What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby Kkun » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:39 pm

Sheenar (post: 1290967) wrote:The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes --I am only a couple of chapters into it, but it has definitely given me a new view of Mr. Holmes. Brilliant detective. Cocaine addict.

That is such a good collection. It has The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle and The Adventure of the Speckled Band which are two of my favorite Sherlock Holmes stories.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:23 am

Finished Interview with the Vampire. Very good writing, and a fairly engaging storyline. Some parts made me uncomfortable though, especially in Part 3. But what made me really happy is that I finally understand why so many people are fans of vampires! I finally get it! You can't imagine how many years I've struggled to understand this weirdness, and finally getting it is like reaching the summit of a mountain I've been climbing for ten years.

Anyway, now I'm reading Understanding Comics by some-guy-I-don't-know. It's very interesting, and very easy to read, as it's a comic book about comics. It explains in very simple, easy-to-understand ways, the basis of comics, their mechanics, their potential...anything a casual reader of comics would want to know. Some of the things apply to art of any kind, which is especially appealing to me, and he also comments on various things in manga that I never noticed before.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:40 pm

I'm currently re-reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrel.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA
The Avatar Christian Ronin designed for me
An Avatar KhakiBlue gave to me
The avatar Termyt made for me

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

Current Avatar by SirThinks2much - thank you very much! :thumb::)
bigsleepj

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:07 pm

Wise Blood and Everything that Rises Must Converge by Flannery O'Conner

Typical O'Conner material, for those of you familiar with her writing. There is certainly a great deal to analyze, unlike...

Modern Critical Theory edited by David Lodge and Nigel Wood

Like any compilation, it is a mixed bag. I appreciate further education about schools of literary thought over the past century. However, I have deep disagreements with the assumptions behind many of the theories. These are deep enough that I have difficulty even properly engaging the texts, because I feel like they lack substance.

Twilight by Stephanie Meyers

Not school reading, but I wouldn't call it "for pleasure" either. Let's just say I have a morbid fascination with wish fulfillment - and there's enough of it here that I at times worry it's going to collapse into a singularity. I'll restrain my comments to a series of observations:
1) There should be a prequel about the arsonist in Forks, who is presumably the reason that everything from eyes to voices is currently smoldering.
2) Bella comments on Edward's appearance every page or so, the fact that he's a vampire every chapter or so, and anything substantial about his personality every never.
3) I would love to know what the word count of the book is with every sentence describing Edward removed.
4) The experience of love is apparently identical to electrocution.
5) This is perhaps the first book I've read that idealizes an abusive and manipulative stalker.
uc pseudonym

Postby ich1990 » Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:53 pm

“The Revolution: A Manifesto” by Ron Paul

As a general rule I don't read books written by living politicians. This aversion developed from reading one too many insipid, illogical, political “biography”. This principle has served me well for several years, so I am sure you can imagine my misgivings toward the idea of reading this particular manifesto. Research into Ron Paul's ideas, however, eventually won me over. Wikipedia's article on him seemed to highlight Paul's strange political ideas and noted that he frequently disagreed with both main political parties (which always a good sign). My curiosity was piqued further when the article mentioned that Ron Paul was heavily influenced by Libertarian philosophy – an area of politics which I had long wanted to read about. Sufficiently curious, I ordered his book from the library and prepared myself for the worst.

The first thing that stood out to me was that Ron Paul's book had an overwhelming focus on ideas. This stands in sharp relief to the autobiographies that are usually churned out en masse by politicians. Each chapter of the book focuses on an issue important to politics (economics, foreign policy, etc.) and makes a strong case for Ron Paul's particular view on each (incidently, his views aligned astonishingly close with my own). Another thing that surprised me was Ron Paul's recommended reading list. What is this?! A politician encouraging the people to become better informed? Who would have thought of it? Most impressive of all, however, is Ron Paul's constant quoting of the Founding Fathers and previous presidents (especially Thomas Jefferson). He seems to have done his homework when it comes to their ideas.

Despite these strengths, the Manifesto is not without its faults. As with many political books, a certain amount of opponent bashing is supplied, although it is almost entirely ideologically based rather than party based. Additionally, Ron Paul provides almost no citations whatsoever. Considering the constant quotations and references to previous law cases, the absence of proper citation seems quite conspicuous. Finally, the book is entirely one sided. Be forewarned that its purpose is to allow new (or rather old) political ideas to see the light of day once more. It does not offer anything close to a balanced viewpoint.

If you can handle a little political posturing and don't mind putting a little effort into researching his positions, I would highly recommend this book and the ideas contained therein as a solid alternative to both the Republican and the Democratic party. 9/10

uc pseudonym wrote:5) This is perhaps the first book I've read that idealizes an abusive and manipulative stalker.

And he is a hundred year old stalker at that.
Where an Eidolon, named night, on a black throne reigns upright.
ich1990

Postby That Dude » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:08 pm

This is also one of the few political books that I want to read. It's refreshing seeing a politician who is consistent and has very similar viewpoints to my own. So I'd kinda like to see what it has to say.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Song_of_Storms » Fri Feb 27, 2009 7:34 pm

[SIZE="1"]Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy

I suppose sci-fi/end of the world comedy would best describe this little gem. Though not very long, it's definitely worth it. Hilarious beyond belief, Douglas Adams' writing melds perfectly with the story.

My only complaint is the constant evolution babbling, or the atheistic tones. Adams could easily be considered on the same anti-God scale as Hawkins... which is a terrible shame.

That aside, I would recommend this series to anyone who wants to laugh. Now, time for a quote!

Mr Prosser: "But the plans were on display..."
Arthur: "On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them."
Mr Prosser: "That's the display department."
Arthur: "With a torch."
Mr Prosser: "Ah, well the lights had probably gone."
Arthur: "So had the stairs."
Mr Prosser: "But look, you found the notice didn't you?"
Arthur: "Yes," said Arthur, "yes, I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying Beware of the Leopard."
[/SIZE]
ImageImage ImageImageImage
Song_of_Storms

Postby mysngoeshere56 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:41 pm

The Wounded Spirit by Frank Peretti
-Sno
mysngoeshere56

Postby Roz » Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:46 pm

The Scarlett Pimpernel.

(spelling?)
Roz

Postby Heronwing » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:49 pm

I finished the Princess Diaries series last week. I used to like it, but now... ugh. Do NOT read the final book under any circumstances. DO NOT. It puts in excepts from Mia's romance novel that border on NC-17 territory. Not to mention the fact that there are NO virgins left in the book by the end, and the vast majority of the characters are in HIGH SCHOOL! And waiting until marriage is portrayed very negatively. I honestly don't think I'll ever read another Princess Diaries book again. Yuck!
On the bright side, I read some new manga. ^-^
Heronwing

Postby The Liar XIII » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:15 pm

I got to read a book entitled "Wreck of the Florizel" or something.
It's a Newfoundland book about a boat that sunk.
I read the authors previous book, "Death on the Ice".. Not too good, so no high hopes for this one. lol.
Some Assembly Required

The Liar XIII

Postby Etoh*the*Greato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:18 pm

IN THE LAST WEEK:
The Harsh Cry of the Heron, the last tale of the Otori.
I love you Beth Cooper.
The Dresden Files,
1) Storm Front
2) Fool moon
3) Grave Peril
"I do not feel obliged to believe that that same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo Galilei
ImageImageImageImage
Etoh*the*Greato

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:59 am

Just started Marley and Me by John Grogan. It's about the worst dog ever. Aww, but the dog on the cover looks so cute!:hug:
OK, yeah, I'm a dog lover.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby animaniac » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:51 pm

reading the ragwitch by garth nix
animaniac

Postby Sheol777 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:55 pm

Watchmen

...again, time to refresh my memory.
Image........... My Deep Space Nine Podcast ........... My Anime List...........
Sheol777

Postby ich1990 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:11 pm

Tales of the Black Widowers by Isaac Asimov

Lately, college, work, and whole bunch of other similarly unnecessary activities have prevented me from tackling large books, so I picked up this collection of short mysteries/logic puzzles. I like mysteries, I like puzzles, and I like Asimov, so I figured I couldn't go wrong.

Unlike other mystery collections that I have read, these mysteries all have the same setting and are all interconnected to a certain extent. As you read through the book, the primary characters (those of the Black Widower Club) gain experience in mystery solving right along with the reader. In other words, that trick the author pulled on you in the second mystery won't work in the fourth mystery, because the characters of the book will be on guard against that. The result is that the mysteries are unique and their solutions will not be found by “getting a feel for” the author (which is one of the biggest weaknesses of Agatha Christie's books).

Unfortunately, Asimov violates the ground rules for logic puzzles during several of the stories. In these instances, there was simply no way to solve the puzzle without knowing some tidbit of esoteric trivia. It was quite annoying when I spent a large amount of time trying to figure out the answer logically, then found out it could only be solved factually. Overall, however, the collection was worthwhile. The club setting and character interactions never failed to add a humorous shell for the often interesting and sometimes frustrating puzzles. 7/10
ich1990

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Paul Neilan's Apathy and Other Small Victories.
Discworld series aside, this is the funniest book I've ever read. And definitely one of the best.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Amzi Live » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:27 am

Einstein's Dreams
by Alan Lightman
have to read it for English XP
It's sort of neat though,a fiction work based on the theory of relativity.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:03 pm

Critical Theory Today by Lois Tyson

While I admire the author's ability to adapt to a large number of styles of criticism and analyze The Great Gatsby within those paradigms, I find the book is informative as opposed to enjoyable. I have issues with the state of critical theory today.

Silence by Shusaku Endo (translated by William Johnston)

This was a truly excellent novel. It treats the issue in a very real way, allowing voices on all sides to speak without being simple straw positions to be knocked down. The willingness to hold tensions without resolution was refreshing.

It was also vaguely encouraging to read accompanying history and realize just how corrupt the initial Christian missions to Japan were. That may seem an odd statement, but I find it preferable to the idea that the "swamp of Japan" rejected an essentially honest introduction to Christianity.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:20 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1294569) wrote:Silence by Shusaku Endo (translated by William Johnston)

Arguably one of my favourite novels, also one of the few I could not finish the second time I tried to read it.

uc pseudonym (post: 1294569) wrote:It was also vaguely encouraging to read accompanying history and realize just how corrupt the initial Christian missions to Japan were. That may seem an odd statement, but I find it preferable to the idea that the "swamp of Japan" rejected an essentially honest introduction to Christianity.

Hmmm. That's an interesting take on the novel, a part I did not really give much consideration when I read it. Mostly when I read the theological parts, particularly how the protagonist's view of Christ changes as well as the ending, but not corrupt missions, though I certainly noticed it. :)
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

KhakiBlueSocks wrote:"I'm going to make you a prayer request you can't refuse..." Cue the violins. :lol:

bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:45 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Silence by Shusaku Endo (translated by William Johnston)

One of my favorite novels as well. After reading The Book of Martyrs and Jesus Freaks, I thought I had the whole idea of martyrdom and apostasy (or at least the Protestant equivalents) figured out. Then I read Silence.

I wonder if there are multiple translations available. I remember not particularly liking the translation that I used, but cannot remember who did the translation for the copy that I read.

bigsleepJ wrote:Arguably one of my favourite novels, also one of the few I could not finish the second time I tried to read it.

I have been meaning to read another of Endo's works (eventually anyway), do you have a recommendation?
ich1990

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:28 pm

ich1990 (post: 1294626) wrote:I wonder if there are multiple translations available. I remember not particularly liking the translation that I used, but cannot remember who did the translation for the copy that I read.

As far as I know the only translation doing the rounds is the William Johnson translation.

ich1990 (post: 1294626) wrote:I have been meaning to read another of Endo's works (eventually anyway), do you have a recommendation?

I've read only one other work, The Samurai, which is highly fictionalised novel about a real-life diplomatic mission to Europe by the Japanese in the early 1600's. It's a complex, intriguing novel that deals more directly with the commercial motivations behind some early Christian missions to Asia, as well the legacy of the Catholic Church in Mexico (through which the Samurai travel). It's grim but not as arresting as Silence, which is shorter and more profound.
Unwise Toasting Sermon

The Sweet Smell of CAA

bigsleepj

Postby ich1990 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:13 pm

bigsleepj (post: 1294657) wrote:As far as I know the only translation doing the rounds is the William Johnson translation.

I've read only one other work, The Samurai, which is highly fictionalised novel about a real-life diplomatic mission to Europe by the Japanese in the early 1600's. It's a complex, intriguing novel that deals more directly with the commercial motivations behind some early Christian missions to Asia, as well the legacy of the Catholic Church in Mexico (through which the Samurai travel). It's grim but not as arresting as Silence, which is shorter and more profound.

Ok, thank you. I took a quick glance through Endo's other books and "The Sea and the Poison" looks pretty good. I think I will probably try that one, it is quite short (which is, unfortunately, a significant factor as of late).
ich1990

Postby Amzi Live » Fri Mar 06, 2009 4:59 pm

uc pseudonym (post: 1294569) wrote:
Silence by Shusaku Endo (translated by William Johnston)

Hmm,sound interesting. I haven't read or heard much about that particular topic. I'd like to read such a novel,and dig up on the history as well.
[font="Arial Narrow"] Teach me thy way, O LORD; I will walk in thy truth: unite my heart to fear thy name. Psalm86:11[/font]
Proud lurker? Join MOES,and help us stay cool.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Amzi Live

Postby Aletheia » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:42 pm

The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. I forgot just how much I love this book. ^^
MOES. I can has Sane Sig now?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Aletheia

Postby That Dude » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:23 am

Aletheia (post: 1295228) wrote:The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy. I forgot just how much I love this book. ^^

That is a good book.
I am convinced that many men who preach the gospel and love the Lord are really misunderstood. People make a “profession,â€
That Dude

Postby Kkun » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:03 pm

M.P. Shiel's Prince Zaleski collection. Take Poe's C. Auguste Dupin, mix well with the Decadent movement of the late 19th c., shake, and serve.
I'm a shoe-in for hater of the year.
Kkun

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:48 pm

Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk. It's one of three of his books I found in the Free Books bin at the library. The others were Invisible Monsters and Survivor, both of which I have yet to read.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Lilac#18 » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:02 pm

Currently reading Michelle Obama: Meet The First Lady.
FKA Selenite
B careful of bad habits u form when ur single. In most cases u'll carry them over into ur marriage! - Damita Haddon

"Apparently, it takes more than just the sword." - Mirai (Future) Trunks

24When you lie down, you shall not be afraid; yes, you shall lie down, and your sleep shall be sweet. Proverbs 3:24 AMP

@)}~`,~ Carry This Rose In Your Sig, As Thanks, To All The CAA Moderators.

Lilac#18

Postby rocklobster » Sun Mar 22, 2009 4:39 pm

Just finished The Tale of Desperaux by KAte Dicamillo. Highly recommend it for all ages.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner