What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 06, 2007 12:02 pm

Nothing at the moment.Just finished Robotech:Genesis yesterday.
mitsuki lover

Postby Alice » Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:23 pm

Hotel Paradise, Martha Grimes
People talking without speaking
People hearing without listening
People writing songs that voices never share

And no one dared
Disturb the sound of silence.
Alice

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sun Apr 08, 2007 2:50 pm

One Hundred Years of Solitude, by Gabriel Garcia Marquez.

I've only read a few chapters thus far, but it is pretty interesting reading. Marquez won the Nobel Prize, so I assume he's pretty great.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby Acolyte » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:14 am

The Last Mythan: Realms of the Elves From Forgotten Realms :)
Acolyte

Postby Jih » Mon Apr 09, 2007 5:24 pm

Currently making my way through "The greatest novel of all time".
Jih

Postby mitsuki lover » Tue Apr 10, 2007 1:46 pm

Gee and I haven't even written it yet!

Seriously though I am currently reading or at least starting on The South Was Right! by the Kennedy brothers.
mitsuki lover

Postby LittleTokyo91 » Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:00 pm

I'm reading a midsummer night's dream by William Shakespeare. Almost finished it in one day!
No one knows what goes on inside of your head
And everything seems to be ok.
And your the same as you've always been (your the same)
If I'd listened, would you have talked to me?

I don't wanna Let You Down,
But I can't even pick up myself.
I only wanted to make you proud,
But I don't think I can do this anymore.

When did this crowded room get so lonely?
And everyone keeps looking at me.
I'm tired (so tired) of faking my life
I'm so tired, I don't wanna feel this way.
-P.O.D.
LittleTokyo91

Postby Rarothi » Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:55 pm

The first Trinity Blood novel, and I'm re-reading Skulduggery Pleasant by Derek Landy. I. LOVE. THAT. BOOK. Any book that has a fire-throwing Irish skeleton for a main character is A++ would read again.
Cause our days were numbered by nights on too many rooftops.
They said we're wasting our lives,
Oh at least we know, that if we die - we lived with passion.
They said we'd burn so bright.
We burn this city and go.

l i v e j o u r n a l ♪ d e v i a n t A R T
Rarothi

Postby Miss WWE 2007 » Fri Apr 13, 2007 12:06 pm

Right now I'm reading Tim Lahaye's Babylon Rising...he was the co-author of the Left Behind Series. It is an interesting read thus far.
"I wanna heal, I wanna feel what I thought was never real
I wanna let go of the pain I’ve held so long
(Erase all the pain till it’s gone)
I wanna heal, I wanna feel like I’m close to something real
I wanna find something I’ve wanted all along
Somewhere I belong

I will never know myself until I do this on my own
And I will never feel anything else, until my wounds are healed
I will never be anything till I break away from me
I will break away, I'll find myself today

"-Linkin Park (Somewhere I Belong)

Miss WWE 2007

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Apr 13, 2007 2:23 pm

A year's worth of daily devotionals in about four days.

Really, that's what I've been reading lately. A friend is involved and wanted another pair of editing eyes, so I contributed.
uc pseudonym

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Sat Apr 14, 2007 7:06 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:A year's worth of daily devotionals in about four days.

Really, that's what I've been reading lately. A friend is involved and wanted another pair of editing eyes, so I contributed.

Man, that could be really overwhelming. Glad its for edit, not for retention, though I'm sure you could handle it either way.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:19 am

Right now I'm reading the first book of The Dragonriders of Pern series, Dragonflight, by Anne McCaffery. Basically, it's about a girl named Lessa who's trying to reclaim her birthright. Then this guy with the horrible name F'lar totally barges into her life and tells her she's got to become the Weyrwoman, which is basically the queen of the Dragonriders. It's an okay book so far (I'm nearly done with Part 2), but everyone in the book seems to act selfishly and like an animal. I don't really like any of the characters, not even Lessa. As far as Dragon Rider stories go, I like Eragon better, even though the quality of writing is less in Paolini's work.
Since I just now discovered this thread, I'll also list a couple books I finished recently. The first is called The Book Without Words by Avi. Unlike most of Avi's work, it takes place in a fictional midieval setting, with several magical aspects that make it more of a fable than a historical fiction. It's about a servant girl, Sybil, who works under an aged alchemist named Thorston. Thorston is wanting to regain his youth by means of the Stones of Life, and the book is about Sybil's attempts to stop him. It was a pretty good book (though my favorite Avi book will always remain The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle, which was the first one I read).
I aslo recently read Myst: The Book of Atrus and LOVED IT. I've been a huge Myst fan almost since my uncle gave me the first game several years ago because he couldn't figure out how to beat it. I suppose the book would be better enjoyed if you've played Myst and Riven first (there are quite a few aha! moments that explain mysteries and such in those games), but since the timeline is actually before any of the games, and the mechanics of how things work are explained, you wouldn't necessarily have to have played the games to read the book. So basically, the story's about Atrus, a boy who starts as about seven years old and grows to be a young man throughthe course of the story. He lives in acleft of a volcanic mountain (I'm not sure, but I think it's supposed to be in the real world) with his grandmother, Anna, who raises him because his mother died and his father abandoned him when he was born. The majority of the story is about hwo Atrust learns he is one of the only heirs to an ancient legacy, the legacy of the D'ni. It's also about his fluctuating relationship with his father, and his discovery of what he wants to do with his life. I suppose you could call it a coming-of-age story.
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby WrestlingOtaku » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:09 am

Still working through "How Few Remain"... I'm usually a fast reader, but I guess this is because I only read at school, except for manga, and only before class starts... V__V
WrestlingOtaku

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Apr 16, 2007 11:45 am

IRISH FAMILY HISTORIES by Ida Grehan.
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Wed Apr 18, 2007 8:11 am

I'm reading: The Amulet of Samarkand - The first book in the Bartimaeus trilogy. it's actually pretty interesting.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby Kokhiri Sojourn » Wed Apr 18, 2007 10:07 am

mitsuki lover wrote:IRISH FAMILY HISTORIES by Ida Grehan.

Is it written well? I love family histories, but they can be hard to get through if the writing isn't quality.

Still reading One Hundred Years of Solitude and I'm almost finished. The more I read, the more I want to read, and there is a lot under the surface of the storyline. I can see why the book garnered so much praise.
Kokhiri Sojourn

Postby BikanDesu » Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:26 pm

A Game of Thrones - George R. R. Martin
BikanDesu

Postby Alice » Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:51 pm

I read A Drowned Maiden's Hair, by Laura Amy Schlitz.

And no one dared
Alice

Postby rocklobster » Thu Apr 19, 2007 4:44 am

Finished The Man in the Iron Mask by Alexandre Dumas.
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:09 pm

Skipped over O'Connor-O'Toole and restarted with Plunkett.Right now on Sheridan.
mitsuki lover

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:43 pm

The '90s Catwoman comics issues 64-70.Recommended to anyone who wants to see how really great a character in the Batverse Selina Kyle actually was.Read especially issue 65 and it's twisted ending.And I do mean the ending to it is rather twisted. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
mitsuki lover

Postby Htom Sirveaux » Sat Apr 21, 2007 8:34 pm

Stephen King's Needful Things. Next, Neil Gaiman's American Gods. Probably.
If this post seems too utterly absurd or ridiculous to be taken seriously, don't. :)
Htom Sirveaux

Postby Technomancer » Sun Apr 22, 2007 5:25 am

The Carpet Wars by Christopher Kremmer

A fascinating book on a part of the world that CNN or other networks have yet to treat with any depth.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby Alice » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:14 pm

The Winds of Sonoma, by Nikki Arana

And no one dared
Alice

Postby chibiphonebooth » Sun Apr 22, 2007 4:33 pm

Memoirs of a Geisha. by arthur something-or-other.

i dont have the book on hand.

but its amazing. XD
ImageImageImage

[font="Impact"][SIZE="3"][color="SeaGreen"]"Savannah's signature: ruining serious since 2008"[/color][/SIZE][/font]

[font="Georgia"][color="Orange"][url=yourtoesaremissing.deviantart.com]Visit my DA X3[/url][/color][/font]
chibiphonebooth

Postby Technomancer » Mon Apr 23, 2007 6:29 am

Dawn Monkey: Unearthing the Origins of Monkeys, Apes and Humans by Christopher Beard

While the hominid lineage has been fairly well established, the author of this book looks further back in evolutionary time to the point where the common ancestor of apes, monkeys and humans diverged from the prosimians (i.e. tarsiers, lemurs and lorises). Beard also expounds on his own research and its importance to our understanding of human evolution.
The scientific method," Thomas Henry Huxley once wrote, "is nothing but the normal working of the human mind." That is to say, when the mind is working; that is to say further, when it is engaged in corrrecting its mistakes. Taking this point of view, we may conclude that science is not physics, biology, or chemistry—is not even a "subject"—but a moral imperative drawn from a larger narrative whose purpose is to give perspective, balance, and humility to learning.

Neil Postman
(The End of Education)

Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge

Isaac Aasimov
Technomancer

Postby the_wolfs_howl » Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:01 am

Now I'm reading Warcraft: Day of the Dragon by Richard A. Knaak. Naturally you have to have some knowledge of Warcraft before reading the book, or it won't make much sense, but being mildly interested in the series I find it enjoyable. Vereesa, the Elf character, is worth a few rolled eyes, and the Dwarves are very stereotypical, but the antagonists are very interesting. They're the puppeteer types, the kind of people who are secretly manipulating everything for their own ends. I find myself looking forward to chapters from their perspectives more than the main characters'.
And I honestly can't see how Azeroth will weather through this one - but I know it does, because Warcraft 3 happened!
You can find out things about the past that you never knew. And from what you've learned, you may see some things differently in the present. You're the one that changes. Not the past.
- Ellone, Final Fantasy VIII

"There's a difference between maliciously offending somebody - on purpose - and somebody being offended by...truth. If you're offended by the truth, that's your problem. I have no obligation to not offend you if I'm speaking the truth. The truth is supposed to offend you; that's how you know you don't got it."
- Brad Stine
the_wolfs_howl

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:24 am

Yesterday I reread Fushigi Yugi,The Ultimate Fan Guide vol.3.The difference between the first time I read it and yesterday is that by the time I reread it yesterday I had also read vol.17 of the manga a couple times so was more familiar with the story.
mitsuki lover

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Mon Apr 30, 2007 9:48 am

Reading Star Wars: Heir to the Empire by Timothy Zahn.
Shao Feng-Li

Postby rocklobster » Wed May 02, 2007 5:43 pm

Howl's Moving Castle by Diana Wynne-Jones
"Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you. I appointed you to be a prophet of all nations."
--Jeremiah 1:5
Hit me up on social media!
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100007205508246<--Facebook

I'm also on Amino as Radical Edward, and on Reddit as Rocklobster as well.

click here for my playlist!
my last fm profile!
rocklobster

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner