Little Women + Good Wives

A place to discuss your favorite authors and poets, Christian and secular

Little Women + Good Wives

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:40 am

Who likes this book? I LOVE IT!! I've almost finished reading it for the umpteenth time.
I love this book because it is funny, sweet, yet very wholesome. My fav characters are Jo and Beth, followed very closely by Teddie. XD The movie is also very good, though I think I prefer the book (esp Mr Bhear in the book, he just seems more believable)

Edit: O, btw, the author is Louisa May Alcott :thumb:
Hephzibah

Postby lionheart » Thu Jun 02, 2005 12:47 am

You might want to move the spoiler further down the page. Not that I care about it or anything... I'd just hate to see someone get upset about it, that's all.
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Jun 02, 2005 1:19 am

... Im a little ashamed to say this, but the part when [spoiler]Beth dies [/spoiler]
is my favourite bit of the book. Not because of the situation, but just because of how sweet it is! The way that the author writes it is extremely touching and it always affects me. It makes me want to go away and be a saint for the rest of my days :P

btw, have you read the book matie? What did you think of it?

Edit:
Voila!!! I have changed it! To your liking, I trust matie?
Hephzibah

Postby lionheart » Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:39 am

I didn't mean it exactly like that! What I meant, was that the text shown in the spoiler tag is visible when you move the mouse pointer over the thread title. :P

I had gotten a rather unfriendly response to one of my posts when I mentioned something that I believed was fairly safe. And was told in no uncertain terms to use spoiler tags next time by the person who perceived it as a spoiler.

So I just wanted to give you a heads-up about it, lest someone would overreact and responded unkindly. :(

I haven't read either of those books yet, but if you recommend them I'll check one out right after I get through with Walter Scott's Rob Roy. :)
"What kind of farmer are you who goes armed like a pirate?"-Jublain from Sackett's Land
lionheart

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Jun 02, 2005 3:08 am

:thumb: There we go matie, I have changed it for thee. Thanks for the head's up btw! Very thoughtful of you :grin:

Anyway, this is a bit off topic but what's Rob Roy about?
Hephzibah

Postby lionheart » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:10 am

Oh good, It's all better now! ;)

To keep your thread from getting hijacked, I'll probably just put what I was going to post here, in the 'what book are you reading thread'. That okay with you?

*edit* Nevermind the earlier request, when I get a chance to read it, I'll find out for myself :P *
lionheart

Postby Rita » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:28 am

Yeah, I must say I liked the book and the movie, but I think the book is better. I love Beth, and Amy when she grows up, she's a bit bratty as a little girl. :P
"Your beauty should not come from outward adornment...Instead it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight." 1 Peter 3:3-5
Rita

Postby Hephzibah » Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:18 am

An overview of the story eh?
hmm, well its pretty much about 4 girls and their neighbour, laurie. The girls are poor, but learn as they grow that money isn't everything and that family and love is by far more important. Laurie (AKA Teddy) is a rich guy living in the care of his strict grandfather, and so befriends the girls and becomes a brother to them.

Little Women is about them growing up, and Good Wives is them learning to be adults and falling in love, etc. Overall, two very lovely books.
Hephzibah

Postby lionheart » Tue Jun 07, 2005 5:53 pm

As recompense for having three posts in this topic that have little/nothing to do with the book, I'll provide this link. :grin: (It's like my third favorite website ever! And yes, it has a direct link to this topic.)

From the little bit I've read of it, while not the type of story that I'll typically read, it has a certain charm to it. I'll be sure to attempt reading the entire book when I have the free time. :P
lionheart

Postby lionheart » Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:05 am

Huzzah! I finally finished all 47 chapters of it!

Well it looks like I've proven myself wrong. That was EXACTLY the type of book that I normally read. (That is, whenever I can find one.) Stories that have especially noble-hearted characters in them are always my favorites.

My favorite characters were Beth and Jo. Beth because she's so kindhearted, and Jo because, she wasn't really affected by other peoples opinions.

I really liked the book overall, I'd say that it's my new #3 favorite. The only complaints that I have against it are the three or so times that it mentions how other books do this, or other books do that. It's only a minor complaint, but I feel that it disrupts the flow of the story when writers do things like that.

[spoiler] You're right Talame, the part where Beth dies was one of the most beautiful in the book. My eyes were wet for at least half of the chapter… [/spoiler]
I really liked chapter forty as well. I thought that Professor Bhaer was really cool for always trying to guide the people within his range of influence for their better, even if it was difficult for him at times.

Overall I thought that it was a really great book! :thumb:
lionheart

Return to Book Corner