What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby gungrave » Wed Nov 09, 2005 11:06 am

Im reading the first book out of the 'Dragons In Our Mydst' Seris that I dont know who the author is but you can get it at a Christian book store...I think.
You find that you have a weapon, an instrument that
will give you power over the wind and sea.
In one word, you can stop time. It is a weapon
so powerful that even God will bow
down to you and all his angels fall at your feet.
What would you do with it?

Adopted: Jack Bond
Adopted: Mega
Adopted By: Black Rose Misao
Adopted By: GrubbTheFragger

then I will be all over those games like white on a paper plate with a styrofoam cup filled with milk in the north pole during a snow storm ---iscryed4u which is my AIM screen name so, I said it XD
Felix wrote:And gungrave, XD I am sure you look quite the man-beast in a suit.

\m/ >,< \m/<-----if u listen to anti hip-hop music Aka metal or just hard rock put this in ur profile and represent

JonathOn !!El perro esta en fuego!!
C.R.A.P. leader
:thumb:
---GamerTag: HxS L3TH4L
gungrave

Postby Maledicte » Wed Nov 09, 2005 12:51 pm

Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini. (see signature below hint hint) It's the first line of the book.

I bought it on a whim the other day, one of those Barnes and Noble Classics series. I'm really enjoying it! I busted through 5 chapters in one day, which is rare for me now with my workload. Good old revenge quest set in revolutionary France.

And it's illustrated. With comic-book illustrations. Mwaaaaaaah.

I want that person's job.
Maledicte

Postby TurkishMonky » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:21 pm

oh yeah! 1984 library-bound copy of "Programmer's guide to the galaxy." Best little kids programming book ever, and i got it for 4.50, with only minor wear! (well, half the book's BASICA code, but it still counts as reading, right?)
TurkishMonky

Postby Kaori » Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:16 pm

The Merchant of Venice. A high-quality play even for Shakespeare.

After reading a bit more of Uncle Tom's Cabin, I've revised my assesment of it somewhat; despite her sentimentalism (which irritates me) and comparatively shallow characterization, Stowe is a fairly good prose stylist. I still feel that there are other slave narratives that are superior to this one, however.

I have also been reading excerpts from various American writers, but nothing particularly noteworthy.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Scribs » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:38 am

Pigs have wings by P.G. Wodehouse.

this is the first pleasure reading I have done in months.
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:45 am

Last of the Mohicans by Cooper and Mythology a reference book of Greek, Roman, Norse, and minor myths summerized and analysed by Edith Hamilton.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Nov 11, 2005 12:44 pm

Lemony Snicket: The Unathorized Autobiography and Bram Stoker's Dracula.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby Rachel » Fri Nov 11, 2005 4:53 pm

The Battle of Evernight by Cecilia Dart-Thornton.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby CrossMovement » Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:04 pm

Well from secular I havent read anything in a while other than Lemony Snicket's A series of unfortunate events.Some book called The book of three(I forgot the author)and I forgot the author on this one too but it was called Shogun.

What I've read recently.

He Came To Set The Captives Free By Rebecca Brown
Prepare For War By Rebecca Brown
A Divine Revelation of Hell by Mary K. Baxter

These books are good and I want to read Purpose Driven Life and A Divine revelation of Heaven.
[font=Tahoma]98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.[/font]

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...

And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. [color=Red]But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
-Matthew: 24: 6-13[/color]
CrossMovement

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:49 am

I believe Shogun is written by James Calwell. Though I found some aspects of it interesting, I have never enjoyed it enough to read it in its entirity.
uc pseudonym

Postby Scribs » Sat Nov 12, 2005 11:52 am

I am digging through some books on Hybrid cars for a report. :(
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby CrossMovement » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:36 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I believe Shogun is written by James Calwell. Though I found some aspects of it interesting, I have never enjoyed it enough to read it in its entirity.

YEA! That was his name..thanks your a lifesaver.I recommend reading Man of Valor by Richard Exlev,Im readin it now and it brings up good spiritual points.Im also gonna start reading Emails From God for Teens.I forgot the author of that aswell.
[font=Tahoma]98% of the teenage population does or has tried smoking pot. If you're one of the 2% who hasn't, copy & paste this in your signature.[/font]

(\_/)
(O.o) Copy The Bunny Into Your Sig
(> <) Help Him Achieve World Domination...

And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars. See that you are not troubled; for all these things must come to pass, but the end is not yet. For nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. And there will be famines, pestilences, and earthquakes in various places. All these are the beginning of sorrows. Then they will deliver you up to tribulation and kill you, and you will be hated by all nations for My name's sake. And then many will be offended, will betray one another, and will hate one another. Then many false prophets will rise up and deceive many. And because lawlessness will abound, the love of many will grow cold. [color=Red]But he who endures to the end shall be saved.
-Matthew: 24: 6-13[/color]
CrossMovement

Postby Kaori » Sun Nov 13, 2005 6:48 pm

CrossMovement wrote:Some book called The book of three(I forgot the author)

That would be Lloyd Alexander, probably]The Book of Three[/I] is from the Prydain Chronicles, which also contains (more famously) The Black Cauldron.

I have been reading some of Emily Dickenson's poetry and Rebecca Harding Davis's Life in the Iron Mills, a novella. The latter is a fascinating and well-written account of a particular segment of the 19th-century working class; oddly enough, the author doesn't seem to have written much else of note.

For a paper assignment, I will be skimming several books about Spenser's Faerie Queene, as well as reviewing book 1 of the text itself.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:33 pm

Roots by Alex Haley.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:54 am

I am rereading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, this time for a class, and enjoying it more on the second reading.

Also, I have begun Return of the King at long last. Likely I will swiftly finish Book V and then slow down once more for Book VI.
uc pseudonym

Postby Sparrowhawk » Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:01 pm

Hope you enjoy reading Return of the King , it differs a good bit from the movie.

Well, i still have not finished Mythology or Last of the Mohicans, but in class we just finished the Greek tragedy Antigone. I thought it was good. Me and a classmate got into a serious debate about Antigone and her attitude. *smiles in rememberance* i really do enjoy debating too much *still smiles but also shakes head at own ridiculousness*
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:23 pm

The Greeks had several anti-war dramas like Antigone most notably Euripides'
The Trojan Women.The point that the playwrites tried to get across to their
countrymen was that war is bad and the innocent,especially women and children
suffer.
mitsuki lover

Postby Technomancer » Wed Nov 16, 2005 11:39 am

At the moment I'm reading "Acqua Alta" by Donna Leon. After that I want to finish "Cybernetics" by Norbert Wiener as well as "The Song of Roland"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 16, 2005 3:20 pm

I've read the Song of Roland.It's the great epic of France.
mitsuki lover

Postby Scribs » Wed Nov 16, 2005 7:23 pm

Today I picked up a biography of P.G. Wodehouse. I put it back on the shelf though. I sadly have not much spare time as of late. (why i am still on CAA this much still illudes me)
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:04 am

I have started Heretics of Dune on the promise that it is a significant improvement from the previous book in the series. I have not read enough to verify this.

Sparrowhawk wrote:Hope you enjoy reading Return of the King , it differs a good bit from the movie.

This is my second time through. I read them the first time quite a few years prior to the movies.

Scribs wrote:I sadly have not much spare time as of late. (why i am still on CAA this much still illudes me)

Blame communism.
uc pseudonym

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Nov 17, 2005 4:55 pm

An interesting bit of modern philosophy called Kids Still Say The Darndest Things.
mitsuki lover

Postby Kaori » Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:08 pm

The Spanish Tragedy, by Thomas Kyd. The play suffers significantly in comparison to Shakespeare, although most things would.

Poetry by Emily Dickinson. Some of the poems I enjoy, and some of them are completely incomprehensible to me.

Adrift on the Haunted Seas, by William Hope Hodgson. A worthwhile, though obscure, collection of short fiction. The title is a good indicator of the subject matter.

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Nov 21, 2005 2:48 pm

I just checked out Bernard Goldberg's book:
100 People Who Are Screwing Up America(And Al Franken Is #37)
mitsuki lover

Postby Radical Dreamer » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:17 am

Tales from Jabba's Palace. Yes, as in "the Hutt." XD It's all about the characters found in Jabba's palace in ROTJ, and it's very interesting! It gives backstories for characters like Malakili (the rancor's trainer--sad story!), Salacious Crumb (really funny--I laughed out loud, haha!), Mara Jade, Boba Fett, etc. It's a really cool book, haha!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Kat Walker » Wed Nov 23, 2005 10:31 am

I'm currently reading "The Supernaturalist" by Eoin Colfer. It's rather cyberpunk for a teenager's novel.

Anyway, this boy from the distant future lives in a polluted artificial biosphere in space. He's an orphan (or so he thinks, I believe there will be a plot twist regarding this later on) from an institution who is used as a guinea pig to test all sorts of dangerous new products from bioweapons to deodorant. One day there's an accident during transport and he manages to escape. Nearly killed from a series of daredevil getaways, he finds himself the prey of strange blue alien-like creatures that are literally sucking the life out of him. Luckily, a small group of young people calling themselves "the supernaturalists" rescue him in the nick of time. Apparently, only a few people (usually children or teenagers, or adults who are the product of certain genetic engineering) with certain special abilities can see these strange creatures. No one else believes they exist. So this group has taken it upon themselves to protect the city from their onslaught, as the monsters have multiplied and are no longer preying on just the sick and the weak -- but on any random person they can find.

I like how the story's progressed so far. I'm just learning some more about each character's backstory, and it's really good. If you liked Artemis Fowl, but want something a bit darker and more serious, this is a good read.
Beyond all these things put on love, which is the perfect bond of unity.

Colossians 3:14

~ my personal website ~
Kat Walker

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 24, 2005 2:16 pm

I have begun Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? by Phillip Dick in preparation for the viewing of Blade Runner in one of my courses. It looks to be enjoyable so far, though I reserve judgement on his writing style.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Nov 24, 2005 7:44 pm

I read Do Androids dream. Although insanely different from Bladerunner it does give you a few things to think about (especially in light of Mercerism) but I did not enjoy it as much as I hoped. However I do want to read some other novels by the same author.
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 25, 2005 11:26 am

I assumed that the movie would be different after getting a short distance into the book. However, I could be very wrong in my anticipated differences; I know next to nothing about the film. The only change I can be certain of is the title, and I find that somewhat amusing: one is whimsical and the other dark. We will have to see.
uc pseudonym

Postby Knives » Fri Nov 25, 2005 1:25 pm

"Every Young Man's Battle."
"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader."
Both are really good books.
Knives

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner