Favorite/Least Favorite Book and Why

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite/Least Favorite Book and Why

Postby Tommy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:50 am

Same rules as the other ones.

Favorite: The LOTR Trilogy/ The Outsiders

Least Favorite: The Yearling
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Sai » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:46 am

Fav=The Count of Monte Cristo, Pride and Prejudice, Dracula, and HP (sorry that was alot)

Least Fav=some sort of textbook if that counts. If not, I have no idea.
"Bother"
Sai

Postby Radical Dreamer » Sat Apr 15, 2006 12:14 pm

My goodness, that's what, 15 now? XD

Anyways, favorite book...Well, I have a new one. Dragonspell. An absolutely wonderful Christian allegory, set in a fantasy world (like LOTR or Narnia). It's a great series!

Also, I love the Lord of the Rings trilogy. Return of the King is my favorite, of the three. The Giver, by Lois Lowry, is a fantastic book, too.

Least favorite is Great Expectations. Because I just hate it, that's why. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Tommy » Sat Apr 15, 2006 5:23 pm

No, 7 I think.

Consider this a "Tom Dincht Thread Series".
FKA Tom Dincht

Check out my band if you've got the time.
http://encompass1.bandcamp.com/
Tommy

Postby Puguni » Fri Apr 28, 2006 1:48 pm

I distinctly remember an extensive Least Favorite Book thread.

Meh, whatever. Piers Anthony's books don't curry much favor with me.
Puguni

Location: In a place where I can wonder why good grammar doesn't apply on the internet.

Postby Technomancer » Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:54 pm

Favourite: 'Cosmos' by Carl Sagan
This book (as well as the television series) has had a tremendous influence on me since I was very young. Better than anything else this book explains the absolute wonderment of science and its place in the human spirit.

Leasy Favourite: 'Left Behind' by Jenkins & LaHaye
I read this out of curiousity, so that I could see what all the fuss was about. I would probably be hard put find a book more poorly written than this one. Excreble prose, wooden characters, and utterly illogical behaviour (by our powers combined!) contrive to make for a truly awful excuse for a novel.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby MomoAdachi » Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:11 pm

I'll stick with just fiction, and not count book series from TV shows, etc.

Favorites:
Alice books by Lewis Carrol
Replica series by Marilyn Kaye
Princess Diaries series by Meg Cabot
All-American Girl by Meg Cabot
Are You There God? It's Me Margaret by Judy Blume
Deenie by Judy Blume
The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum
Sweet Valley High series by Francine Pascal :red:
Ella Enchanted by Gail Carson Levine
Elsie Dinsmore by Martha Finley
A Life Of Faith series
American Girls Collection, especially Kit, Felicity, Samantha, and Addy
Generation Girl series :red:
History Mysteries series

Least Favorites:
How To Eat Fried Worms by Thomas Rockwell
Maniac McGee by Myrna Peters
The Last Battle by C.S. Lewis(sorry, all you Narnia/Lewis fans!)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte
Animal Farm by George Orwell
The Bridge To Terebithia by Katherine Paterson(sp?)
Where The Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls
Mommie Dearest by Christina Crawford
Left Behind series by Tim LaHaye(no offense, any LB fans!)
Aquamarine by Alice Hoffman
Non-Christian Anti-Hentai Grrl
#1 Dubbed Sailor Moon Fan!
#1 Peach Girl Fan!

98% of the teenage population does or have tried smoking pot. If you are one of the 2% who haven't, copy or paste this in your signature.
MomoAdachi

Postby Linksquest » Fri May 19, 2006 10:52 am

Favorite: ANNE of GREEN GABLES by L.M. Montgomery (because it's such a timeless tale and a very touching and real one at that. I have so many similarities in character to Anne... it's crazy!) and THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES by Ray Bradbury (Such awesome writing and unique ideas!)

I also love the Chronicles of Narnia and The Space Trilogy by C.S. Lewis.

Other favorites include: The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger, A Series of Unfortunate Events, and Tuck Everlasting.

Least Favorite: As I lay Dying by William Faulkner (I felt like I was dying when I read it! XP)
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri May 19, 2006 1:44 pm

Linksquest wrote:Favorite: ANNE of GREEN GABLES by L.M. Montgomery (because it's such a timeless tale and a very touching and real one at that. I have so many similarities in character to Anne... it's crazy!)

Haha, I read the first book in this series and liked it quite a bit (Anne is a red-head like me! :lol: ), but I couldn't handle the rest of them (Anne of Avonlea, Anne of Windy Poplars, etc.). I haven't touched them since...XD]Other favorites include: The Giver, Gathering Blue, Messenger,
[/QUOTE]

ASDF LOVE. The Giver and Gathering Blue are two of my favorites! I have yet to read Messenger, though it's been sitting on my bookshelf for several months now. :sweat: Still have to finish DragonQuest! But yes, those books are incredible; Lois Lowry is an awesome writer. Number the Stars, another book she wrote (about WWII and the Holocaust), is also quite good.
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Linksquest » Fri May 19, 2006 3:48 pm

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]Haha, I read the first book in this series and liked it quite a bit (Anne is a red-head like me! :lol: ), but I couldn't handle the rest of them (Anne of Avonlea, Anne of Windy Poplars, etc.). I haven't touched them since...XD]

I got all the way through half of book 7: Rainbow Valley. I'm gonna start reading the series all over again to get the whole effect sometime this summer. When I read through them I really got the sensation that I was growing up with Anne. L.M. Montgomery is a very good writer. She wrote a lot of awesome poetry as well. I recently purchased The Chronicles of Avonlea, the Further Chronicles of Avonolea, and Christmas with Anne as well as a stand-alone novel by L.M. Montgomery called The Blue Castle which I thought looked preety good. I still haven't read any of them yet, hehe. *Summer reading list grows larger* :lol:

[quote="Radical Dreamer"]
ASDF LOVE. The Giver and Gathering Blue are two of my favorites! I have yet to read Messenger, though it's been sitting on my bookshelf for several months now. :sweat: Still have to finish DragonQuest! But yes, those books are incredible]

Messenger
was REALLY good. I won't spoil it for you, but I'll just say that it answers some questions and ties up some loose ends from both the Giver and Gathering Blue. I haven't read Number the Stars, but I have heard it is awesome and it's on my TO-READ list.
DO YOU FLY FOR FUN?!

I give props to these ANIMEs/MANGAs: GRAVE OF THE FIREFLIES, AZUMANGA DAIOH, MONSTER, SAILOR MOON SERIES, AKAGE NO ANNE, BOTTLE FAIRY, MY NEIGHBOR TOTORO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE, PARANOIA AGENT, YAKITATE!! JAPAN, UTAWARERUMONO, KANON, FULL MOON WO SAGASHITE, & YOTSUBA&!

LINKSQUEST's PASSIONS are: READING (especially books by authors: Lois Lowry, L.M. Montgomery, Ray Bradbury, C.S. Lewis) WRITING, SINGING, ACTING, COMPOSING, PIANO, PHOTOGRAPHY, ART, COOKING, MYST series, ZELDA series,OLD TIME RADIO , New Time Radio, SPANISH, LANGUAGES, and the list goes on.
Unlucky Secret Bump Thread Member #13

"WITH GREAT POWER COMES GREAT ENERGY BILLS!"
Linksquest

Return to Book Corner