The Imitation Of Christ

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Imitation Of Christ

Postby panegryst » Tue Jul 13, 2004 4:34 pm

'The Imitation Of Christ' by Thomas a Kempis is perhaps the finest (and best-known) guide to Christian living ever written. It is written in simple, effective prose and is emotionally moving without being sappy or syrupy. Quotes from Scripture are used extensively throughout the book, reinforcing Kempis' exhortations to greater love for Christ.

Believe [the Enemy] not, nor regard him, although he often sets snares of deciet. Charge him with it when he suggests evil and unclean thoughts. Say to him, "Away you unclean spirit" (Matt. 16:23)! ... Most unclean are you who bring such things to my ears. Begone from me, you wicked Seducer! You shall have no part in me, but Jesus shall be with me as a strong Warrior, and you shall stand confounded. I had rather die, and undergo any torment, than consent to you. Hold your peace and be dumb; I will hear you no more,though you work me many troubles. "The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear?" (Ps. 27:1)

-from 'The Imitation Of Christ'
"Reason is the Devil's harlot."
-Martin Luther

I'll stand for nothing less
Or never stand again
-Chevelle, 'The Clincher'

Image Image
panegryst

Postby CDLviking » Fri Jul 16, 2004 12:20 am

Imitation of Christ is the 2nd most read book in history following the Bible. It's very good reading, and not at all difficult to follow.
CDLviking

Postby martinloyola » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:55 pm

hey CDL!!, thats a book that really helps me stay focussed, i got it years ago and besides the bible i cant think of anything that has affected me as much spiritually as that book, sometimes its a real kick in the pants, a wakeup call if you will about what being a follower of Christ REALLY is about....Christ!!! (lol go figure, but i need reminding, Lord have mercy ;)
Vash: In the end...he just couldn't kill a man in cold blood. His daughter's murder goes unpunished. Call him weak, but...it saved both of us.

want to tell your fantasy or science fiction story and need help, try here :cool:

Headbangers United :rock:
martinloyola

Return to Book Corner