What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby wildpurplechild » Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:41 pm

The Squire, His Knight, and His Lady by Gerald Morris, second in the series. Pretty good so far, it's fantasy of course, a favorite genre of mine.
Heads up, I don't go on this site much these days...
The King is enthralled by your beauty; honor him, for he is your lord. Psalm 45:11
wildpurplechild

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:40 am

I've now started The Sight by David Clement-Davies, a book about wolves. It's kind of like those animal Disney movies, where the animals all talk with one another but go about their lives as normal animals do. But beyond Disney, these animals actually have religions and prophecies and things like that. I'd read another book by Clement-Davies, Firebringer, and I really liked that one, so I thought I'd give this a try. Besides, I love wolves!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Song_of_Storms » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:07 am

[SIZE="1"]Just finished reading Children of Hurin. I of course enjoyed it, but I wouldn't say it was my favorite of Tolkien's. I may just be insane, but after a while the essence of the writing seems to change.

Now I'm reading The Islanders, by Roland Pertwee. [Who happens to be the father of Jon Pertwee, who played the third Doctor Who]
It was considered a children's book during its time, which is ironic since its much more enjoyable then books you'll find now that are marketed towards teens. In my own opinion...

Ah, and this isn't my first time reading it. I started it many, many years ago, but I... lost it during one of the moves. A couple days ago my brother found it in the library... So anyway, I'm starting it over again. >w<[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm

All the Pretty Horses, by Cormac McCarthy. Gotta love this guy.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Barracuda777 » Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:55 pm

im reading "facing your giant'' by Max Lucado
PSN ID : Baracuda777
Barracuda777

Postby rocklobster » Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:50 am

Just read the second book in the Percy Jackson series, The Sea of Monsters.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:53 am

I'm reading The Ersatz Elevator by Lemony Snicket. Definitions of words, w00t!

I've gotten farther into The Sight, and it's getting better and better as the prophecies and curses and legends abound.

...And I've started reading Twilight by Stephenie Meyer. Partly because a friend hedged me into promising I'd read it, partly because I have morbid curiosity, partly because I want a good laugh, partly because I need some roundabout encouragement about the state of my own writing, but mostly so that when another rabid fangirl comes up to me and starts talking about how totally awesome it is, I can respond.

I apologize for any Twilight fans who are reading this. I don't mean to offend, but...I personally find the book ridiculous and boring.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby ShiroiHikari » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:05 pm

I'm getting ready to read Good Omens by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett.
fightin' in the eighties
ShiroiHikari

Postby ich1990 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:25 pm

“Ficciones” by Jorge Luis Borges

I would like to preface this review by thanking bigsleepj and the_wolfs_howl for routinely mentioning how awesome Borges is, thereby bringing to my attention his writings which I may have otherwise overlooked.

Borges' writing style is unlike anything I have ever read before. It is supremely intellectual, yet intensely creative as well. His stories are almost a perfect blend of thought and feeling, and if I read his stories for any lengthy period of time I find those combined forces push me firmly beyond reality. One minute I will be sitting on a couch reading, the next I will be wandering down some corridor in an infinite library, ruminating on a thousand philosophic subtleties. These otherworldly feelings are often so strong that I have to stop reading and wait a half an hour to allow myself to return fully to the real world. That is powerful writing, especially considering these are short stories, not multi-volume epics.

Not all of his stories in this collection affected me similarly, however. Some of the more cerebral literary explorations, like “Tlön, Uqbar, Orbis Tertius ” and “Pierre Menard, Author of Don Quixote”, I found merely fascinating. These experiences (good though they were) where all but overwhelmed by stories such as the aforementioned “The Library of Babel”, the astounding “The Circular Ruins”, and the profound “The Garden of Forking Paths” --any one of of which would have made me a Borges fan-for-life by its own merit. Even his (for lack of a better word) heretical “Three Versions of Judas” is more poetic and, well, romantic, than it is antagonistic towards the Faith.

While I had intended to pick up Borges' “Labyrinths”, it was sadly unavailable throughout the entire chain of libraries that I frequent (certainly an abominable fact). This volume, a seventeen story compilation of the collections “The Garden of Forking Paths” and “Artifices”, nonetheless served as a fine introduction to Borges' short fiction, and has gone a very long way towards making Borges one of my favorite authors ever. I only hope that his other writings are this good. 10/10
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby Makachop^^128 » Sat Oct 24, 2009 6:29 pm

cats in pajamas- Ray bradburry
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby bigsleepj » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:27 am

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1352440)"][b]“Ficcionesâ€
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby Ingemar » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:36 pm

Penguin Classics Early Christian Writings.

Read "The Didache" yesterday.
Job 7:16

I loathe my life; I would not live forever. Let me alone, for my days are but a breath.
Ingemar

Postby yukoxholic » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:41 pm

The Last Unicorn by Peter S. Beagle. This book brings back memories. XD
yukoxholic

Postby Syreth » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:00 pm

That Hideous Strength by C.S. Lewis. Interesting read so far - especially in conjunction with my recent viewing of Young Frankenstein. lol.
Syreth

Postby That Dude » Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:09 pm

I just finished...
Fuse of Armageddon, by Sigmund Brouwer and Hank Henagraaf.

Once again Sigmund Brouwer proves to be a powerhouse in christian fiction. He has an amazing style and is a solid writer, while I disagree with their anti-dispinsationalist view of theology it was still a very well written and intriguing book.

I'm currently reading;
The Gospel According To Jesus -by- John MacArthur.
Well written, well laid out arguments. I really enjoy MacArthur and have yet to see anything that I disagree with in the book.

Orthadoxy -by- G.K. Chesterton.
Ok, this dude is brilliant, but at the same time very odd. I'm about halfway through and am finding it rotating between extremely brilliant and odd and pointless. We'll see if it all ties together closer to the end of his book.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby battletech » Tue Oct 27, 2009 12:14 pm

Just finished "The New World" by Michael A. Stackpole the last book in his The Age of Discovery trilogy. Now reading "That Hideous Strength" by C.S. Lewis again.
[img]http://i1118.photobucket.com/albums/k615/bluebattletech/amuro_ray_emblem1_zps864eefb8.png[/img]
Gundam fan for life.
battletech

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:15 pm

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:33 pm

[quote="ich1990 (post: 1352440)"][b]“Ficcionesâ€

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Kkun » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:40 pm

The Slave Community by John W. Blassingame and The Walking Dead Book 2 by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby rocklobster » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:39 am

The Graveyard Book By Neil Gaiman. I'm not enjoying this one, surprisingly. (and normally I like Neil Gaiman.)
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby Azier the Swordsman » Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:58 pm

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix.
Azier the Swordsman

Postby bigsleepj » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:34 am

Lord Valentine's Castle by Robert Silverberg.

A good read, but not as good as some would have you believe. My problem with the book is that I refuse to believe in the world the author created which strikes me as too random at times.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby rocklobster » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:56 am

The Battle of the Labyrinth by Rick Riordan. It's the fourth in the Percy Jackson and the Olympians series.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby SeraphicCharm » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:19 pm

Reading Thirsting for Blood series by Sue Dent...sort of a Christian alternative to Twilight, even though her first book Never Ceese came out before the Twilight books.
Order of books so far:
Never Ceese (2006)
Forever Richard (Jan. 2009)
Cyn No More (Due out in 2010...can't wait!)
SeraphicCharm

Postby Makachop^^128 » Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:23 pm

just finished Geektastic
and now reading the illustrated man by Ray Bradbury
"We're not gonna die. We can't die, Bendis. You know why? Because we are so...very...pretty. We are just too pretty for God to let us die."-Mal

http://www.facebook.com/ShaylaChan

http://www.shelfari.com/shaylabot
http://myanimelist.net/profile/ShaylaBot
Makachop^^128

Postby rocklobster » Thu Nov 05, 2009 4:57 am

Book 9 in the Pendragon series: Ravens Rise.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Nov 05, 2009 11:44 am

Finished Twilight - phew! Still chugging through The Sight. And I just got from the library The Hound of the Baskervilles, for literature class. I get to compare the book and movie versions; yay Basil Rathbone! :dance:

- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby Radical Dreamer » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:09 pm

Recently finished reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, and it was delightful. XD Started re-reading The Fellowship of the Ring a few days ago, and I'm in the middle of reading Jane Austen's Emma for my British literature class. XD
[color="DeepSkyBlue"]4 8 15 16 23[/color] 42
[color="PaleGreen"]Rushia: YOU ARE MY FAVORITE IGNORANT AMERICAN OF IRISH DECENT. I LOVE YOU AND YOUR POTATOES.[/color]
[color="Orange"]WELCOME TO MOES[/color]

Radical Dreamer

Location: Some place where I can think up witty things to say under the "Location" category.

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:33 pm

I've been re-reading the Hitchhiker's Guide series myself. Read it a few years back, but pretty much all I remeber clearly after the first two was that I hated the ending of the last one.

Also, I'm about halfway through Terry Pratchett's Jingo. Oddly prophetic, seeing as it was written in 1997. And one of the finest examples I've yet read of his talent for taking familiar, realistic themes and putting them in a fresh, satirical perspective. Or as he calls it, taking fantasy "seriously."
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby rocklobster » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:31 am

Yeah, Mostly Harmless sucked worse than anything that had ever sucked before. I'm on the final book in the first Percy Jackson series, The Last Olympian.

my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner