Has anyone read any Faulkner?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Has anyone read any Faulkner?

Postby Puguni » Wed May 03, 2006 4:12 pm

I'm about to read "As I Lay Dying," and I'm intrigued. Does anyone have any comments about him?
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Puritan » Wed May 03, 2006 7:19 pm

He's not my taste. The whole stream-of-conciousness writing and the morbid plot (dragging you mother's coffin around during the summer!?) turned me off of "As I Lay Dying", although I have run into other people who like it.
"...cease not a day from this work; be killing sin or it will be killing you." - John Owen The Mortification of Sin
Puritan

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu May 04, 2006 12:52 pm

I read As I Lay Dying once.It is a bit hard to follow and not as straightforward to read as Hemingway.I perfer Hemingway.
mitsuki lover

Postby Rogie » Thu May 04, 2006 2:08 pm

I had to read parts of it in college. Didn't really like the storyline much. Too much of a downer for me.

If you're reading it for fun: Good luck.
Zar wrote:Praise God for all things awesome. Life ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But sanctify the Lord your God in your hearts: and be ready always to give an answer to every man that asketh you a reason of the hope that is in you with meekness and fear:
-- 1 Peter 3:15
Rogie

Postby Linksquest » Thu May 04, 2006 2:20 pm

Puguni wrote:I'm about to read "As I Lay Dying," and I'm intrigued. Does anyone have any comments about him?

Err... I read that book... it was monotonous... but it fit with the whole effect that I think he was trying to create in it... it was really tedious, I'm sorry to say.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Kaori » Thu May 04, 2006 9:06 pm

Out of the Faulkner novels I've read, As I Lay Dying is one of my favorites--and also one of his easier novels to read. It's true that he's very negative, but he is a genius with words, and his characterization is rather striking.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Icarus » Thu May 04, 2006 11:07 pm

All I've read by him is Barn Burning, for Rhet and Comp 2 last year. It was pretty good. The professor mentioned that there is more written about his works than any other English author.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Petite Soeur » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:24 am

I don't like his writing style. I read The Sound and the Fury after my junior English teacher lauded Faulkner with praise. I just didn't like it. His short story, "A Rose For Emily," which I read for AP English IV really freaked me out.
If you're friends don't dance, then they're no friends of mine~Safety Dance--Men Without Hats
Petite Soeur

Postby Steeltemplar » Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:09 am

I cannot recommend Faulkner's writings at all. Actually, I already posted by thoughts on As I Lay Dying on this forum awhile back. Here are the links:

http://www.christiananime.net/showpost.php?p=597365&postcount=66
http://www.christiananime.net/showpost.php?p=816095&postcount=124

I should also point out that in As I Lay Dying I found the characters to lacked humanizing elements. They seemed to be dark caricatures, none of them having anything which I found I could truly identify with. And while this is not, I suppose, an absolute requirement, I could not find any character in the novel whom I actually liked.

Of course, opinion will vary. Obviously people have their reasons for disagreeing with me, which I respect. But this is how I felt about his writing.
Headbangers United

"There is no surer sign of decay in a country than to see the rites of religion held in contempt." - Niccolo Machiavelli

"But even as Josue and Caleb declared that the Land of Promise was good and fair, and that the possession of it would be easy and pleasant; so the Holy Spirit, speaking by all the Saints, and our Blessed Lord Himself assure us that a devout life is a lovely, a pleasant, and a happy life." - from An Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales

Loyal subject of Sakura-hime, the RP Princess.
CR-chan's faithful PNC.
FF-chan's NiichanB.
Steeltemplar

Postby blue elf » Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:31 am

I've only read A Rose for Emily and Absalom, Absalom, since I had to read them for my college English classes. I started reading The Sound and the Fury, but I guess I didn't really get into it, because I never finished it. Some of his stories are a bit too hard to follow to be used as casual reading material.
blue elf

Postby Puguni » Tue Jul 11, 2006 7:57 pm

I finished reading it, and I liked it. I don't know why, but I think I've found a new fondness for dark humor.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby kaze » Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:52 am

I've read A Rose for Emily, Spotted Horses, and The Sound and the Fury. The Sound and the Fury was just about the most difficult book I've ever read. But if you have a teacher or someone who really knows the book and can explain it well, it's really very interesting. Although I got frustrated at times, I really liked it.
visit my DA and SA pages please~

deviantArt+++クリック+++
sheezyArt++クリック++

夢の中でも ふらふら する。
kaze

Return to Book Corner