What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Silent Seraph » Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:52 pm

finishing City of Ember series (last book) then moving on to Cirque du Freak series thanks to you Chaos Aroura Thanks so far its a good start and i'm only in 20 pages!
Life verse. Corinthians 9:27 [color="Cyan"]No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.[/color]

[color="Cyan"]If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
Hei (Darker Than Black)[/color]

God. Family. Athletics.

[color="Cyan"][font="Arial Black"]M.O.E.S.-[/font][/color]Safe from the Scroll

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators and Administrators.
Silent Seraph

Postby SeraphicCharm » Wed Dec 23, 2009 1:32 pm

rocklobster (post: 1361839) wrote:Now reading the first Warriors book, Into the Wild.

ooh, I've been thinking about reading that one for some time now....please tell me what you think of it!
SeraphicCharm

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Currently reading Great Expectations by Charles Dickens for my English class...
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby That Dude » Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:35 am

I just started reading "Tuck" by Stephen Lawhead, the last book in the King Raven trilogy. I'm enjoying it so far, it's pace has been twice as quick as the other two in the series...Which would only make sence.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:51 pm

I'm currently reading The Golem's Eye, the second book in Jonathan Stroud's Bartimaeus Trilogy.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Winry » Sun Dec 27, 2009 5:13 pm

Song in the Silence by Elizabeth Kerner - so far just ok hope it gets better =)
"My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." 2 Corinthians 12:9

Phantom_Sorano 12:29 - Congrats Winry, you are the first CAA Chat Survivor.
Winry

Postby That Dude » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:36 pm

I just started "The Sinfulness Of Sin" by Ralph Venning. It's nice to have a 300 year old breath of fresh air every once in a while. Of course it deals with and confronts head on what sin is and why it's so bad. Something many people could stand to hear.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby rocklobster » Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:59 pm

Just started Fire and Ice by Erin Hunter.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:18 am

Finished The Cossacks a while ago. My experience with it was like most of my experiences with Russian novels from the 1800s - a lot of it seemed kind of pointless or over my head, yet somehow I ended up liking it a whole lot anyway for no particular reason I can pinpoint. .____.

And I gave up on Sylvia Plath, because poetry really isn't my forte <_<

I'm now reading book 12 of the Series of Unfortunate Events by Lemony Snicket, which is called The Penultimate Peril. So close to the end, yet still filled with so many mysteries! I enjoyed being able to read three of the chapters out of sequence because of what Snicket said in his Not A Chapter. Heehee, that had me giggling more than a sane person should. So did the backwards letters that made me rush into the bathroom and hold up the book in front of the mirror <3
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:53 am

I'm reading Firewing by Kenneth Oppel.
Oh and the_wolf's_howl, just wait. The final book's great too.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ST. Attidude » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 pm

The Consumer Society reader...It's got a long yet interesting intro.
[color="Magenta"]@[/color][color="Red"])}[/color][color="DarkGreen"]~[/color][color="Green"]`,[/color][color="Lime"]~[/color] [color="LightBlue"]Carry This Rose In Your Sig, [color="Red"]As Thanks,[/color] [color="LightBlue"]To All The CAA Moderators[/color][/color]
______
[color="Navy"]ST[/color][color="Blue"].[/color][color="RoyalBlue"] Attidude's[/color][color="DeepSkyBlue"].[/color][color="LightBlue"].[/color].Portfolio Site, Twitter,
DeviantArt page
ST. Attidude

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:00 pm

In preparing to give a lecture, I am rereading bits of Political Liberalism by John Rawls. :?: Rawls is a smart man and has some intriguing ideas, but frankly, the core concepts of his thought represent many of the things I loathe most about contemporary, liberal American political philosophy: public versus private reason, allowance of reasonable comprehensive doctrines into political life, principles of justice supported by an overlapping consensus, buttressed by his contract theory (the "original position"). :hits_self

Despite this, I do enjoy, on a certain level, reading ppl that I disagree w/. It'll be fun to teach...should the students remain conscious. Hope so, it is an honors course :sweat:
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:19 am

Nearly done with The Penultimate Peril! Dude, this is so exciting I can hardly contain myself. I know the last one's going to be a blast.

I've also picked The Three Musketeers up again. I stopped somewhere in the middle, so it took me a little while to get back up to speed on what was happening, but I think I remember now. Good ole ridiculous French chivalry! :eyeroll:
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:58 am

Just started Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Silent Seraph » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:28 pm

starting Leviathan by Scott Westerfield, its a alternate-history fiction story and so far its pretty good
Life verse. Corinthians 9:27 [color="Cyan"]No, I strike a blow to my body and make it my slave so that after I have preached to others, I myself will not be disqualified for the prize.[/color]

[color="Cyan"]If you pretend to feel a certain way, the feeling can become genuine all by accident.
Hei (Darker Than Black)[/color]

God. Family. Athletics.

[color="Cyan"][font="Arial Black"]M.O.E.S.-[/font][/color]Safe from the Scroll

[color="Red"]@)[/color][color="Lime"]}~`,~[/color] Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators and Administrators.
Silent Seraph

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:44 pm

Silent Seraph (post: 1364343) wrote:starting Leviathan by Scott Westerfield

For a rollicking good time, read Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan :evil:. Seriously, it will make you hate your own language.

When I have a little time before bed at night, I am reading On Being Catholic by Thomas Howard. It's fabulous and inspiring. Pretty soon, though, I'll have to start reading philosophy books for school.
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:07 pm

Just started Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry. For a book that's supposed to be a sequel to The Giver, it doesn't seem like one. Everything seems different and less inviting. That's not to say I'm not enjoying it, because I am.
And now I'm done with it and ready for the concluding book in the trilogy, The Messenger. Unfortunately, I have another HUGE Terry Goodkind book to read first called Blood of the Fold.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby GhostontheNet » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:10 am

Recently, I finished Drumming at the Edge of Magic: A Journey Into the Spirit of Percussion by Mickey Hart. I'm currently working on Jesus the Sage: The Pilgrimage of Wisdom by Ben Witherington III.
GhostontheNet

Postby TheSubtleDoctor » Wed Jan 13, 2010 6:52 am

Chapter 3 of Charles Taylor's "Sources of the Self" for a discussion group. I say group, but it's really just me and my English professor from undergrad. It's a fascinating read, actually. Taylor's main project is to flesh out his theory of identity, which he believes is inseperable from a network of qualitative distinctions (wolrdview) and our own (partly discovered, partly created) answers to inescapable, not to mention ontologically real, questions about the good (ethics). In short: you are what is important to you and your relation to it. He explicates it in a pretty neat way, and he has some good criticisms of naturalism (one can't have enough of 'em!).
TheSubtleDoctor

Postby rocklobster » Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:23 pm

Just finished Blood of the Fold by Terry Goodkind. Now I'm reading The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan. It's the first in the Ranger's Apprentice series.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:17 am

rocklobster (post: 1364232) wrote:Just started Dragon Rider by Cornelia Funke.

I've been wondering whether that would be worth reading. What was your opinion of it?

I'm now reading The End by Lemony Snicket (which has to have the most amazing blurb I've ever seen on any book ever). It...doesn't feel like the end! And I don't want it to be over! :waah!:

And still making my way through The Three Musketeers. Man, d'Artagnan annoys me more and more with each chapter. I am so sick of his stupidity when it comes to women who are obviously manipulating him :shake:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Bobtheduck » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:29 am

Sun Tzu's art of war. I don't know why I deluded myself into thinking it was really more than instruction on how to win a war, and a frank one at that, but... Interesting so far. Chapters 1-4 went by pretty quick, so this is either a really short book or I have an abridged version...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:07 pm

the_wolfs_howl: It was very good and would make a good Pixar movie. Funke has a very elegant style of writing. Since you seem to be a dragon fan, I recommend it.
I am now reading the latest Robin Cook novel, Intervention.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby yukoxholic » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:23 pm

The Onion Girl - Charles de Lint
yukoxholic

Postby KhakiBlueSocks » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:57 pm

[SIZE="4"][color="RoyalBlue"][font="Trebuchet MS"]"Auntie Mame" by Patrick Dennis--downloaded to Kindal Books. I'm also watching the movie which is outstanding![/font][/color][/SIZE]
Joshua: Hebrew -The LORD is Salvation

" wrote:RustyClaymore 11:27 - Ah yes, Socks is the single raindrop responsible for the flood. XD

Check out my new anime review blog, "The Cajun Samurai"

http://thecajunsamurai.wordpress.com/
KhakiBlueSocks

Postby rocklobster » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:06 pm

I'm starting Robert E. Howard's The Essential Conan. As in Conan the Barbarian.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Jan 19, 2010 7:41 pm

rocklobster (post: 1367318) wrote:I'm starting Robert E. Howard's The Essential Conan. As in Conan the Barbarian.

Not to be confused with "Conan the Funny" ;) :P

I rather liked Howard's Conan stories. They have aged very well and generally read very quickly. Great pulp stories.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:18 am

Finished The End. GWAAAAAA!!!! WHAT AN AWESOME SERIES!!! :thumb: Definitely recommend A Series of Unfortunate Events to anyone who likes weird humor (of the ballerinas-digging-a-hole-in-a-darkened-park variety), extensive word definitions, and mysteries that remain mysterious even after you've discovered lots of things about them. The end of The End was totally not what I was expecting, but it fit amazingly well, and I feel very satisfied.

So now I'm reading Lemony Snicket: An Unauthorized Autobiography!!! It's proving to be just as hilarious and just as mysterious as the series, and is going by much too fast :sniffle:

The Three Musketeers has been getting much better of late, and the plot seems to thicken with every page. Yet I'm sitting here scratching my head over why it's called the three musketeers when there's actually four of them :eyebrow:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Jan 22, 2010 4:08 am

the_wolfs_howl (post: 1367670) wrote:Finished The End. GWAAAAAA!!!! WHAT AN AWESOME SERIES!!! :thumb: Definitely recommend A Series of Unfortunate Events to anyone who likes weird humor (of the ballerinas-digging-a-hole-in-a-darkened-park variety), extensive word definitions, and mysteries that remain mysterious even after you've discovered lots of things about them. The end of The End was totally not what I was expecting, but it fit amazingly well, and I feel very satisfied.

So now I'm reading Lemony Snicket: An Unauthorized Autobiography!!! It's proving to be just as hilarious and just as mysterious as the series, and is going by much too fast :sniffle:

The Three Musketeers has been getting much better of late, and the plot seems to thicken with every page. Yet I'm sitting here scratching my head over why it's called the three musketeers when there's actually four of them :eyebrow:

Because Dartangan (or however you spell his name) was really more of an apprentice. If you want to see him as a full-fledged musketeer, read The Count of Monte Crisco.
Anyway, I'm starting the final Pendragon book today. It's called The Soldiers of Halla.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:46 pm

Memories of Ice by Steven Erikson

This book reminds me of all the reasons I enjoy long-form literature. Multiple armies clash across a continent-wide empire that is itself only a pawn in the game of the overall antagonist. The final battle includes a half-dozen different things that could have been dues ex machina in a smaller story. Also, anyone who feels Robert Jordan's pacing isn't too slow needs to read some Erikson.

That having been said, after reading three 250k+ tomes back to back, I need a change. I could really use some science-related nonfiction, if anyone has some suggestions. For the moment I'm without reading material.
uc pseudonym

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner