Rare Anime titles?

The real heart of CAA; discuss specific series, issues, and things related to anime here.

Rare Anime titles?

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:02 am

In your travels, have you ever come across an anime that gained a special place in your heart? Years later, you look back and think of that anime and say, "Man, it sure would be nice to see that again.". Mysteriously, though, when you go to look for it, it's nowhere to be found... I personally know of one such anime in my life. It was, in fact, my first encounter with Japanese animation. An old VHS casette containing a movie called 'Secret of the Seal'.

The fact it was missing didn't worry me at first. I simply thought that it was old, it was VHS, and it would look nicer on DVD. But... This was a rare anime. I spent many hours with Google looking for a trace of its existence. My results... Scattered mentionings of vague memories of an anime remembered by few from their childhood. (One result was the sole english comment on an entirely russian website.) Eventually, I managed to scrape together enough data only to confuse me more.

Apparently, it was produced by the same animation studio that worked on Code Geass. It was produced as part of a series of anime based off works of litterature, and its Japanese title was 'Totoi', which to my memory was the name of the main character.

The story, as I remember it, was about a young boy named Antonio living in a polluted city in Germany. It opens with the funeral of his mother, and his father's decision to move the family to the island of Sardinia where the environment is cleaner. After their arrival, they meet with relatives and begin making repairs on an old house belonging to their family. Antonio meets his cousin Billia (who gives Antonio the nickname Totoi) and his friends Pedro and Catalina, and eventually discovers possibly the last remaining specimines of a supposedly extinct species of seal: a mother and her cub. With help from an old man named Noni Sponu, he befriends the seals, naming the cub Zabione. That's barely the beginning of the adventure.

The english dub was memorable. It had many of the flaws of early dubbing, two of which I recall were an instance where a character's mouth moved to the lines of a different character, and an instance where the audio was completely absent as a possibly important line was spoken. In my eyes however, that only added to the charm of this early memory

The company releasing it is an issue of debate. I only remember it as '100% Just for Kids', which I am quite certain is of no relation to 4Kids entertainment. In fact, i believe they might have gone under before the age of DVDs. This prospect saddens me, as it means there would be no DVD release.

Could it be possible, however unlikely, that someone else may remember this rare gem from the past? If that isn't the case, it would still be wonderful to hear of your memories of any anime that you've come across that has yet to resurface. :) who knows? We may be able to help eachother reunite with a small piece of our pasts.

Please enjoy this thread!
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby rocklobster » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:03 am

My rare anime would be Final Fantasy Legend of the Crystals. It's supposedly based on Final Fantasy 5, but I never played it so I can't really say. It was kind of corny and only slightly entertaining. It was distributed by Urban Vision and I think they're not even in business anymore.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Nate » Thu Apr 22, 2010 10:52 am

RidleyofZebes wrote:an instance where the audio was completely absent as a possibly important line was spoken.

That wasn't a flaw or a mistake. That's a cliche in anime, to have important lines be silenced out. See Neon Genesis Evangelion (audio goes silent when Gendo says something to Ritsuko near the end) or Saber Marionette J (where the audio goes silent when Otaru yells out which of the three girls he wants to marry).

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby RidleyofZebes » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:11 pm

Nate (post: 1389611) wrote:That wasn't a flaw or a mistake. That's a cliche in anime, to have important lines be silenced out. See Neon Genesis Evangelion (audio goes silent when Gendo says something to Ritsuko near the end) or Saber Marionette J (where the audio goes silent when Otaru yells out which of the three girls he wants to marry).

Well, based on the other mistakes in the dub, i really don't know if I could tell either way. Not that i'm complaining. Like the old Godzilla dubs, it was so bad it was good.
~Ridley [color="Green"] ;)
[/color]
[font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]deviantART[/color][/color][/font] | [font="Arial Black"][color="Red"]My [color="Red"]YouTube[/color][/color][/font]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
~~~[color="Yellow"]AKA: DarkwaterhHealer~~~[/color]
Even when lurking, I am with you in spirit...

Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES.
RidleyofZebes

Postby Blitzkrieg1701 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:21 pm

The one of the first anime I ever saw in subtitled form was a silly little OVA called Twin Signal. It's about a super android who, for reasons never adequately explained, transforms into a precocious chibi whenever his creator's grandson sneezes. Apparently Media Blasters has put out an official English release, but I've yet to actually see it anyplace.

Technically, I guess Robot Carnival could count as one of these too, since rights problems have kept it off the English market for a looong time. Man, I'd LOVE to get my hands on a nice, official copy of that baby.
Image Image

[font="Book Antiqua"][color="Purple"]For the love of Christ controls us, having concluded this: that one died for all, therefore all died; and he that died for all, so that they who live might no longer live for themselves, but for Him who died and rose again on their behalf. II Corinthians 5:14-15[/color][/font]
Blitzkrieg1701

Location: Washington, DC (when I'm not in an alternate universe)

Postby Tancos » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:30 pm

Shonen Sarutobi Sasuke. It was the first anime movie to be commercially released in the the USA, under the title "Magic Boy." I saw it when I was little, and it made Disney movies seem tame.
Tancos

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Apr 22, 2010 4:36 pm

Blitzkrieg1701 (post: 1389651) wrote:Twin Signal...Apparently Media Blasters has put out an official English release, but I've yet to actually see it anyplace.
Bought it from a Virgin Megastore in Manhattan in 2002 ;).
TheSubtleDoctor

Return to Anime and Anime Reviews