What are you reading?

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby uc pseudonym » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:04 pm

Kingdom Citizens by John Driver

A rather slim theological volume, mostly because is focuses almost exclusively on a single chapter (Matthew 5). Interesting so far, but he spends a fair amount of time on background information, which is not new to me, so I haven't gotten into the part of the book that will be more relevant.
uc pseudonym

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 13, 2006 3:21 pm

i finished ender's game and i'm starting on the house of the scorpion.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Postby uc pseudonym » Tue Nov 14, 2006 6:50 pm

The Shining by Stephen King

Assigned for a literature class. I'm actually enjoying it more than I expected, so far.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Tue Nov 14, 2006 7:25 pm

I think the Shining is one of King's best books (especially in its unabridged form which is hard to get). I liked it much better than the Stanley Kubrick film with Jack Nicholson.
bigsleepj

Postby Tenshi no Ai » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:45 am

One more chapter, and I'm done Prince Caspian, and onto Voyage of the Dawn Treader.
神 は、 その 独り 子 を お与え に なった ほど に 世 お愛 された。
独り 子 を 信じる 者 が 一人 も滅 ひない で, 永遠 の 命 お得る ため で ある。

ヨハネ 3:16
Tenshi no Ai

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 15, 2006 12:21 pm

Voyage of the Dawn Treader is my favourite Narnian Chronicle! :)
bigsleepj

Postby mitsuki lover » Wed Nov 15, 2006 1:41 pm

It was the first one I ever read.

I got as far as Reconstruction in Webb's book 'Born Fighting' and then had to stop.
It seemed to me when it came to that part he was trying to put too much blame on
the North for what happened to the South during Reconstruction when really blame was to go all around.Otherwise it was a very interesting book.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:10 pm

bigsleepj wrote:I think the Shining is one of King's best books (especially in its unabridged form which is hard to get). I liked it much better than the Stanley Kubrick film with Jack Nicholson.

I haven't seen the film. My previous experience with The Shining is limited to a parody on the Simpsons...

However, as I have said, I am enjoying it so far. It seems to be competant writing and it doesn't have gratuitous horror. So far the characters are somewhat interesting, and the supernatural aspect actually interests me (how different locations, such as the topiary, appear to have different dark auras - I hope that more is done with this). The course of the novel seems so predictable it is as if that is the intent, but I am enjoying the process.
uc pseudonym

Postby Shao Feng-Li » Wed Nov 15, 2006 6:29 pm

Tales of Terror- Edgar Allen Poe- Selected by Neil Waldman

And Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson
Shao Feng-Li

Postby bigsleepj » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:I haven't seen the film. My previous experience with The Shining is limited to a parody on the Simpsons...

Which was actually more of a parody of the movie than the film. Is this the first Stephen King book you are attempting to read?
bigsleepj

Postby HikariChan » Thu Nov 16, 2006 8:33 am

The Prince by Machiavelli

and its not for school

My mom does NOT go to college
:P
HikariChan

Location: -Where I practice flying with my Imagination-Big Ol' Texas-

Postby mitsuki lover » Thu Nov 16, 2006 12:22 pm

The Political Zoo by Michael Savage.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Thu Nov 16, 2006 6:23 pm

bigsleepj wrote:Which was actually more of a parody of the movie than the film. Is this the first Stephen King book you are attempting to read?

Yes. Though I would say I'm succeeding in reading the book, not attempting. It's pretty light reading. I'm about a quarter of the way through the book, and with the revived wasps we have our first directly supernatural evil. Mostly I'm still waiting for more to happen.
uc pseudonym

Postby bigsleepj » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:21 pm

uc pseudonym wrote:Yes. Though I would say I'm succeeding in reading the book, not attempting. It's pretty light reading. I'm about a quarter of the way through the book, and with the revived wasps we have our first directly supernatural evil. Mostly I'm still waiting for more to happen.

The book has a well developed slow build, but do not expect anything like your common slasher movie. The story has always been more psychological, if overwritten. I was a big fan of Stephen King in highschool (I would finish his books in days) and I still admire him today but truth is I burned out long ago on him and I haven't picked up a book of his in six years, and in this time my tastes for literature has evolved in the meantime, so I'm not sure if I'd still like him if I read his books. I still love my copy of The Green Mile on my shelf, in its original serialised chapbook publication form. I should read it again someday.
bigsleepj

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Nov 16, 2006 10:35 pm

I just finished Saint by Ted Dekker an hour ago. I don't know what I'll read next. Maybe Piercing the Darkness by Frank Peretti? It's a goodie!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Animus Seed » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:38 am

Warrior 4 Jesus wrote:I just finished Saint by Ted Dekker an hour ago.

How was it?

I'm reading Numbers for school right now.
Kyrie eléison.
Animus Seed

Postby Peregrine » Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:45 am

I am reading The Crystal City by Orsen Scott Card. It's in the Alvin Maker series, but for school, I am reading the Shining Company by someone I don't know.
Peregrine

Postby Sparrowhawk » Fri Nov 17, 2006 12:41 pm

I'm about to start reading Melville's Moby Dick . While not literature, for learning how to teach kids over seas I'm read Third Culture Kids.
Which Final Fantasy Character Are You?
Final Fantasy 7

"The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say."
-Fellowship of the Ring, by JRR Tolkien

Postby mitsuki lover » Fri Nov 17, 2006 1:21 pm

No matter what your politics I recommend everyone to check out and read
Michael Savage's Political Zoo,he pretty much does an hilarious job of slamming
just about everyone in politics these days both to the left and to the right.Plus the
caricatures are to die for.
mitsuki lover

Postby uc pseudonym » Fri Nov 17, 2006 7:11 pm

bigsleepj wrote:The book has a well developed slow build, but do not expect anything like your common slasher movie.

I'm glad, as I wouldn't be particularly interested in that. So far I think that it could have been tightened somewhat (some scenes seem to serve the same purpose as previous ones without adding much new) but the psychological aspects seem effective to me so far.

There are a lot of different elements to raise suspicion. This isn't a problem (quite the opposite) if they are all developed or expanded upon, but if many are left behind I will be dissapointed. My current crack theory is that the doctor in town is somehow evil... too many things in that scene seem off for me to want to believe it's just a normal situation.
uc pseudonym

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:04 pm

Animus Seed, Saint was awesome. One of Dekker's best. Action-packed, suspenseful, very thought-provoking - it's all there. To say anymore would give it away. Its about an assassin, but its quite original. Not like your average thriller.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby memmer66 » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:56 pm

madphilb wrote:Michael Chriton's "Prey" - cool book, far more colorful language than I expected though.

Good book, and yes and fairly large amount of "colorful" language in this book.

Me I'm reading "Cell" by "Stephen King". Which also has lots of "colorful" language and not really so much colorful as "red" violence. LOTS of blood and gore and violence. But actually a pretty good read (if you can get past a chapter with a more then small amount of God bashing).
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby yukinon » Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:53 pm

That doesn't have anything to do with that movie "The Cell", does it?
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby memmer66 » Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:21 pm

yukinon wrote:That doesn't have anything to do with that movie "The Cell", does it?

No, not at all.
[SIGPIC]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v151/Ryuketsu/battleroyale.jpg[/SIGPIC]
Best Beginning To A Review EVER: The fact that I watched this movie after eating poisonous mushrooms only went to enhance the realism :lol:
memmer66

Postby Kaori » Sun Nov 19, 2006 1:41 pm

For class, I've read five of the stories in Isak Dinesin's Seven Gothic Tales. They are beautifully written and complex, although the author's spiritual thoughts don't always mesh perfectly with a Christian worldview.
Let others believe in the God who brings men to trial and judges them. I shall cling to the God who resurrects the dead.
-St. Nikolai Velimirovich

MAL
Kaori

Postby mitsuki lover » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:31 pm

I came across this book at Barnes & Nobles yesterday called Celebrity Family Trees(didn't buy it though).It has family trees for families such as:
*BUSH
*FREUD
*BONAPARTE
*HITLER
*DARWIN
*KENNEDY
Really interesting to look through.For example did you know that both the English composer Ralph Vaughn Williams and the actor that played Edmund in the
movie version of The Lion,The Witch & The Warddrobe are related to the Darwin
family?
That the youngest grandnephew of Adolf Hitler in America didn't know his older brothers had even made a pledge not to continue the family?
mitsuki lover

Postby rurouninaruto » Sun Nov 19, 2006 2:42 pm

I'm reading A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain right now. Pretty good book.:thumb:
rurouninaruto

Postby yukinon » Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm

I finally finished Redemption of Althalus. Now I am reading The Black Stallion Returns.
9&&|(=|()v&
yukinon

Postby mitsuki lover » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:29 pm

I've been going through and reading my Lost In Space comics.Currently I'm up to #5:The Perils of Penelope,basically this explains that all of the really campy episodes that were on tv came from Penny's overactive imagination as found in her diary.
Too bad the comic book series ended just as they were getting into the Voyage To
The Bottom Of The Soul mini-series.
mitsuki lover

Postby jon_jinn » Mon Nov 20, 2006 4:08 pm

i'm currently reading house of the scorpion by nancy farmer right now.
[SIZE="4"]*FASTING FROM CAA (9/25/08 - ???)*[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]
"Sometimes we don't present the Gospel well enough for the non-elect to reject it."
- John MacArthur

"In the total expanse of the human life, there is not a single square inch of which Christ, who alone is sovereign, does not declare, 'That is mine'."
- Abraham Kuyper

"God the great Creator of all things doth uphold, direct, dispose, and govern all creatures, actions, and things, from the greatest even to the least, by His most wise and holy providence, according to His infallible foreknowledge and the free and immutable counsel of His own will, to the praise of the glory of His wisdom, power, justice, goodness, and mercy."
- Westminister Confession of Faith (Chapter 5, Section 1)

"The wisdom of God has found a way for the love of God to deliver sinners from the wrath of God all the while upholding the righteousness of God!!"
- John Piper

"Grace is the pleasure of God to magnify the worth of God by giving sinners the right and power to delight in God without obscuring the glory of God!"
-John Piper

"The very One from Whom we need to be saved, is the One Who has saved us."
- R.C. Sproul

"All of Christian life is ceaseless worship of God the Father, through the mediatorship of God the Son, by the indwelling power of God the Spirit, doing what God commands in Scripture, not doing what God forbids in Scripture, in culturally contextualized ways, for the furtherance of the Gospel, when both gathered for adoration, and scattered for action, in joyous response to God's glorious grace."
- Mark Driscoll

"Believers do not pray with the view of informing God about things unknown to Him, or of exciting Him to do His duty, or of urging Him as though He were reluctant. On the contrary, they pray in order that they may arouse themselves to seek Him, that they may exercise their faith in meditating on His promises, that they may relieve themselves from their anxieties by pouring them into His bosom; in a word, that they may declare that from Him alone they hope and expect, both for themselves and for others, all good things."
- Martin Luther

"I have to tell you first that I am ready to die. I have put my affairs in order. Your supreme weapon is killing. My supreme weapon is dying, because when you kill me, people all over Romania will read my books and believe on the God that I preach - even more than they do now."
- Dr. Joseph Ton, the exiled Romanian pastor (quoted by James Montgomery Boice)

"The best prayer I ever prayed had enough sin in it to condemn the whole world."
- John Bunyan

"If the Christian has lost sight of Calvary, that shows that he has lost his way."
- J.I. Packer[/SIZE]
jon_jinn

Previous Next

Return to Book Corner