Anyone know what medium Miyazaki used for Nausicaa manga?

Homework giving you a headache? Math gives you a migraine? Can't quite figure out how to do something in photoshop? Never fear, the other members of CAA share their expertise in this forum.

Anyone know what medium Miyazaki used for Nausicaa manga?

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Thu Mar 30, 2006 7:02 pm

I'm really enjoying the Nausicaa manga so far (bought and have now read the first 4 volumes). The art style is really cool - I love the blend of manga style of art with the more European comic style. His work is very detailed, original and cinematic.

Does anyone know where he got his ideas for all the technologies, clothing etc? It's so good!
Also I was wondering if anyone knew what medium he used to draw the manga?
(Now to save up to buy the last 3 parts)

Thank you!
Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby termyt » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:50 am

I really don't know for certain.

His color drawings look a little like water colors to me, but to do such fine work in water colors seems to be rather unlikely.

Given that, I'd wager he uses a rougher style paper for his drawings then what's typically used for finished work. Not that I'm good enough to tell the difference. It's just a feeling I get.
[color="Red"]Please visit Love146.org[/color]
A member of the Society of Hatted Members
If your pedantic about grammar, its unlikely that you'll copy and paste this into your sig, to.
termyt

Postby Esoteric » Fri Mar 31, 2006 7:29 am

Do you have a sample image I could see? I know a lot of the Miyazaki manga/story books are actually 'screen captures' so to speak, but I'm not familiar with the Nausicaa manga.
Esoteric

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Fri Mar 31, 2006 6:44 pm

Warrior 4 Jesus

Postby Esoteric » Sat Apr 01, 2006 7:24 am

Hmmmm, actually, that looks like pen and ink with screentone. I really don't see anything that looks like watercolor, unless he substituted watercolor for the screentone shading (the detail is too small to see for sure). Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's ink, he just has a very light and unique rendering style.
It is my understanding that Miyazaki loves vintage aircraft. The name of his studio, Ghibli, is derived from a french or italian name for a hot desert wind. I believe it is also the name of an old airplane. By adding his own style to this sort of technical inspiration, you can see where he gets many of his ideas, especially in Nausicaa.
Esoteric

Postby Warrior 4 Jesus » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:42 pm

Thanks Esoteric! I had that thought too. In reference to the watercolours, I think Termyt's talking about the manga cover illustrations and the poster inserts found inside some of the manga. They are done in watercolours.
Warrior 4 Jesus

Return to Tutorials