What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Nami » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:57 am

The Hollow Kingdom - Clare B. Dunkle, so far I haven't really grasped the edges of this book, I'm still figuring out whats happening. But A+++ to the Author for making the beginning of the book so epic and awesome. Apparently this is a Trilogy. Its about two girls who come to live with their Uncle, but he doesn't like them because they apparently aren't really related to him, except through some obscure thing. Its really good though. The writing is fantastic.

The Princess and the Bear - Mette Ivie Harrison, I almost finished this one, this morning, its the sequel to; the Princess and the Hound. Really, really good books. The first one is a bit boring. But this book was fast-paced with lots of emotion and wonderful perspective. I like it a lot.

OOH! About Wayfarer There are a WHOLE lot of Christian references in there. It was a nice change. ^^
[color="Red"][SIZE="3"]Swiftly Dissin' and never Missin'.
Yours Truly,
Sick of all the BSin'.[/SIZE][/color]
Nami

Location: Sitting in a tree, waiting for you. *sinister grin*

Postby Cognitive Gear » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:49 am

Just about finished with The Great Movies by Roger Ebert. I've been skipping the essays on movies I have no yet seen, since I tend to get more out of a film the less I know about it.

It's a pretty good read, and very accessible to boot.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 6:31 pm

Finished City of Bones (book 2 in the Mortal Insturments series)- the writing has gotten better, and the story is stil okay. I just don't think it's compelling or good enough to make me want to read the third.

Started on Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman.

And as a double bonus, I found a book series that I've been trying to remember for FOREVER! It's called Stravaganza. And for the life of me, I just turned around when I was at the library, picked it up since it looked familiar, and lo and behold! It was fantastic. I read it when I was younger and thought it was pretty darn good.
Atria35

Postby Mithrandir » Fri Nov 12, 2010 7:37 pm

Just started How an Economy Grows and why it Crashes by Peter D. Schiff. Really interesting and doesn't require any prior understanding of economics.
Mithrandir

Postby Atria35 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:38 pm

Finished Neverwhere- what a fantastic book! Adventure, a little mystery, impossible travels and interesting characters.... This is like some modern fairy-tale, almost, just as twisted and with a similar premise. But....turned on it's head.

Also just finished The Last Unicorn. Now THIS is classic fantasy. I loved it. I think my favorite character was Schmendrick. Out of all of them, he was [spoiler]incredibly genre-savvy. He knew that they were in a fairy-tale, he knew what had to be done and what made heroes. That made him an interesting character, because it's so rare to find fantasy stories where the characters are so aware of what's playing out around them.[/spoiler] All in all, a new favorite.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:05 pm

Finally finished Towers of Midnight Wow! Sanderson is really surpassing my expectations as the heir to Wheel of Time. Too bad I have to wait another year to finish!
Anyway, started The Lost Hero, the first book in Rick Riordan's new sequel series to his Percy Jackson books.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:04 pm

Finished Book 1 in the Batrimaeus Trilogy (I think that title is Amulet of Samarkand). Interesting world setup, with magicians not really having powers of their own (a la Harry Potter) and needing to call on demons to do their work for them. Fails in the the narrator has a bloated ego and the kid is an arrogant jerk. Good story overall, but I'm not compelled to pick up the next one.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:57 am

Atria35 (post: 1437630) wrote:Finished Book 1 in the Batrimaeus Trilogy (I think that title is Amulet of Samarkand). Interesting world setup, with magicians not really having powers of their own (a la Harry Potter) and needing to call on demons to do their work for them. Fails in the the narrator has a bloated ego and the kid is an arrogant jerk. Good story overall, but I'm not compelled to pick up the next one.

As someone who's read the entire trilogy, I have to say I agree. That kid is annoying. He doesn't get any better in the other books, and by the time he does redeem himself, it was too late for me. Really, the only reason I kept reading was Bartimaeus. He kinda reminded me of Screwtape. I mean, Artemis Fowl is arrogant too, but you can kind of sympathize with him.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 17, 2010 6:10 am

rocklobster (post: 1437753) wrote:As someone who's read the entire trilogy, I have to say I agree. That kid is annoying. He doesn't get any better in the other books, and by the time he does redeem himself, it was too late for me. Really, the only reason I kept reading was Bartimaeus. He kinda reminded me of Screwtape. I mean, Artemis Fowl is arrogant too, but you can kind of sympathize with him.

Oh, dear. Well, I'm glad that it was only one book that I decided to read, and book-of-the-month club decided to do a different series for December!
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 18, 2010 3:59 am

The Lost Hero is a great start! I kind of like the fact that Riordan [spoiler] Decided to work in the different interpretations of the classical gods. In other words, they act differently when addressed by their Roman names. And there are now kids born of their Roman aspects, who don't have the ADHD problem their Greek counterparts have because they're wired for Latin, not Greek.[/spoiler]
Now reading book 3 of the Shadow saga, Shadow Puppets.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 6:40 am

Started on Inkheart. So far, so good.
Atria35

Postby GeneD » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:49 am

Finished The Lies of Locke Lamora today. I really enjoyed it although the end took me a while to get to mostly because of NaNoWriMo. There are genuinely funny bits and sad bits and lots of swearing. I'm hoping to find the second book at the library, otherwise I'll have to consider buying the book(s).
I don't know what broke to make you like this, but I must be broken too if I'm standing here praising your destructiveness. -Rock (Black Lagoon)

As I had encountered kindness, I wanted to be kind myself. -Takashi Natsume (Natsume's Book of Friends)

MAL
Twitter
MOES: Promoting sane sigs.
GeneD

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 5:49 am

^ It seems that I"m a little bit of a liar. A friend impressed upon me that, since I'm borrowing her AF: Atlantis Comlex book, that I should read that first. So I'm halfway through that.
Atria35

Postby CrystalChalice » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:24 am

Currently reading The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby Edward » Sat Nov 20, 2010 12:34 pm

I plan on reading Dune by Frank Herbert soon.
[thread=43825]MOES[/thread] One sig to rule them all. One sig to find them. One sig to bring them all, and in 250 px or less bind them. In the land of Mordor, where the sigs do not scroll.

Real men don't sparkle, real men defeat dark wizards.

"Many that live deserve death. And some that die deserve life. Can you give it to them? Then do not be too eager to deal out death in judgement. For even the very wise cannot see all ends."

chatbot 07:24 - Edward asks, do you ever give relevant answers chatty?
My answer: No
Edward

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Nov 20, 2010 5:25 pm

Just finished the first three-part omnibus of The Black Company, now on the second, starting with book 4: Shadow Games.

There's no neatly wrapped-up "happy endings" in these books, but I like that. It's refreshingly realistic. And Glen Cook really knows how to write a climactic battle scene.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Atria35 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 4:09 pm

Finished Arty: Atlantis Complex- Better than the last addition to the series! Thank goodness! Not as good as the first five books, IMO, but still a worthy addition to the series.
Atria35

Postby armeck » Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:17 pm

.hack gu (book two) and the bible
Just some punk kid that likes techno music
armeck

Postby Atria35 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:04 pm

Interview with a Vampire- *low whistle* This was not the movie! And I liked it for that. I think my favorite character was Claudia- I felt for her. I mean, in the movie she was a brat. In the book, she's a grown woman trapped in the body of a child. How is she supposed to deal with that? She only knows the vampire part of life, never really experienced humanity, yet still has very human longings- to love, be loved, and be independent. And so in her almost innocent cruelty she did something unforgivable to vampires, and was punished for it. I felt bad for her, though, since she didn't see any other way to escape- not with how Pont du Lac was feeling.
Atria35

Postby ich1990 » Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:17 pm

[B]“Poemsâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Nami » Wed Nov 24, 2010 5:40 am

The Golden Web I forgot who wrote this book, but it is about an actual historic person who lived in Italy. Apparently one of the first woman to dress as a man and study how to become a doctor. Its a good book with many twists and turns, I liked most of it except the endign, but alas it usually ends that way.

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner Despite how people rail against the Twilight Saga, I enjoyed all the books except the 4th one. This book was no acception, it was good, dare I say, better written than the Saga. Bree has more life than Bella ever did! Which is amazing, she actually uses her brain for something other than gawking. Bree is fooled by the vampire Riley's way of life and believes all the lies until Diego, a brave Vampire who likes to try things shows her they can't die in sunlight. Bree finds herself alone, save for Fred, a vampire that has the power of revulsion, from what I picked up, Bree can reflect these powers. She used Fred's ability to hide herself even without knowing she was doing it. Later on, she reflects Jasper's ability of emotion. Its a very good read and I strongly suggest it, even if you hated the Saga, this book is well written and has much more depth (despite its hilariously short length)
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:05 am

Started up Gunslinger. So far, so good!
Atria35

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 24, 2010 8:10 am

Atria35 (post: 1439389) wrote:Started up Gunslinger. So far, so good!

The one by Edward Dorn or Stephen King?
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:10 am

bigsleepj (post: 1439392) wrote:The one by Edward Dorn or Stephen King?

Stephen King.
Atria35

Postby Nami » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:51 am

I'm about to start; The Buccaneers Apprentice. ^^
Yours Truly,
Nami

Postby Sheenar » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:49 am

Life Without Limits by Nick Vujicic

http://www.lifewithoutlimbs.org/
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:18 am

I've began Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:00 pm

Almost through with Gunslinger by Stephen King- It's an interesting story, but I really have to read the next one to get a better grasp on the story. The first book is incredibly short, and definitely as dark as his horror. But it's.... minimalist with the story it tells. I'm used to The Shining and Pet Sematary writing of King- deep, richly detailed... long. Suffice it to say, this isn't quite like those works.

Also started the third book in Mistborn, Hero of Ages- after a long contemplation, I like this one better than the second for a few reasons- in the second the chemistry between Vin and Eland was off. They treated eachother like best friends, even when one of them had been gone in a long, life-threatening trip. The chemistry between two people in love wasn't there- they had the passion of a handshake. Here it makes more sense because they've now been in the relationship for a while, but it wasn't the case in the other book.

Then there's E's change- I think that his personality change was a bit too fast. And I'm not sure that I agree with the characters' assertions that in desperate times they need an emperor and not a council. The reasoning for it is sound in this story, but I still feel uncomfortable with it.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:03 pm

Re-reading Path of Daggers book 8 in Wheel of Time.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sat Nov 27, 2010 2:15 pm

So I finished Assassin's Apprentice the other day, and man. I loved that book from beginning to end; I don't think there's a single thing I would have changed. It made me cry three times, it was refreshing, I couldn't tell what was going to happen.... Basically, this is the fantasy I'd forgotten could exist in the mountains of boring fantasy tomes that take forever to get to the good stuff.

Speaking of which, I think I'll pick up Wheel of Time book 6 again next week. Maybe I'll actually finish it now.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner