The Anime Companion--A must for every otaku!

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

The Anime Companion--A must for every otaku!

Postby rocklobster » Sat May 20, 2006 4:41 am

Who else here has a copy of Gilles Poitras' The Anime Companion besides me? I think it's a book every otaku should have because it gives you all sorts of info on Japanese culture (Ok, so it's a little outdated with its examples since it references videos, not DVD.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Arnobius » Sat May 20, 2006 11:19 am

I think he made an updated version, or at least made a second volume.

My trouble with Portrias was his tendency to look at anime with rose colored glasses. In his Anime Essentials he said some things that was rather distorted, like advising parents on Tenchi Muyo, the OVA: "Warning: Some characters fight to save others."

... well that and the fact that the females were naked in most of the episodes :eyeroll:

Though in fairness he was one of the better writers out there. Though that's more an indictment of the other writers than praise of him ;)
Arnobius

Postby AnubisWerewolf » Wed Jul 12, 2006 4:15 pm

I have both versions. She has two guides out. The new one is called: The Anime Companion 2 : More What's Japanese in Japanese Animation?
"If at first you don't succeed, redefine success." -Moonbay from Zoids Chaotic Century
AnubisWerewolf

Return to Book Corner