Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince *SPOILERS*

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Postby MyrrhLynn » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:20 pm

Yumie wrote:Yeah, I just don't know enough about the making of horcruxes to know if it's possible for Harry to be one or not. I mean, we know that Voldemort could have torn a piece of his soul when he killed Lily, but I don't know how he would transfer it and all that. And wouldn't Dumbledore have figured it out if Voldemort had done that?? I mean, he had been around Harry every school season for six years, and he's not exactly what you'd call dense. . . so. . .

Yeah I agree, although it sounds cool for Harry to be a horcrux I just don't see how he could be one. Because when he was a baby Voldemort tried to kill him (so he couldn't have been one then because why would he have tried to kill him it would be like killing himself in a way) now that Harry is older Voldemort hasn't really had the power to make a horcruxe until very recently. The end of Book 4 is about the only time I think it could have happened, and as far as I remember that whole scene was about getting power FROM Harry rather then giving to Harry. Plus then he tried to kill Harry again. I would think you would have to touch something in order to turn it into a Horcrux I mean it makes sense... and he hasn't touched Harry since the end of book 4.

:x:Anti Yaoi Fans :x: Daystar Design :x: MyrrhLynn.NET :x: Need an avatar? Then Click here!

"Another Sane Sig brought to you by MOES."
MyrrhLynn

Postby Rachel » Mon Aug 15, 2005 6:48 pm

Yumie wrote: The only thing I can think of is, why would the prophecy say, "Neither can live while the other survives?"

Okay, this is going to sound probably a little bit weird and probably won't make any sense, but I'm going to throw it out here anyway...Maybe Harry or Voldemort as know them would be the one dying. Like say Voldy undergoes a change of heart or Harry becomes a death eater or whatever, so then the person as we know him has died. I know it sounds strange, it's just a thought I was having.
:rock: I mourn for those who never knew you

Click here for kick booty music!!

American by birth, Texan by the grace of God

This is where you can find me if I'm not on for a while
Rachel

Postby Bobtheduck » Sat Aug 27, 2005 1:49 am

Reading the forums on Veritaserum, I found a lot of interesting theories...

1. Snape "softened" the Avada Kedavra somehow, think Sleeping Beauty.
2. Dumbledore was an animagi, and people take on characteristics of the animals they transform into... Well, what is the most important characteristic of a Phoenix... I said "Fire" but the answer, of course, is rebirth... I think Dumbledore may be reborn, perhaps only as a Phoenix... Well, I liked that Theory, anyhow...

I noticed how protective of Harry snape was still being after he killed Dumbledore... I think that may line of with the "double unbreakable oath" theory, as well as other theories that he's not completely evil...

Also, Draco... I wasn't in full capacity when I read the last few chapters last time, but I reread them tonight, and the way they are making Draco out to be a sympathetic character seems to contradict things that Rowling had said in interviews... Maybe she isn't being entirely honest... That means the next book could be a rather large surprise...

As for Harry being the horcrux, I think it may have happened by accident... When Voldy tried to kill Harry, it backfired and the piece of his soul he was reserving for something else ended up inside of Harry, perhaps in the form of his scar. Let's just look at the analogies drawn in the books to see further suggestions of that sort: Voldy was a racist, is starting a large war, and had plans for a holocaust, though he was not pureblood himself... So, hitler had a few big symbols... The swastika is too easily recognized, so that would never be used. However, the SS symbol was a lightning bolt, identical to the one on Harry's forehead... So, that symbol is a symbol of Voldemort...

This is recited off the top of my head, so it may not be completely accurate.

Q: Is the shape of Harry's scar going to be important later on?
A: The scar will be very important, not so much the shape...

Well, I think that perhaps she didn't say the shape was important because she didn't want to get people thinking about the analogies, and they aren't really important to the plot, but I think that is a clue... The scar is something from Voldemort himself... I think Harry became the horcrux by accident, and Voldy may not even have figured it out at that time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evcNPfZlrZs Watch this movie なう。 It's legal, free... And it's more than its premise. It's not saying Fast Food is good food. Just watch it.
Legend of Crying Bronies: Twilight's a Princess
Bobtheduck

Postby uc pseudonym » Sat Aug 27, 2005 9:37 am

Bobtheduck wrote:1. Snape "softened" the Avada Kedavra somehow, think Sleeping Beauty.
2. Dumbledore was an animagi, and people take on characteristics of the animals they transform into... Well, what is the most important characteristic of a Phoenix... I said "Fire" but the answer, of course, is rebirth... I think Dumbledore may be reborn, perhaps only as a Phoenix... Well, I liked that Theory, anyhow...

Heh. Both of those are pretty far out there, but the second is rather interesting. I would completely doubt the Animagi detail, but the the phoenix idea is interesting... if highly unlikely.

BobtheDuck wrote:I noticed how protective of Harry snape was still being after he killed Dumbledore... I think that may line of with the "double unbreakable oath" theory, as well as other theories that he's not completely evil...

I do think the double-oath theory has validity.

BobtheDuck wrote:As for Harry being the horcrux, I think it may have happened by accident... When Voldy tried to kill Harry, it backfired and the piece of his soul he was reserving for something else ended up inside of Harry, perhaps in the form of his scar. Let's just look at the analogies drawn in the books to see further suggestions of that sort: Voldy was a racist, is starting a large war, and had plans for a holocaust, though he was not pureblood himself... So, hitler had a few big symbols... The swastika is too easily recognized, so that would never be used. However, the SS symbol was a lightning bolt, identical to the one on Harry's forehead... So, that symbol is a symbol of Voldemort...

That's very interesting, though I wouldn't credit Rowling with something like that. It would be on a very different plane from the rest of her writing.
uc pseudonym

Postby Arnobius » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:25 am

uc pseudonym wrote:That's very interesting, though I wouldn't credit Rowling with something like that. It would be on a very different plane from the rest of her writing.

I think it makes sense. After all, I found some very modern political references in the latest book (I'll avoid mentioning them to avoid breaking the no politics rule) done by the Ministry. I thought the racist angle was long telegraphed, and as for Voldemort being half muggle, there was a rumor going around (you can actually see it in the Osamu Tezuka manga Adolf), that Hitler was part Jewish, which was used in a BBC show about Hitler...

So maybe Bob the Duck is on to something
Arnobius

Previous

Return to Book Corner