CAA Manga Reviews Database goes Live Beta!

Get the scoop on the changes happening here at CAA. You may also suggest changes or additions to the site and provide feedback about the board.

CAA Manga Reviews Database goes Live Beta!

Postby Mithrandir » Fri May 27, 2005 9:26 pm

OK. You guys asked for it. Here's your manga reviews database:

http://www.christiananime.net/manga_reviews.php

Try not to break it, OK? Please bear in mind that no one has posted any reviews yet, so it's bare (read: empty). Go ahead and review stuff, if you want, but there aren't any live reviews as of 9:30 PM 5/27/2005 - PST.

- Mith

PS: The L/F is stolen entirely from the ARDB, so if it looks similar, wah!
Mithrandir

Postby Ashley » Fri May 27, 2005 11:03 pm

BTW guys, I will be the primary review manager. We're so excited to give this to you guys!
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Fri May 27, 2005 11:12 pm

So that means we submit reviews to you, similar to how Gypsy runs the anime?
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Fri May 27, 2005 11:24 pm

<Mith gags Ash, who (in his rush to have someone test the system) was never really told how the system works>

Hi there,
Mith here. When you click on the link ( http://www.christiananime.net/manga_reviews.php ) you'll be take to the "live" area. You'll see any and all reviews that have been submitted by (or approved by) a mod or admin. If you add a review there, it will be placed in the staging area until such a time as it is approved by a mod/admin. Once approved, the review will be coppied to the "live" area.

As always, let me (mith) know if you find bugs, or whatever.
Ashley

Postby Mithrandir » Sat May 28, 2005 8:34 am

OK. Let's re-read ash's post. I don't think I ever showed her how the system works, so I re-wrote her post to explain it better.

mith
Mithrandir

Postby Mave » Sat May 28, 2005 9:21 am

Ooooh cool!

*raise hand*

Is it OK to post reviews of unlicensed manga in the U.S. or do you guys prefer licensed titles?
Mave

Postby AngelSakura » Sat May 28, 2005 11:16 am

*is already reviewing the first series of Trigun at the speed of sound*
Think happy thoughts.
AngelSakura

Postby Ashley » Sat May 28, 2005 2:16 pm

Is it OK to post reviews of unlicensed manga in the U.S. or do you guys prefer licensed titles?

No, that's ok. Just note it in your review under "volumes" section.

Also, if you REALLY want to help me out, I would love it if you could link me to a review site or a very well done fansite so that I can verify the information posted. It's not necessary, but it would really, really help me out a lot. ^^

My apologies to anyone who misread my post the first time--I never thought I'd say this, but thanks for putting words in my mouth Mith :lol:
Ashley

Postby Alice » Sat May 28, 2005 5:08 pm

Hi -- I wrote two manga reviews recently. Is it possible they could be modified and moved to the manga review area?

http://66.92.1.159/showthread.php?t=20533 (post #6 is my review)

http://66.92.1.159/showthread.php?t=20801
Alice

Postby Ashley » Sat May 28, 2005 9:31 pm

Alice--

Normally I would PM you but I need to make a point. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not picking on you.

I think it would be better if you could re-write these. They were good for the purpose, but our database form is a little more detailed than that; and being as I have not read these, I cannot fill in any of the gaps for you. I plan on posting some Review Writing 101 later this evening, but suffice it to say they have to be a little mroe detailed than that (and plus, they have to have a rating that you give them in the form). So I'm sorry, but you have to re-enter them yourself.
Ashley

A serious question

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 28, 2005 10:10 pm

For once something serious. Is this going to be like the anime reviews where you want the entire series done, or can we do something that is currently ongoing?
Arnobius

Postby Ashley » Sat May 28, 2005 10:13 pm

This is a bit tricky, but for the most part I will want entire series. However, I realize that a lot of them (especially the popular ones) are ongoing. So what I will allow is this. IF you specify that your review is unfinished and IF you will come back to update it as volumes allow, then I will allow it to be entered.

EDIT: SEE POST BELOW
Ashley

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 28, 2005 10:18 pm

Ashley wrote:This is a bit tricky, but for the most part I will want entire series. However, I realize that a lot of them (especially the popular ones) are ongoing. So what I will allow is this. IF you specify that your review is unfinished and IF you will come back to update it as volumes allow, then I will allow it to be entered.

Thanks for the clarification. Maybe I'll do Excel Saga once the next volume comes out, since the stupid thing is on hiatus after that...
Arnobius

Postby Alice » Sun May 29, 2005 12:08 am

Ashley wrote:Alice--

Normally I would PM you but I need to make a point. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not picking on you.

I think it would be better if you could re-write these. They were good for the purpose, but our database form is a little more detailed than that]
That's okay! I just wanted to know how to do it. I want to be involved, if possible. ^-^

This is a bit tricky, but for the most part I will want entire series. However, I realize that a lot of them (especially the popular ones) are ongoing. So what I will allow is this. IF you specify that your review is unfinished and IF you will come back to update it as volumes allow, then I will allow it to be entered.

So this means I shouldn't give reviews of things I've only read the first volume of, unless I plan to read the rest?
Alice

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun May 29, 2005 12:25 am

Alice wrote:So this means I shouldn't give reviews of things I've only read the first volume of, unless I plan to read the rest?

Definitely not. I would suggest reviewing only series you are familiar with. We'll accept reviews of ongoing series that are quite lengthy (for example, Naruto has well over 200 chapters), because by that point a review can likely list most of the important things. But series that you have read extremely little of or are just beginning can't be properly reviewed.
uc pseudonym

Postby Alice » Sun May 29, 2005 10:10 am

:sniffles:

Well I thought I could be involved but i guess not. I haven't read all of any series. Nor do I plan to in the near future. : (

But, I may still continue to write reviews of what I have read and just post them in the Manga area -- if no one else has stuff written about it. : )

I'll be glad when you have lots of manga reviews up. There are many titles I want to know more about. Good luck! :thumb:
Alice

Postby HisaishiFan » Sun May 29, 2005 5:45 pm

Yay, hooray. Thanks Mithrandir. This is going to be great!
But even if we don't feel at ease, God is greater than our feelings and He knows everything. 1 John 3:20 :angel:

Delight in utter trust.
HisaishiFan

Location: Kentucky (formerly I would have said to think rain, but now you should think sweltering heat . . . a

Postby Ashley » Sun May 29, 2005 8:08 pm

ON INCOMPLETE SERIES

Ok, after some experience with some pending reviews...I have decided to edit these rules a bit. Incomplete series will still be allowed, but only in the following circumstances:

1. That the series is near completion. For example, writing a review for volumes 1-3 of 4, that would be ok. Because I can just pm you to write up a finishing review if necessary. However anything that is several volumes away from completion will be too complicated to keep up with, so they can just wait. You can PM me, though, and I will put you down and the pending reviewer--meaning when the series nears completion, you will have first dibs on that review.

2. It is a series in HIGH demand and is long running--like Fruits Basket, or Naruto. Those I could possibly let slide, because since they are so popular people will want to know all about them.

Other than that, I won't accept incomplete or partial reviews. Too much hassle to keep up with it.
Ashley

Postby Mr_Anderson » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:11 am

when i click on the "reviews" button on the top, i only get anime reviews. is that gonna be changed cause sum people might get the mangas and animes mixed up.
Shatterheart wrote:Sarcasm is like a butt...everyone has some...and some need to be kicked.
Mr_Anderson

Postby Ashley » Wed Jun 01, 2005 9:06 am

Yes, we're aware of that and we're working on addind a different link for the manga reviews. ^^;; For now, you can click on the link on the first post of this thread, or you can just insert manga_ in front of the reviews.php
Ashley

Return to Announcements and Feedback