Favorite Book

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Favorite Book

Postby Anison Twilight » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:02 am

What is your favorite book that you have read. I know it is a hard question like everything else, but I would like to know. Mine is Daughter of the Forest by Juliet Mirillier. (I don't know how to spell her name, sorry) It is the most beautiful fantasy book that I have ever read. It is the first book in a trilogy, but you could read any book in the trilogy out of order and it makes plenty of sense. The first one is by far the best one, though.
I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.
-Job 30:29
Anison Twilight

Postby Ssjjvash » Fri Feb 18, 2005 7:35 am

Ooh, that is such a tough question!

At the moment, my all-time favorite book is Thr3e by Ted Dekker.
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone
And so hold on when there is nothing left in you
Except the Will which says to them: 'Hold on!' ...you'll be a Man, my son!

Rudyard Kipling

Satan, bite the dust!Image

"You are not who your mistakes say you are; you are not the sum of your failures!"---Rev. Billy Miller

Proverbs 18:24
Ssjjvash

Postby VioletEyedCat » Sun Feb 20, 2005 7:20 pm

I'm not sure if it's my favorite- but I've read it five times and I have two copies of it: The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby GhostontheNet » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:12 am

For overall worth, The Parables of Jesus by William Barclay.
GhostontheNet

Postby Scribs » Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:31 pm

Hard to say...

My favourite authors would have ot be P.G. Wodehouse, and Micheal Chrichton, but I don't think I could pin down a particular book which is my favourite. Posibley Leave it to Psmith by Wodehouse.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Anison Twilight » Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:38 pm

I think I started the Blue Sword once, but I don't remember finishing it...
I am a brother to dragons, and a companion to owls.
-Job 30:29
Anison Twilight

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Feb 24, 2005 5:10 pm

This Present Darkness/Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti. Awesome fiction book demonstrating the potential power of prayer and believer's everyday struggles involving spiritual warfare.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Mar 12, 2005 8:45 am

My "favorite book" is usually the one I'm reading at a given point in time; currently it's Red Dragon by Thomas Harris. Although, having recently finished Stephen King's The Stand, I can say that that's definitely one of the best books I've ever read.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby JoyfulSongs » Wed Mar 16, 2005 4:25 pm

VioletEyedCat wrote:I'm not sure if it's my favorite- but I've read it five times and I have two copies of it: The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley

I'm reading that now, actually. I think I like Beauty better, though. It sucked me in.
JoyfulSongs

Postby Cedahlia » Wed Mar 16, 2005 6:06 pm

I loved The Two Princesses of Bamarre, Stargirl, and Zink...they are all so wonderful, I can't choose between them. ^^;
"Not believing is letting each other down, that's how it is."

~Lacus Clyne
Cedahlia

Postby VioletEyedCat » Wed Mar 16, 2005 7:47 pm

JoyfulSongs wrote:I'm reading that now, actually. I think I like Beauty better, though. It sucked me in.

I also own Beauty (not a surprise- I think I have everything McKinley has published :sweat: ) I love the way she retells fairytales- Beauty is absolutely wonderful. If you like Beauty, you'll love Spindle's End- a retelling of Sleeping Beauty by McKinley. Also, if you're reading The Blue Sword, you might want to read The Hero and the Crown- it's prequel. It won the Newbery Award, I think.

On a completely different note- THIS IS MY HUNDREDTH POST!!!!! :jump: :jump: :jump:

:P Smiling's not my Thing :P
VioletEyedCat

Postby Yumie » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:20 pm

At the moment, my all-time favorite book is Thr3e by Ted Dekker.

Yay! Me too! It is such an astoundingly creative and brilliant book! I know I've mentioned it in like 100 threads (obviously exaggerating), but really, it rocks!
Yumie

Postby Mr. Rogers » Wed Apr 13, 2005 7:36 pm

i always read like 6 books at a time and can never keep up XD the bible of course, a book of sermons by charles spurgeon, how now shall we live, bruchko and the 3rd book of the narnia series
Mr. Rogers

Postby JoyfullShadow » Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:31 am

I really like Crime and Punishment by Fydore Doe--------something or another and Alice in Wonderland By Lewis Carroll
Arîdkha-
A.K.A. Snicket

P.S. I learned all my dance moves from Josh & Jon :rock:
xanga- http://www.xanga.com/home.aspx?user=blackKat013

" ...there's a love that could fall down like rain, let forgiveness wash away the pain. And no one knows what they are searching for this world is crying out for so much more..."
JoyfullShadow

Postby ally-san » Wed Jun 29, 2005 4:05 pm

JoyfullShadow wrote:I really like Crime and Punishment by Fydore Doe--------something or another and Alice in Wonderland By Lewis Carroll

i love crime and punishment as well :thumb:

to name a few others. i guess dorian gray by oscar wilde and wuthering heights.
"The only consolation I find in your immediate presence is your ultimate absence."

"Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Lord I give you my heart
I give you my soul
I live for you alone
Every breathe that I take
Every moment I'm awake
Lord have your way in me..
ally-san

Postby Jasdero » Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:59 pm

I love books by Dan Brown.. Angels and Demons would have to be my favorite.
Jasdero

Postby zelda » Sat Jul 02, 2005 4:05 pm

I'm reading "The SisterHood of the Traveling Pants" right now. I think that's my fave book right now?
@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Signature, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.
zelda

Postby Lyren » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:27 pm

My favorite book would be The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R Tolkien. Hmmm, my second favorite is Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Lyren

Postby Icarus » Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:58 pm

The Ethos Effect, by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:08 am

It's so hard for me to choose favorites, maybe it would be easier if the decision was made into categories of favorite books in the different genres lol. Beauty by Robin McKinley is an awesome book (my fave in fairy tale retellings, although The Goose Girl by Shannon Hale was pretty good too), and Thr3e is a favorite psychological thriller of mine, and This Present Darkness and Peircing the Darkness, both by Frank Peretti, both are awesome books that encourage me to pray more every time I reread them, so they get kudos for that, and tons of other books are favorites of mine....

All in all, I have many favorite books (not all are mentioned here, as can be seen), but no specific favorite above all others... those type of decisions require too much thinking on my part and the question is way too hard for me to answer considering all the books I've read... *thinks back on just some of the books I've read* yep, definitely too hard for me to answer.
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

"When you see a fork in the road, take it." ~Yogi Berra
Indigo_Eyes

Postby Yeito » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:05 pm

Mine would have to be a trilogy by Francine Rivers called, "The Mark Of The Lion"

The first book is: A Voice in the Wind
Second: An Echo in the Darkness
Third: As Sure as the Dawn

I really really loved that series. I don't know why.

Some of my favorite authors (besides Francine Rivers) would have to be Ted Dekker, Tamora Pierce, Garth Nix... yah. o.o;
Yeito

Postby Hitokiri » Wed Jul 06, 2005 1:39 pm

hmmm....Kinda a no brainer here.

The Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkein, compiled by Christopher Tolkein.
Hitokiri

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Jul 08, 2005 6:26 am

[quote="Yeito"]Mine would have to be a trilogy by Francine Rivers called, "The Mark Of The Lion"

Some of my favorite authors (besides Francine Rivers) would have to be Ted Dekker, Tamora Pierce, Garth Nix... yah. o.o]

Garth Nix is good, I've read his Abhorsen trilogy. What books have you read by him? Would you recommend his Seventh Tower books( I think that's what they're called) ?
" 'Tis strange-but true; for truth is always strange, stranger than fiction." ~Lord Byron

Indigo_Eyes

Postby Jasdero » Fri Jul 08, 2005 7:11 am

Yeito wrote:Mine would have to be a trilogy by Francine Rivers called, "The Mark Of The Lion"

*gasp* I bought the box set for that trilogy a month or so ago. It was really good indeed. "Heartwarming" is what I guess one could call it.
Jasdero

Postby mastersquirrel » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:19 am

Goodness, this is hard. There are so many books I love, too many great authors...
My favorite authors thus far are Ted Dekker, Frank Peretti, Michael Chrichton, and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

If I had to choose a book as my favorite... it'd be "State of Fear" by Michael Crichton. I literally couldn't put this book down while I read it.
Followed closely by "Thr3e" by Ted Dekker.

My favorites of the other two are "Valley of Fear" by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, and "Monster" by Frank Peretti.
[SIZE="1"]"If there's one thing that I know, it's that I know more than one thing." - Master Squirrel[/SIZE]
mastersquirrel

Postby mai » Fri Jul 08, 2005 8:35 am

I think my favorite book would have to be "War and Peace" [I didn't read it but listened to it on tape] the characters just seemed so real. I hope to actually read it someday but first I have to finish "The Count of Monty Cristo" which just might steal first place...
My Website [online comic]

Do you find your self worried alot of the time about things that don't always make sense?

Are you experiencing any of these?
• Persistent feelings of sadness, irritability or anxiety
• Overreaction to irritations
• Loss of interest in activities previously enjoyed,
• Sleep too much, or sleep too little
• Unexpected loss or gain of weight
• Tiredness or restlessness
• Slowed movement, thought and/or speech
• Guilt, low self-esteem, feelings of worthlessness
• Inability to concentrate and poor memory
• Loss of motivation
• Feelings of hopelessness
• Suicidal thoughts and/or behavior
• Withdrawal from relationships, anti-social behavior
• Physical aches and pains that seem to have no other cause

If you have a few of the symptoms on this list, you may be suffering from a form of clinical depression there are many sites that offer advice and help.
mai

Postby Yeito » Fri Jul 08, 2005 10:45 am

I haven't read his Seventh Tower books yet. I really want to though. i also want to read the Keys to the Kingdom. O_o A friend of mine said they were really good.

Yes... Mark of the Lion is very heartwarming. I love the ending of the second book. I always get close to tears on that.
Yeito

Postby Indigo_Eyes » Fri Jul 08, 2005 11:35 am

Yeito wrote:I haven't read his Seventh Tower books yet. I really want to though. i also want to read the Keys to the Kingdom. O_o A friend of mine said they were really good.

Oh yah! Lol, I forgot that I've also read Mister Monday and Grim Tuesday by him, and I'm gonna borrow Drowned Wednesday from a friend after she gets it... I got my friend into the Abhorsen trilogy, and that led to her getting other books by him. I should probably buy the first Seventh Tower book sometime to see what it's like...

Indigo_Eyes

Postby sarahcarter06 » Thu Jul 28, 2005 10:57 pm

I'm not sure!! As a series, I really like Harry Potter, but as an individual book, probably The Sight or Firebringer by David Clement-Davies...!
sarahcarter06

Postby the_lizardqueen » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:46 am

I really loved Julie Bertagna's Exodus, it's a pity very few people have heard of it. Other than that, I have to list The Hobbit and the Silmarillion (although Lost Tales had moments of brilliance..) and Watership Down, aaaand...

Ack! How could I nearly forget? :forehead:

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy!
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Next

Return to Book Corner