Ted Dekker, Anyone?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Ted Dekker, Anyone?

Postby Mangafanatic » Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:24 pm

Recently my sister brought home a book she found while browsing a book store. The book was names "Thr3e" and it was by Ted Dekker. We are now OBSESSED!!!! I read two of his books which are roughly 400 pages in one wekkend. Are there any other Dekker fans amond us?
Mangafanatic

Postby Vampi » Fri Mar 26, 2004 8:09 am

You aren't the only fan here.
Vampi

Postby Mangafanatic » Fri Mar 26, 2004 7:24 pm

that's good to know. What Dekker books have you read?
Mangafanatic

Postby Vampi » Tue Mar 30, 2004 6:43 am

Blink
Vampi

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:36 am

That was a good one. But the best Dekker book ever is Thr3e. You really aught to read that one.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Yeito » Sun May 30, 2004 7:54 pm

**GASP** I LOVE Ted Dekker! xD
Awesomeness!
I've only read THR3E, but I just bought BLACK. I'm about to read it.. ::nod::
*-* I didn't think.. I would ever meet someone else.. who liked Ted Dekker!
xD;; Happiness!

Yeito :lol: ;) :sweat:
Yeito

Postby LaChica07 » Tue Jun 01, 2004 9:56 pm

I've read a good bit of his books, they're really good. I don't think I've read Thr3e, whats it about? I think I may have read about it but I can't remember...:c) Have you read the Heaven series? ( don't know if thats what it is called) one of the books is called Thunder of Heaven and one called Heaven Weeps and I can't remember the other one...they're really good :c)
LaChica07

Postby Anime-Emperor » Mon Jun 14, 2004 2:20 pm

I also think Ted Dekker is one of the best authors out there. I've read "Thunder of Heaven", "Blessed Child" (which was co-authored by Bill Bright), "A Man Called Blessed" (the sequel to Blessed Child), and am currently reading "Heavens Wager" the third of the Heaven books.
Anime-Emperor

Postby starstoryteller » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:15 pm

I read "A Man called Blessed" that was a cool novel.
:comp: "Foul Beast"

Jesus is the Lord of the Kings

I love hypper people :hug:

"...art can teach without at all ceasing to be art."

"Love may forgive all infirmities and love still in spite of them: but Love cannot cease to will their removal."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."

the words of C.S. Lewis "Jack"
starstoryteller

Postby glitch1501 » Mon Jun 14, 2004 6:27 pm

i have thr3e, i got it for christmas, but havent gotten to read it yet, my mom did she said it was good, a different approach

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Master Kenzo » Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:59 pm

I really enjoyed Thr3e...but I kinda didn't like the ending...but that's just me. I loved Blink though.
I'm back to make a post or two every couple years...
Master Kenzo

Postby Mangafanatic » Tue Jun 22, 2004 10:48 am

Yeah, thr3e is AWESOME!! To answer the "what's it about question-- Well, it's about this guy named Kevin who's in Seminary. He's pretty much just an average guy minding his own business, just trying to stay out of everyone else's way when he's called up by this psycho-killer who begins threatening to blow things up if Kevin doesn't "confess." Problem is-- Kevin has no idea what he's talking about.

It's really awesome. While the above is a very bluint plot synopsis-- the book really deals with right and wrong. It's a totally new twist on an ancient topic. You must read it.
Every year in Uganda, innumerable children simply. . . disappear. These children all stolen under the cover of darkness from their homes and impressed into the guerilla armies of the LRA [Lord's Resistance Army]. In the deserts of Uganda, they are forced to witness the mindless slaughter of other children until they themselves can do nothing but kill. Kill. These children, generally ranging from ages 5-12, are brainwashed into murdering in the name of the resistance and into stealing other children from their beds to suffer the same fate.

Because of this genocide of innocence, hundred and hundreds of children live every night sleeping in public places miles from their homes, because they know that if the do not-- they will disappear. They will become just another number in this genocide to which the international community has chosen to turn a blind eye. They will become, in affect, invisible-- Invisible Children.

But there are those who are trying to fight against this slaughter of Uganda's children. They fight to protect these "invisible children." Please, help them help a country full of children who know nothing by fear. Help save the innocence. For more information concerning how you can help and how you can get an incredible video about this horrific reality, visit the Invisible Children home page.
Mangafanatic

Postby Ssjjvash » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:48 pm

Mangafanatic wrote:Recently my sister brought home a book she found while browsing a book store. The book was names "Thr3e" and it was by Ted Dekker. We are now OBSESSED!!!! I read two of his books which are roughly 400 pages in one wekkend. Are there any other Dekker fans amond us?

I got Three for C-mas last year and I could NOT put it down!!!!!!! It is up there on my favorites list, maybe even the first. :thumbsup: I recently read Thunder of Heaven, which held little similarity to Three in the end only. That was an outstanding book too.

I really want to get his new series out Black and Red. The third one isn't out yet. :drool:
he's got a website too, but I can't remember it. Piece of cake to locate on search though.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby Icarus » Sat Aug 28, 2004 1:52 pm

I read Blink one night last week. I haven't bought Thr3e yet, but it is only a matter of time.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby insanewitapen » Thu Apr 28, 2005 5:03 pm

THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E!THR3E! AHHHHHHHHHH~~~! *faints*
*** thats the BEST BOOK I"VE EVER READ! I love the Slater personality! Decker doesnt hold back! XDD must read..the..new series.. *twitch*
[color="LemonChiffon"]Perfect World International
Llux-Sanctuary[/color]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[color="LemonChiffon"]My DeviantArt[/color]
insanewitapen

Postby Alice » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:50 pm

Icarus wrote:I read Blink one night last week. I haven't bought Thr3e yet, but it is only a matter of time.

I read Blink, too. It was kinda hard at the beginning. I ended up skimming a lot near the end, but I still enjoyed the story. I definitely wouldn't recommend it for anyone who's young or very sensitive, tho. (I ended up crying a lot near the beginning. Not sorry I read it, but, it was hard at first.)

I haven't been able to read any other of his books yets (for some reason, they always seem to be checked out when I get to the library).

It must have influenced me, tho, because I'm writing a story which vaguely reminds me of parts of it.

:)

:dance:
Alice

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:47 am

There's a girl a grade beneath me at my school who I know who was reading Thr3e one day. Being the avid (or rabid xD) fan of Ted Dekker that I am after reading his Circle trilogy, I quickly noticed and asked if she would be so kind as to let me borrow it after she finished with it. She said she would after the book report she was reading the book for was due (May 6) so I am REALLY happy that I'll be reading it soon :grin:
Indigo_Eyes

Postby That Dude » Tue May 03, 2005 8:16 pm

Ted Dekker is my tie for fav author...I've read the Circle Trilogy, Thr33, When Heaven Weeps, Blink, Thunder Of Heaven, Heavens Wager,A Man Called Blessed...I think that's all of them that I've read...I can't remember though.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Icarus » Tue May 03, 2005 10:15 pm

The Circle trilogy... What can I say but swing?
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Namelessknight » Sun May 08, 2005 5:55 am

Haven't read any of his stuff yet, but my sister has and really enjoyed it, so I suspect I will sucked in soon enough...
His Strength was as the Strength of Ten, for His Heart was Pure

My blog=[url=elfenknight.blogspot.com]Knightly Ruminations[/url]
Namelessknight

Postby Kawaiikneko » Sun May 08, 2005 11:19 am

My mom really likes him and has been telling me to read him for awhile... >.> I'm very lazy about reading lately. Once I start though I can't stop.
Kawaiikneko

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Thu May 12, 2005 4:59 pm

I finished Thr3e today, and it was SO AWESOME!!!! I love that book to death!!! What a great psychological thriller, I finally finished it in 3rd period today, which is kind of ironic. This only makes me want to read the rest of his books :grin:
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Hephzibah » Thu May 12, 2005 5:04 pm

I just got out "Thunder of Heaven" from the library. Haven't started reading it yet, but I will very soon! :grin:
Hephzibah

weirdness in a dream

Postby Alice » Thu May 12, 2005 8:14 pm

This is probably going to sound weird, but...

A few nights ago, I dreamed I was at a strange library, and I saw a copy of Three by Ted Dekker for sale. I was very happy because now I would get to read it cheaply. (Books were selling for about a dollar or fifty cents.) But as I started looking through it, I saw some of the pages were out of order, and there were extra pages, torn out of another book and added in the back -- pages of poetry.

The book itself was a very old, small paperback that looked like it had been published in the 1970s. I was trying to figure all this out when I saw a note nearby.

A nun had accidentally left the book, it said, when she was bringing in donated books for the book sale. It was very important to her, and contained some of her favorite pages of poetry as well, and anyone who knew her should contact her and let her know the library was saving her book for her! (Apparently they didn't know how to contact her. In the dream it made sense.)

I was disappointed I couldn't buy it. But the nun sounded like an interesting lady. I couldn't begrudge her her book. (Nuns don't own very many possessions, right?)

Anyway, it turned out the strange library had copies of the book anyway, much newer copies. Actually, they looked like those oversized proof copies. And they had very lush, fantasy-type art on their covers.

Except there were three books named Three! (Naturally, it was a three parter.) I finally found the first one, and borrowed it.

I guess this just goes to show that some people have weird dreams. I must have been unconsciously wondering about the book and when I'd get to read it. I actually know nothing about its plot, so my mind made all that up about what it looked like, etc. I don't know where the nun came from.
:)
Alice

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:33 am

Alice, you could write a short story about that! It would be a great read if done right.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Michael » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:41 am

Thr3e was an OK book, its ending was kinda cliched though. It seemed like a milder version of a Dean Koontz thriller. But don't get me wrong, I did enjoy it.
[font="Times New Roman"][SIZE="4"]S.D.G.[/SIZE][/font]
Michael

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:44 am

Cliched? I've never read a book with an ending like it and I've read a lot of books. Can you put the similarities you found in spoilers possibly? Thanks!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Archan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:31 am

I actually own BLACK, but I can't get into it, I've tried, but, I donno, I just can't envelop myself into the book as I usually can with others. Maybe it's all the work I'm doing, perhaps when things calm down a tad.

Anyone read BLACK? Anything good to say, bad?
God Bless,
Archan
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:50 am

I'm reading Black at the moment but I'm only on page six (lol). So not far into it. I really enjoyed Thr3e and think Ted Dekker is an excellent writer but his beginning first few pages aren't the strongest or very exciting. From page six in Thr3e it was hard to put down and I hope the same sort of thing goes for Black. I think it depends on your tastes though too. Many people thought The Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, White) were better than Thr3e and then there were others who thought the opposite. Matter of preference.
Good to see you Archan my friend!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Archan » Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:20 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I'm reading Black at the moment but I'm only on page six (lol). So not far into it. I really enjoyed Thr3e and think Ted Dekker is an excellent writer but his beginning first few pages aren't the strongest or very exciting. From page six in Thr3e it was hard to put down and I hope the same sort of thing goes for Black. I think it depends on your tastes though too. Many people thought The Circle Trilogy (Black, Red, White) were better than Thr3e and then there were others who thought the opposite. Matter of preference.
Good to see you Archan my friend!

Good to see ya too. did you get you daily brownie points? If not, 10 brownie points, just for being you :thumb:

I've read a little further into BLACK, way past page 6, I dunno it just seems I'm gonna have to make more of an effort to read through this one for some reason, it's my first Dekker novel too. For now though no leisure reading till Archy gets his mountain load of work done :waah!:

Stay groovey W4C!
God bless,
Archan

P.S. Aussies rock!
1 Peter 5:10 "But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto his eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you."
Archan

Location: Hold on, "Baratta Klaatu Nikto" Now Currently fighting evil, saving puppies, that sort of

Next

Return to Book Corner