What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Kaori » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:46 am

I am fairly fond of T.S. Eliot; it is interesting to see how his writing changed after he became a Christian. From what I have read, there seems to be a fairly clear dichotomy in style before and after his conversion. I can understand how excessive reading of commentaries could be irritating, however.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby greyscale42 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:53 pm

RedWall
by Brian Jacques
greyscale42

Postby The Doctor » Wed Mar 16, 2005 10:02 pm

DISNEYWAR, by James A. Stewart. An indepth report and study on the management team of the Walt Disney Corporation from the early 80's to now, focusing mainly on the arrival of Michael Eisner, Frank Wells, and Jeffery Katzenberg as the new TEAM that is largely responsible for the vast turnaround of the company.

It also carefully analyzes the fall of the company, which pretty much shows what I've come to understand after much careful analysis; all roads lead to Eisner.

It's a FUN FUN FUN read (for guys like me anyways) and I've learned SO much about the entertainment industry as a result of reading this book. A must read for anyone who also plans to start their own production company. You learn the secrets as to how Disney did it. Now, for anime fans, this applies to us because, even the Japanese admit that their animation style was largely influenced by Walt Disney; and Disney is big in Japan.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 17, 2005 5:21 am

[quote="Kaori"]I am fairly fond of T.S. Eliot]

Yes, I would agree with you. He probably uses more allusions to religious material than any other poet I have read; I like his writing better following his conversion, but I am still not fond of poetry in general. I didn't think "The Hollow Men" was too bad, but I did not enjoy the first part of "The Wasteland."
uc pseudonym

Postby glitch1501 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 10:59 am

the shadow of evening by chris walley

Glitch's Photostream

He wants them to learn to walk and must therefore take away His hand; and if only the will to walk is really there, He is pleased even with their stumbles.

Healing hands of God have mercy on our unclean souls
once again. Jesus Christ, Light of the World, burning
bright within our hearts forever. Freedom means love
without condition, without beginning or an end. Here's
my heart, let it be forever Yours, only You can make
every new day seem so new.
Every New Day - On Distant Shores - Five Iron Frenzy

Nail pierced hands they run with blood
A splitting brow forced by the thorns
His face is writhing with the pain yet it's comforting to me
Passion - Kutless
:thumb:
glitch1501

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Mar 19, 2005 10:58 am

- The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde

- Loads of books on Christian Counseling Ethics

Classes are crazy, but reading is always good...
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Mar 20, 2005 2:06 pm

Just read:JUMP THE SHARK,a book about the stupid things famous people have done.
Now reading:BRUCE & STAN's GUIDE TO THE END OF THE WORLD.
mitsuki lover

Postby Maledicte » Wed Mar 23, 2005 2:34 pm

Nightbringer by James Byron Huggins...I don't know, but for some reason this book seems awfully familiar...feels like I know where it's going.

The Crow: Shattered Hearts and Broken Dreams, an anthology edited by James O'Barr. Hey I just realized, one of the admin's name is in the title. Anyways, very dark and pretty.

The Count of Monte Cristo...again. grin:
Maledicte

Postby Jasdero » Wed Mar 23, 2005 3:22 pm

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

<.< I tried to read it a year ago... but lost interest.. XD;;; I'll see if I can finish it this time.
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby the_lizardqueen » Thu Mar 24, 2005 12:34 pm

My Art History textbook, it's headed towards a thousand pages long and weighs a ton. I'm studying the Baroque to the Neo-Classical right now. At least it has lots of pretty pictures..
[color="lightgreen"]"There is an art, or rather, a knack to flying. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss."

-The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy[/color]
the_lizardqueen

Postby Technomancer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:08 pm

Among other things:
"Multichannel Audio Synthesis by Subband-based Spectral Conversion and Parameter Adaptation"

and

"Finding Independant Components Using Spikes: A Natural Result of Hebbian Learning in a Sparse Spike Coding Scheme"
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Maledicte » Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:20 pm

>>My Art History textbook, it's headed towards a thousand pages long and weighs a ton. I'm studying the Baroque to the Neo-Classical right now. At least it has lots of pretty pictures..<<

I can wholeheartedly sympathize. I still haven't sold mine off yet...

>>"Multichannel Audio Synthesis by Subband-based Spectral Conversion and Parameter Adaptation"

and

"Finding Independant Components Using Spikes: A Natural Result of Hebbian Learning in a Sparse Spike Coding Scheme"<<

I'm beginning to wonder if you're making those up.
Maledicte

Postby Technomancer » Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:21 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if you're making those up.

Nope, the first is an article in the March 2005 edition of IEEE Transactions on Speech and Audio Processing. The second is an article from Natural Computing no. 4 pp 159-175 2004.

See here

To be fair, only the second article is of relevance to my current work. I'm reading the first out of purely personal interest (it's pretty cool, but I question the practicality of how they plan to deal with precussion)
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:17 pm

A chapter in a book, the chapter entitled: Hymnody In A Post-Hymnody World by Paul S. Jones.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:56 pm

Technomancer wrote:Among other things:
"Multichannel Audio Synthesis by Subband-based Spectral Conversion and Parameter Adaptation"

and

"Finding Independant Components Using Spikes: A Natural Result of Hebbian Learning in a Sparse Spike Coding Scheme"

Such texts are fun to read in public. People will ask "What are you reading?" and then you can answer them...

I'm a bit surprised at myself. I haven't read any new literature recently.
uc pseudonym

Postby Maledicte » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:14 am

*gasp* No. You're kidding. (no, I am)
Maledicte

Postby Mizumi-Kun » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:54 am

The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The story of a beautiful, innocent man and his personal fall from grace under dark yet close-to-home influences, and the dawning of his immortality through the exchange of his years and sins into a portrait of himself.
Excellent book, but a warning; if your morals are not well-founded DO NOT read this book. If they aren't and you do, you'll be questioning every intent and action under the sun.
Mizumi-Kun

Postby Jasdero » Sat Mar 26, 2005 1:04 am

Mizumi-Kun wrote:[color=Navy]The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
The story of a beautiful, innocent man and his personal fall from grace under dark yet close-to-home influences, and the dawning of his immortality through the exchange of his years and sins into a portrait of himself.
Excellent book, but a warning]

o.o!!! I loved that book... My mother and I can discuss it for hours... XD;;;
× s h i n i e s , y e s ? ×

does it not burn... LIKE THE SUN?!
Jasdero

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Mar 26, 2005 8:12 am

Mizumi-Kun wrote:[color=Navy]The Picture of Dorian Gray, Oscar Wilde
Excellent book, but a warning]

I'm reading this for a class also, but I'm not that far into it. The introduction on lack of morals in writing warned me of his moral stance.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Kaori » Sat Mar 26, 2005 5:53 pm

Naomi, by Tanizaki. A well-written, but rather negative, portrait of a marriage. A classmate of mine responded to this book by saying "I'm never going to marry!"--and I find that reaction understandable.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:21 pm

I had previously only barely began "Death of a Salesman", but last night I began reading it seriously... and finished it. Of all the "classic" literature I have ever been assigned, I believe this may be my favorite. It is a rather depressing play about the utter failure of the American dream, but it sends its message in an intelligent manner. For once, the literary techniques employed by an author seem to add sophistocation, instead of merely complication (though one must be careful while reading).
uc pseudonym

Postby Mave » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:40 pm

I'm reading Pilgrim's Progress for...eh fun. Yeah. Fun. XD;;

Can anyone tell me if this is the adapted or original version?
http://www.ccel.org/b/bunyan/progress/title.html

If it's the original version, it ain't that bad. ^_^
Mave

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Mar 28, 2005 5:28 am

I believe that is the original version. It is generally what I used when I wanted to consult the original text, in any case.
uc pseudonym

Postby Technomancer » Wed Mar 30, 2005 9:31 am

"Rapture Culture: 'Left Behind' in Evangelical America" by Amy Frykholm. It's an interesting, if fairly academic look at the cultural role/impact of the 'Left Behind' novels.

Also a whole lot of stuff on neural computation.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Mar 30, 2005 10:42 am

Justice At Nuremberg.Takes a look at the Nuremberg trials from the inception of the idea of holding the War Crimes tribunal to the trials themselves.Includes background on the defendants,prosecutors,defense lawyers and judges.
If you think that the Nuremberg trials were a sure thing all you need to do is to read the book to get instantly disenchanted with that idea.
For starters the Anglo-Saxon(i.e.American and British)system of law was different from the Continental European system used by the Russian,French and Germans
themselves.For another thing there seemed to have been a lot of ineptitude involved in the prosecution.
They didn't even provide the defense with appropiate material until after the trial
had been started,also the keeping of documents appears to have been half hazard
and on top of everything else they had a hard time agreeing to the overall format.
Also the Pentagon and military brass were loath to have the Wehrmacht and the rest of the German military leadership put on trial.
In the end it was a miracle that the trials even got under way.
mitsuki lover

Postby The Doctor » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:30 pm

I'm reading two books now (now that I have finished DisneyWar. I LOVED that book!)

Eat Mor Chikin, Inspire More People; Doing business the Chick-Fil-A way. By S. Truett Cathy, the founder of Chick Fil-A. Finally, a business book by a Christian who successfully founded a very profitable business.

Second book is He-Motions, Even Strong Men Struggle.by Bishop T.D. Jakes.
My new project: Story Ship, a storyblog. Now updates are every Friday!
http://storyship.blogspot.com/

Check out my short film IMPACT. Trailer available at impactshortfilm.webs.com. Short film now available FREE at http://bit.ly/cglmZ6

"There is therefore now NO condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus." Romans 8:1
The Doctor

Postby Scribs » Thu Mar 31, 2005 7:46 pm

I will soon be starting Faters and Sons by some Russian fellow
"I concluded from the begining that this would be the end; and I am right, for it is not half over."
-Sir Boyle Roche
Scribs

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:00 am

Read Lemony Snicket's The Grim Grotto yesterday and today reading
Artemis Fowl:The Arctic Incident.
mitsuki lover

Postby Locke » Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:53 pm

Splinter Cell (Book based on Tom Clancy's work) By David Micheals
Secret Bumping Club Member #10 - geocities.com/arphage/sbc.html

When you find yourself in the company of a halfling and an ill-tempered
Dragon, remember, you do not have to outrun the Dragon...
...you just have to outrun the halfling.
Locke

Postby Mr. Rogers » Fri Apr 01, 2005 5:04 pm

the boy and his horse - 3rd book in the narnia series
Mr. Rogers

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner