What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Sat Sep 25, 2010 12:53 pm

Just finished Fairest by Gail Carson Levine this morning. Somehow I blew through it in less than 24 hours. I guess I loved it. XD
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:35 am

Atria35 (post: 1426562) wrote:I wish I could say the same. I think it's decent- there are bits that don't jive with me, I don't agree with, and bits that really resonate. But overall I find it a mediocre reading experience.

You might find it interesting to listen to at least some of the Radio Theater audiobook of Screwtape Letters. I'm listening to that now with my family, and Andy Serkis does an awesome job as Screwtape.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:02 am

Thomas Hobbes - Leviathan

Just as :shake: as last time.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Mon Sep 27, 2010 7:21 am

Just finished Dresden Files book White Night. Loved it as always, though I'm having a hard time picking a favorite in this series. I like events and characters, but I don't really find myself able to pick a complete book.

Also working on The Time Traveller's Guide to Medievil Europe. Interesting book as part of the new movement of historians that feel that the only way that history will ever be relevant and really sink into people is if they find that they are able to actually experience it. Lovely concept, and the book treats the time period as a point that one can travel to as a tourist, describing everything in wonderful detail. Excellent book.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:52 am

Well, I'm in the process of reading Mere Christianity and Pendragon- I'm not sure I agree with everything that Lewis says in "Mere Christianity", and I've figured out out more of what I don't care for in Pendragon- the author fails hard as writing a compelling first-person narrative. They write it like it was originally third-person and then scratched out "he" and wrote "I". People don't write letters like this boy does.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:14 am

Actually, what you're getting is two stories for the price of one, Atria. [spoiler]Beginning with the second book, the stuff that happens on Second Earth starts to matter way more. (Especially halfway through the series!)[/spoiler]
Anyway, started Halo by Alexandro Adornetto. This has nothing to do with the game. It's about three angels who come to our world on a mission.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:03 pm

^ If it starts catching my attention. It's surprisingly difficult to get into.

The Graveyard Book- decided to hop onto this pop-culture phenomina and see what the fuss was about. What a fantastic book! Well-written, interesting premise, good characters, and overall a dark but fun ride. I am enamored by it. Now I just need to get my hands on Coraline....
Atria35

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:29 pm

G.W. Leibniz - Monadology

An absolutely stunning, beautiful system of metaphysics...brilliant work.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Wed Sep 29, 2010 3:17 pm

Started Ella Enchanted (book, not movie)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Sep 29, 2010 5:18 pm

After a couple months' hiatus (I got distracted somehow), I've gotten back to Glen Cook's The Black Company, and remembered why I love this series. I'm now on book 3 (I know, I got distracted early, but it's not likely to happen again), The White Rose.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Sep 29, 2010 8:39 pm

Just finished a book called Flight 653 from Austin. It's actually the true story of a local author where I live. He's a Christian and his ailing daughter got caught up in New Age holistic medicine and nearly dried from it. Her "doctor" was trying to cure shriveled up kidneys with magic rocks and positive thinking. Had me crying a few times. I'm gonna get back into Glenn Beck's The Overton Window.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:35 am

Started reading Firestar's Quest today.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:56 pm

Shao Feng-Li wrote:I'm gonna get back into Glenn Beck's The Overton Window.

Ryan, if you're reading this, not a word. Not. One. Word.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby ich1990 » Thu Sep 30, 2010 5:59 pm

“Your Money or Your Lifeâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Mr. Hat'n'Clogs » Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:51 pm

Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes

Since I'm a library aide I have to read a banned book and write about it, so I obviously chose the above. This is not a happy book, but it is a really good book.
Mr. Hat'n'Clogs

Postby Icarus » Thu Sep 30, 2010 9:53 pm

Currently reading Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, Eco's The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, and Kelly Armstrong's Exit Strategy.

The first and last because Eco is a slow read, and I'm not prepared to spend two months reading just one book.
The Forsworn War of 34

††
Icarus

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:31 pm

Htom Sirveaux (post: 1428153) wrote:Ryan, if you're reading this, not a word. Not. One. Word.

I take it he doesn't like thrillers written by crazy Mormons?
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bigsleepj » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:06 am

I'm currently reading Master and Commander by Patrick O'Brian. Some of you may dimly remember the movie.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Atria35 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Just finished The Poinsonwood Bible. Powerful stuff. If you aren't into the politics of Africa and how it affects these girls (how it does doesn't appear until later in the book, but their interpersonal relationships and history also drive them into it headlong) then this might not be the book for you. However, I found it to be interesting, heartbreaking, and overall just an involving read.

Coraline-..... I liked the movie just a bit better. It seemed to show things more than the book did. And I overall preferred The Graveyard Book. Not bad, but not the best, either.
Atria35

Postby Sheenar » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Reading Teamwork: A Dog Training Manual for People with Disabilities, an excellent read so far about understanding dog behavior, using praise and food rewards appropriately, and teaching obedience commands. I read the Teamwork II book before this one (out of order, I know) --that one is specifically about training service dog tasks such as retrieval, opening doors/drawers, tugging clothing, light switches, etc. These two books are "homework" from Handsome's trainer. :D

Also re-reading Hind's Feet in High Places. Gosh, I love this book so much. I don't agree with the author's interpretation of the Song of Solomon, but the book overall is a beautiful allegory of the Christian life --and I love how Much Afraid, the main character --through suffering and a long journey involving sacrifices and dying to her desires and self along the way --is given hind's feet and a new name.
"Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." 2 Corinthians 4:16-18

"Since the creation of the Internet, the Earth's rotation has been fueled, primarily, by the collective spinning of English teachers in their graves."
Sheenar

Postby Okami » Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

Currently reading Craig Gross' "The Gutter" and also John Acuff's "Stuff Christians Like."

On top of these, I just bought Rob Bell's "Drops Like Stars"...I finally found a miniature edition to the huge $35 version. For $20, I couldn't resist! :D
~*~ Blessed to be Ryosuke's wife!
"We will be her church, the body of Christ coming alive to
meet her needs, to write love on her arms." ~ Jamie Tworkowski
Okami

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Oct 03, 2010 1:21 pm

Finished The Handmaid's Tale. I really liked it! Totally not my area of interest, since I am absolutely sick and tired of the whole feminist movement (*is a girl, in case anyone was wondering*). But I really liked the writing style and the speculative...ness <_<
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Cognitive Gear » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:25 pm

Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro

I really don't read a whole lot of fiction, as I tend to not get drawn into written word very easily. Despite this, Never Let Me Go has grabbed me and I find myself eager to continue reading it. From the cover, title, and first few pages I thought that I had picked up the wrong book and gotten myself into some teen romance novel, but was pleased to find that it is just elegant in how it weaves the genre into the narrative. I'll refrain from saying what, as this is really one of those books where the less you know going in, the better. (though the writing is more than solid enough to make up for being spoiled on it as I was.)

Go read it.
[font="Tahoma"][SIZE="2"]"It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things."

-Terry Pratchett[/SIZE][/font]
Cognitive Gear

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:42 pm

since I am absolutely sick and tired of the whole feminist movement (*is a girl, in case anyone was wondering*).

You and me would be friends IRL XD
Shao Feng-Li

Postby CrystalChalice » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:39 am

Currently reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye by Joshua Harris
Whatever the season in life, the RIGHT attitude makes all the difference.

"I will lift up mine eyes unto the hills, from whence cometh my help. My help cometh from the LORD, which made heaven and earth."
Psalm 121:1-2

"Though our paths may have diverged, you must continue to live out your life with all your might; you must never consider your own life to be something insignificant, and you must never forget about the friends whom you loved for as long as you live."
The Third Rule of Fairy Tail

"Mistakes are not shackles that halt one from stepping forward. Rather, they are that which sustain and grow one's heart.
Mavis Vermilion, Fairy Tail

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.
Avatar Aang, The Legend of Korra
CrystalChalice

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:39 pm

Just finished Dragonquest by Anne McCaffrey.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Tue Oct 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Back onto Mere Christianity and finding it even more headshaking as I go. It has a lot of bad logic and outdated social beliefs, and a lot of assumptions that he tries to pull off as facts. He is a good writer- I will admit, if I weren't thinking critically about this then I would be pulled in by his statements- but when examined carefully, his arguments and logic fail in many, many ways.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Tue Oct 05, 2010 5:22 pm

Started Point Blank by Anthony Horowitz. I'm beginning to like this Alex Rider kid.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Atria35 » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:57 am

Finished Mere Christianity- two stars out of five.

Since I'm into Bio, I decided that I should read the most influential work about it. That's right, Origin of the Species by Charles Darwin! And right after that, I'll be starting on The Descent of Man, also by Darwin.
Atria35

Postby rocklobster » Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:27 pm

[spoiler]Darwin was a closet racist[/spoiler]
Reading the Obama Diaries by Laura Ingraham. (Note: satire> This isn't really his diaries.)

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner