CAA Lexicon

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

CAA Lexicon

Postby Staci » Wed Mar 03, 2004 1:46 pm

Mayhap an Anime-Term Lexicon is in order for CAA. A Lexicon is basically a FAQ but dedicated to terms instead of regular questions. Kind of like a "lingo de-coder" for those individuals newer to anime than others.

Examples:

AMV = Anime Music Video

Anime = Japanese Cartoon

Cosplay = Costume Play; Dressing up like an Anime/Video Game character

Fanfic = A story - or several - written by a fan that involves the characters from an Anime/Video Game/Manga/etc.
Member of the CAA Book Club
Staci

Postby Ashley » Wed Mar 03, 2004 2:14 pm

actually we have one ^^ It's in the FAQ under "Terms Dictionary"

http://www.christiananime.net/forums/faq.php?faq=caa_info#faq_terms

But I'd welcome some suggestions for additions to it.
Ashley

Postby Staci » Wed Mar 03, 2004 4:19 pm

Ashley wrote:actually we have one ^^ It's in the FAQ under "Terms Dictionary"

http://www.christiananime.net/forums/faq.php?faq=caa_info#faq_terms

But I'd welcome some suggestions for additions to it.

Ack! I am COMPLETELY blind sometimes. Gomen nasai! :sweat: Here are suggestions for it, then:

AMV - "Anime Music Video"]

[size=84]Baka - Japanese for "idiot". Commonly used in anime today for comical purposes.

Cosplay - "Costume Play"; Dressing up like a favorite anime/video game character.

Japanimation - See "Anime" for further details.

Manga - The Japanese version of comic books. Most anime series today are based off Manga.

OAV/OVA - Original Animation Video; Anime released onto the at-home market before being shown in the movie theaters or television stations.

Super Deformed - When the artists depicts a character in a smaller, cuter version than their regular appearance. Bigger heads, larger eyes, shorter torsoes and legs. Usually used in humorous situation or to make a situation funny.
Staci

Postby shooraijin » Wed Mar 03, 2004 7:27 pm

I've also seen them expand it as Original Animat*ed* Video ... hmm.
"you're a doctor.... and 27 years.... so...doctor + 27 years = HATORI SOHMA" - RoyalWing, when I was 27
"Al hail the forum editting Shooby! His vibes are law!" - Osaka-chan

I could still be champ, but I'd feel bad taking it away from one of the younger guys. - George Foreman
shooraijin

Postby Fsiphskilm » Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:58 pm

[quote="A
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Staci » Wed Mar 03, 2004 10:02 pm

Volt wrote:For a second there I though those were called "CHIBI" forms...

[size=84]And for a second there I thought that you can use more than one word to describe something... Yes, "chibi" is another term for "super deformed", though the latter is the more technical term. ]
Staci

Postby madphilb » Thu Mar 04, 2004 5:45 pm

Akaida wrote:
[size=84]And for a second there I thought that you can use more than one word to describe something... Yes, "chibi" is another term for "super deformed", though the latter is the more technical term. ]

Also termed as "SD," so that would be 3 different terms for the same thing.
PHIL

Member of P.I.E. -- Pictures of Inkhana for Everyone!! Join the fight!!
madphilb

Postby Fsiphskilm » Thu Mar 04, 2004 7:53 pm

Dunno about
Last edited by Fsiphskilm on Sat Jan 14, 2017 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm leaving CAA perminantly. i've wanted to do this for a long time but I've never gathered the courage to let go.
Fsiphskilm

Postby Staci » Thu Mar 04, 2004 8:24 pm

Volt wrote:Dunno about you guys but I like "chibi" better.

"Chibi" - runt, dwarf

Chibi is a noun, not an adjective, so one would not use it to constructively describe something. It is or it is not. This word useage likely stems from back when anime was an "occult following" by mainstream society. Most likely, "chibi" is often misconstrued as meaning "small" when in fact it is referring to younger and shorter people. Example: Chibi-Usagi from Sailor Moon.

Super-deformed, or SD, is the more apt terminology as it describes: exaggerated features (i.e. larger head, bigger eyes, wider mouth, smaller body). It may not sound as "cool" as Chibi (i.e. not in Japanese), but it more accurately describes the condition of the character. That is why I personally prefer it. *~_~*

Remember, both words are commonly used, so it's not a bad thing. It's just to some people (like me) that there is indeed a difference in the terms and their definitions! *smiles brightly*

Chibi Chibi-Usagi from Sailor Moon

Super-Deformed Rei from Sailor Moon
Staci

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Mar 05, 2004 8:08 am

Uh oh. There's at least one linguist already on the board. :eyebrow: Yeah, looks like your deff of chibi is right. My guess is people mixed it up with either chigai (mutilation of verb chiga(w)u - "To Differ" or with chisai ( adj meaning "small"). Anyway, it's all semantics, right? Heh heh.
Mithrandir

Postby Staci » Fri Mar 05, 2004 10:05 am

oldphilosopher wrote:Uh oh. There's at least one linguist already on the board. :eyebrow: Yeah, looks like your deff of chibi is right. My guess is people mixed it up with either chigai (mutilation of verb chiga(w)u - "To Differ" or with chisai ( adj meaning "small"). Anyway, it's all semantics, right? Heh heh.

Uh oh! *looks around for other linguists* Noooooooooooooo! *runs*

I guess I wasn't clear in my point (I tend to blather sometimes... eeehehe. :sweat:).

"Chibi" is a good term to use, but chibi itself is not the wider-scope definition.

Example: an orange.

Super-deformed is the entire orange, whereas chibi is just the meat inside. (Am I as clear as mud?) One definition contains everything, and the other is only partly right.
Staci

Postby Saint Kevin » Fri Mar 05, 2004 12:24 pm

Mmm...orange meat. Wouldn't it be flesh...?
Our lives are but a vapor, let us not let waste our time and breath on vanities, but let us spend ourselves for the Kingdom, seeking a better resurrection.

Preaching the Bad News

My Live Journal
Saint Kevin

Postby Staci » Fri Mar 05, 2004 1:18 pm

Saint Kevin wrote:Mmm...orange meat. Wouldn't it be flesh...?

I thought the flesh would be the orange peel, personally. However, this just goes to show the differences in "lingo" regionally.

Does anyone else have other terms they think should be added to the FAQ? It is, honestly, a good thing to have. A fuller Lexicon would stave off those posts of "What does *insert word here* mean?" threads. :thumb:
Staci

Postby Ashley » Mon Mar 15, 2004 8:02 pm

Updated the lexicon, finally! Thank you guys for the suggestions. :thumb:
Ashley

Return to Announcements and Feedback