is not of itself dangerous or displeasing to God. HOWEVER, your faith is more precious than anime. If you have difficulty watching any anime - or, really, doing anything at all - while maintaining your faith that you are accepted by God, then it is better to set it aside for the moment. That doesn't mean that it's wrong, or that you have to stop other people from watching it, or even that you'll never watch it yourself. It just means that, right at that moment, you don't feel right about it. There's no shame in saying "I'd feel better not watching that right now."

The truth of the matter is, what God cares about is His relationship with you. He wants you to get to know Him, to do things with Him, to experience Him. He'd be happy to watch anime with you, so to speak. You're accepted and loved by God if you watch or if you don't watch. You are free in God to watch any anime - but if watching a particular anime would damage your faith in God's love and the acceptance that gave you that freedom, or if it causes you personally to think in dangerous or unproductive ways, it might not be worth it. The degree to which your faith is affected is something you'll have to judge for yourself on a case-by-case basis, but hopefully this has been of help in framing the question.
The cake used to be a lie like you, but then it took a portal to the deception core.
Kaligraphic

Postby steenajack » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:07 am

I second what Kaligraphic has said. :D
Please, feel free to check out my sites:

My Deviant Art[/color]
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!!!
My FictionPress[/color]
My tumblr[/color] Read...fave...reblog...repeat...
steenajack

Postby SnoringFrog » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:20 am

It just comes down to if it doesn't feel right, then it's not worth it. Even if you like it, if it's making you feel the way you say it is, then it's something that you should probably try to remove from your life as much as you can.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby PrincessZelda » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:45 am

Well, everything I was going to say Kali pretty much already said. ;)

But I think what's important is that if you feel bad about, and you feel like you might be suffering spiritually from it, then stay away from it.
"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."

PrincessZelda

Postby Nate » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:47 am

And here I thought this was going to be a thread about drinking while watching anime. Which isn't a half-bad idea. It would certainly make some shows more interesting!

But yeah, Kali and SnoringFrog have pretty much summed it up pretty well. If it makes you feel bad don't watch it. However, in addition to that, not everyone will feel bad about watching it, so if you personally don't like it, don't turn that into a "Nobody should watch this!" crusade because everyone can handle different stuff.

And that pretty much covers it I think.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Wolf-man » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:00 pm

I agree mostly with what Kali is saying. I would add, though, that it does come down to personal convictions. There is not set list of "THE ANIME THAT CHRISTIANS SHOULD AND SHOULD NOT WATCH!!!!" You (really this applies to all Christ Followers) just have to understand that if you feel uneasy about something you are doing then that is the Holy Spirit convicting you and you need to stop doing it. This may mean something as simple as giving up one or two shows or it may be as drastic as giving up Anime all together. I don't like the phrase "What Would Jesus Do?" because it makes Jesus into this moral guy that isn't around anymore. It really should be "What is Jesus telling you?" Which we can find in the Scripture. As Kali and the others said: No matter what there is nothing that is more important than your faith in Jesus Christ and your relationship with Him and we need to be able to give up anything for His sake.
Wolf-man

Postby rainbowchick_02 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:29 pm

If it seems to bother you while you watch it then it's probuably for the best that you don't watch it. Do what seems right. :)
:3
rainbowchick_02

Postby angelcake » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 pm

Thanks everyone for your advice. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "we". I meant to use it in general terms. I was mainly speaking for myself because like I said, it is something personal. I just wanted to know what you guys thought of it.

I really appreciate all your comments. I feel more clear about all of this. I thought about it a lot yesterday and today. I still like anime. I think I'm just going to cool it down a bit with me liking the Japanese culture. I think I should use most of that energy with my relationship with God (spend more time talking to Him, worshiping Him, etc.). I don't want to obsess over anything so I think I'm going to keep watching certain animes that I know are okay to watch. I am going to ask God first about the anime that I want to watch. I've decided that instead of asking people for what they think, I'm going to ask Him for wisdom so that I know what I should and shouldn't watch. For now, I'm going to sell and get rid of some anime stuff that I have in my room, like dvds, and dolls (that's pretty much all I have that is anime related). I also have some figures that I don't mind getting rid of. I'm going to be more careful about what I watch. For sure, I won't ignore the feeling that I get, so I rather act upon it.

Thanks again for your input. :)
angelcake

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews