What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby MomentOfInertia » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:14 pm

Read The Fire Within by Chris D'Lacey. it was nice in a kind of cute way, interesting little world.

Reread The Malloreon series by David Eddings.
MAL - CAA MAL club - Avatar from Hyouka
"DaughterOfZion 06:19 - forget love, fudge conquers all. xD"
"Written assignments are never finished, only due." -me
-Speak not unless you can improve the silence.-
MOES: Members Observing Efficient Sigs
MomentOfInertia

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Jul 02, 2011 8:21 pm

Currently reading:
Planet Narnia - by Michael Ward
This is an interesting, if difficult read. Lots of dry academic language and references to things I previously knew nothing about.
Also,
The Big Argument: Twenty-four Scholars Explore Why Science, Archaeology and Philosophy Haven't Disproved God - edited by Michael J. Westacott & John F. Ashton

About to begin reading:
Gotham Central: Book One - by Ed Brubaker & Greg Rucka
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:32 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1488721) wrote:
And I just started Rita Hayworth [I think?] and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King. Shouldn't it be 'the Shawshank Redemption'? Anyway, after reading On Writing, I wanted to see what his writing was actually like. (Yup, that's right - never read a Stephen King story before XD) Too early to decide yet.

I think his best book ever was It, with The Green Mile a close second. You should read those. I'd also recommend the Dark Tower series, but to really get the full effect, you need to read a lot more of his books, because they tie into the Dark Tower stuff at times.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby SincerelyAnomymous » Sun Jul 03, 2011 4:39 pm

I should probably get back to Inkspell, but man, Percy Jackson is ten times better than it. Right now, I'm on the Lightning Thief.
SincerelyAnomymous

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:39 pm

Ferb (post: 1488987) wrote:I should probably get back to Inkspell, but man, Percy Jackson is ten times better than it. Right now, I'm on the Lightning Thief.

Percy Jackson is awesome. The Lightning Thief actually didn't impress me when I first read it, but the series got much better. Sea of Monsters kinda blew me away.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:15 pm

Started reading The Lord of the Rings, to see for myself how "bad" this book really is. I did read it once before, many years ago, and I remeber coming away quite satisfied overall, despite the occasional slow, dragging bits.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Valkaiser » Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:03 pm

Faery in Shadow by C.J. Cherryh

Gone through several of hers recently (went crazy at the used book store, she is my favorite author).
Valkaiser

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:26 pm

Beastly By Alex Flinn. I liked it, but I'm hoping the movie is better. One thing that was weird for me was that I felt like it was written by a mother trying to sound cool, like a teenage boy (the main character), but it didn't seem as natural as other books from similar perspectives. Sorry if I'm sounding a little crytical, I didn't mean to. I still liked the book, it kept me reading at the end, though I could guess some of what was going to happen. It was a nbeat twist on a classic story, and she really did her research! If you go see the movie (I have yet to see it) you should read the book first.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Phantom_Sorano » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:33 pm

Currently reading The Laramie Project and about to start Bluegrass.

Laramie is a really interesting account of what happened to Matthew, and a good play. It's a good read.
Jeremiah 29:11-"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord,"plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."
"All the world's a stage and all the men and women merely players; they have their entrances and their exits and one man in his time plays many parts."-Will Shakespeare
@)}~ carry this rose in your sig, as thanks, to all the CAA Moderators
Phantom_Sorano

Postby Atria35 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 2:36 pm

Nadia (post: 1489591) wrote:Would that be the one by Patrick Rothfuss? I've had it on my shelf for awhile now...just haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but your comments about it make me look forward to reading it even more. ^_^

Yes. Yes, it is. I can't believe how easy it was to read it, even though it was a decent size. Very impressive! (and good!)

Clementine by Cherie Priest- I skipped a book in the series. I'm not sure I'm enjoying this one as much as the other two I read.
Atria35

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:58 am

I'm currently reading a book by Philip K Dick called The Man in the High Castle, which is about a world where the Nazis won and America is divided up between Japan and Germany. Very interesting so far...
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Xeno » Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:50 am

Aside from some heavy Bible reading I'm doing right now I've started reading "Velvet Elvis" by Rob Bell and I'm planning on picking up his book "Drops Like Stars" sometime soon since it's not available on the Kindle for some reason.
Xeno

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jul 08, 2011 3:58 pm

Read the first book of The Hunger Games, by Suzanne Collins. Completely different from what I expected--I had no idea romance would play such a large part. It was odd but enjoyable, I guess. I liked the protagonist, and was pleasantly surprised at her approach to love and killing in the Games. (She didn't go into long, rambling monologues on either.) Unfortunately my library hasn't got the rest of the series, so I'll have to figure out how badly I want to read the sequels.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:23 pm

reading vols 5-8 of Y the Last Man.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Okami » Fri Jul 08, 2011 9:47 pm

I finally got to pick up a copy of Francis Chan's and Preston Sprinkle's Erasing Hell. So far I think I've wrestled more with the Scripture references than the presented material itself, so I'm not too far into it yet (Read: Still in the first chapter.) I'm taking my time and carefully considering what it being said, as I did with Chan's Crazy Love.

And at the time being, I'm looking into a new Bible. I'm just getting tired of lugging my beast everywhere and want to try out another translation; I'm in the process of weighing the pros and cons, visiting bookstores, testing and trying out a few possibilities. I've never taken this much consideration into finding a new Bible, so the hunt is so much more fun than it's ever been! :thumb:
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Just finished vols 6 and 7 of Y the Last Man. I plan to finish v. 8 by tomorrow.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Jul 12, 2011 3:20 am

Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn

I wouldn't call this a bad book and I can understand how someone could enjoy it. But in terms of page time, it's an unholy fusion of fantasy and romance. This combined with the forward where the author says she had no idea where she was going with anything means I'll be moving to other authors.

The Four-Hour Body by Tim Ferriss

Reading an exercise book feels very out of character for me, but my work/hobbies are sedentary and a coworker convinced me efficiency matters more than effort. Major portions devoted to fat loss weren't very helpful, and the author recommends diets and drugs that really aren't practical when you're a guest in a culture like this. Though the book is based on personal experiments, I'm skeptical of the methodology for many.

However, the parts that get into the science (muscle building vs fat storage, which phases of sleep are necessary, etc) are generally fascinating. Even ignoring parts I find suspicious, it had a variety of useful things I'll be incorporating into my life.

Reaper's Gale by Steven Erikson

Part of the problem with the early parts of Erikson's books is that they jump between unrelated storylines too frequently, making everything inch along. But once things get set up... the climax featured two different wars, a tournament, a bunch of gods throwing down, and around a dozen character deaths.

However, I have to complain about Erikson's naming. Everything is either "T'vril'xkas" or "James" (if not an actually English word like "Sorry"). I'm fine with the Marine nicknames. But we're supposed to take characters named Pully and Skwish seriously. And then there's a kingdom named Isthmus... that is an isthmus. That was the last straw for benefit of the doubt in terms of naming.

Note for Malazan reader(s): So would it be fair to say that Hedge was blown to pieces by a bomb and then walked it off?
uc pseudonym

Postby Kitsune » Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:51 pm

Oh boy what am I reading? XD here we go.

Hammered by Kevin Hearne is my current book, I'm about half way through. After that I have: Webmage by Kelly McCullough, Magic Burns by Ilona Andrews, Child of Fire by Harry Connolly, Roesmary and Rue by Seanan McGuire, The Darkest Edge of Dawn by Kelly Gay (Hey two Kelly's on here, I so didn't even notice that XD), and of course come the 26th Ghost Story by Jim Butcher ( >D I love me some Dresden files)
and those are just my currrent stack 8D plenty more where that came from
Kitsune

Postby GeneD » Thu Jul 14, 2011 9:08 am

Recently finished:
A Hat Full of Sky and Wintersmith by Terry Pratchett
House of Many Ways by Diana Wynne Jones (I didn't find it as good as Howl's and Castle in the Air, but not bad.)

Currently reading:
The Sign of the Four; the second Sherlock Holmes story by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jul 14, 2011 4:59 pm

Finished the final two volumes of Y the Last Man. It's great, if you can handle all the mature material. But that's Vertigo for you.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Jul 14, 2011 5:22 pm

Still reading A Clash of Kings. If it didn't have so many chapters from characters I hate, it would be easier to read. Instead it's like, "oh man what's going to happ-- oh. The next chapter is a Theon chapter. FFFFfffuuu--"
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 4:58 am

Oh come on, Theon is awesome. There is so much b.a. in Song of Ice and Fire.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:08 am

Y: The Last Man had an interesting premise but I thought the execution was rather simple. I wasn't too fond of all the man-hating either. It seemed like the author hated himself for being a man and placed the responsibility of all evil acts on males alone. Not cool.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:43 am

Warrior 4 Jesus (post: 1490892) wrote:Y: The Last Man had an interesting premise but I thought the execution was rather simple. I wasn't too fond of all the man-hating either. It seemed like the author hated himself for being a man and placed the responsibility of all evil acts on males alone. Not cool.

Um, I have something to point out: The all-woman world isn't exactly a paradise. I think he treats both genders equally.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:58 am

ShiroiHikari (post: 1490794) wrote:Still reading A Clash of Kings. If it didn't have so many chapters from characters I hate, it would be easier to read. Instead it's like, "oh man what's going to happ-- oh. The next chapter is a Theon chapter. FFFFfffuuu--"
To be fair, while I haven't read the books yet, most of them will be dead soon anyways.

Oh yeah, I finished Summer Knight, which I thought was easily the best book of the Dresden Files that I've read yet.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby SnoringFrog » Fri Jul 15, 2011 9:41 pm

I recently started Hood by Stephen Lawhead. Not too far into it yet, but so far it's been all right. I've liked his other work I've read.

I also finally bought a copy of the first Harry Potter book that I hope to get read sometime.
UC Pseudonym wrote:For a while I wasn't sure how to answer this, and then I thought "What would Batman do?" Excuse me while I find a warehouse with a skylight...
[SIZE="7"][color="MediumTurquoise"]Cobalt Figure 8[/color][/SIZE]
DeviantArt || Myspace || Facebook || Greasemonkey Scripts || Stylish Userstyles
SnoringFrog

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:42 am

Currently reading a high profile release that will surprise no one, but I'll post thoughts after I finish.

rocklobster wrote:Oh come on, Theon is awesome. There is so much b.a. in Song of Ice and Fire.

What did you like about Theon? I'm honestly curious, since I haven't heard that opinion much. First he made little impression on me, then he was just entitled, then irritating.

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:Y: The Last Man had an interesting premise but I thought the execution was rather simple. I wasn't too fond of all the man-hating either. It seemed like the author hated himself for being a man and placed the responsibility of all evil acts on males alone. Not cool.

I didn't get that feeling from the books. While I didn't necessarily like the number of characters expressing such views, I don't think the author really shared them.

Mr. Hat'n'Clogs wrote:To be fair, while I haven't read the books yet, most of them will be dead soon anyways.

Though GRRM has a reputation for killing off characters, I think this is mostly because some people you start out thinking are important are really minor parts in the overall series. I'm fairly sure the main characters are immortal until the last book. Hope you like Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion.
uc pseudonym

Postby rocklobster » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:13 am

I just liked how full of himself he was, actually.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Edward » Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:31 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1491122) wrote:Hope you like Daenerys, Jon, and Tyrion.

I really hope that doesn't mean what I think it means. (I've only read A Game of Thrones, so I may be wrong, though I doubt it.)

In other news, I recently started The Two Towers.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby bakura91 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:53 pm

Just started reading Dune, I Love Scifi novels!
bakura91

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner