What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby ich1990 » Thu May 27, 2010 6:00 pm

[b]“The Roadâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Thu May 27, 2010 6:14 pm

Fablehaven: Keys to the demon prison by Brandon Mull.

Less then 200 pages from the end! Maybe I'll finish in less than a week!

(Yes I'm a slow reader.)
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri May 28, 2010 11:56 am

@ich1990: Oh, I loved The Road! One of the most amazing (if emotionally draining) works of fiction I've ever read. You should totally see the movie if you haven't already. It's incredibly accurate as a book-to-film translation.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri May 28, 2010 12:48 pm

A Mathematician's Lament by Paul Lockhart

If you care about math and haven't already read this, you should consider doing so. Especially since it is available online and is relatively short. Regardless of if you agree, it's worth considering.

You'll understand his argument a few sentences in, but yet briefer: Lockhart contends that our current model of math in schools does a disservice to the art of mathematics. I found many of the ideas interesting but resisted some of his conclusions. For one, I think he's far more optimistic about the average school student (and school) than I would be.

House of Chains by Steven Erikson

This didn't feel like the fourth novel of a series, much less Erikson's. A quarter of the book is devoted to one character. New characters and locations are introduced evenly. Basic concepts that readers should already know are explained. That's a change for the series.

Once things got back to problems of world-wide scope, things were mostly back to normal. But what I especially liked about this book is that despite being a chapter in a larger story, it had a definite theme. Even all of the ancient histories and secrets were tied into it and fully explained by the end. Enough of them that I can see why it would be appropriate for book six to introduce a new continent.

Also, this book managed something that rarely happens for me: a character went from being irritating and shallow to someone worth following. Plus, among the dozens of dead characters are plenty that I didn't care about, so future books will likely have improving casts.
uc pseudonym

Postby J.R. » Fri May 28, 2010 9:04 pm

Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis. I've read it before but I love the book.

House of Leaves
by Mark Danielewski. Has been a really interesting read so far.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Roberts » Sat May 29, 2010 9:40 am

uc pseudonym (post: 1397185) wrote:House of Chains by Steven Erikson...
...Also, this book managed something that rarely happens for me: a character went from being irritating and shallow to someone worth following...
[spoiler]Karsa Orlong ]
I just finished reading Reaper's Gale (book 7). A part of me wants to talk more about the series, but I don't want to inadvertently spoil anything while I'm at it.

Hopefully you enjoy the succeeding books as much as I have. :thumb:
Roberts

Postby Blacklight » Sat May 29, 2010 8:51 pm

The Spiderwick Chronicles ("The Completely Fantastical Version", a compilation of all five books, just 'cuz... I decided to read it. The movie wasn't so great.)

Eragon (Because I borrowed the book from my cousin years ago, and I decided to get it from the library to finish it... Yes, I also saw the movie, which is really the main reason. Not that it's my favorite movie... or book so far...)

The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes (... Since seeing the movie (Excellent movie, by the way) I wanted to read Sherlock Holmes. It's interesting so far.)

Artemis Fowl (Another book series I started a ways back and never finished. Haven't begun to read it at this point.)

A book that I shall not name because I am beginning to regret checking it out in the first place. (Just... blah, but I'm almost halfway through it, hoping that maybe it wont be a complete waste.)
[color="Blue"]@)[/color][color="Green"]}~`,~[/color]
[font="Book Antiqua"][color="DeepSkyBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.[/color][/font]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

[color="Pink"]chatbot 03:36 - Blacklight asks, are you sane?
My answer: It's hard to say, really.[/color]
Blacklight

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun May 30, 2010 3:26 pm

J.R. wrote:[color="Blue"]House[/color][<-fixed] of Leaves by Mark Danielewski. Has been a really interesting read so far.

Aw, that's my stuff, bro. :thumb: One of my absolute favorite books. I can tell you there's gonna be some slow parts, but when you hit those, what's important is that you pay attention not so much to what the text says as what it's doing. You're gonna have some fun.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby KagayakiWashi » Sun May 30, 2010 5:21 pm

"Brucko" by Bruce Olsen. It's an amazing missionary biography about this 19-year old kid who goes to a super hostile group of Indians. His account is so challenging and really shows God's Hand working in every detail of his journey!
"To be a good listener, you must acquire a musical culture...you must be familiar with the history and development of music, you must listen...to receive music you have to open your ears and wait for the music, you must believe that it is something you need ...to listen is an effort, and just to hear has no merit. A duck hears also." - Igor Stravinsky
Are you hurting? Struggling with something? Need an ear? Check out The Hopeline! https://www.thehopeline.com/CSDefault.aspx
The Blog! http://kagayakiwashi.livejournal.com/
KagayakiWashi

Location: Constantly chasing the dragonfly of love....or something like that

Postby That Dude » Sun May 30, 2010 5:28 pm

KagayakiWashi (post: 1397718) wrote:"Brucko" by Bruce Olsen. It's an amazing missionary biography about this 19-year old kid who goes to a super hostile group of Indians. His account is so challenging and really shows God's Hand working in every detail of his journey!

Oh man, I love that book! It kinda helped shape some of my younger years!
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon May 31, 2010 12:37 pm

To Darkness Fled by Jill Williamson

You might think I'm lying to myself, but I really don't like to be critical of speculative fiction by other Christians. In this case, my desire to support a struggling industry outweighed my reservations about the first book. So I was planning to say that the book was decently written but depressing to me.

Part way through, there is an evil priest repeating a magic chant to summon a demon or evil spirit. Three characters intend to rebuke the demon in the names of their world's equivalent of God and Jesus. They do this by chanting in the ancient language, later translated as basically the Shema. Three of them only seem to be enough to bother the demon since the priest is still chanting, but when the main character joins them, it disperses into a cloud of mist.

I'm not twisting or mocking here. That's really what happens. In a book for an audience that will get up in arms over someone saying "Oh my God" because it's taking the Lord's name in vain.

Also, when the main character is at his lowest emotional point, Jesus totally breaks through a window and converts him. To be fair, I'm mocking a little bit here since this is suggested to be a vision. But the window stays shattered in real life, so only a bit.

Roberts wrote:[spoiler]Karsa Orlong ]
I just finished reading Reaper's Gale (book 7). A part of me wants to talk more about the series, but I don't want to inadvertently spoil anything while I'm at it.

Hopefully you enjoy the succeeding books as much as I have. :thumb:

I'm sure I'll enjoy them, provided that I can continue to get my hands on them when I have enough time. Things in my life may change in such a way as to make this difficult.

I'd like to discuss the series too (no one where I live reads them that I'd want to talk to), but I don't know how much you can discuss with someone three books behind you. If you like, I have a question with spoilers implicit in the answer, so you can't ruin anything if you can answer the question at all:

Is the Crippled God the ultimate antagonist of the series? He's powerful enough to be, but I feel like it's out of place for the Malazan series to have a villain that's so utterly evil. This is a major issue for me, especially with all the characters suggesting that everything in the world is just nature attempting to create balance in all things.
uc pseudonym

Postby Nate » Mon May 31, 2010 1:30 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Also, when the main character is at his lowest emotional point, Jesus totally breaks through a window and converts him.

That would be awesome if Jesus said "OH YEAH!" when he busted through the window.

As part of my continued Earthbound reading, I'm on Agota Kristof's trilogy, The Notebook, The Proof, and The Third Lie. I'm only about halfway through the second book, but I've got to say, already these books are fantastic. The main characters, Lucas and Claus, are horrible people and yet at the same time, admirable people. It's hard to explain, really. They do terrible things, but they also do everything they can to help those who are less fortunate. They seem emotionless, but care deeply about others.

There is also an interesting perspective change from the first to the second book. The first book is told in first person perspective by Lucas and Claus, who are twins, so the words "I" or "me" are never used, it's always "we" or "us." However the second book shifts to third person, since (slight spoiler?) Lucas and Claus go their separate ways at the end of the first book, so the second starts out focusing on Lucas.

So yeah, I'm really liking this, and I can see the effect it had on Itoi for making Mother 3 outside of just the obvious names of Lucas and Claus.

Ezekiel 23:20
Nate

Postby Hohenheim » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:10 pm

Because I read the Doc Jensen recap of the 'Lost' finale, I was inspired to read some of the books that the finale recap alluded to. They were:

The Little Prince - A great and timeless work for both young and old. It tells of the importance of asking questions, about how the greatest mysteries are more important than what most consider 'serious' business, etc.

Haroun and the Sea of Stories - Another great book. It speaks to how important the art of storytelling is in life. It is a great work of imagination, of light-heartedness and fantasy. It is also very witty, a great tale of optimism. I recommend it to anyone with a love for works of fantasy.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Postby Davidizer13 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:17 pm

I'm about 200-250 pages into Fever Crumb by Philip Reeve. It's a prequel to the Mortal Engines books, focusing on a time period before the Traction Era. So far, it's been as good as the better books in the series; about on par with Mortal Engines, but not quite as good as A Darkling Plain, but it has a very different (I'd dare say better) feel than any of them. It's whet my appetite for its sequel, A Web of Air, which hasn't shown up in the US yet.

In other words, it's a great read, especially if you've read the rest of the series, but it still stands on its own pretty well.
We are loved even though we suck.

Psalms 37:37 (NHEB)
Mark the perfect man, and see the upright, for there is a future for the man of peace.
Davidizer13

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:13 pm

Just started Xenocide, book 3 of the Ender's Game books by Orson Scott Card
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:19 pm

Illium, by Dan Simmons. If you love Shakespeare, The Illiad, and space opera science fiction, then you'll love this book.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Nate » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:38 pm

Well, finished The Third Lie today and um...wow. That was crazy.

There was another perspective shift after the second book, and so the third book starts out with Lucas narrating in first person, but halfway it switches to someone else (but stays first person). It was unexpected, a bit confusing at first, but very well done and really kind of depressing. It was good. Really good.

But this'll probably be my last post in this thread for a while as, well, I've got nothing else to read now. XD

Nate

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:30 pm

The Unwritten by Mike Carey

At first this seemed like it was about an author who creates a Harry Potter knockoff series with the main character named after his son, then vanishes and leaves his son to deal with the potential reality that the stories are becoming real. That's the dust jacket premise.

It is much more than that. This is only the introduction to the idea that not only have all the great masters of storytelling (Milton, Kipling, and Clemens make flashback appearances) actually shaped the world, there are immortal (and possibly literary) individuals that have a vested interest in controlling what stories the world knows.

Unfortunately, this is only a slim first volume. I'll have to wait until the story is completed to see how well it really pulls this off. Right now it seems to be aiming high to say something about the way human beings are shaped by the stories they tell themselves.
uc pseudonym

Postby J.R. » Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:45 pm

Quiet Strength - Tony Dungy

Really good stuff. Very inspiring.
Nothing that you have not given away will ever really be yours.
J.R.

Postby Atria35 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 2:39 pm

The Artemis Fowl series. Getting ready for the last book to come out this summer, since my friend is a HUGE fan. And so am I, actually. It's a fun series.
Atria35

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:30 am

I went on a long, boring trip, so I managed to get to page 600 of Lord of Chaos, the sixth Wheel of Time book (which is far too long). Finally, after this long, things are actually starting to happen, and I actually was surprised! Jordan gets props for accomplishing that, but he gets them taken away again for taking this long to do so.

I also picked up a collection of Sherlock Holmes stories, partly because I have to read The Hound of the Baskervilles for school - again. :eyeroll: I must say, though Holmes is always ingenious and fun, Baskervilles really shines out in comparison to these minor cases.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:14 am

started A Game of Thrones, the first book in George R.R. Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. Is it just me, or does A Song of Ice and Fire sound like a title for an epic poem? When I saw that title on TV Tropes, I thought "the title alone sounds good!"
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:07 am

Starting Paradise Lost

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Adie » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:20 am

Finished The Scarlet Letter. It was amazing -- I am definitely adding it to my list of favorite books.

Now I am going to tackle the unabridged version of The Count of Monte Cristo. I'm a slow reader, so it's probably going to take me a very long time to finish it. ^^; But I'm still excited to read it since it's considered such a classic~
Adie

Postby Radical Dreamer » Fri Jun 11, 2010 12:41 am

Finished I am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to be Your Class President today! This is like, the third or fourth time that I am highly recommending this book. It is so fantastic. XDD

Starting The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart next, I think!
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby LadyRushia » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:57 am

Starting The Mysterious Benedict Society by Trenton Lee Stewart next, I think!

You don't think. You are. Prepare yourself for epic.

To contribute to this thread, I finished reading Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows a couple days ago. Next on my list is Hero, Second Class.
Fanfiction (updated 1/1/11)-- Lucky Star--Ginsaki ch. 4
[color="Magenta"]Sometimes I post things.[/color]
Image Image Image
LadyRushia

Postby Nate » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:44 am

Adie wrote:Finished The Scarlet Letter.

Nate

Postby ich1990 » Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:56 pm

[b]“The Meaning of Jesus: Two Visionsâ€
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby FllMtl Novelist » Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:50 pm

I'm trying to get through The Alchemyst. This is, I think, going to be the last contemporary fantasy title I read for a very long time. I'm just sick of the inevitable "But magic isn't REAL...Is it?" And "You see, normal people are already ignorant, but we use [enter magical substance here] to keep them from seeing all the magical stuff!"

Maybe somebody, somewhere, will write a contemporary fantasy where the protagonist is a ditz who goes, "Magic? Okay!"
Hats wrote:"Frodo! Cast off your [s]sins[/s] into the fire!"

EllaEdric 06:53 -IM SO UNEQUIPPED TO BE A MAN ITS NOT EVEN FUNNY.
FllMtl Novelist

Postby Hohenheim » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:07 pm

Surprised by Hope: Rethinking the Church, the Resurrection, and the Mission of the Church, by N.T. Wright.

I loved this book. Within it, famed New Testament scholar N.T. Wright argues that current conceptions held by Christians of a disembodied heaven and hell are not biblically accurate. Instead, he claims that the Christian hope is more focused on, in his own words, life after life after death. In any event, Wright backs up this proposal with good, solid evidence. The only complaint might be that some of his ideas should be taken with a grain of salt, as not all of these side premises are given as much argument as the main premise (though Wright does acknowledge that his side points are more based on his own views, and that they may vary across church denominations, etc.). Even so, this book is wonderful, and even for those who disagree with it, it will challenge one's current views on what the afterlife is all about. I recommend it to anyone wondering what the real Christian hope is for life.
[font="Arial Black"]"But I don't want comfort. I want God, I want poetry, I want real danger, I want freedom, I want goodness." - excerpt from the novel Brave New World[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Is all this striving after ultimate meaning a massive delusion, a gigantic wish-fulfillment?...Could our symbol-rich world be of interest only to a pitiless nihilist? I do not think so." - Simon Conway Morris[/font]

[font="Century Gothic"]"Faith seeks understanding. I do not seek to understand that I may believe, but I believe in order to understand." - St. Anselm of Canterbury[/font]
Hohenheim

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner