What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Syreth » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:23 am

Nicomachean Ethics - Aristotle
Syreth

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 06, 2009 1:34 pm

Sadly, my request for KJ Parker's Engineer trilogy is still unanswered. Interlibrary loan may have failed me for the first time in my life. Meanwhile, I can't even go with my backup choice of Eragon (I need to read it so I can see if it is as abysmal as some people claim) because it is checked out. That is too bad, because I have just completed...

Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson

As a whole I enjoyed this book as an introduction to the entire series, but I didn't get into it immediately. It follows the usual fantasy practice of throwing a massive number of new names and ideas at you from the start, but it does so without giving you a solid narrative or meaningful bearings. Eventually it became enjoyable, but I don't think the novel puts its best foot forward.

The plot and world-building are good, but I felt the characters were weak. I typically feel that characters are too mercurial - this is quite a few steps above the usual. Even by the end of the book I didn't feel like anyone had a consistent personality, so my favorite is actually Circle Breaker, a nameless and faceless spy. Adjust that hat, Circle Breaker.

It's also a much higher-powered world than I've just been reading, especially compared to something like George RR Martin. The gods themselves are only about in the middle of the power hierarchy. I wish there was more information about how that operates, because it plays a fairly critical role in the plot and it's frustrating when someone just throws out a demon that's apparently capable of going toe to toe with Anomander Rake, one of the more vaunted characters.

All in all, enjoyable, but I won't have a full opinion about the series until the second book. The author stated in an interview that his writing style changed significantly between books, and it also jumps to a completely different place and time in the world. I'm not sure I think the idea of telling a narrative out of order will work in this case, but I'm willing to give it a try.
uc pseudonym

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:06 pm

Eragon's not abysmal, it's just very, very, very derivative. Forget that The Lord of the Rings and Star Wars ever existed, and you're solid.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:51 pm

Blindness by Jose Saramago.

All I can say is, wow.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Sat Nov 07, 2009 5:47 am

The first book in the Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind. It's called Wizard's First Rule. This series is also the basis for the TV series, Legend of the Seeker.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby bigsleepj » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:09 am

Shao Feng-Li (post: 1354645) wrote:Blindness by Jose Saramago.

All I can say is, wow.

That certainly was not what fans said of the recent movie adaptation. ;)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:29 am

going to read the hobbit for the second time ^^
then most likely another Ray Bradbury book.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Sat Nov 07, 2009 11:35 pm

[quote="bigsleepj (post: 1354680)"]That certainly was not what fans said of the recent movie adaptation. ]

Oh man, I didn't even realize that that was already out. Rotten Tomatoes has it at 41% :\
Shao Feng-Li

Postby wildpurplechild » Mon Nov 09, 2009 5:25 pm

City of Bones by Cassandra Clare. So far, I like it, it evens mentions manga a couple times!
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:40 pm

The Time-Traveller's Wife by Audrey Nieffenegger.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby wildpurplechild » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:37 pm

I'm also reading Watership Down. That's right, the bunny book!
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby Barracuda777 » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:43 pm

im actually reading "Captivating " by john eldgridge.
PSN ID : Baracuda777
Barracuda777

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:47 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1354540) wrote: Meanwhile, I can't even go with my backup choice of Eragon (I need to read it so I can see if it is as abysmal as some people claim) because it is checked out.

My suggestion? Skim the first 100 pages or so, then it gets a bit more interesting. I don't think the first book is quite as bad as most people say, but it's not very original, and after that, what little potential the series had slipped away almost immediately.

I'm getting through The Hound of the Baskervilles quite swiftly, because I want to finish it before I watch the movie. I'm also nearing the end of The Sight.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:29 pm

Right now I am starting Percy Jackson and the Olympians the Lightning thief
after that I will be reading the Hobbit for the second.
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:01 pm

The Shunning by Beverly Lewis

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:43 pm

Clive Barker's The Thief of Always 44
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby That Dude » Sun Nov 15, 2009 7:52 pm

I'm currently reading...

Humility -by- Andrew Murrey.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 19, 2009 7:23 am

Finished The Hound of the Baskervilles, still reading The Sight, and I've started Nine Princes of Amber by somebodyorother Zelazny (sweet name, huh? :P)

Nine Princes of Amber is the perfect example of getting a story off to a running start. The main character is actually proactive, not afraid to get out and do things, and he plays a very dangerous game by not letting on to anyone that he has amnesia and can't even remember who he is, but making them think he does. Very entertaining, though it'll almost be a disappointment to see him get his memory back.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 22, 2009 5:51 am

I just finished The Giver. Really enjoyed it too. I am now no longer out of the loop about this much-hyped book.
I am now reading The Gathering Storm.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby wildpurplechild » Tue Nov 24, 2009 3:20 pm

City of Ashes, sequel of City of Bones. By Cassandra Clare. I'm not very far into it, but I liked the first, and so far it's good.
wildpurplechild

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:36 pm

Am currently on The Last Continent in my Discworld reading. Good ol' Rincewind.

As a side note, I'm somewhat tempted to order one of those 8-suit Fat Pack playing card decks from the UK just so I could play Cripple Mr. Onion if I ever really wanted to, but $17 is more than I wanna spend on cards.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby livxamlis » Sat Nov 28, 2009 8:15 pm

i'm reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell (: about half way in so far..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][color="Red"][SIZE="3"][font="Century Gothic"]
If He can accept me... I don't see why others should judge me.. I am determined to succeed for him, and him alone[/font][/SIZE][/color]
----- [color="Red"]♥♥♥♡[/color] [SIZE="4"][color="Black"]Forever in love with God[/color][/SIZE] [color="Red"]♡♥♥♥[/color] -----
livxamlis

Postby uc pseudonym » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:17 pm

Life Sucks by Jessica Abel and Gabe Soria

This graphic novel won awards, I suspect because the dialogue captures casual conversation well. It's the tale of a vampire that works at a convenience store, who struggles with a mediocre life while around him the Goth population obsesses over vampire myths. I enjoyed the low-key aspects overall and while I wouldn't proclaim the book as incredible I have very little negative to say about it.

Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Unlike this book, where I have mostly negative things to say. However, I think it would be better if I didn't go into these in detail, as it wouldn't be anything new and probably wouldn't be good for me. I'm nearly at the end of the book and while I'm vaguely curious about what happens next, Wikipedia summaries will be sufficient.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:14 am

I'm currently attempting to re-read The Lord of the Rings by some J-Double-Are guy from England. Although I succeeded on my first attempt to read it, trying to get into it a second time has always been vaguely problematic (and with problematic I mean "new book I haven't read yet, so why read something I already know"). I suppose this is about my third attempt to read it for a second time. Let's see if I get past the first half of Fellowship this time.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Mithrandir » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:53 am

"This is the part where you pretend to add value." By Scott Adams.
Mithrandir

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Mon Nov 30, 2009 10:56 am

Logic Sword (post: 1358528) wrote:I love Lord of the Rings, I really ought to re-read it...

I'm currently reading "Pride and Prejudice" by Austen and "And Another Thing" by Eoin Colfer. I'm surprised to be enjoying the first, and the second is brilliant, not quite Douglas Adam's standard but still good.

I've been hearing mixed reviews about And Another Thing, everything from "great" to "good, but pointless" to "garbage." I might read it when I can find it at my local library.
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:26 pm

Just started Stephen King's newest book, Under the Dome

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby ich1990 » Mon Nov 30, 2009 7:40 pm

End the Fed” by Ron Paul

Let me first admit my biases. Anyone who has spoken about economics with me for any length of time knows that I dislike fiat currency and am more Austrian than Keynesian. I support commodity backed money (probably gold) and dislike the fact that the Federal Reserve has so much power and so few checks and balances. With that in mind, Ron Paul was preaching to the choir in “End the Fed”. I think he presents a solid, readable case, on moral, political, and economical levels for the dissolution of the Federal Reserve, and I couldn't agree with him more.

Politicians have a generally bad track record when it comes to books, however. They tend to have as many lies as a Michael Moore movie and even more contrived drama. In this respect, “End the Fed” is an improvement over what I have come to expect from this class of literature. While it pushes emotional buttons (bank bailouts, etc.), it also takes the time to make logical arguments and even supports those arguments with citations. The citations are a step up from “The Revolution: A Manifesto”, one of Paul's earlier books, which had none. Still, almost all the scholarly articles and books he references come from the Mises Institute, an organization of which Ron Paul is one of the top members. It would have been nice to see him use “neutral” sources for some of his claims. There are also many places he really should have given sources but didn't, which was a disappointment.

Another hindrance of “End the Fed” is that it is a relatively high level economics book. That is, although its target audience is the common man, it really isn't basic enough for someone with no background in economics to understand. I recommend that all people with aspirations of reading this book watch the short movie “Money as Debt” first in order to gain a basic understanding of the world banking system before they do so. Coming from Dr. Paul, this is par for the course. He is unique among politicians in that he is well versed in the topics he votes on, and that he expects his readers to put effort into becoming knowledgeable as well. He even provides a list of recommended reading at the end of this book to further this goal.

You can watch Money as Debt here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-2550156453790090544&hl=en#

Once again, Ron Paul delivers a solid book that lacks some of the polish and attention to detail that could really make it stand out. The core ideas and philosophies are great, and I wish more people would give them thought, but the essay writer in me can not help but cringe at the lack of citations. Still, if the recent Wall Street debacles has made you curious about the Fed and why exactly we are keeping it around, this book comes highly recommended. Watch the video I linked above, read “End the Fed”, then read another economics book from a Keynesian point of view. Learn some more, decide, and then vote. Consider it part of your civic duty. 8/10.

PM me for discussion.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:19 pm

Finally finished Nine Princes in Amber and The Sight. Not that they were bad or boring books, but they were just taking way too long to finish. I didn't plan sufficiently far ahead, so I'm forced to wait till my next books come along from the library and tide myself over with The Slippery Slope by Lemony Snicket.

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby rocklobster » Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:24 pm

Just finished Silverwing by Kenneth Oppel. This should be a movie! It would make an awesome cartoon. Now I'm reading the first book in the Bartimaeus Trilogy.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner