4Kids Reports 3rd Party is Interested in Acquiring It

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

4Kids Reports 3rd Party is Interested in Acquiring It

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon May 10, 2010 10:35 am

Full article
ANN wrote:The 4Kids Entertainment licensing and broadcasting company has announced in its 2010 First Quarter financial results on Monday "that it had received a non-binding indication of interest from a third party to acquire 4Kids." According to 4Kids, the third party expressed interest in acquiring the company for a premium over the market capitalization of its common stock. However, 4Kids cautioned that there is no assurance that a deal will go through.

4Kids had retained the financial advisor Montgomery & Co. to help evaluate its strategic alternatives in 2009. The company's Special Committee of the Board of Directors was planning to consider options "including, but not limited to, asset sales, alliances with strategic partners, and/or a sale of the Company through a merger or other corporate transaction."

For the three months ending on March 31, 4Kids announced net revenues of US$4.2 million, compared to US$9.3 million in the same period in 2009. Its net loss was US$3.5 million, compared to US$2.0 million in the same period in 2009. 4Kids acknowledged that it faces delisting from the New York Stock Exchange since its market capitalization has been below the US$15 million minimum that it must maintain.

The company's stock price closed on Friday at US$1.10, but it hit a high of US$1.25 on Monday morning before settling at US$1.15 as of 12:20 p.m. EDT. Its current market capitalization is roughly US$15.62 million...

Prescott Group Capital Management reported in a mandated U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission filing on April 30 that it acquired 2,414,209 shares of 4Kids Entertainment. These shares represents 18% of the outstanding shares of 4Kids' common stock. According to Prescott, 4Kids is "undervalued and represented an attractive investment opportunity." However, Prescott added that the investment was "not made for the purpose of acquiring control" of 4Kids. Source: DealFlow Media
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Mon May 10, 2010 3:56 pm

Hmm, maybe if someone else acquires them, they'll make better dubs.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 11, 2010 8:15 am

4Kids Update:

Full article

ANN wrote:The American licensing and distribution company 4Kids Entertainment released its report on Monday for the quarter ending on March 31. The company reported a net loss attributable to 4Kids of approximately US$3.5 million, compared to a net loss of approximately US$2.0 million during the first quarter of 2009.

During 4Kids' quarterly conference call, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Alfred Kahn said that this first quarter was "below expectations." Kahn said that 4Kids had budgeted for a loss of US$1.5 million. Kahn cited several reasons for the more-than-projected loss during the conference call, saying television and internet advertising revenues were less than projected, and delays in production of animated content resulted in extra costs. Expanding upon the latter reason, Kahn said that 4Kids has "signed up a number of new shows that are going to be localized but ... a number of the materials coming from our licensor have been delayed and those materials were the things necessary to start the dubbing and ... localization processes."

4Kids' net revenue for the quarter was approximately US$4.2 million, compared to US$9.3 million for the first quarter of 2009. Chief Financial Officer Bruce R. Foster said that part of the decrease from 2009 was a result of decreased international broadcast sales from the Dinosaur King and Yu-Gi-Oh! television series, down US$0.8 million and US$0.2 million respectively, and a "decreased revenue from the Pokémon movie of approximately US$0.1 million." However, on the expense side, Foster said that due to decreased personnel-related costs and decreased advertising and marketing costs, the expenses decreased approximately 41 percent to US$7.1 million for the quarter as compared to the same time in 2009.

Kahn said he was encouraged that revenue for the Yu-Gi-Oh! franchise had increased more than 10 percent from this time last year, and noted that 4Kids is "working on a number of Yu-Gi-Oh! 10th anniversary incentives to continue our support and promote the brand."

Rebranding of The CW's Saturday Morning Block
Kahn confirmed during the conference call that 4Kids will be re-branding its five-hour Sunday morning block on The CW network for the 2010-2011 season, and one of the new shows as a part of that initiative will be Dragon Ball Z Kai. 4Kids previously announced in April that it would air Dragon Ball Z Kai on The CW network, and also noted a tentative title for the new block, "Toonzai." According to Kahn, the new brand will be "a Japanese bent block." Kahn noted that other Japanese blocks on American television did well, citing the former Toonami block on Cartoon Network as an example. Kahn said that 4Kids will "be announcing some additional Japanese content which we believe will enhance our block and garner improved ratings as well as give us additional opportunities in the licensing area." He added that based on "the history of our business, we ... have obviously made very significant amounts of money by bringing in some wonderful Japanese properties."
At Least 12 New Properties to Be Introduced This Year
Kahn also said that 4Kids will be showing at least five new properties at a licensing show in Las Vegas in June, and "obviously, when all is said and done for 2010, we will be introducing a minimum of 12 new properties." Of these 12 properties, eight will be "children's licenses" under 4Kids Entertainment, and four will fall under 4Kids subsidiary 4Sight Licensing Solutions, which will "develop licenses to a broader spectrum of demographies and not necessarily children." Kahn did not specify how many of these titles will be Japanese-animated.
Kahn had said in March that "4Kids needs to return to its roots as a licensing and merchandising company [that] specializes in bringing wonderful Japanese programming and merchandising to the rest of the world."

Possible Delisting from New York Stock Exchange
During the conference call, Kahn also remarked on the recent warning from the New York Stock Exchange regarding delisting, saying that if delisted, the company shares "would trade on pink sheets." Kahn also mentioned the interest from a third-party company to acquire 4Kids, saying that 4Kids would be in contact with the company after the conference call.
At the end of the conference call, Kahn said that if 4Kids can "get meaningful revenue contributions" from one or more of its new properties, and produce profits from internet and network advertising, then "the company should and will begin to return to profitability."

4Kids' past and current anime licenses have included Pokémon, One Piece, Tokyo Mew Mew, Kirby: Right Back At Ya!, Sonic X, Yu-Gi-Oh!, Shaman King, and Dinosaur King. The company announced in March that it had licensed the Japanese/Korean animated series Tai Chi Chasers (Tai Chi Senjimon).

Source: Seeking Alpha
Twelve?!? If even half of those are anime, then that, I think, is good news.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby blkmage » Tue May 11, 2010 9:33 am

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that among those of us here who occasionally follow the industry and its death throes, there aren't many who particularly care about 4kids except to mock it mercilessly.
blkmage

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue May 11, 2010 10:26 am

blkmage (post: 1393523) wrote:I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that among those of us here who occasionally follow the industry and its death throes, there aren't many who particularly care about 4kids except to mock it mercilessly.
Sure, they have screwed up in the past (I believe more specific talk is forbotten) and, most likely, they will screw up again. But...part of me still wants to hope. With the company refocusing, perhaps, perhaps they will be more careful with their licenses. Even with all the mistakes they have made (and will make), they still reach a good-sized audience, and there is at least some potential to grow the US market. I think there are a fair few folks on this forum whose first introduction to anime was a kids' TV hack job (be it CN, Foxkids or 4Kids). Once people are exposed to anime, presuming they enjoy it, they will acquire more and more of it. Gradually, their tastes develop and mature. Eventually, they become the blkamges of the world (or some approximation thereof) =). So...to make a long story short, I am cautiously optimistic about this news.
TheSubtleDoctor

NY Stock Exchange Begins Delisting Process for 4Kids

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu May 13, 2010 12:30 pm

More 4Kids News:

NY Stock Exchange Begins Delisting Process for 4Kids
ANN wrote:4Kids has 10 days to request review of decision, or trade over-the-counter

The American licensing and distribution company 4Kids Entertainment has announced on Thursday that the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) has begun delisting procedures for the company, since its average market capitalization over 30 trading days has been less than US$15 million. 4Kids will be deciding over the next 10 business days on whether to exercise its right to request a review of the delisting decision. If 4Kids does not request a review, it expects to trade its stock on the over-the-counter market.

4Kids announced in March that the NYSE had warned of the possible delisting. Chairman and Chief Executive Officer Alfred Kahn had said during the conference call for 4Kids' 1st Quarter 2010 financial results that, if the company was delisted, it would continue to operate and "trade on pink sheets" in the over-the-counter market.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby airichan623 » Mon May 17, 2010 11:02 pm

personally i hope they do a dub of kirarin revolution... the next hannah montana might as well b a poorly dubbed anime girl XD

[color="Magenta"][SIZE="4"]愛理ちゃん六二三[/SIZE][/color]

DeviantArt[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]MAL[color="DeepSkyBlue"]~[/color]Tumblr
airichan623

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews