Fairy Tales, Morbid fun for the children.

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby MasterDias » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:36 pm

AnimeHeretic wrote:Same here-- so I presume it's the stories and not the premise that leads to it.

I dont really remember if I've read the "children's" version or the "non-children's" version, but I seem to vaguely recall that the stories were really violent.

Any sadness the story (as told in the Wikipedia article) might have envoked in me would have been killed by the last sentence.

UC speaks the truth.
-----------------------------------------
"Always seek to do good to one another and to all."
1 Thessalonians 5:15

"Every story must have an ending." - Auron - Final Fantasy X

"A small stone may make a ripple at first, but someday it will be a wave." - Wiegraf - Final Fantasy Tactics
MasterDias

Postby Arnobius » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:47 pm

MasterDias wrote:I dont really remember if I've read the "children's" version or the "non-children's" version, but I seem to vaguely recall that the stories were really violent.

In some ways, Sinbad the Sailor seemed to borrow elements of the Oddessy.

Which reminds me... ever read the uncensored Greek myths? Pretty explicit stuff
Arnobius

Postby TurkishMonky » Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:29 am

greeks were messed up, as far as my opinion goes... and not just the gods, but the writers as well... i can pardon hte fary tales a lttle, because of their culture, but hte greeks? hmm...
TurkishMonky

Postby yukinon » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:37 am

I agree. I can't stand Greek mythology. The Trojan War is the only thing that interests me. The rest of it just makes me mad.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Arnobius » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:23 am

yukinon wrote:I agree. I can't stand Greek mythology. The Trojan War is the only thing that interests me. The rest of it just makes me mad.

Even that was pretty explicit with some of Achilies exploits.

Still it is interesting how some things were adapted for children when the originals were so clearly inappropriate.

As a side note, St Augustine, when debating pagans, used the explicit, debauched nature of the Greco-Roman myths to point out that if such things were true, it argued against the authority of such 'gods.'
Arnobius

Postby kazekami » Sun Nov 13, 2005 9:34 am

Yeah the Greek myths were full of immorality.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby Arnobius » Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:28 am

kazekami wrote:Yeah the Greek myths were full of immorality.

Yes, yet I had seen several "Children's Editions."

Then when I was in college, I read the Robert Graves translation of the old myths and was pretty shocked.
Arnobius

Postby Rachel » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:15 am

I used to be really into Greek mythology. I don't think I read any of the "non-children" ones, though.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Scribs » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:17 am

I do find the Greek Mythology to be quite interesting personally, despite all those immoral immortals.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Nate » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:23 am

yukinon wrote:From what I know "Ring around the Rosy" was originally about the plague, as well. They taught us that sometime in elementary school. Perhaps fifth grade.

Dun dun DUNNNNN!

Snopes.com to the rescue!

"Ring Around the Rosie" is simply a nursery rhyme of indefinite origin and no specific meaning, and someone, long after the fact, concocted an inventive "explanation" for its creation.

In other words, it has nothing to do with the plague.

http://www.snopes.com/language/literary/rosie.htm

I love this site. :D

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Arnobius » Sun Nov 13, 2005 11:23 am

Scribs wrote:I do find the Greek Mythology to be quite interesting personally, despite all those immoral immortals.

I would agree... some of the stories were well told
Arnobius

Postby yukinon » Sun Nov 13, 2005 12:49 pm

What is this snopes.com you speak of?

That's actually more interesting than what I originally thought.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby Arnobius » Sun Nov 13, 2005 1:57 pm

yukinon wrote:What is this snopes.com you speak of?

That's actually more interesting than what I originally thought.

http://www.snopes.com investigates rumors to see if they are true or false. It covers all sorts of topics and has all sorts of interesting reading.
Arnobius

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:50 pm

Interesting Snopes article, kaemmerite. That's good to know.

AnimeHeretic wrote:Still it is interesting how some things were adapted for children when the originals were so clearly inappropriate.

Of course, the same is done with many biblical stories.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:26 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Of course, the same is done with many biblical stories.

A good point, though even in the Old Testament, the writers had a greater sense of propriety than the Greeks did.
Arnobius

Postby kazekami » Sun Nov 13, 2005 8:41 pm

I admit even the king Arthur stories had immorality in them. YOu have incest and adultry.

But still I find them intresting. As I do myth and fairy tales.
Meow!

adopted by spirit-me-away and CephasVII

proud adopter of:
Azier the Swordsman, Sakura's Wings(kitty form), Sora(kingdom Hearts), Squall Leonhart(FFVIII and KH), Li Syaoran(Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles),
kurogane (Tsubasa Resevoir Chronicles) blessedsolitude, Animagus24, scarletfire818, LeaChan-4ever, teen4truth, Starfire1, Kura Ookami, 1BalloonPopper, Sheenar, Dunedan, Fantasy Dreamer, starfire, zelda, Erin

I like swords. They are nice and shiny and sharp. :jump:

I Love
^__^
( ^.^)
(\/ \/)
(,,)(,,)

T3h Neko
KITTIES WILL RULE THE UNIVERSE!!!!
kazekami

Postby righteous_slave » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:47 am

Personally, I read some of both versions. My grandma had several old books that had the more grown up versions of many fairy tales. I never thought twice about it personally, about the Big Bad Wolf getting boiled, and I vaugly remember a picture of Bluebeard and his room of dead people.

Given all the mindless violence that kids see nowadays on TV, movies, games, and in music, I think some violence with a moral and a point wouldn't hurt them any.
ImageImage
You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness. Rom. 6:18

God can do anything, anytime, anyway He wants to.......if He wants to paint me blue and hang me upside down nekkid from an apple tree, thats alright, as long as it's God doing it. Of course, if He comes through with a directive like that, I might have to ask for some I.D. Michael Wanke
righteous_slave

Postby Taka » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:27 am

AnimeHeretic wrote:A good point, though even in the Old Testament, the writers had a greater sense of propriety than the Greeks did.

True. But this has always been a pet peve of mine as well. When I studied books such as Ruth and Esther, I was amaized at how little I was really taught when I was a child. I may not tell my kids the whole gory details, but I will not tell them something totaly diffrent than the real story!
And I'll stop this pretending that I can
Somehow deserve what I already have
I need You to love me
Barlow Girl
Taka

Postby yukinon » Mon Nov 14, 2005 8:30 am

righteous_slave wrote:Given all the mindless violence that kids see nowadays on TV, movies, games, and in music, I think some violence with a moral and a point wouldn't hurt them any.

Does that mean the ends justify the means?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby TurkishMonky » Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:04 am

no, i think you have a point there. but i would agree that violence is (unfortunately) a normal part of life because of the fall, and so it should not be treated like it does not exist.
TurkishMonky

Previous

Return to Book Corner