CAA Radio preview!

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

CAA Radio preview! -Parts one and two are up!

Postby Link Antilles » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:45 pm

Well folks, we were able to get together the hosts for the Video Game segment last night and record a “testâ€
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Link Antilles

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:57 pm

:lol: MAGIC MISSLE!!!

This is great stuff man! Interfering your Monk XDD

:lol: Popular in Korea! Haha rock on!

Also interesting on how DDR freestyling was brought up. A lot of people usually do crowd around good DDR players at arcades.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Omega Amen » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:01 pm

It looks like we might experience Xbox360-like bandwidth shortage with Yousendit.... Please bear with us as we try to resolve this with alternative methods of distribution (like bittorrent).

Before I go to bed, I just want to ask CAA members who were able to listen to this podcast to give substantive feedback on the show on this thread for now. If you want this to get better, please tell us how.

Hope you enjoy the show, and remember that the second preview segment links will be placed on this same announcement.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:28 am

Omega Amen. I absolutely loved it. very informative!
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby Omega Amen » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:38 am

Mr. SmartyPants wrote:Omega Amen. I absolutely loved it. very informative!
You loved it?

May I ask what aspects, segments, format, etc. specifically you thought were good? Be specific, elaborate, and give an example on what you liked about it.

While I appreciate that you think this is informative, just saying informative is not enough for us to figure out what you liked about our show exactly. All of us involved really want to make this enjoyable to all of CAA, so that members look forward to the next podcast. So please do not be shy with your thoughts.

Also the discussion about FFXII thread was an attempt to make the forum members "involved" in our show. In a sense, we want the forum members to have some say and control on what gets on the podcast.

We are trying to think up of other ways to get involvement of members who are unable to be regular hosts. If you have any ideas (I say that to everyone), please post your thoughts. It is usually a better brainstorm when more brains are involved.
Find me on Steam, PlayStation Network (OmegaAmen), Backloggery, Twitter, and Twitch.tv

I am also in the Christian gaming group, Tribe of Judah in the Christian Gamers Alliance.
Omega Amen

Postby Mr. SmartyPants » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:37 pm

I liked how it was not simply one sided. While on one hand, kaemmerite was talking about how FFXII didn't have the Final Fantasy feeling to it. You were telling how it was a possible upgrade to change the battle system. As it required more thought and strategy. And it didn't get fiesty. That I really liked. Now im curious myself as to if FFXII will be a splendid game or not.
Mr. SmartyPants

Postby BigZam » Sun Apr 23, 2006 2:21 pm

wow thats what you sound like Link Antilles?! this is cool.
gone for good...
BigZam

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Apr 23, 2006 4:41 pm

I intended to offer a full commentary, but I found a problem that prevented me from listening to this in its entirity. Though I am not certain as to the cause, I do not think it is a faulty setting on my computer. Anyway, here it is: Link's voice was much louder than all of the other speakers. In fact, if I turned up the volume to the point where Omega Amen was easily audible Link's voice was at pain-inducing levels.

Is this my problem or am I not considered some aspect?
uc pseudonym

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:37 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I intended to offer a full commentary, but I found a problem that prevented me from listening to this in its entirity. Though I am not certain as to the cause, I do not think it is a faulty setting on my computer. Anyway, here it is: Link's voice was much louder than all of the other speakers. In fact, if I turned up the volume to the point where Omega Amen was easily audible Link's voice was at pain-inducing levels.

That's odd. When I edited/examined the audio and played it back, I noticed my voice was the quietest (except for the later record intro). Omega's was definitely the loudest, because, for some reason, we picked up a little of an echo on him. So, I am somewhat confused on why this would happen for you....

..unless... hmm... hey, UC, go into volume control and make sure all of the volume settings are balanced between the Right and Left speakers. The program that I used to record the Skype call put me (the Skype Conference Host) on the right side and the others on the left. If your volume control settings are balanced and I'm too loud … I’m at a lost on why that is. Nevertheless, try shifting the bar to the left a little more as the podcast is playing to see if that cures the symptom.

Edit: Fixed post. Yeah, I'm on the the right and the others are on the left.
Link Antilles

Postby Omega Amen » Sun Apr 23, 2006 5:37 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I intended to offer a full commentary, but I found a problem that prevented me from listening to this in its entirity. Though I am not certain as to the cause, I do not think it is a faulty setting on my computer. Anyway, here it is: Link's voice was much louder than all of the other speakers. In fact, if I turned up the volume to the point where Omega Amen was easily audible Link's voice was at pain-inducing levels.

That is odd. After our recording, Link and I thought the recording had my voice as the loudest voice....

I would check your balance on your speakers. Right now, Link is on the right channel, while the rest of us are on the left channel. See if your balance too much to the right.

Edit: Another thing to consider, uc pseudonym, is playing some other audio file or CD, and check to see if your balance is still correct. If it is not correct, look at sound control settings, and if the settings look okay, try checking the connections to your speakers to see if they're alright.

Omega Amen

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Apr 23, 2006 7:23 pm

All right folks, I'm uploading part two… it'll be a little while longer (hour or more, maybe less)... so, hang tight. Til’ then the show notes should be up soon. :)
Link Antilles

Postby Nate » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:07 pm

Hey Josh, you need to get a better mic, there were two or three times on the podcast I could barely hear you...I heard you just fine on Skype, but on the recording, not so much.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Link Antilles » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:25 pm

Yeah, you can hear him a little better on the original recording... but, there's a TON of background static. That may also have been from his mic.

I'm sure I have a spare mic somewhere you can have, MS.
Link Antilles

Postby mechana2015 » Sun Apr 23, 2006 9:41 pm

Well i'm suffering through the bandwidth horror to get this (30 minutes over a T1 line you have got to be kidding me XO) so I'll give a crit in a few... hours at the bottom of this post.

<future edit incoming>
Edit:

The podcast sounds excellent and balanced well on my computer. Great commentarys people and well researched sounding podcasting!

I especially enjoyed the general banter and chemistry of the show, as well as the universal coverage of issues. My main critique would be a little less talking over each other but thats an issue on every multi host radio show ever made... so bleh.. not much of an issue. Sound was pretty good, the thunderclap was actually pretty funny.

<now suffering for part two>

My Deviantart
"MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?"
mechana2015

Postby mastersquirrel » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:40 am

Ooh... Ooh... Pain. Yeah yeah, I definitely need to get another mike. My voice is all echoie.
mastersquirrel

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:03 am

Link Antilles wrote:That's odd. When I edited/examined the audio and played it back, I noticed my voice was the quietest (except for the later record intro). Omega's was definitely the loudest, because, for some reason, we picked up a little of an echo on him. So, I am somewhat confused on why this would happen for you....

..unless... hmm... hey, UC, go into volume control and make sure all of the volume settings are balanced between the Right and Left speakers. The program that I used to record the Skype call put me (the Skype Conference Host) on the right side and the others on the left. If your volume control settings are balanced and I'm too loud … I’m at a lost on why that is. Nevertheless, try shifting the bar to the left a little more as the podcast is playing to see if that cures the symptom.

Edit: Fixed post. Yeah, I'm on the the right and the others are on the left.

Omega Amen wrote:That is odd. After our recording, Link and I thought the recording had my voice as the loudest voice....

I would check your balance on your speakers. Right now, Link is on the right channel, while the rest of us are on the left channel. See if your balance too much to the right.

Edit: Another thing to consider, uc pseudonym, is playing some other audio file or CD, and check to see if your balance is still correct. If it is not correct, look at sound control settings, and if the settings look okay, try checking the connections to your speakers to see if they're alright.

The volume control was balanced; I did check that. However, there is another potential source of the problem: not only was I using headphones, they were headphones I found on the floor. I'll get a decent headset and see if that corrects the problem.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sam*ron » Mon Apr 24, 2006 8:52 am

nice Job Omega, you suprised me. The way you talk and laugh on there, is nothin the way you act on here. :) You did very well though, you seeemed to know a whole bunch! ^^ Im glad I gotta hear you! ^_^ *Hug*

Kae and Squirlly, nice work guys. :D
Thank you Admins & Mods - @)}~`,~
Sam*ron

Postby Omega Amen » Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:47 pm

Sam*ron wrote:nice Job Omega, you suprised me. The way you talk and laugh on there, is nothin the way you act on here. :)
Now, wait a minute. Video games are supposed to be about fun and entertainment. Of course, I am going to laugh and be relaxed. I am talking about a fun subject. As for the way I talk, I have written on the forums and to other people that the way I talk and write are usually very different. The major difference is being able to hear the tone of my voice, which can express clearly and subtly the point I am making. This has an effect on my diction and choice of content.
Sam*ron wrote:You did very well though, you seeemed to know a whole bunch! ^^
I don't know if I know a bunch, but I do try to come up with several comments and questions for conversation.
Sam*ron wrote:Im glad I gotta hear you! ^_^ *Hug*
*is hugged.*

Oh, Link, I noticed that in second preview segment, all our voices seemed to experience distortion, which was not present in our first preview segment. I did not hear that on my end in Skype during recording. On your end of the Skype conversation, Link, did all of our voices sound distorted? Or was this an effect on editing the recording?

Having listened to both preview segments, I have my own critique and suggestions that I will PM to the current video game podcast team. These mainly have to do with pre-recording logistics.

Please keep the feedback coming! Spread the word! The more, the better. From what I see so far, people like: well-balanced discussion, breadth of topics and comments, and friendly/casual atmosphere. As for improvement suggestions, mechana2015 suggested we try to refrain from talking over each other. I would too, mechana2015, but it is extremely hard sometimes because: 1.) we are a little unfamiliar with each other vocally right now, 2.) we cannot see each other, meaning we do not have visual cues on refraining/starting to speak.

Also, consider suggestions on time and format. Is the time length suitable? Would you like different types of sections other than news and thread discussions? Feel free to be creative.

Omega Amen

Postby Tarnish » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:20 pm

I've only heard the first preview (I'm listening to the second one now), but I have to say you did a good job. My only complaint so far is that I sometimes have a problem knowing who's talking...but that's the problem with radio, I suppose.
Good work!
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby Omega Amen » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:41 pm

Orenji wrote:My only complaint so far is that I sometimes have a problem knowing who's talking...but that's the problem with radio, I suppose.
Well, I have been receiving that comment the most, personally. At the beginning of the show, would making each person introduce themself help? (That way, voice and name can be associated.)

Omega Amen

Postby Tarnish » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:12 pm

Omega Amen wrote:At the beginning of the show, would making each person introduce themself help? (That way, voice and name can be associated.)

That's a good idea, it usually helps in other programs of this kind.
i draw things

Ponies are for ages six and under.
Tarnish

Postby TurkishMonky » Wed Apr 26, 2006 10:03 am

i listened to it, and loved it. Commments:

I figured out pretty quickly who was who (comes from listening to the show us your accent thread too much, methinks) but introductions would be helpful!

the stereo effect was amazing. i loved how it seperated out the different sides of the conversation.

Interesting news, great personalities.

you need theme song words :P !!

hmm, what else...
i dunno. good joerb!
TurkishMonky

Postby rocklobster » Wed Apr 26, 2006 11:36 am

Not bad so far. Now test your anime show idea. I'll be waiting to listen to the real thing!
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Lehn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:23 pm

I personally wouldn't mind having a member of the fairer sex in on this, if you could possibly blackmail one... Just because sometimes us girls see things differently then you guys.

Other then that, really good job. I personally thought that ya'll have fantastic voices for this ;)
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby Omega Amen » Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:31 pm

Lehn wrote:I personally wouldn't mind having a member of the fairer sex in on this, if you could possibly blackmail one... Just because sometimes us girls see things differently then you guys.
I actually would love to have a girl on the show for exactly that reason. However, only Link knows how many girls actually applied for host positions.

*shrugs his shoulders.*
[quote="Lehn"]Other then that, really good job. I personally thought that ya'll have fantastic voices for this ]Thank you. We will try our best to make our first official podcast even better, hopefully with more interaction with other forum members in some form.

Omega Amen

Postby Link Antilles » Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:05 pm

Weeellllll, it's really not much of a secret that I didn't receive an actual application from a female member. Soooo… Lehn, if you can dig up some dirt on someone, I'll handle the rest and get them on the show. :thumb: ;)

Anyways, thanks for all the feedback everyone and I'm glad to hear ya'll are really enjoying it.
Link Antilles

Postby Lehn » Fri Apr 28, 2006 10:13 pm

Ahahaaa... I would audition, I swear, because I did broadcasting/forensics/drama in high school, but I'm working as a summer camp counselor, and there's no way I could get near a PC from May-Aug. But I'll keep my ears open for a girl who can keep you guys in line ;)
“Have courage for the great sorrows of life and patience for the small ones; and when you have laboriously accomplished your daily task, go to sleep in peace. God is awake.â€
Lehn

Postby GrubbTheFragger » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:03 pm

if i had a mic i would really want to do this. Great Job guys
Follow and suggest movies.

Lightscameracritics.wordpress.com

Now running the 15 days of halloween.
GrubbTheFragger

Postby rocklobster » Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:52 am

So when are you going to actually start broadcasting?
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kale » Mon May 01, 2006 8:18 pm

Are you guys still taking Auditions?

You guys seriously need a Canadian accent on there, ya heeah?
Yes. I know.
Kale

Next

Return to Announcements and Feedback