What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby ShiroiHikari » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:20 pm

Finished A Game of Thrones. About to start the next book in the series, A Clash of Kings.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 4:28 pm

Started Dreadnought by Cherie Priest. Not what I expected to be reading, but it was on the shelf, and I am enjoying it a lot! Dark steampunk!
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Sun Jun 12, 2011 5:45 am

Anywho, started Homecoming: Earth a collection of all the books in Orson Scott Card's Homecoming saga. Which is basically part of the Book of Mormon...IN SPACE! (well, he is a Mormon after all.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Jun 12, 2011 6:27 am

Currently reading A Call for the Dead by John Le Carré, an enjoyable cloak-and-dagger who dunnit so far and not as heavy as other books by the author. When I'm done with that I'll be reading On Writing that guy from Maine as well.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 7:35 pm

“Meditationsâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Kaori » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:08 am

Required reading for work:

Foundations of Christian School Education (James Braley, Jack Layman, and Ray White, eds.)
Philosophy & Education: An introduction in Christian perspective by George R. Knight
Sowing for Excellence: Educating God’s Way by Claude E. Schindler
Inside the Christian School by Roy W. Lowrie, Jr.
Teaching Redemptively by Donovan L. Graham

I have strong opinions about all of these, but I highly doubt the subject matter is of interest to anyone else on here besides me, so I’ll refrain from commenting.

Total Truth: Liberating Christianity from its Cultural Captivity
by Nancy Pearcey. Also for work, but this one I will comment on, since it’s for a general audience, not specifically for educators. This book has three main sections. The first is about worldviews. The second is about cosmology and is an argument against Darwinism and naturalism. The third is about the historical evangelical movement and its influences on American Christianity. The first two sections did not interest me very much because I had heard most of it already many times, although the first section was important because it developed the author’s premise, which is that there is a distinct fact/value dichotomy in the American mindset, and this dichotomy lies at the heart of the problems that face American Christianity today.

The third section, however, was so riveting that although I was pulling an all-nighter in order to read this book, I was literally on the edge of my seat. Reading about the history of the evangelical movement in the United States was like that very first time I ever put on glasses as a child, having never previously realized that I needed them—it made me aware of the historical and cultural influences that have shaped my beliefs and the beliefs of those around me. There was also an interesting chapter on how the fact/value dichotomy and the industrial revolution affected gender roles and led to the feminization of Christianity, but the most gripping chapters were those that dealt with the history of evangelicalism.

So, this book became an unexpected page-turner because it was so fascinating to me to see how I and people I know have been influenced by the history of American evangelicalism; it made a lot of things that I had previously been more or less vaguely aware of suddenly make perfect sense, because I now understand their historical causes. My main complaint is that the author could have said everything she wanted to in about half as many pages. But obviously, I found the book to be very much worth reading despite its long-windedness. [/long-winded post]
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Jun 15, 2011 3:31 pm

Picked up Joe Abercrombie's Best Served Cold. Read the prologue. Yeesh. So, 900 pages of wince-inducing brutality. Okay. . . .
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Kaori » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:45 am

This is going to be another slab of text.

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich by Alexander Solzhenitsyn. Soviet prison camp atrocities: fictional, but based on the author’s own experiences. I feel as if this book ought to have made more of an impression on me than it did, but perhaps because I have already read Night, The Hiding Place, and various other accounts of internment camps, concentration camps, prisons, exile in Siberia, etc., it just did not stand out from the rest (aside from the level of profanity, which is simply realism). I found it interesting that the Christian character, Alyoshka, was notably different from the other prisoners—although the title character rejects his attempts at proselytizing, he also recognizes his meekness and the sincerity of his faith. Sadly, though, Alyoshka doesn’t seem to make much of a difference in the lives of the other characters. Overall, it is a picture of a world without hope, where each man is looking out for himself.

I also just completed reading the short and long versions of the Epistles of Ignatius of Antioch, one of the Apostolic Fathers; he was reportedly a disciple of John the Apostle. I read the seven epistles that are generally considered authentic (Ephesians, Magnesians, Trallians, Romans, Philadelphians, Smyrnaeans, Polycarp), skipping the Syriac versions and the spurious epistles (those purporting to be written by Ignatius of Antioch and actually written by someone else). These can be found in Ante-Nicene Fathers Volume 1: The Apostolic Fathers with Justin Martyr and Irenaeus, edited by Philip Schaff, which is free to read or download on CCEL. Some observations:

1. Ignatius’ language so thoroughly imitates the language of the Bible, specifically of the Pauline epistles, that reading the epistles of Ignatius is a lot like reading the New Testament epistles. However, there are a few places here and there where he invents an analogy of his own, and I find these to be ingenious and charming. An example from the Epistle to the Ephesians:
For your justly renowned presbytery, worthy of God, is fitted as exactly to the bishop as the strings are to the harp. Therefore in your concord and harmonious love, Jesus Christ is sung. And do ye, man by man, become a choir, that being harmonious in love, and taking up the song of God in unison, ye may with one voice sing to the Father through Jesus Christ, so that He may both hear you, and perceive by your works that ye are indeed the members of His Son. (Chapter 4)

2. During the life of Ignatius, the church already had a very well-defined and well-articulated Christology; it also had a firm sense of what was and was not heresy, as demonstrated by the way that Ignatius so vigorously denounces false beliefs (e.g. that Jesus did not truly suffer but only appeared to suffer).

3. At this time, the church also already had a clear, consistent hierarchy of bishops (one bishop per congregation, that is, one per city), presbyters, and deacons.

These letters were written in haste as Ignatius was on his way to martyrdom in Rome, so with a few exceptions (Romans and Polycarp), most of them are fairly repetitive. Despite their repetition, they were generally good reading, though they contain nothing particularly surprising or earth-shattering.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.

MAL
Kaori

Postby Atria35 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Started and finished reading The Shack today. It's okay.... better than most Christian Fiction, still very bad in terms of execution. It's really theology wrapped in a good plot that's executed poorly.

The story seems very much like The Lovely Bones- daughter is murdered, family has issues moving on, forgiveness is sought. However, this isn't from the daughter's POV, it's from the father's.

The first half is very clunky and reads unnaturally. The author even goes into a little author tract (tangent?) in the first 60 pages- not impressive. The writing seems very detatched and unemotional. The middle isn't much different. While it does get better in terms of pacing and structural issues, it's so DRY. All theology, no emotion. The last third was far better, but then I was left with hanging plots.

A lot of my issues come from half-baked plots and ideas that run rampant through this book. You have a mention that Kate is acting out and that's actually what facilitates him being able to go out into the wilderness. She has something important and relevant to the plot. However, you never actually SEE her until the end- she's merely mentioned as acting out. And only an idiot wouldn't realize from the beginning that it maybe just might have something to do with her sister. Even people who aren't there when their relatives and loved ones disappear and/or are murdered have guilt and whatnot.

Then there's all that forgiveness at the end. Somehow, Mack seems to forget that he is also a murderer. Yes, his daughter was killed and his family was left with hurt (though the effects of her murder are actually never shown affecting the family except in Kate's behaviour, mysteriously), but he did the same thing to his mother and sisters! THey may not have liked their father, but was it ever said that they didn't love him? His mother is implied to have known, nonetheless, and somehow things are resolved between them. This really should have been made into much more than a passing mention. Why did she forgive him? How? Couldn't that have been made an example of forgiveness at work? Whatever the reason, it's brought up and then dropped.

There are several things like that which really bother me. I couldn't rate this higher than a 2.5/5. And suggest that you read The Lovely Bones instead.
Atria35

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Tue Jun 21, 2011 3:42 pm

Finished the first Tiffany Aching book, Wee Free Men, by Terry Pratchett. There are so many things I loved about it. Possibly the biggest was that we didn't spend a hundred pages of Tiffany going "OMG MAGIC IS REAL NO WAY". And she's a smart character, even beyond her fast acceptance of magic. Also, despite being a pretty funny book, it had heart, too.

This was the first Pratchett book I've read, and I'm very impressed. I'll definitely be reading more of his work.
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jun 21, 2011 5:12 pm

Reading the first four volumes of Y the Last Man.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GeneD » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:24 am

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1486295) wrote:Possibly the biggest was that we didn't spend a hundred pages of Tiffany going "OMG MAGIC IS REAL NO WAY". And she's a smart character, even beyond her fast acceptance of magic.
I haven't read this book in a while, but considering this is set in the Discworld (I know it's your first book) it would have been a little unrealistic if she did.
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby musicaloddball » Wed Jun 22, 2011 11:05 am

I finished Cormac McCarthy's book The Road. Awesome book. I didn't feel it was that good when I was reading, then I finished it yesterday, and its awesomeness has finally sunken in today. XD
musicaloddball

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:28 pm

Making it a point to finish Name of the Wind- I'm just grateful that I am over 3/4 through and it really is easy to read. Why did I get sidetracked again?
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:09 pm

starting The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Kaori » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:49 am

Old Yeller by Fred Gipson is full of 19th century jargon and not what I would have chosen to teach to middle school students who struggle in English, but there’s no help for that now. That aside, as a book it is pretty okay.

Iphigenia in Tauris by Euripides. Well, this was an odd one. It was exhibited at the Theatre of Dionysus, so it is supposed to be a tragedy, but it really isn’t. Perhaps it was originally considered a tragedy because it concerns the cursed house of Atreus, but really it is much more like a romance (as in, the story of a journey). A couple of very pointed comments about the gods highlight Euripides’ agnosticism, so those were interesting, and there are a few rhetorical fireworks. For the most part, though, I don't particularly see why critics hold it in such high esteem. The translation I read was not very good, so I suppose that might have something to do with why this play doesn’t really do anything for me.

Lysistrata by Aristophanes: . . .

I’ve also begun reading The Church History of Eusebius, but is quite lengthy, so I’m going to be at it for a while.

MAL
Kaori

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:27 am

Just read Darke, the sixth Septimus Heap book by Angie Sage. I really enjoyed it, and read it surprisingly fast. What struck me most, I think, was the number of characters Sage was maneuvering around. The cast is enormous, for a kid's book at least. And the world is very thoroughly built.
GeneD (post: 1486415) wrote:I haven't read this book in a while, but considering this is set in the Discworld (I know it's your first book) it would have been a little unrealistic if she did.

I didn't realize it was set in Discworld. For some reason I thought it was contemporary fantasy taking place in an unusually old-fashioned pocket of England. o.O

And now I can't imagine why I thought that. XD

My mistake, then. Thanks for pointing that out.

FllMtl Novelist

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jun 25, 2011 1:36 pm

FllMtl Novelist (post: 1484364) wrote:I read that, and found it interesting too. Possibly because Stephen King is pretty opinionated about some things. (In particular, I remember him all but declaring that discovery writing is The Only Way To Write--I outline, so I disagree there. XD)

Yeah, his whole "structure is for morons" thing was one thing I strongly disagreed with, even though I'm a discovery writer myself :P I much prefer the view expressed on the podcast Writing Excuses - every writer needs to structure their story]On Writing,[/i] and found it interesting even though it wasn't terribly helpful since I've read so many other writing books as well. Some of the stuff was very encouraging, though - learning about how low this bestselling author started, as well as a couple of encouraging quotes. One thing I really appreciated was the way he basically said, "What are you sitting around complaining for? Just write. You're supposed to like doing this if you consider yourself a writer, so why would you want to give it anything less than your best shot? You certainly won't get published otherwise!"

Now I'm moving on to a Prince of Persia comic book while I wait for my book on hold to come to the library XD
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Atria35 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 2:30 pm

FINALLY finished Salem's Lot. Definitely dark and depressing. I think it's still not as good as Dracula, but there were certain things that really made it... Well. It was very Stephen King.
Atria35

Postby Agloval » Sat Jun 25, 2011 3:10 pm

I'm reading one canto of The Faerie Queene a day. I read it back when I was a pimply Sixth Former, so it's a pretty nostalgic experience. The endless stream of Spenserian stanzas, each one neatly rounded-off, is weirdly comforting. And there are swordfights, and of course you can't have a really good story without those. I'm still not very far through it. Prince Arthur (i.e. Spenser's version of King Arthur before-he-was-famous) has just turned up for the first time.

This morning I also read Our Friends From Frolix 8, by Philp K. Dick. It doesn't really stand out as one of his good novels, but it passed the time and had some fun (if a bit depressing) ideas about the future.
'That blast is blown for me, for I am the prize, and yet am I not dead.'
Agloval

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Jun 27, 2011 2:26 am

The Bone Palace by Amanda Downum

Very enjoyable book. The setting is dark, with necromancers and blood mages being 9-5 jobs instead of villains (also, I'm pleased by the existence of entropy-mancers). I found the female protagonist notable in being non-stereotypical, and the control of plot/characters was good in general. Unfortunately, I can't give the book a standard recommendation here on CAA. The sexual content isn't all that much or all that explicit, but if you're the type of person who is offended by the idea of non-monogamous relationships, this book is pretty far outside your comfort zone.

Torn by Amanda Hocking
Ascend also by Amanda Hocking

Read these as part of a deal with a friend to push ourselves and read things we normally wouldn't like. In some parts it wasn't so bad (there's an actual plot) but I dislike the very essence of the series. So in a sense I was glad that it ended terribly, with little resolution or logic, otherwise I would have to give grudging respect for a competent plot.

Finch by Jeff VanderMeer

This is a detective novel set in a city devastated by a war with fungus people (who have fungal guns and mushrooms that absorb memories). Other than that I found this book to be enjoyable and well-crafted, that first sentence probably tells you enough, either way. The tone is muted and there are some dark turns, so this isn't the type of book you'd want to read if you're looking for an uplifting story.
uc pseudonym

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 pm

I read Wings by Aprilynne Pike because I'd heard about it on Writing Excuses (Ms. Pike was a guest that episode). I thought the science/world-building sounded cool. Unfortunately, that was the only part of the book I really liked. Among other things, I was often annoyed with the heroine. She doesn't maliciously mess with certain characters' hearts, but [spoiler]she kissed two different guys, sincerely, within fifteen pages or so. I mean if you can't choose, say so, but don't go around kissing them when at least one of them's guaranteed to get rejected before the tale is over. Geez.[/spoiler]So yeah, I won't read the sequel.

I should probably head back to Ranger's Apprentice now and finish that series. XD

FllMtl Novelist

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:07 am

Just finished reading Watchmen after checking out again and not finishing it before for some reason, but all I can say is: WOW!
ST. Attidude

Postby Edward » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:24 am

I'll be reading LOTR, considering how people have been talking about it so much in my thread. Maybe I'll actually finish it this time. XD
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby That Dude » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:44 pm

ST. Attidude (post: 1488016) wrote:Just finished reading Watchmen after checking out again and not finishing it before for some reason, but all I can say is: WOW!

I've tried to read it a few times, but I honestly couldn't force myself to get more than about 3 pages in I thought it was so bad...Actually I think that I tried to read it twice with the same results...But to each his own.

Anyway, I am currently reading through...

Deliver Us From Evil -by- Ravi Zacharias
Ethics -by- Dietrich Bonhoeffer
The Song Of Scarabaeus -by- Sara Creasy
Heretics -by- GK Chesterton

And about to start

The Bondage Of The Will -by- Martin Luther.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:55 pm

Finished The Name of the Wind- FINALLY! It's really easy to get through, even though it's a legnthy book. I just put it off for way too long. Fabulous, fabulous story. I am SO happy the second book in the series is finally out! I will totally be asking my librarians for it.
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:00 pm

Recently finished book 1 of Cirque du Freak. I liked it enough to continue. Picked up the second book. A couple of other books from the library whose names escape me, and I'm rereading Howl's Moving Castle.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Atria35 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:09 pm

Blacklight (post: 1488174) wrote:Recently finished book 1 of Cirque du Freak. I liked it enough to continue.

Good books but I prefer the manga! xD
Atria35

Postby Blacklight » Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:11 pm

I never actually checked to see if the library has the manga... I'll have to do that.
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:31 pm

So, the Prince of Persia comic book was "meh." Now I'm reading a very not-meh book, God-Emperor of Dune by Frank Herbert. I'm not very far in it yet, but I'm already relaxing into the way his books work. (Though...Arrakis apparently has a forest now. And a sea :eh: )

Oh, and I also read The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway :/ I don't like Hemingway much, and that book seriously needed a line break or two somewhere, because I felt like I had to read it all in one sitting. It's only a hundred or so pages long, but still. A very boring book for one sitting.

And I just started Rita Hayworth [I think?] and Shawshank Redemption by Stephen King. Shouldn't it be 'the Shawshank Redemption'? Anyway, after reading On Writing, I wanted to see what his writing was actually like. (Yup, that's right - never read a Stephen King story before XD) Too early to decide yet.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner